• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Why Spike is hitting the reset button on its video game awards

The reason why TLoU should get that award is cause its a new ip, its amazing in every aspect from the music, to the story and characters. Where as the GTA franchise has already won this award in the past already.

Just don't see the logic for it winning this time, but not up to me. Still disappointed.

no the reason why TLoU should get that award is because its the better video game.

not to take anything away from GTAV, i'm not gonna call it crap (because it wasn't, at all), but TLoU deserves GOTY.

Frolow

Banned
The whole rockstar dev team there in person? GTA V GOTY confirmed? I sure hope TLoU gets it.

I'm hoping GTA V gets the award solely for the gaf meltdowns.

Regardless, it sounds like they're greatly improving the show this year. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

I can totally see Rockstar winning Best Studio and TLOU winning GotY. Usually those two go hand and hand, but sometimes Best Director and Best Picture don't line up(like last year)

GetemMa

Sony appealing to core gamers, Nintendo in desperate need of core gamers, and now VGX is trying to appeal to the core gamers.
Microsoft is the only one still going for the casuals.

Well lets not fool ourselves.

Neither Sony nor MS will sell 80 million consoles again without the casuals who only buy Madden and COD.

I think PS4/Xbone will sell significantly less than their predecessors when the dust settles and both decide to move on to yet another console.

SirCrush

I've always liked the VGAs anyways...really looking forward to this year's. Hopefully they just try to do a glorified E3 presentation set. Them pressers are entertaining as hell, if a little sloppy in delivery.

Haha, I didn't ask for more developers on stage, especially if they're going to be reading the teleprompter or awkwardly introducing their trailer.

On the couch, conversationally? Sure. Get them in their own element though, rather than plopping them on stage.

aly

I'm hoping GTA V gets the award solely for the gaf meltdowns.

Regardless, it sounds like they're greatly improving the show this year. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Why would that cause a meltdown? I think Super Mario 3D World winning would cause bigger meltdowns.

proccor

Neo Member
I wonder if this is response from the general gaming public, game journalists, and videos like when Angry Joe tried to interview Geoff Keighley.... or because the Awards show on Spike was not worth continuing on TV.

Derrick01

Banned
Oh cool Rockstar's bringing all 40 million people that worked on GTA? Hopefully they're all on stage when they win the goty award.

Toki767

I'm guessing GTA V/The Last of Us will win Game of the year and the game that doesn't will probably win Studio of the Year.

It's so Hollywood and it's not for us.' So what we said this year was, let's try something completely different.

Of course. It's definitely not because the ratings were horrible and SPIKE kicked you out ...

Still, I'm definitely looking forward to the new and improved version. No celebrities and commercial breaks just sounds too good.

JC Lately

This looks good, but I'm already dreading the "where are all the women devs at?" Twitter outrage come Sunday morning from the Anitas of the world. Regardless of how many actually wind being shown/interviewed.

I would like to believe the format is all amazing and incredible, but I'm expecting to tune in and see McDonalds, Mountain Dew, and Doritos.

Even if they manage to be classy about the whole thing, they still have to get over the hump of not seeming like it's just an industry patting itself on the back (see Oscars, Grammies, Emmies, etc)

RaikuHebi

Banned
"People love to hate on us," Keighley said in a recent interview with Polygon. "'It's always over-commercialized. It's so Hollywood and it's not for us.' So what we said this year was, let's try something completely different. We're giving the show exactly what gamers have told us they want, which is more content, more news, more developers on stage, more awards."

WE DID IT GAF!

#4ThePlayers.

Silky

Banned
VGA/VGX's highlight was letting Jose Gonzalez perform live. That was rad

I like this new direction actually and hope to see it work for them.

sn00zer

Their E3 coverage is fantastic....give games of all shapes and sizes the spotlight....hope its more akin to that...also it says "all day" so is this starting at 6AM and going "all day" or is it 6PM-9PM?

UberTag

Hope you people actually watch it.
I would have watched VGX but they should have stuck with their Friday timeslot.
I've got sports & movies and other stuff going on this weekend. Will catch the recap on GAF afterwards.

Rootbeer

Banned
Huge props to them for going this route. It sounds like their heart is in the right place, now all that's left is execution.

I will be watching tomorrow, most definitely.

Hope you people actually watch it.
iykhutHpt76Me.jpg

I would have watched VGX but they should have stuck with their Friday timeslot.
I've got sports & movies and other stuff going on this weekend. Will catch the recap on GAF afterwards.
I totally agree. It's kind of weird that they've scheduled themselves against stuff that has a decent chance of drawing away big chunks of their audience. I'm a big nerd, but I love the shit out of college football, especially with my alma mater going into the national championship.

Top Bottom