• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predict the Biggest Box Office Bomb of 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cepheus

I really hope Trainspotting 2 doesn't bomb. It has no reason to, but you never know.

As others have said, it will probably be Monster Trucks.

There is no way in hell The Mummy will be a flop, you guys are crazy. Tom Cruise is still too massive a draw. I think Ghost in the Shell will do decent as well due to Scarllet's star power. The new Pirates movie and Kong Island are definitely not going to be flops either, but they may underperform a little. Valerian, however, has flop written all over it. That budget is ridiculous and the trailers make it look as goofy as Jupiter Ascending.

Yeah this is a bi-annual Tom Cruise Event movie people go see even if 90% of them skip Jack Reacher.

That's easy: any video game movie.

Given the two this year are Resident Evil: The Final Chapter, and
Logan
, that's doubtful.

The former is in a series that does surprisingly well and will be in a space that doesn't have much competition. There will also be a lot of Resident Evil being thrown around mindshare wise between it and the new mainline game, and it is the final film entry.

The latter film has a brand that does moderately well with a budget that seems more suitable than the proceeding disappointments.

Personally, I find it difficult in seeing Valerion doing well between its budget and the teen fiction vibes the first trailer gave off.

Arkeband

Banned
Valerian will be a disaster.

I have no idea why Cara Delevigne continues to get work, but I really like Dane DeHaan, so it's a shame his career must end this way. RIP, you perpetually angry young adult typecast.

Schlorgan

Valerian will be a disaster.

I have no idea why Cara Delevigne continues to get work, but I really like Dane DeHaan, so it's a shame his career must end this way. RIP, you perpetually angry young adult typecast.
He is the star of the new Gore Verbinski horror-thriller, A Cure For Wellness, so we'll see how that does before we can declare his career to be over.

TEJ

Obviously Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2. People don't want to watch a movie starring a talking raccoon and a baby tree person. They will not ooga, chaka, or be hooked on a feeling. It will be quite the
cherry
bomb.

It will tank so badly that fox will be on the run with all future Marvel properties.

Monster Truck and the Emoji Movie will bomb very hard. King Artur, Valerian, XxX and the Mummy will bomb not so hard.
I hope that Bladerunner 2049 and The Dark Tower will do okay and on the other hand I hope John Wick will be huge success.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
There is no fatigue. What are you basing this on? Your own personal fatigue? Because many like you have predicted this every year and every year you are all proven wrong.

Uh-huh. I know sarcasm is hard online, but this one wasn't that hard to spot, was it?

Nudull

Banned
I imagine Power Rangers is gonna fall hard. Valerian, King Arthur, The Mummy and Ghost in the Shell probably aren't making it out, either.

...How am I just finding out that something is making a CHiPs movie, 21 Jumpstreet-style? :p

Slayven

I read a lot of the monsters had to be redesigned as the original designs frightened test audiences.

Here:

get

I want to see the original designs

Call me crazy but I think Valerian is this year's Tarzan. Flop written all over it but it won't exactly bomb, less than $100 domestically and a $150ish internationally.

My vote goes to Power Rangers, this doesnt have the Warcraft fanbase to save it. I don't know what Monster Trucks is so I guess that makes it a contender. XXX3 will not do too well. King Arthur WILL bomb, especially with that release date. The Space Between Us hasnt been mentioned, it's a YA shitty looking movie that reeks of bomba (no idea how big its budget is though)

DCEU movies will not bomb, people. No matter how bad they are.

Slayven

Call me crazy but I think Valerian is this year's Tarzan. Flop written all over it but it won't exactly bomb, less than $100 domestically and a $150ish internationally.

My vote goes to Power Rangers, this doesnt have the Warcraft fanbase to save it. I don't know what Monster Trucks is so I guess that makes it a contender. XXX3 will not do too well. King Arthur WILL bomb, especially with that release date. The Space Between Us hasnt been mentioned, it's a YA shitty looking movie that reeks of bomba (no idea how big its budget is though)

But they can under perform. BvS should have done a billion easy.

Schlorgan

The Space Between Us hasnt been mentioned, it's a YA shitty looking movie that reeks of bomba (no idea how big its budget is though)
I put it in a post earlier but edited it out because of the uncertainty over the budget. I doubt it's super high but I've been seeing trailers for that movie for about a year.

jackal27

Banned
emoji movie

Hey we're not picking Most Successful here.

I've actually seen a lot of talk about Valerian. I bet it doesn't do well, but if the word of mouth is good I think it has a chance to do ok.

Dirca

I was gonna say Ready Player One, but turns out that's 2018.

So why RPO? Because spielberg said he'd remove any references to his work from the movie.

RPO is "Remember the 80's?! They were soooo cool" in Book form, removing all Spielberg references guts the movie pretty hard. Plus i really doubt they will get okays from Nagai, Sunrise and Toho to use Mazinger, Gundam and Raideen, and Godzilla characters respectively.
Don't forget Voltron and Ultraman

kswiston

Fifty Shades Darker is probably going to be cheap. The first film was $40M. Even if they bumped that up to $75M in the sequel, it should be fine as long as it manages 40-50% of the original's WW gross.

LakeEarth

Obviously Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2. People don't want to watch a movie starring a talking raccoon and a baby tree person. They will not ooga, chaka, or be hooked on a feeling. It will be quite the
ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-cherry
bomb.

It will tank so badly that fox will be on the run with all future Marvel properties.

Fixed.

What kind of budget do you think this has?
Not a single high profile actor outside of maybe Kristen Bell who is the wife of the director :p

I think you could get most of these guys to appear in your student film for a warm meal.

Dax's last movie cost 2 million and grossed 11 million. Even if nobody ever saw it it wouldn't be a big bomb.
The big tip-off to me is that there is absolutely nothing for this movie. No promo whatsoever and its supposed to come out in two months. It might be made on a shoe-string budget, but even then, it's so weird that the studio has no interest in advertising this movie.

TDLink

Mummy will and GITS will both be fine because of Tom Cruise and Scarlet Johansson respectively.

It will almost certainly be Valerian or Monster Trucks.

Every other blockbuster is too big of an established brand to possibly bomb that hard.

N4Us

Fifty Shades Darker is probably going to be cheap. The first film was $40M. Even if they bumped that up to $75M in the sequel, it should be fine as long as it manages 40-50% of the original's WW gross.

If it's really around that area then yeah scratch what I said.

krang

Seeing a lot of "I don't like thing, so I hope it bombs" posts, rather than actual predictions.

Transformers, lol.

The big tip-off to me is that there is absolutely nothing for this movie. No promo whatsoever and its supposed to come out in two months. It might be made on a shoe-string budget, but even then, it's so weird that the studio has no interest in advertising this movie.

how much should they spend on advertising for a movie that costs nothing?
Bell will tweet out to her million followers a week beforehand and that's it, should get the budget back on decent reviews.

Lucy didn't bomb at all. I think it made back like 8x its development budget.

Edit - actually over 11 times its budget:

Budget $40 million[5]
Box office $463.4 million[5]

i wonder in which universe Lucy bombed.
it's like the definition of an anti-bomb.

it was pretty fun too, the internet decided to hate it pre-release because it used a silly innocent tagline.
not saying it's a great movie but it's one of the most irrationally hated movies out there.

I think you know why.

She's one of the biggest supermodels in the world and isn't quite as terrible at acting as some of the others at her level.

Well, she's not Ronda Rousey bad ( a random person plucked off the street would suck less), but she's still pretty bad.

Schlorgan

I don't know about Bladerunner, guys. It probably won't bomb as hard as Monster Trucks or Valerian, but I can see it coming in way below expectations.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
But it's by the director of Ice Age! Remember Ice Age - that thoroughly mediocre CGI film from about 15 years ago that somehow became a huge franchise?!
Kids still eat that shit up. I got the bluray box and collision course because my daughter watches them at least once a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom