• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Why Spike is hitting the reset button on its video game awards

antitrop

I found the game to be a chore to get through because of that and the level design
This must have been a really rough year of NeoGAF for Shawn Elliot, your opinion on the game is certainly not underrepresented amongst the hardcore.

I thought the level design was good enough for a shooter. Sure, they're just pretty combat arenas, but I thought they were well designed and allowed for a nice bit of creativity with the tools available to you (tears, skyrails, vigor combos). Yeah, the game was held back by the ability to only carry two weapons and digging through trash for items/money is a mechanic that probably should have been left behind with Bioshock 2, but I definitely had fun experimenting with different weapon/vigor combos and riding the Skyrails like a rollercoaster in combat, it had a nice fluidity to it that I really enjoyed.

The last thing I want is more awards, just make it another e3, make it an hour of announcements and at the last second shit out a game of the year award nobody will care about, thats how you will appeal to me at least.

Cuburt

I like what Keighley is doing with this. My respect for the show has gone up and I will be tuning in for the first time ever.

the thing i loved the most about TLoU is that the combat situations were dynamic. My brother had a totally different experience playing through the game than I did.

antonz

a live performance of the music of Grand Theft Auto 5

Really? I mean the best music generally in GTA games is what they license. Generic made GTA music is never that great to need a concert.

Mindlog

Good luck!
Clearly December has some announcement appeal, the industry likes awards and game enthusiasts want to be entertained. There are just so many audiences to please that's it's hard to make a product out of that. The people in charge seem to be giving it an honest effort. Even if it's great I'm sure some of the hate will continue unabated.

I just want some decent news. Award shows/GotY rankings aren't meaningful enough to keep my attention.

original

To be fair I actually really liked TLOU

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Did i read that right? ALL of R*North? Isn't that like 200+ people easy??

Fuckin GOTY for sure unless R* got some Kanye level "immaletyoufinish" shit planned...

the thing i loved the most about TLoU is that the combat situations were dynamic. My brother had a totally different experience playing through the game than I did.

This is probably one of the most satisfying conversations to have with friends/other players after beating the game and putting a good 80+ hours into the multiplayer.
Brick or Bottle?
Quiet and Slow or Distracting loud?
Dangerous Melee or Precision shooting?

When i told my boss who bought the game about a week and a half after release that you could run up on fools after pegging them in the head with a brick and one shot them with ANY melee weapon he was like "no fuckin way. I might have to go back a few chapters to save ammo now..."

Such a great fuckin game.

fizzgigg

Banned
If GTA5 wins It will mean viewers voted and thats because everyone has a copy of GTA5...

Not everyone owns a ps3 and that is why TLOU should win more reasons for you to buy a ps3 and play the game.

I swear if GTA5 wins tomorrow I will never watch that show. I dont care how much it sold or how better it was its still GTA and not a GOTY material sorry. Blowing stuff up and stealing cars is not GOTY.

I will be butthurt because gaming is a hobby of mine and Playing both GTA5 and TLOU its quiet easy to see the better game.

If GTA5 wins It will mean viewers voted and thats because everyone has a copy of GTA5...

Not everyone owns a ps3 and that is why TLOU should win more reasons for you to buy a ps3 and play the game.

I swear if GTA5 wins tomorrow I will never watch that show. I dont care how much it sold or how better it was its still GTA and not a GOTY material sorry. Blowing stuff up and stealing cars is not GOTY.

I will be butthurt because gaming is a hobby of mine and Playing both GTA5 and TLOU its quiet easy to see the better game.

You really must not have played GTA5 much then. The acting, the music, how every little detail is there in the world. The heists and missions are fantastic. They've successfully created a living breathing world in a game where npcs actually act like real people and not mindless drones. Also it's the first GTA game in 5 years and definitely should be eligible for an award(although these awards are meaningless).

MC Safety

"Hating on" is the dumbest phrase ever.

You hate something. The on is wholly superfluous and also stupid.

People hate the Spike video game awards, Geoff Keighley. They hated the old format.

lucius

I hope you can download it later or stream it later, or else I will be stuck with watching the highlights show on my DVR.

Kaswa101

The reason why TLoU should get that award is cause its a new ip, its amazing in every aspect from the music, to the story and characters. Where as the GTA franchise has already won this award in the past already.

Just don't see the logic for it winning this time, but not up to me. Still disappointed.

Yep. GTA is kind of the "obvious" winner, so i'm holding out hope that it won't win. Give it to something more unique.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
15 minute gameplay segments actually turns me off from watching live. Some of those games are bound to be ones I'm not that interested in, plus watching a dev/PR playing a game for 15 minutes isn't that interesting. Extended demos during e3 press conferences are always a low point for me.

Hopefully there won't be too many of them

I hope you can download it later or stream it later, or else I will be stuck with watching the highlights show on my DVR.

Good point - presumably game trailers will be recording this and putting the video up immediately afterwards so we can watch in high quality (and skip the boring bits)? Or maybe they might have to wait until after the spike highlights are broadcast?

Yep. GTA is kind of the "obvious" winner, so i'm holding out hope that it won't win. Give it to something more unique.
You give an award to something that you think is the best, not to make some stupid point or push an agenda.

If a game is the 1000th sequel in a series and it happens to be better than everything else then give it that damn award.

I personally liked Last of Us more.

I found last year's VGAs to be quite watchable and reasonably mature, especially in comparison to the year before. Let's hope this year is an evolution of that. From Geoff's statements, it sounds like that's at least the direction they're hoping to head in.

pa22word

Even though I feel it's the best game up, I honestly want Mario U to win only to upstage everyone and so I can laugh at the chaos that ensues. But you know, I think it says something about this industry that the best designed game up on that list is probably the biggest underdog.

AHA-Lambda

This sounds like a really good big change to me, hope it comes together :)

Last year was much better, so I've got hopes.

KHlover

Banned
Even though I feel it's the best game up, I honestly want Mario U to win only to upstage everyone and so I can laugh at the chaos that ensues. But you know, I think it says something about this industry that the best designed game up on that list is probably the biggest underdog.
We'll still have Reggie ; D

So from that stealth comment. GTA5 wins GOTY.... Not completely disappointed but I still feel like it's another regular age old popular ip winning against a new one. Sucks but congrats I guess. I'm horribly conflicted because Rockstar is my number one favorite studio and Naughty Dog isn't but I still feel like TLOU really deserves it.

Toki767

I'm still actually thinking maybe The Last of Us wins Game of the year and Rockstar North wins Studio of the Year or vice versa. They never usually let one game/studio sweep awards in this and tend to spread them out.

wapplew

As much as I want TLOU win GOTY, I hope they can give it to Mario.
Give every developer a reminder of game at it's root, gameplay, level design, fun.
Also it's about time to give Japanese developers some encouragement.

For TLOU, I'll seriously disappoint if they don't get both best voice acting and music.

wildfire

Banned
This approach also fits into the broader idea that games are typically not the creation of a single person, or even the number you can cram onto a stage.

"Game making is such a collaborative effort," Keighley said. "It's not always fair that just one person is up on stage accepting the awards. So we're going to have all of these pieces throughout the day that will come from all of the winners. You'll see those running in the lead up to the show, inside the show and we will be doing game of the year as a live acceptance as well."

That's Fucking great.

I'll try to double dip so I can see what they decided to cut out for the Monday broadcast.

I'm surprised at how many different websites they are going to push this on which is a very smart move on their part. It just won't be on Gametrailer or Spike as I originally thought. Getting it on sites as diverse as Hulu, Comedy Central, MTV and BET is smart.

The one thing that concerns me about the technical aspects is that they are attempting to stream on so many consumption devices. I have my doubts they have figured out all the technical hurdles.

Mononoke

Banned
So....should Spike hit the reset button again? Or just pull the plug already?

I personally didn't think this was as bad as past VGAs. But it didn't make a lot of sense. I mean, the whole point of this new format, was to bring more legitimacy to the award show. To make it more about the games, and not the spectacle it had become.

And while it was certainly dialed back, it felt very clumsy and awkward and Joel McHale (which again I actually do like a lot) throwing out all the crass humor at the wrong times (interrupting interviews with the devs). It just seemed to defeat the purpose of the tone Geoff was going for.

Top Bottom