• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PR: COLECO to release Chameleon, console that focuses on new cartridge games

Eric C

I saw the thread title and first few sentences and was like "woah coleco is doing this?, this almost sounds like..."

then I read further and saw the pictures.

I think these past GAF threads are probably relevant to this thread's discussion.

New cartridge based non-emulated "Retro" console being kickstarted!

Retro VGS, cartridge-based retro game console now on IndieGoGo

RetroVGS console team pulls campaign from Indiegogo, listening to feedback!

yeah, who exactly owns the Coleco name currently?

I find it rather creepy how the Retro VGS Kickstarter guys are leveraging a completely dead name and dead brand as if the company still exists today.

Language like "Video-game industry pioneer COLECO re-enters the market" is legitimately deceptive.

"Coleco" is literally nothing more a name owned by the Chicago-based branding company River West Brands LLC who bought the branding in a firesale.

Ahh. good old "Retro VGS" and "River West Brands LLC", how could anyone's nostalgic heart ask for anything more.

Now that it's Coleco branded, is it going to cost the like $300 they tried to charge for it on IndieGoGo?

They bought the molds, so they can create as many as they want, and they somehow think buying the molds to a failed old console is the first step in creating and launching a brand new home video game console. Like, that's all they have. Molds. And everything else will apparently just fall into place.

Please, for the love of God, I hope nobody here is duped into giving these guys any money.

Well one would hope they did more since their failed crowd funding campaigns. But I'm not particularly optimistic.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
So this is the Retro VGS with a new manufacture?

Such a weird mangled mess of nostalgia.

"Does anyone remember Coleco?" ... "No...?"
"Does anyone really remember the Atari Jaguar?"... "No?"

"well, we have the console for you!"
It's funny when you think about it. This is the second attempt at a crowdfunding campaign for a console that's made out of the molds of a prior failed console, after failing the first time under a different name, and these guys partnered with a failed company to release it.

If three wrongs make a right, then this is totally a recipe for success.

What the hell has coleco been doing for the past 20+ years? How are they even in business?

Coleco Inc. went bankrupt and stopped existing in 1988.

Their branding and IP were purchased by Hasbro in 1989 upon dissolution.

Then, the branding / IP were sold to River West Brands LLC in 2005.

This is literally Retro VGS pretending that "Coleco" is a company.

Bytes

I am surprised no one has posted a WhatYearIsIt.gif yet.....

Coleco?

kiafu9t.jpg

WellThereItIs.gif

Cynn

Um. The DC and Xbox controllers you have in those pictures do look pretty similar. Both have d-pads on the left side, and both have colored buttons on the right side. They also both have a pretty similar shape and both have an analog stick on the left side. So no, not completely different.
They aren't really different at all conceptually and that's on purpose. As you can read in "Opening the Xbox" the first console was an evolution on the Dreamcast concept. Sega was even pushing for Dreamcast BC in the original Xbox but MS refused to run Seganet Servers for those titles and didn't want to convert them to use XBL. There was actually a "Dreamcast room" at MS HQ filled with every game and hardware accessory from the DC lineup that everyone played and took notes on for months. (Tough job)

The Xbox and Xbox 360 were essentially Dreamcast 2 and 3.

onQ123

I came in this thread expecting to see this as the 1st reply lol.

Also whats the backstory on Coleco & Atari? I remember you could play Atari games on a Colecovision & so on is it some kinda partnership or is Coleco just obsessed with Atari?

1280px-Atari_Jaguar_console.jpg

Also whats the backstory on Coleco & Atari? I remember you could play Atari games on a Colecovision & so on is it some kinda partnership or is Coleco just obsessed with Atari?

No, back in the day Coleco developed an add-on for the ColecoVision called Expansion Module #1. It was basically an attachment that allowed people to play Atari 2600 games on a ColecoVision. It was made without any consent from Atari and Atari tried to take them to court over it. But they lost because the add-on didn't infringe on any of the patented hardware within the 2600.

This deal is a little different as Coleco was bought out by some other company in 2005. Now they have partnered up with a group of people that have been trying to get this Retro VGS machine made. Read the thread on that.

Cantaloup

Coleco and Atari were competitors in the home console space during the time of the video game industry crash in the early-mid 80s. The ColecoVision could play Atari 2600 games with an optional expansion module.

As mentioned above, Coleco went bankrupt in 1988, so this is Coleco in name only.

onQ123

No, back in the day Coleco developed an add-on for the ColecoVision called Expansion Module #1. It was basically an attachment that allowed people to play Atari 2600 games on a ColecoVision. It was made without any consent from Atari and Atari tried to take them to court over it. But they lost because the add-on didn't infringe on any of the patented hardware within the 2600.

This deal is a little different as Coleco was bought out by some other company in 2005. Now they have partnered up with a group of people that have been trying to get this Retro VGS machine made. Read the thread on that.

Coleco and Atari were competitors in the home console space during the time of the video game industry crash in the early-mid 80s. The ColecoVision could play Atari 2600 games with an optional expansion module.

As mentioned above, Coleco went bankrupt in 1988, so this is Coleco in name only.

I see, be it seems the Atari obsession lives on with the name.

Banned
Cartridges are coming back. They're much cheaper to make now (they'll never be as cheap as discs though).

It's gonna be the NX media format for sure if they want physical media to play both in the handheld and console.

orochi91

That looks gorgeous!

Sega Dreamcast is probably gonna make a comback too at this rate, lol

The year of dreams continues :3

Cartridges are coming back. They're much cheaper to make now (they'll never be as cheap as discs though).

It's gonna be the NX media format for sure if they want physical media to play both in the handheld and console.

Agreed wholeheartedly!

I always liked cartridges better than CDs.

What a time to be alive.

KingV

The only different is the right thumb stick and face button positions are switched. Everything else is nearly the same.

Have you used a Wii U pro controller? It feels nothing like a 360 controller.

The layout is more different than it looks. The d-pad is quite a bit bigger and better, the left stick feels like it is further forward and the right stick switch with the buttons is a big difference.

It's a similar shape, but there were 3rd part N64 and gamecube controllers that had a similar shape.

emb

Just like with Retro VGS, I like the idea of a stripped down cartridge based system, and I hope they succeed.

I've seen nothing to indicate that the problems from the previous attempt are really fixed (Kickstarter over IGG is a good start I guess?). If it's still nearly as expensive, there's no place for it. Even if half as expensive as it originally was ($400), I think it would still be a good chunk too much.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
They should have brought back the Super Action Controller

SuperActions.jpg

Those things were bad ass.

I've still got mine! Finally an emulation box that acknowledges the first true Atari killer, ColecoVision. But I'm sticking with my ColecoVisions.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't understand why someone is making this or how there could be a market for it, but if anyone actually makes games for this thing, I'm in. Games need to come first though.

Edit: Imagine if this thing could run Shovel Knight, Towerfall, and VVVVVV. I would LOVE this system if that happened. But I don't see how it could.

Do they have any games lined up for this thing?

Why, though? You can already play those on your PS4 or whatever. How would this be any better? Is it just because "oooh, cartridges"?

SegaShack

This guy myself and multiple Gaffers told him not to go with the re programmable FPGA in the system but he wouldn't listen. We all said it would not do well at a $300 price point but he didn't listen. This is coming from someone who loved the idea of a new cartridge based system too.

Also why they keep using Jaguar mold for all these new crowdfunding projects? Who in their right mind would think that using appearance of failed console from 90s is a good idea?

Leynos

Do they have actual hardware yet?
How about any games? And I don't mean, "Hey, wouldn't it be cool to have....?"
Will it still cost $400?
Do they have anyone who actually knows how to run a Kickstarter campaign?

Or are they just throwing a new name on the Retro VGS, putting it up on Kickstarter, and not taking any of the criticisms of their past errors into account?

Also why they keep using Jaguar mold for all these new crowdfunding projects? Who in their right mind would think that using appearance of failed console from 90s is a good idea?

This isn't a new machine, this is the same Retro VGS with a new name. And for people who this would appeal to (those who grew up with cartridges,) the callback to a classic game machine is pretty neat. And they saved a ton of money by using the old molds instead of designing, then making all new tooling.

liquidtmd

Banned

They probably found the mold in a bin and didn't want to pay for anything they couldn't just steal for free.

"We're enthusiasts preserving it we swear!"

Veal

baa9b8c7ea025c686ed563d137b6a525.png

:|

(In before 'you can't make that many variations.' I have no issues with this layout, and I understand you can only change so much, haha)
That looks horrible. The real beauty of the Wii U pro controller is both thumb positions are primary. It's incredibly comfortable. Playing with the d pad and buttons feels like a more comfortable snes pad and the analogs are symmetrical, yet spaced as to prevent a cramped layout ala Dualshock style. It's perfect as far as dual analog controllers are concerned. In my opinion of course!

swit

well, ok, but what games does it support? Is it compatible with NES/SNES/Genesis/whatever consoles cartridges? Don't tell me that they expect that someone will make new games for it...

If this thing actually comes out, and it can play my old Colecovision games, I don't care who the fuck makes it I'm buying it the second they're available for purchase.

Pepper II, Venture, Squish 'em Featuring Sam, Lady Bug, Donkey Kong, god I want to play them again. Stick some ports on the console so I can use the old controllers too please.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
well, ok, but what games does it support? Is it compatible with NES/SNES/Genesis/whatever consoles cartridges? Don't tell me that they expect that someone will make new games for it...

It's new architecture and they wanted ports and new games. They had some games lined up, but who knows how much of it was a ruse. Colecovision homebrewers might be interested though.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
If this thing actually comes out, and it can play my old Colecovision games, I don't care who the fuck makes it I'm buying it the second they're available for purchase.

Pepper II, Venture, Squish 'em Featuring Sam, Lady Bug, Donkey Kong, god I want to play them again. Stick some ports on the console so I can use the old controllers too please.

Not the same, but have you looked at the Colecovision Flashback?

Jennings

Loved playing my neighbor's ColecoVision as a kid. I had an Atari 2600 and a Pong machine, he had a Coleco Vision. By the time the NES arrived stateside in my 5th grade year we were already old pros at this whole gaming thing. If only Twitch existed back in the day.

Orayn

Conceptually I have nothing against the Retro VGS project. It does things that I've seen various GAFers: Just play games, uses a cartridge medium, forces devs to release titles in a "complete" state without patches, and lacks extraneous features that share hardware resources. Someone starts a thread about wanting something like that every month or so.

The high cost and lack of interest are basically the reality of the situation crashing down on people all at once. Even with competent leadership, (an area where this project seems dicey at best) it's a difficult task where a lot can go wrong, and the actual audience willing to put up money for such a product is vanishingly small.

Not the same, but have you looked at the Colecovision Flashback?

I have, and apparently it's pretty crappy. Which was very disappointing to hear because I was really looking forward to it. From reviews I've read the controllers suck, you can't use the old controllers, the ports aren't very good and it doesn't have Lady Bug ):

It had all the other games I grew up with (except Donkey Kong obviously) so if it had had Lady Bug I woulda bought one anyway but that game missing on top of the rest of the problems makes it not very attractive to me.

Have you used one or heard differently, though?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I have, and apparently it's pretty crappy. Which was very disappointing to hear because I was really looking forward to it. From reviews I've read the controllers suck, you can't use the old controllers, the ports aren't very good and it doesn't have Lady Bug ):

It had all the other games I grew up with (except Donkey Kong obviously) so if it had had Lady Bug I woulda bought one anyway but that game missing on top of the rest of the problems makes it not very attractive to me.

Have you used one or heard differently, though?

Mine's still in the box along with the Intellivision Flashback. I should unpack it one day.

Roshin

If this actually gets released, I guess it might sell to those who have a fetish for cartridges, but I doubt it will go much further than that,

Exactly. At last the GC controller was a unique design, the Wii U Pro is just too similar. They're good controllers just not particularly inspired.

um.....

completely different. the xbox 360 controller is an evolution of the S controller

with the same differences being the white and black buttons being converted into LB and RB ala PS2 controlelr.

Thanks for saving me the trouble of looking up those pictures and posting them.
how old are yall?

Top Bottom