• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PR: COLECO to release Chameleon, console that focuses on new cartridge games

It's amazing that the sale of some Jaguar molds and the bad ideas that that has sparked has provided far, far more entertainment than the Jaguar itself ever did.

It looks nothing like a 360 controller lol.

If that's a ripoff of the 360 controller, than the 360 controller is a rip off of the GCN controller

Are you on drugs? The 360 controller looks nothing like a GC controller.

With an entirely different layout

All they did was switch the placement of the right analog stick with the buttons, not really an entirely different layout. Try harder.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So not only is the console looks like a failed console but it also shares a name of a failed console.

Yeaaaah, this is going to fail since it's aiming at a very niche market.

Which is just a rip off of a xbox 360 controller.

You are aware that the 360 controller is based on the Xbox controller which itself is just a rip off the Dreamcast controller?

Coleco?

kiafu9t.jpg

Deception

Are you on drugs? The 360 controller looks nothing like a GC controller.
Exactly. At last the GC controller was a unique design, the Wii U Pro is just too similar. They're good controllers just not particularly inspired.

So not only is the console looks like a failed console but it also shares a name of a failed console.

Yeaaaah, this is going to fail since it's aiming at a very niche market.

You are aware that the 360 controller is based on the Xbox controller which itself is just a rip off the Dreamcast controller?

um.....

completely different. the xbox 360 controller is an evolution of the S controller

with the same differences being the white and black buttons being converted into LB and RB ala PS2 controlelr.

CDX

I saw the thread title and first few sentences and was like "woah coleco is doing this?, this almost sounds like..."

then I read further and saw the pictures.

I think these past GAF threads are probably relevant to this thread's discussion.

New cartridge based non-emulated "Retro" console being kickstarted!

Retro VGS, cartridge-based retro game console now on IndieGoGo

RetroVGS console team pulls campaign from Indiegogo, listening to feedback!

Coleco Inc. went bankrupt in the late 1980's. You're not fooling anyone, "Coleco."

Man the holding company that owns Coleco sure knows how to tug at my nostalgic heartstrings.

yeah, who exactly owns the Coleco name currently?

NolbertoS

Haven't heard that name in ages. A friend of mine use to own a Coleco console from the 1980's. Can't believe Nintendo licensed Donkey Kong to Coleco back then.

Yep, it's even worse than Infogrames pretending to be Atari. Coleco's existence ended in 1988.

I saw the thread title and first few sentences and was like "woah coleco is doing this?, this almost sounds like..."

then I read further and saw the pictures.

I think these past GAF threads are probably relevant to this thread's discussion.

New cartridge based non-emulated "Retro" console being kickstarted!

Retro VGS, cartridge-based retro game console now on IndieGoGo

RetroVGS console team pulls campaign from Indiegogo, listening to feedback!

yeah, who exactly owns the Coleco name currently?

I find it rather creepy how the Retro VGS Kickstarter guys are leveraging a completely dead name and dead brand as if the company still exists today.

Language like "Video-game industry pioneer COLECO re-enters the market" is legitimately deceptive.

"Coleco" is literally nothing more a name owned by the Chicago-based branding company River West Brands LLC who bought the branding in a firesale.

Exactly. At last the GC controller was a unique design, the Wii U Pro is just too similar. They're good controllers just not particularly inspired.

um.....

completely different. the xbox 360 controller is an evolution of the S controller

with the same differences being the white and black buttons being converted into LB and RB ala PS2 controlelr.

Thanks for saving me the trouble of looking up those pictures and posting them.

Orayn

How is it possible that the Jaguar shell still exists? How many of them were originally made?

Steel molds cost a lot of money to make and last a long time. The Retro VGS guys saved money by buying the Jaguar's instead of designing a completely new one.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
This is awesome! I don't know what the future holds, but in an industry where development costs are soaring it makes absolute sense to support the creation of "8/16/32-bit" classics!

And who wouldn't love a Volgarr the Viking or Slain cartridge?!! One can dream.

Jazz573

um.....

Um. The DC and Xbox controllers you have in those pictures do look pretty similar. Both have d-pads on the left side, and both have colored buttons on the right side. They also both have a pretty similar shape and both have an analog stick on the left side. So no, not completely different.

How is it possible that the Jaguar shell still exists? How many of them were originally made?

They bought the molds, so they can create as many as they want, and they somehow think buying the molds to a failed old console is the first step in creating and launching a brand new home video game console. Like, that's all they have. Molds. And everything else will apparently just fall into place.

Razlo

I think this name will probably do better than it just being called Retro VGS like it was. I don't know if this will be a niche success, but I hope so, because I like the idea.

Dizzy-4U

Steel molds cost a lot of money to make and last a long time. The Retro VGS guys saved money by buying the Jaguar's instead of designing a completely new one.
They bought the molds, so they can create as many as they want, and they somehow think buying the molds to a failed old console is the first step in creating and launching a brand new home video game console. Like, that's all they have. Molds. And everything else will apparently just fall into place.
Ah ok, so it's the molds then. Stupid me thinking Atari have been holding the spare plastic shells for 20 years.

Would love to own physical versions of indie games. That said, I would rather Sometging like Limited Tun Games become bigger with devs releasing digital games for those like me. Would much rather own the physical games on Vita, Nintendo (NX, 3DS, etc...).

If this were to get some good digital indie releases I'd be interested so I can own them physically.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
New Cabbage Patch Kids game plz.

And Smurfette nuewd codez.

Connecticut leather company

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm in if its inexpensive and they get a lot of indies on board. I'd buy cartridges for Axiom Verg, Volgar The Viking, and Towerfall.
They were asking $300 during the first Kickstarter...

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Is it cartridge-only, or would it be able to play digital games?
If it's anything like the original concept (before Coleco), there wasn't going to be any kind of online patching for games, so I'm willing to bet there won't be any digital titles.

Daingurse

Um. The DC and Xbox controllers you have in those pictures do look pretty similar. Both have d-pads on the left side, and both have colored buttons on the right side. They also both have a pretty similar shape and both have an analog stick on the left side. So no, not completely different.

Yeah they have a similar shape. I always felt the progression went:

DC > Xbox > Xbox S > 360 > Wii-U

On-topic, huh? Lol

So this is the Retro VGS with a new manufacture?

Such a weird mangled mess of nostalgia.

"Does anyone remember Coleco?" ... "No...?"
"Does anyone really remember the Atari Jaguar?"... "No?"

"well, we have the console for you!"

Hawk269

They should have brought back the Super Action Controller

SuperActions.jpg

Those things were bad ass.

Yes they were. I had those when I had my ColecoVision (Which I still own) and they were great. I don't know what happened to my set of those controllers...I still have the System with the original box and about 30+ games for it.

Celine

This reminds me of that chinese knockoff handheld distributed by Blaze which had licensed the Neo Geo name.

Top Bottom