• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predict the Biggest Box Office Bomb of 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
also, the only person who seemed to call Ben-Hur last year was SeanC. Good job, Sean.

and that one guy that said BFG and we all pointed and laughed...
Alice: Trough The Looking Glass didn't do twice it's budget either though.
And yes, June 2016 was a slaughterhouse were nobody won.

PSqueak

Banned
I was gonna say Ready Player One, but turns out that's 2018.

So why RPO? Because spielberg said he'd remove any references to his work from the movie.

RPO is "Remember the 80's?! They were soooo cool" in Book form, removing all Spielberg references guts the movie pretty hard. Plus i really doubt they will get okays from Nagai, Sunrise and Toho to use Mazinger, Gundam and Raideen, and Godzilla characters respectively.

FoneBone

The easy winner in my book (other than Monster Trucks) is Geostorm, a big-budget Gerard Butler vehicle from producer/first-time director Dean Devlin. It's currently on its fourth release date (October 2017) and is being heavily reshot. Other stuff that I think will flop badly: The Great Wall, King Arthur, and Valerian.

Not very good with predictions, so I'll say:

The Mummy

Underworld

Power Rangers

XXX: Return of Xander Cage

The Nut job 2

Oh and Despicable Me 3, because Illumination needs their asses humbled.

LionPride

Banned
The last Transformers made a billon sooo...
The last Pirates made a billion so....
Wonder Woman is Wonder Woman so at least $750 million
Power Rangers is fighting a lot
Logan is an X-Men movie. Despite their lesser quality people see em

So none of them will bomb probably. I may be wrong.

That Luc besson movie tho. Whew.

Hopefully The Mummy is good

jelly

The easy winner in my book (other than Monster Trucks) is Geostorm, a big-budget Gerard Butler vehicle from producer/first-time director Dean Devlin. It's currently on its fourth release date (October 2017) and is being heavily reshot.

I saw a trailer for that in the cinema and we just looked at each other, who green lighted this shit. I read in the paper the next day, the studio has already taken a right down on the film, 140 million or something it cost to make, they know already.

Pakkidis

I just saw the trailer for monster trucks for the the first time.....wow.....I can't believe this was made. Somebody should lose their job.

also, the only person who seemed to call Ben-Hur last year was SeanC. Good job, Sean.

and that one guy that said BFG and we all pointed and laughed...
Alice: Trough The Looking Glass didn't do twice it's budget either though.
And yes, June 2016 was a slaughterhouse were nobody won.

MY ASS HE WAS THE ONLY ONE
BFG and Alice deserved to die

BFG was a trip man. Never go full roald dahl.

fucking had a 10 minute scene that was a fart joke involving the Queen of England....

StoopKid

Valerian because lol boob armor

valerian_and_the_city_of_a_thousand_planets_key_art_poster.jpg

This 100%

The budget on this movie is insane.

BFG was a trip man. Never go full roald dahl.

fucking had a 10 minute scene that was a fart joke involving the Queen of England....

I'm still convinced a lot of parents thought BFG stood for "Big Fucking Giant" and thus thought it was an adult film and stayed away.

The frankly horrifying look of the giant (that was some Polar Express level of Uncanny Valley) didn't help.

jelly

Valerian looks alright. It didn't instantly turn me off like Jupiter Ascending but the budget is insane. He can't get lucky like he did with Lucy on a modest budget of 40 million. Valerian is 180 million!

Are we talking world wide or domestic?

Cause if we're talking domestic, The Great Wall isn't making it out alive.

Xander Cage and Valerian are good prospects. King Arthur is another good one if it still releases on the same date as Guardians 2.

Skux

Valerian looks spectacular but I don't think it has the star power. No one wants to see Cara Delevingne act.

Platy

Tell that to Norm of the North and Ratchet and Clank.

Or Pixar's The Good Dinosaur (yep, this was their first out-and-out B.O. underperformer!), if you want a animated bomba that isn't low budget.

Good Dinosaur was only a bomb to Pixar/Disney standards !

I give you Ratchet & Clank and Norm of the North but then again Norm of the North is borderline Little Cars material =P

Emoji movie will be like Minions .... explode in box office and everyone hate it

CazTGG

Aside from Monster Truck? Saw: Legacy. The Saw series was already in rough shape when Paranormal Activity started coming out so the fact that it's been dormant will not be doing it any favors. The fact that the film has next to no buzz is certainly not going to help matters considering how much the landscape of horror has changed since Saw ended with 3D.

As an aside: How many of you even knew there was a new Saw film coming out this year?

Mr-Joker

Banned
Shame on them for not doing your typical superhero movie.

Nah I am cool, I got other Marvel movies to enjoy in 2017.

This probably means very little, but the crowd went NUTS when the trailer came on before Rogue One.

Consisdering they were watching Rogue One, I wouldn't hold their taste on movies to be very high.

Didn't that get cancelled?

No it was Popeye that got cancelled because Sony simply didn't get Popeye, a common trait that plagues Sony and why their movies are just flat out awful.

Glass Rebel

While not a bomb, none of the Marvel movies will crack 1 billion+. Maybe Guardians if it hits all the right cues.

Best wishes.

Hell nah. Spider-Man 3 did $890m in 2007, even ASM2 managed to crack $700m. Homecoming is gonna ride off the strength of his Civil-War appearance, the MCU and have RDJ in it. If it doesn't crack 1b I'll consider it an absolute failure.

I like the trailer to Valerian a lot, but holy shit at that budget. Who are the dummies that greenlit it at that price point?

My vote goes to that, the new XXX film (although I'm looking forward to its awesome awfulness), and yeah - that Guy Ritchie film I totally forgot about until peeking my head in this thread. Dude does only one genre of films well and he hasn't touched said genre since Rockn'Rolla unfortunately.

Is Hasbro Studios putting out another movie adaptation of a forgotten cartoon series that no one asked for?
There's a My Little Pony movie coming, but it's:
* Animated
* Based on the current show with the same crew and cast
* Is likely relatively low budget

Even if it doesn't do well in the box office, it will surely do well in home releases, looking at the existing DTVs.

Carcetti

Valerian will be savaged by critics who'll have either not heard of the source material or think it's soiling the comics. After Suicide Squad I dread to see anything with Deligne.. no Delevigne... whatever... in it. But Besson will still magically make money.

XXX should bomb but never overestimate the audiences, I guess.

I was gonna say Ready Player One, but turns out that's 2018.

So why RPO? Because spielberg said he'd remove any references to his work from the movie.

RPO is "Remember the 80's?! They were soooo cool" in Book form, removing all Spielberg references guts the movie pretty hard. Plus i really doubt they will get okays from Nagai, Sunrise and Toho to use Mazinger, Gundam and Raideen, and Godzilla characters respectively.

The whole book was one long series of Spielberg references.

There's a My Little Pony movie coming, but it's:
* Animated
* Based on the current show with the same crew and cast
* Is likely relatively low budget

Even if it doesn't do well in the box office, it will surely do well in home releases, looking at the existing DTVs.

MLP isn't really forgotten though, and would probably do pretty well at the BO. Doesn't sound like there will be a Jem or Max Steel equivalent in 2017

LionPride

Banned
While not a bomb, none of the Marvel movies will crack 1 billion+. Maybe Guardians if it hits all the right cues.

Best wishes.

Spider-Man Homecoming - $1 Billion at least
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 $950 Million at least
Thor Ragnorak - $850 Million at least

Spider-Man is still like one of the most popular characters in the world coming off of a stellar performance in a movie that made $1.5 Billion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom