• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pope Francis: Fake news is like getting sexually aroused by faeces

Status
Not open for further replies.
waiting-game-meme-generator-and-now-the-waiting-game-07fc04.PNG

And now the wait for the inevitable 'scandal' involving just this type of thing in the Catholic Church.

Monocle

Anyone who can bring themselves to eat poop must be an extremely motivated individual. Who are we to stop people from gobbling succulent turds? They'd just go to waste in the sewer anyway.

It's like when you go to a coffee shop five minutes before closing and they're about to throw away all their scones, so they let you take your pick. Except instead of scones on a shelf it's turds from someone's butt. But otherwise it's exactly the same.

Sometimes I can't help but focus on negative news like the true stories about how Jesuits like this Pope sent home unnecessarily gruesome reports about native tribes in America. Mainly to justify forced conversion to Christianity. What is the old Catholic and Jesuit playbook on this subject compared to their holier than thou facade?

Is this one of those lost in translation things?

Like, could this just be some common metaphor used in in argentina spanish or w/e?

Sometimes I can't help but focus on negative news like the true stories about how Jesuits like this Pope sent home unnecessarily gruesome reports about native tribes in America. Mainly to justify forced conversion to Christianity. What is the old Catholic and Jesuit playbook on this subject compared to their holier than thou facade?

Huh?

zeemumu

Is there another source on this?
Or does anyone know about independent.ie ?

I googled it and other well-known sources are reporting on it as well, so it's either a group effort to teach us a lesson about fake news, which seems counterproductive if everyone reports it, or it's legit.

Bolivar687

Banned
Is this one of those lost in translation things?

Like, could this just be some common metaphor used in in argentina spanish or w/e?

From what I've read, he's evoking the metaphor we commonly use in English as well, that someone's rhetoric is full of shit, although obviously the Pope is going to use more sophisticated vocabulary. He's talking about how it's fun to write and read overly negative articles but that they often obscure the truth or different perspectives. In doing this, the media is talking shit, spreading shit, and subsequently what we're reading is garbage.

Of course coprophilia has a sexual connotation to it but this is the only article I've read insinuating that the Pope is explicitly invoking sexual imagery.

In the colonial era Catholic missionaries made up very dark stories about savage natives to influence European policy. The current pope is from this school of missionary training.

Much like the Catholic Church is too enormous and diverse for monolithic generalizations, so too are multinational orders like the Jesuits. The Jesuits in the colonial era were renowned for spreading Christianity without the use of force, for living among the natives, learning their languages and preserving their cultures. They helped eradicate the Spanish forced labor system in the New World and at times were the only advocates for the indigenous. This caused them to often come under attack by the European settlers or to be forcibly expelled by the monarchs. In China, they helped spread scientific knowledge at a time when it had declined and are credited with initiating a scientific revolution there. Their humanitarian and scientific legacy continues today, as they currently run more Universities around the globe than any other organization and have economic empowerment programs in every corner of the world.

I've never heard of the specific incident you're referring to but I hope you recognize how unreasonable it is to attribute that to the entire Jesuits order, the priesthood generally, or to Pope Francis hundreds of years later.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
He could have just said that writing fake news is like producing shit, but he had to be oddly specific and make it all weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom