• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predict the Biggest Box Office Bomb of 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cipherr

I love sci fi, but Valerian looks like a bomb waiting to happen.

Im gonna watch it though.

I wont even bother with predictions for the DCEU. I don't care what they make money wise, just make the movies better than they have been.

Bluth54

You think so? So many nostalgic fans out there (not myself)..I kinda find it hard to believe it'll fail as badly as that bucket of shit Fan4stic.

I was a big Power Ranger fan when I was a kid and everything we see from the movie looks wrong and the designs for a lot of things look really bad. I see the same negative reaction online and to people I talk to in person.
Not only that but there's been very little footage seen of the movie (most of the designs we've seen are from the toys), it comes out in March and there's only been one trailer so far. There's also a lot of big films in March this year. Logan, Kong: Skull Island and Beauty and the Beast are all releasing in the weeks before Power Rangers.

Honestly I'll be surprised if Power Rangers finishes it's run above $50 or 60 million domestic and above it's $150 million budget worldwide.

xrnzaaas

The Mummy will most likely bomb. How hard - that depends on the budget which is not known at the moment.

Power Rangers is also a good candidate, but I expect this movie to be "rescued" by other markets like Warcraft.

KonradLaw

Probably Valerian unfortunatelly.

I think both King Arthur and Mummy will do good. Not amazing, but at the very least they will break even. But Valierian will likely flop, despite being a good movie.

CHiPS is my frontrunner. We don't even have a poster let alone a trailer, and the thing comes out in March. I bet the studio has zero faith in this movie and is doing everything it can to kill it.

King Arthur, because why. It might do well if China likes it, but the way I see it, no one's been asking for hyper-stylized King Arthur movies let alone six of them. Considering this is the first movie of that bunch, it'll probably not even be that good considering the amount of narrative heavy-lifting necessary to facilitate material to make a sequel.

All Eyez on Me. The only plus about this movie is that the guy looks like Tupac. The most famous person in this movie is Lauren Cohan, and if that isn't a warning sign I don't know what is.

3N16MA

Banned
Probably Valerian unfortunatelly.

I think both King Arthur and Mummy will do good. Not amazing, but at the very least they will break even. But Valierian will likely flop, despite being a good movie.

King Arthur is opening the week after GOTG 2. Who decided on this release date?

crustikid

I was a big Power Ranger fan when I was a kid and everything we see from the movie looks wrong and the designs for a lot of things look really bad. I see the same negative reaction online and to people I talk to in person.
Not only that but there's been very little footage seen of the movie (most of the designs we've seen are from the toys), it comes out in March and there's only been one trailer so far. There's also a lot of big films in March this year. Logan, Kong: Skull Island and Beauty and the Beast are all releasing in the weeks before Power Rangers.

Honestly I'll be surprised if Power Rangers finishes it's run above $50 or 60 million domestic and above it's $150 million budget worldwide.

I think Power Rangers will do ok based on the fact that it's Lionsgate and there hasn't been a main film for that franchise since 1995. I believe they've kept the series alive and the trailer looks angsty enough to appeal to teenagers or anyone feeling nostalgic for power rangers (or even Chronicle). The director for the film was also on the shortlist for Doctor Strange.

It might be tempting to say something like this will bomb based on shitty tie-in merchandising or a lackluster trailer but that's with the GAF shades on. Studios are going to keep backing movies that have built in audiences because they're safe bets. Something like Battleship might've gotten stupidly bad reviews but it still made $303M on a $220M budget.

RinsFury

Dunno why so many think the Mummy will bomb. The trailer looked like a Tom Cruise MI movie with a supernatural theme, I think it'll be huge.

For bombs I have to echo Valerian in the OP. That cost $180 million to make? Jeez. Shades of John Carter.

Ghost in the Shell is probably the one that comes to mind first. A lot of negative buzz around it because of changes, and I think to most people it has a Matrix knock-off look to it (ironically, but most probably aren't aware of that). I just don't see it connecting with people, and the marketing around it has been...odd. I don't think it's worked that well, to be honest.

Valerian, emoji movie, and Monster Trucks are the safe bets here.

And I'm going to agree with that poster a few up about King Arthur, even if it's good. Whoever decided to put their first film in a six film series only one week after Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was hopefully fired. I don't know how anyone could think that was a good idea.

What's Jumanji's budget at? Star Wars VIII is going to demolish it anyways, but if it's got a modest budget it'll escape being a bomb.

June looks insanely packed though, especially with Pirates opening at the end of May. Something there's got to give, I think. Despicable 3? Wonder Woman? Mummy? It won't be Cars 3 or Transformers, that's for sure.

I don't see any of the superhero films from Warners, Sony, Fox or Disney doing terribly. JLA and WW hopefully have more realistic projections than BvS did. If WW isn't terrible, it'll probably do very well. Logan's got a lot of positive buzz and GotG2 is GotG. I feel Thor 2 has the power to disappoint but if its finally a good one, who knows? Spiderman will probably do very, very well and I wouldn't be surprised if its a standout hit.

Valerian's budget shows cocaine is just as widely available in France as it is in LA.
"you know, Luc, I can't make these numbers work." *snorts* "We gonna make bank, bitch!"

Monster Trucks is a thing? Well, I never. Emoji? That's like watching a drunk driver swerve all over the road and wondering whether he's going to plough into a bus or a train.

Will do well:
Mummy
Transformers
Superheroes (Logan, Spiderman, GotG, WW do really well
Alien Covenant
SW EP VIII
Skull Island

Won't do well
XXX
WWZ 2

Could go either way:
Power Rangers
War of the Planet of the Apes

kurahador

Kids seem to respond well to Monster Truck trailer when I was watching Moana. The movie might have a chance.

Valerian will bomb hard, and I'm going to be sad as hell. Power Rangers will be Max Steel level of bomb and quality.

pbayne

Good call on Valerian.

It probably won't be a bomb per se, but I feel like the next Pirates of the Caribbean's box office will shrink significantly.

lol what? Never heard of that. Jesus interest in the franchise must be deader than dead at this point+Johnny Depp is a flop magnet at times so that's my guess too.

Nielm

Wonder Woman/Emoji Movie.

I can't see Logan or The Mummy bombing. (Tom Cruise..well known franchise..summer blockbuster.)

Koodo

Banned
Pirates is probably going to outright bomb in the USA but do amazingly well everywhere else, which means it'll be a huge success overall. Each successive entry has had a bigger gap between the domestic/international breakdown.

CHiPS is my frontrunner. We don't even have a poster let alone a trailer, and the thing comes out in March. I bet the studio has zero faith in this movie and is doing everything it can to kill it.

What kind of budget do you think this has?
Not a single high profile actor outside of maybe Kristen Bell who is the wife of the director :p

I think you could get most of these guys to appear in your student film for a warm meal.

Dax's last movie cost 2 million and grossed 11 million. Even if nobody ever saw it it wouldn't be a big bomb.

Skux

The Mummy will be fine. Tom Cruise is still a huge box office draw, especially internationally. Also, spectacle blockbusters can make up for poor domestic response (both critical and box office) in non-English markets where script and acting quality is less important.

There is no way in hell The Mummy will be a flop, you guys are crazy. Tom Cruise is still too massive a draw. I think Ghost in the Shell will do decent as well due to Scarllet's star power. The new Pirates movie and Kong Island are definitely not going to be flops either, but they may underperform a little. Valerian, however, has flop written all over it. That budget is ridiculous and the trailers make it look as goofy as Jupiter Ascending.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I'm hoping it's not Blade Runner 2049. Please be good. Please be fucking good...
I'm interested in seeing how his goes.

Blade Runner is a beloved film with a huge cult following but I'm not really sure if the years have pushed it beyond just being a cult film.

Maybe it won't even matter since it has gosling, ford and Denise.

nemesun

I on the other hand, absolutely hope that the new Blade Runner bombs hard. The studio needs to leave it the fuck alone.

For my guess, it's going to be between Valerian and King Arthur. GiTS gonna do Total Recall number.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Valerian will bomb in the US, but WW numbers will save it. Same goes for Transformers.

Emoji will bomb globally.

It'll be interesting to see what Wonder Woman will do, if it can shrug off the tarnish of BvS and SS. Justice League Pt 1 will face the same difficulty to a greater extend, since it's got the same director that brought us MoS and BvS.

Of course, Thor Ragnarok, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 and Spider-Man homecoming will bomb hard because superhero-fatigue.

Dalek

I say XXX will bomb. No one wanted that shit 15 years ago.

Also don't forget Baywatch is coming out and looks awful.

Of course, Thor Ragnarok, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 and Spider-Man homecoming will bomb hard because superhero-fatigue.

There is no fatigue. What are you basing this on? Your own personal fatigue? Because many like you have predicted this every year and every year you are all proven wrong.

LionPride

Banned
I on the other hand, absolutely hope that the new Blade Runner bombs hard. The studio needs to leave it the fuck alone.

For my guess, it's going to be between Valerian and King Arthur. GiTS gonna do Total Recall number.
Man what is wrong with folks? You hope Blade Runner flops because a sequel that has been in development for years finally got made?

Got a problem

BLACKLAC

There is no fatigue. What are you basing this on? Your own personal fatigue? Because many like you have predicted this every year and every year you are all proven wrong.

G3lcep4.gif

Valerian will bomb in the US, but WW numbers will save it. Same goes for Transformers.

Emoji will bomb globally.

It'll be interesting to see what Wonder Woman will do, if it can shrug off the tarnish of BvS and SS. Justice League Pt 1 will face the same difficulty to a greater extend, since it's got the same director that brought us MoS and BvS.

Wonder Woman was one of the more well-received things of BvS despite it's divisive nature. Some critics, but it seems like the majority enjoyed her extended cameo, or was at least was left interested enough in the character. I don't think BvS will hurt its chances any in the end. And neither will SS. People have a hard time believing that people really liked that movie and make all kinds of excuses for why it made the money it did, but no movie makes that kind of money if it's not enjoyed by a large amount of people. The 'tarnish' of the DCEU is mostly an online thing, I think, but WW will probably be a good proving point for that.

I worry more about the competition it face since it's opening in a crowded time period, but you know, I still think it's going to do well and could potentially be a big surprise. No way it's going to outright bomb, though. I just can't see that happening

cyba89

Holy shit! That awful looking Monster Trucks movie has an estimated 125 million dollar budget?
That one will be the bomb of the year for sure.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
King Arthur or Valerian. Although the international numbers will take some of the sting out of it for Valerian since it's sci-fi.

LosDaddie

Banned
The Mummy but I don't know. I guess Cruise is typically good for BO gold.

I would say Emoji movie, but my 8yo daughter has already made me promise to take her and her bestie to see it. 💩

Nepenthe

I want to hold out hope for Valerian because of the comic's status in Europe, the director and, well, it's sci-fi. I don't think it will do terribly in the US provided it's good enough, but it won't be this huge bomb internationally.

Indeed, none of the big releases (lol Monster Trucks; lol xXx) seem primed for significant underperformance, not even Wonder Woman simply because fucking Synder isn't directing it. But if I had a gun to my head, I'd choose Power Rangers.

Ekai

All of them. They'll be so busy competing with each other and the economy will be so fucked that everything will flop.

Violet_0

Banned
Valerian seems obvious
The Emoji Movie (I hope it bombs)
I'm not familiar with the Monster Trucks movie but that one too, probably

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom