• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portland Police tackle protestors blocking traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chumley

Banned
Its funny you think that proves anything. Its entirely possible that I can both sincerely think that and think your protest logic is flawed. You have no idea how I spend my time or money for political causes but do carry on, I'm out since there's no point in discussion here. Treat it as a victory if you wish.

yjfkmo.gif

Lowmelody

You are aware that realising that protests can disadvantage hypothetical people other than yourself is actually a sign of empathy right ?

Empathy for the inconvenienced. The thing that is so twisted about all this concern for the hypothetical inconveniences it has on the uninitiated is that it does not come from the same people that are vocal about people of color continuously having their lives ended or ruined because of state sponsored racism.

It's going out of your way to feel empathy for disaffected and privileged, rather than feel empathy for those whose lives are in actually in danger every day because they aren't white.

And yes, they are diametrically opposed. If you are concerned about people's convenience when it comes to protesters then your support was worthless and you were never an ally and if you aren't an ally then your advice is worthless.

Lives over convenience and objects. Agree or FOH.

Jonnax

Just a reminder that these posters in the thread caping for this bullshit aren't anything new. Their entire idea of "correct protesting" is basically 'Do it so I don't have to see or hear about it. Be easily ignorable.' And anything that falls outside of that they will have a problem with, no matter the cause. History repeats.

That horseshit about "Your protests are only HURTING your cause" is fucking bullshit and just another way for people to demand that you shut the fuck up and stop being noticed; because protests that get noticed is often the first step to getting shit done.

Our "allies" brehs...
Those images should be in every OP about a protest.

Derwind

You know what's also an inconvenience? Facism, inequality, corruption....

I'd rather place my concerns there, rather than the slight inconveniences of people having their morning commute delayed.

AYF 001

Protesters impeding normal traffic circa 1776:
a5f4f816c2edc3766339aebb4c197d55.jpg

The fact that so many of these "patriots" today go against so many of the actual principals of their beloved Founding Fathers is proof of how much they've deluded themselves. They prefer to romanticize them as caricatures straight out of Bioshock Infinite to push their own police state worshipping agendas. Add to that how they now actively cheer at Donald trying to implement the very same conspiracies they accused Obama of during his presidency, and you see they've pretty much erected a 1-way reality of blame. And when they declare whatever discrimination or persecution they want to inflict "law", they immediately act as if that gives them the moral high ground.

If they protest in open carry states, then maybe motorists will be more thoughtful, should those legalized vehicular manslaughter laws come to pass.

The people shutting off their empathy in this thread aren't even the ones who got delayed! They're pretending they got delayed. They're theorizing on a hypothetical delay they may or may not ever actually endure.

If only they could put that energy towards being outraged about "what if" situations that are actually guaranteed to cost lives, like say fascism and racism.

Averon

Okay, I hear this over and over again. Until America becomes a full-on fascist state (and we are NOT there yet) the ultimate powers-that-be IS the public. They have voting power, and if you make enemies of them they will vote against you in the next election and all your sacrifices will have helped your enemies.

There is this mistaken notion that the sole purpose of protesting is to gain public support for your cause. That is not at all true. While having wide public support is nice, it is not the first priority of the protestors. The priority is to get officials to actually listen to your grievances. Do you think the civil right movement had wide public support? Far from it. The CRM was extremely disruptive, but they achieved many of their goals because of that disruption and in-spite of wide public disapproval.

Not everybody stuck is just having their time wasted. Even then you're not making allies by disrupting some random person's day. You're just being a nuisance and shouldn't be surprised when the cops are cheered for removing you.
Why are all these Negroes sitting at my lunch counter? I just want a tuna fish sandwich!

RinsFury

It's sadly clear many here take their freedom for granted. "How dare these protestors demonstrate against the authoritarian regime, I could hypothetically be home late for dinner!".

Guess what, once the fascist police state that Trump is pushing for is in place, it'll be too late for protests.

AYF 001

Why are all these Negroes sitting at my lunch counter? I just want a tuna fish sandwich!
You mean economic terrorists, right? I was also thinking of posting that as a caption.

Besides, I've heard "why aren't these kids in school right now?" back during the BLM protests. At 11PM. In July. The lack of self-awareness in some of these concern-trolling counter protestors can be quite astounding.

Yeah people are pretty shitty in general. There is a 2 lane highway that is the only way in and out of town here. A few weeks ago someone was killed in a head on collision. Traffic got backed up. Instead of being patient and waiting for the emergency crews to remove the destroyed cars and pieces of human all over the road, people started honking and yelling at the cops and emergency crews to "hurry the fuck up" because they were going to be late for work. Not suprised at all that people dont give a shit about a protest.

People dont give a shit. Fucking humanity was a mistake.

Just a reminder that these posters in the thread caping for this bullshit aren't anything new. Their entire idea of "correct protesting" is basically 'Do it so I don't have to see or hear about it. Be easily ignorable.' And anything that falls outside of that they will have a problem with, no matter the cause. History repeats.

9jmoHbk.png

feUshbz.png

4horXqc.png

That horseshit about "Your protests are only HURTING your cause" is fucking bullshit and just another way for people to demand that you shut the fuck up and stop being noticed; because protests that get noticed is often the first step to getting shit done.

Our "allies" brehs...

Quoting for everyone else to see.

slit

It's sadly clear many here take their freedom for granted. "How dare these protestors demonstrate against the authoritarian regime, I could hypothetically be home late for dinner!".

Guess what, once the fascist police state that Trump is pushing for is in place, it'll be too late for protests.

They still won't care. As long as their streets are easily traversed they'll be good little soldiers and follow orders.

Here's the thing.

Those police had plenty of numbers and resources to calmly walk up and ask them to move and then cuff them and remove them if they refused.

It's totally legit for the police to show up and remove people blocking the road. But the escalation of violence was totally a power play that didn't accomplish or defuse anything - other than intimidation.

At the end of the day, people can debate the effectiveness of blocking traffic (I for one think protest need to disrupt something to get noticed, but the protestors should also recognize this may mean arrest or removal by police). But the level of violence being justified just seems like people living out power fantasies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom