• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portland Police tackle protestors blocking traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boke1879

So what's the point of protesting. Isn't the idea behind a protest to get the general public to support your cause? If that's not the point, you may as well yell into a pillow.

All of the idiots that do stuff like this completely undermine the message they are trying to send.

Oh boo boo. You want people to protest as long as it doesn't get in your way. FOH here with that. They blocked traffic. Nobody had to be tackled.

You have people in this thread saying they should be run over.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Protesting often isn't about getting the public to like you. It is about forcing the powers-that-be to hear your grievances.

Seems like you should target the powers that be then.

Protest outside their offices or even their homes.

Target the people you want to listen to you.

Don't piss off random people in the hope someone will turn to your side faster than the public demands they turn against you.

Ms.Galaxy

One more thing, what the Portland Police just did will actually just encourage more protests and even more people to join in. You cannot disrupt a protest like this and expect people to go away quietly, they will come back even stronger and larger than before.

Don't piss off random people in the hope someone will turn to your side faster than the public demands they turn against you.

That doesn't work, not alone at least. Those on the top have the pure luxury that they can ignore you. What they can't ignore is the bad PR and businesses hurting that protests can cause.

So what's the point of protesting. Isn't the idea behind a protest to get the general public to support your cause? If that's not the point, you may as well yell into a pillow.

All of the idiots that do stuff like this completely undermine the message they are trying to send.

Protesting often isn't about getting the public to like you. It is about forcing the powers-that-be to hear your grievances.

This. There was nothing peaceful or charitable to people on the fence about homosexuality in regards to the Stonewall riots but without it the boom in LGBTQ+ advocacy groups and the public perception that gay people weren't going anywhere wouldn't exist. Civil rights protest were completely financially disruptive and people despised them simply for protesting in the first place, let alone the effects of the Montgomery Bus Boycott, but they were still a factor in the progress toward racial equality.

Oh boo boo. You want people to protest as long as it doesn't get in your way. FOH here with that. They blocked traffic. Nobody had to be tackled.

You have people in this thread saying they should be run over.

I think only one guy said that, and he said he was being sarcastic. Although I will admit it is getting harder to tell what is sarcasim and what isn't anymore..

I'd be pissed of if I was on the way to work and riding on that bus. You want to protest, fine. Do it where it doesn't interfere with other peoples lives.

Got

Banned
Is it amazing that in every fucking protest thread there are ignorant people who spew the same tired talking points and cast aspersions on protesting methods?

Did you chuckleheads miss the other threads? or do you just ignore the history of protesting and what it is and can entail?

the good thing is your meaningless concern for inconveniencing other people has no affect on actual protests as people will still do it how they want.

NANA RUTH!!!!!!!!!!

I'd be pissed of if I was on the way to work and riding on that bus. You want to protest, fine. Do it where it doesn't interfere with other peoples lives.

To quote a guy named Martin Luther King Jr "Nonviolent direct action seeks to create such a crisis and foster such a tension that a community which has constantly refused to negotiate is forced to confront the issue. It seeks so to dramatize the issue that it can no longer be ignored."

Protest always interferes with peoples lives. Even the Women's March interfered with people's lives because it was large and not 100% in lock step.

Correct. Organize, ask for approvals and march on Washington if you want to be heard. Fucking with random strangers doesn't get anyone to listen to you, they just drown you out.

Regarding the commentary on the Nashville sit-ins, they ultimately got results when the marched on the Mayor's office. Prior to that, they allegedly followed this code of conduct in the sit-ins.

"Do not strike back or curse if abused. Do not laugh out. Do not hold conversations with the floor walker. Do not leave your seat until your leader has given you permission to do so. Do not block entrances to stores outside nor the aisles inside. Do show yourself courteous and friendly at all times. Do sit straight; always face the counter. Do report all serious incidents to your leader. Do refer information seekers to your leader in a polite manner. Remember the teachings of Jesus, Gandhi, Martin Luther King. Love and nonviolence is the way."

How does this line up with blocking traffic?

Jenov

Hopping on the front of a moving bus is not peaceful. Nor is it disrupting a group that should be targeted - public transportation primarily serves lower-income residents.

^^^This. Which is why I don't see much of a problem with the video. Go protest the local government building or a big bank. Why block poor people taking a bus trying to get to their jobs?

Averon

You know what get officials to take action and hear grievances? When their offices are being flooded with pissed off constituents because protesters made them late for work.

Pissing off the general public to force officials to listen to them have been a staple of protesting for a long time.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously: how about instead of setting up in a random street, you set up in front of the parking garage at City Hall or the street in front of the entrance to a large multinational bank or even go the houses of top politicians/bank executives and surround their driveways so they can't leave in the morning?

I'm fine with using protest to disrupt, but one should really try to disrupt the actions of those that oppress you, rather than society in general.

After all, civil rights activists didn't stage sit ins at random restaurants, they set specific targets. The Stonewall protests didn't occur blocks from the bar, they occurred in direct opposition to police presence.

Ms.Galaxy

^^^This. Which is why I don't see much of a problem with the video. Go protest the local government building or a big bank. Why block poor people taking a bus trying to get to their jobs?

I just said, those on the top have the luxury to ignore you if you focus on local government buildings and big banks, what they can't ignore is bad PR and businesses suffering because of protests, so they have to do something. Since arresting them or attacking them only leads to more and larger protests, they have to talk to them. It's a strategy that works fairly well, just look at the Civil Rights Era and Stonewall.

gcubed

and this is why nothing of consequence will come from opposition in the US.

Everyone should protest!

Just not by me...

The issue here is the violence. If those police had put him in handcuffs and arrested him people wouldn't be as upset. Discussing what is and isn't the right way to protest is getting away from why people are angry. IMO at least

If it was a right wing protest would you believe the same?

I have a feeling many wouldn't.

I personally would. If a bunch of pro-lifers wanted to waltz across the street while I'm driving to work, I could be pissed, I could disagree but protesting is their right.

The issue here is the violence. If those police had put him in handcuffs and arrested him people wouldn't be as upset. Discussing what is and isn't the right way to protest is getting away from why people are angry. IMO at least

It is the major issue. Police are in charge of how reckless things get. Disruptive people can be arrested. But too many times, they arrive itching for a fight.

marrec

Banned
and this is why nothing of consequence will come from opposition in the US.

Everyone should protest!

Just not by me...

What if I really need a coffee and you're blocking the road to the place where I get coffee?

Did you think about that mr. anarchist?

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
You know what get officials to take action and hear grievances? When their offices are being flooded with pissed off constituents because protesters made them late for work.

Pissing off the general public to force officials to listen to them have been a staple of protesting for a long time.

Right now, all that is happening is the public is demanding to get protesters off their streets. Thats all they really care about.

If you're a local mayor or county Executive, what's eaiser: getting rid of someone in a higher office than you in the hopes that eliminates such protests, or giving the police more leeway to crack down on disruptive protesters?

I personally would. If a bunch of pro-lifers wanted to waltz across the street while I'm driving to work, I could be pissed, I could disagree but protesting is their right.
I saw this in London, Ontario, Canada a few years ago compete with dead babies on a sign.

Kept driving.

Shmuppers

I don't contest the protester's legal right to do this stuff, and I don't think it should be taken from them.

But ffs just let me get to work/school/whatever.

Averon

If this thread tells me anything, it is that the GOP will be very successful in passing anti-protesting laws nation-wide.

If this thread tells me anything, it is that the GOP will be very successful in passing anti-protesting laws nation-wide.

It's really scary. When the police beat the protesters on the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma, 1965, the national audience was horrified to action. Today, police tackle protesters and we have people cheering.

krazen

This thread cements it; society's over.

People gleefully clapping basically the gov clamping down on peaceful protest against facism because of traffic. In 'Murica.

It shows why my parents had to drink out of segregates water fountains; nobody wants positive change if causes an even slight annoyance in their personal lives.

Averon

Right now, all that is happening is the public is demanding to get protesters off their streets. Thats all they really care about.

If you're a local mayor or county Executive, what's eaiser: getting rid of someone in a higher office than you in the hopes that eliminates such protests, or giving the police more leeway to crack down on disruptive protesters?

If it was as simple as that, then the Civil Rights movement should have been an utter failure. You think the general public supported the disruption the CRM caused? The disruption then was immense and was a daily thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sit-in

a lot of people realize that in the grand scheme of things an inconvenienced bus rider is definitely going to have a lot fewer problems for the day than a group of people standing in a crosswalk who are brutalized and arrested by a bunch of overstimulated police officers?

i think that a lot of the people in this thread who want to defend police brutality in response to a small group of people standing in a crosswalk are just going to have to be honest with themselves and square up with the fact that their ideology is incompatible with protests/demonstrations in general.

non-peaceful protestors are arrested, peaceful protestors are attacked, beaten, and arrested. you can't win. at the women's march in DC last week, 200 people, journalists and lawyers included, were arrested for protesting: http://www.alternet.org/trumps-amer...n-protesters-signal-dangerous-wave-repression

is attacking a protest with this amount of force actually justice? if you think so i feel like you might have an obsession with respectability at the price of your own values.

It's really scary. When the police beat the protesters on the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma, 1965, the national audience was horrified to action. Today, police tackle protesters and we have people cheering.

But I have to go to work!

It just goes to show you how selfish people are. It's fine until it's an inconvenience to them.

D1337

Banned
holy shit people are cheering this? did we watch the same video? you all have such a boner for cops that you want to see people thrown to the fucking ground just for standing in traffic?

":just for standing in traffic"

Being tackled to the ground is a lot better outcome than being hit by a car. Get out of the road. Its weird that it being a protest makes it "ok" in some peoples eyes. So if they weren't protesting and just standing in the middle of the road it would still be ok to just stand there? Or its ok cuz they are trying to protest?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I do hate it when people block traffic and make me late for stuff, even if I agree with the protest. Like, it's not me you're protesting, why are you fucking up my day?

(Haven't watched the video, so this isn't a comment on this specific situation. Obviously I don't support unwarranted police brutality.)

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
You guys thought I was serious? Good god.

There are plenty of people who express the same want of hitting people with their cars in any bicycling thread about bikes on public roads. So it isn't hard to jump to a conclusion that you were serious.

I don't contest the protester's legal right to do this stuff, and I don't think it should be taken from them.

But ffs just let me get to work/school/whatever.

To again quote Dr King:
"First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action""

We need to stop obsessing over the "right" way to protest. A nonviolent protest should never be allowed to be met with violence from the state.

I'm fine with using protest to disrupt, but one should really try to disrupt the actions of those that oppress you, rather than society in general.

It's almost like society, or at least part of it, is also to blame for this shitstorm of an administration and not just "the oppressors"!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sit-in

non-peaceful protestors are arrested, peaceful protestors are attacked, beaten, and arrested. you can't win. at the women's march in DC last week, 200 people, journalists and lawyers included, were arrested for protesting: http://www.alternet.org/trumps-amer...n-protesters-signal-dangerous-wave-repression

is attacking a protest with this amount of force actually justice? if you think so i feel like you might have an obsession with respectability at the price of your own values.

There were no arrests at the Women's march. The arrests were at the inauguration where people were breaking windows, throwing stuff at police and lighting cars on fire. That was not a peaceful protest in the end.

The women's march was, and they got the required approvals to make sure nothing went wrong. Thus, no arrests.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
To again quote Dr King:
"First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action""

We need to stop obsessing over the "right" way to protest. A nonviolent protest should never be allowed to be met with violence from the state.

You are talking to people who think protesting means hitting the Retweet button. Real sacrifice or standing up for anything is so foreign to them that it is scary. These people would have been just fine sitting in the back of the bus or told that they couldn't drink from water fountains. Just a big ball of complacency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom