• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predict the Biggest Box Office Bomb of 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Obviousness be damned, it's Monster Trucks.

It looks like appalling shit, and it's a big-budget family film BEING RELEASED IN JANUARY.

That movie was filmed two years ago and is finally coming out. So most likely.

Power Rangers will be a bomb in the us I think easily.

kswiston

"Director had a modest hit 20 years ago in the same genre" people should remember that one of the bigger bombs from 2016 was from the guy who directed E.T. and Jurassic Park.

Ridley327

I'm inclined to agree, however this is also from the guy who brought us The Fifth Element, so it might depend on marketing.

The Fifth Element famously under-performed in the US versus its international total, so I'm expecting a similar result. Euro sci-fi is just way too out there for US audiences, regardless of quality.

Just going through what's coming out this year that has a trailer,

Monster Trucks
XXX Return of Xander Cage
Power Rangers
King Arthur: Legend of the Sword
Valerian

Just going through what's coming out this year that has a trailer,

Monster Trucks
XXX Return of Xander Cage
Power Rangers
King Arthur: Legend of the Sword
Valerian

Xander Cage has every demographic on lock. bollywood, the extreme sports fans, the fast and furious familia, football/soccer fans etc. it will be bigger than Fate of the Furious and cement Vin Diesel as the leading powerhouse name.

Ivan 3414

I don't think the movie will bomb, but I wonder how the Fifty Shades sequel will do compared to the original? Better or worse?

I'm betting it won't make back its budget considering how toned down the first movie was compared to the book

Edit scratch that, this thing is doing big numbers on social media

I don't think the movie will bomb, but I wonder how the Fifty Shades sequel will do compared to the original? Better or worse?

Slightly worse, I think. Mostly because the stretch is kind of out of the mommy genre now for a bit. NSFW Pun entirely intended.

btw, for the sake of justice I do hope it's that emoji movie. Because fuck that.

After going over the release list, my money are on these losers:

Resident Evil, Final Chapter
Smurfs sequel
Paddington 2
The Dark Tower (it is from Sony, it will bomb hardcore)

And the final winner is
9778cd9682807aa99e05c19d4dc2b969.jpg

HOW IS MONSTER TRUCKS NOT POST ONE

Like if Jupiter Ascending and Monster Trucks came out in the same year I would not know which to pick for BOTY

Tom Nook

Lucy made money because of SarJo being Black Widow. I think if it were any other actress, nobody will care.

Ghost in the Shell will probably do similar numbers like Lucy did.

I do agree Valerian will bomb.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I don't remember the numbers but I don't think Lucy bombed.

Lucy didn't bomb, it was just terrible, it made nearly $470 million on a $40 million budget if I remember correctly.

Lucy was a huge success actually.
But I hope you're right about Fifth Element fans. A Luc Besson sci-fi blockbuster is at least garanteed to make some money in Europe but that won't be enough for Valerian considering the budget.

Lucy made money.

Didn't lucy make bank vs it's production budget?

edit: whoops got beat out by 3 people

Hah yep, you're all right. Only a $40m budget helped. Valerian's estimated $180m budget will make that harder to replicate!

Lol fifth element and Lucy did extremely well. In this thread people have trouble predicting flops from the movies already out. I'm going with Valerian and King Arthur and World War Zombie 2.

"Director had a modest hit 20 years ago in the same genre" people should remember that one of the bigger bombs from 2016 was from the guy who directed E.T. and Jurassic Park.

Jesus Christ... thanks for reminding me that The Fifth Element is 20 years old this year. :/

GamerJM

Banned
I have faith in Valerian being a good movie, but yeah it's gonna bomb.

Justice League is probably gonna suck but still do well.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
After going over the release list, my money are on these losers:

Resident Evil, Final Chapter
Smurfs sequel
Paddington 2
The Dark Tower (it is from Sony, it will bomb hardcore)

And the final winner is

Pirates ain't gonna bomb bruh. Disney stays winning.

Power Rangers gonna be the biggest bomb I bet.

Xander Cage has every demographic on lock. bollywood, the extreme sports fans, the fast and furious familia, football/soccer fans etc. it will be bigger than Fate of the Furious and cement Vin Diesel as the leading powerhouse name.

I'm so used to Vin's movies doing poorly outside of the Fast and Furious franchise. Like The Last Witch Hunter. And Babylon AD.

Dali

This at least domestically. I expect the Chinese market will eat it up.
I don't even want to participate because of China. My pick last year was world of warcraft and I even mentioned I was iffy about it because China seems to like hot garbage. Lo and behold it bombed domestically but made something like over half its worldwide gross in China.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Either Monster Trucks or Valerian. Every thing else will either do good, surprisingly blow up, or do a little underwhelming.

banktree

Banned
I don't understand why they just don't call Valerian "Jupiter Ascending 2" and be done with it.

"From the director of The Fifth Element!" Literally reads as "From the director of a weird movie a couple dozen people on the internet won't shut up about."

Valerian will do worse than Fifth Element did 20 years ago, which is an incredible accomplishment considering FE only did about 60 mil in the US.

banktree

Banned

XxX fits nicely into Vin's "Well, another 2 years until Fast and Furious comes out, make this thing I want that'll bomb otherwise I won't be in the next one" schedule. Looking forward to Riddick 4 in a couple years.

Valerian is this year's Jupiter Ascending from the looks of it.

XXX will bomb. Time and again it has been proven audiences don't care for Vin outside of the FF series.

Power Rangers will bomb here but we may have another Warcraft on our hands.

Transformers...will underperform domestic but will again make a billion thanks to China.

Pirates won't bomb but I think we may see an Inferno scenario where it grosses FAR less than past films. Again, all eyes are on China.

Wonder Woman and JL will be yet more DCEU SmashFlops, as the term is called. Actually, with all the competition before AND after, WW might even bomb if WoM isn't stellar.

Power Rangers

It might but more than likey it will do fine. Not a bomb but not a total success eather. As many fans of the show will probably go see it. There is nostalgia there for many people. I cant wait for it it could be total crap but Ill be there friday night.

Don't know if it would be the biggest bomb of its year, I'd be really surprised if The Emoji Movie makes its money back. Looks like it will be the most cynical soulless cash-in of better animated films and contemporary trends I've ever seen.

And if WW sucks, I am absolutely confident JL will be dead on arrival, irregardless of quality (though I'm fairly confident it won't rise above mediocre due to it being a Snyder joint).

Monster Trucks. Hasn't the studio basically already admitted that before it even gets released?

Yep. A writedown worth $115 million! (And that still doesn't cover the film's entire budget of $125 million! Who the heck greenlit this movie at that budget, anyway?)

And the final winner is

But On Stranger Tides made over a billion dollars. :p Are you referring to the upcoming Dead Men Tell No Tales?

(Serious talk--never seen that subtitle used anywhere to refer to the fourth film.)

BLACKLAC

Valerian is this year's Jupiter Ascending from the looks of it.

XXX will bomb. Time and again it has been proven audiences don't care for Vin outside of the FF series.

Power Rangers will bomb here but we may have another Warcraft on our hands.

Transformers...will underperform domestic but will again make a billion thanks to China.

Pirates won't bomb but I think we may see an Inferno scenario where it grosses FAR less than past films. Again, all eyes are on China.

Wonder Woman and JL will be yet more DCEU SmashFlops, as the term is called. Actually, with all the competition before AND after, WW might even bomb if WoM isn't stellar.

Agreed on all points. 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom