• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS 2 discussion thread (provisional release date: Septemberish 2017)

Storm conditions seems to be Forza 7's big thing this year - are you thinking of that OT? We had storms already in pCARS (pretty epic ones) but do have snow storms this time around.

I guess pCARS 2's USPs this time are full seasonal weather, LiveTrack 3, rally cross, ice racing, top marques, and useable joypad controls.

There's a free biscuit to anyone who can shoehorn that lot into one snappy title.

The dynamic joy(pad) of crossing a Porsche and a Ferrari on wet conditions.

Too hard, we might have to use only one or two for the OT title.

danowat

Banned
Have we had confirmation about The motorsport pack being exclusive to those who pre-order the season pass?

That shit is awful.

Nope, I don't think anyone knows for sure, the cynic in me says that this is by design, make it appear that it's exclusive to the pre-order season pass.

deadfolk

Interested in this, but seeing as I have Forza 7 preordered, I think I'm going to hold off to see what the VR support is like this time.

TJP

Agreed. I'm still confused by it. Pre-order bonuses are nothing but emotional blackmail.
Only if people feed into it by buying into the pre-order culture which as we all know is rampant in gaming.

Personally, I'd buy the base game from CDKeys and buy the DLC packs later or just wait for the GOTY edition. It's the same thing EVERY time as greedy publishers love to fuck customers as much as possible.

KdotIX

I can't believe it as this wasn't supposed to happen but this game is the first out of the "big 3" to be pre-ordered. I think the track list, live track 3.0 and the driver licensing aspect sold me on it for good. Really cannot wait for this to drop now.

LostDonkey

Interested in this, but seeing as I have Forza 7 preordered, I think I'm going to hold off to see what the VR support is like this time.

Haven't tried it personally, but looking at the plethora of VR YouTube videos and impressions it's a big step up from the first game.

It looks incredible anyway.

KdotIX

Just thought of a possible tongue in-cheek OT title:

Project CARS 2 |OT| Anything they can do, I can (arguably) do better

danowat

Banned
Even embargoes have embargoes these days, so I'd imagine so, wouldn't expect a review till day of release I'd imagine..........

Mascot

Is there a review embargo for this? When should we start expecting reviews?

I *think* the D1P is going out to reviewers with the game about a week before release. I can't imagine SMS or BN have put any embargoes in place for the review code, they seem pretty confident it'll review well. The only concern is old or patch-free code getting reviewed.

fresquito

I *think* the D1P is going out to reviewers with the game about a week before release. I can't imagine SMS or BN have put any embargoes in place for the review code, they seem pretty confident it'll review well. The only concern is old or patch-free code getting reviewed.
I think it's two weeks, so they should have the code right now.

Nice, just before the Forza 7 demo ;)
In the Forza 7 demo thread I said that their demo date is clever, right before the pCARS2 release. Guess SMS aren't all that dumb either
complete accident probably on both sides ;D

But haven't I heard something about not letting reviewers at it before the day1 patch? Are they just getting that patch early or was that just about certain modes or so, online perhaps...? Actually though, I wouldn't really know which big name review outlet to trust for a (hardcore) racing game that's probably still best with a wheel where certain physics mishaps can break my immersion. 99% of average gamers won't find anything wrong with GTS and among typcal racing game reviewers like Daniel Bloodworth for example... would he spot such a thing, he probably wouldn't even mention it in his review. If you then look at sim reviewers... They're basically all youtubers and judge games by how close they are to rFactor physics. Those DiRT 4 reviews are so childish, 95% "not slidey enough" bashing, when the physics are, maybe a bit easy and even less sim, sure, but they're coherent and still fun. The real problem of that game was the repititive random track generation with a too small pool to pull corner sections from.

fresquito

I want to try the Forza 7 demo. I tried playing Apex, but performance was atroicious and my wheel setup didn't work, so I gave up. I doubt it will last for more than a few days in my drive, though.

Mascot

I think it's two weeks, so they should have the code right now.

Eek, didn't realise the D1P had already been completed. I don't know how true it is but a little WMD2 birdie told me that there was still a lot of tweaking work to do in balancing things like the AI behaviour (eg slow first-corner speed, first-corner pile-ups, odd lap times in different weathers, AI aggressiveness etc etc) and still quite a few audio bugs, graphical glitches etc. If this is true and the D1P is already finished two weeks early for review purposes then is a revised D1P going to be out for release to the public? Or are these issues (if they indeed exist) only going to be addressed at a later date?

MaLDo

I want to try the Forza 7 demo. I tried playing Apex, but performance was atroicious and my wheel setup didn't work, so I gave up. I doubt it will last for more than a few days in my drive, though.

With locked 60 fps, Forza Apex is a looker, and incredibly fun.

danowat

Banned
Eek, didn't realise the D1P had already been completed. I don't know how true it is but a little WMD2 birdie told me that there was still a lot of tweaking work to do in balancing things like the AI behaviour (eg slow first-corner speed, first-corner pile-ups, odd lap times in different weathers, AI aggressiveness etc etc) and still quite a few audio bugs, graphical glitches etc. If this is true and the D1P is already finished two weeks early for review purposes then is a revised D1P going to be out for release to the public? Or are these issues (if they indeed exist) only going to be addressed at a later date?

D2P?

fresquito

What was meant to be D1P is done, or so we've been told. Of course, like with any game this size and complexity, there're still ways to improve/polish/balance. Whether a new D1P or an early patch will land soon after release, that I don't know.

First corner pile-ups I have not seen for a while, but then again, I don't tend to play against the AI all that much. In my latest experience (on the last day we had the game), the behaviour of the AI was quite good on first lap, if a bit slow in general. This was at Brands Hatch, could be better or worse in other circuits. In general, the game is in good state, IMO, very solid. Nothing like PC1 at release, or even at final patch. Still, like I've said before, it will need some patches that will iron out all the smaller problems/fix some obscure bugs and add extra polish in general.

With locked 60 fps, Forza Apex is a looker, and incredibly fun.
My wheel doesn't work with it, so I can't have all this incredible fun you talk about :-/

I've read Forza 7 supports double hardware inputs, so here's hoping I can make it work.

terrible

Banned

I do love the "FH3/Apex runs perfect now" lies though. Nah, they still run like shit for a lot of people.

Mascot

What was meant to be D1P is done, or so we've been told. Of course, like with any game this size and complexity, there're still ways to improve/polish/balance. Whether a new D1P or an early patch will land soon after release, that I don't know.

First corner pile-ups I have not seen for a while, but then again, I don't tend to play against the AI all that much. In my latest experience (on the last day we had the game), the behaviour of the AI was quite good on first lap, if a bit slow in general. This was at Brands Hatch, could be better or worse in other circuits. In general, the game is in good state, IMO, very solid. Nothing like PC1 at release, or even at final patch. Still, like I've said before, it will need some patches that will iron out all the smaller problems/fix some obscure bugs and add extra polish in general.

Ah, that's good to hear. My insider was a little concerned about the final polishing pass, but maybe most of it has already been dealt with. I don't think it was anything game-breaking.

My wheel doesn't work with it, so I can't have all this incredible fun you talk about :-/

I've read Forza 7 supports double hardware inputs, so here's hoping I can make it work.

Apex looks fantastic and runs solid as a rock on my rig. I was really excited to try it but, after pCARS and Assetto Corsa, it felt like a game and not a sim. That's the best way I could describe it, really. I played for maybe an hour or so, that was all. Ended up switching to chase cam and enjoyed that more, but not enough to keep my interest.

Thing is, I was a die-hard FM fan on the Xbox, 360 and One. I actually bought an Xbox One purely for Forza. My love for the franchise felt genuine at the time but was probably largely down to lack of choice on that platform. It's not even in my top ten of racing games now.

There's probably a solid simulation of serious motorsport buried in there somewhere just itching to be unleashed but Turn 10 just don't seem interested in that market.

fresquito

Ah, that's good to hear. My insider was a little concerned about the final polishing pass, but maybe most of it has already been dealt with. I don't think it was anything game-breaking.
Maybe it is me, I don't know. After PC1 I learned quite a few things of game development and how I should I approach WMD2. I've seen quite a few WMD members panic in the latest weeks, probably giving too much thought to problems that maybe are not all that important in the grand schemes of things. Like, I'm not happy with scroll bars in the game. Except car and track selection screens, all other scroll bars are as bad as in PC1. But is it really all that important? I guess not. I mean, I would like all these small details to be perfect on release, I understand reporting some problems and seeing them in the game when it releases doesn't feel good, but I'm also aware of the realities of game development. As much sense as it makes for all players to say: Hey, wait some extra months to add polish, it's not that easy for independent studios such as SMS. I guess it's even harder for the devs than it is for WMD members not being able to fix these small things before release because there are more important things to fix/create/make work.

There's probably a solid simulation of serious motorsport buried in there somewhere just itching to be unleashed but Turn 10 just don't seem interested in that market.
Seeing the gargantuan franchise they've built, I can't blame them for picking the route they are in.

Fox Mulder

Thing is, I was a die-hard FM fan on the Xbox, 360 and One. I actually bought an Xbox One purely for Forza. My love for the franchise felt genuine at the time but was probably largely down to lack of choice on that platform. It's not even in my top ten of racing games now.

Me too. I stuck with the Xbox during their horrible launch shit just for Forza. I play it because I've done so for 10 years. I still bought pcars day one because I craved more. Ended up not liking the flaws and went back to forza.

I love f1 games for the career with actual races, qualifying, regulations, and strategies that make things more fun. I'm playing f1 2017 career in a Toro Rosso and having fun races fighting for 13th place against other back markers. My team is happy with this.

Forza fails you for not rushing to the front in three laps. I'm just over it and really want Pcars 2 to be great.

Starting to gain some real hype for PCars2.

The first one was OK, but didn't feel right to me on the controller and had some nasty screen tearing on some tracks.

If Slightly Mad has managed to fix the controller issues and performance is stable without tearing this will end up being my main sim. Forza seems to be focused on improvements for the scorpio hardware and GT Sport has its focus squarely on the online component, which allows PCars2 the perfect opportunity to overtake them both.

nelo_inc

Starting to gain some real hype for PCars2.

The first one was OK, but didn't feel right to me on the controller and had some nasty screen tearing on some tracks.

If Slightly Mad has managed to fix the controller issues and performance is stable without tearing this will end up being my main sim. Forza seems to be focused on improvements for the scorpio hardware and GT Sport has its focus squarely on the online component, which allows PCars2 the perfect opportunity to overtake them both.

My thoughts exactly, the more i see from this game the more i want it.

A bit tired of Forza, still have 6 and Horizon 3 to finish, GT Sport is a demo..

Can´t believe it´s finally happening. I´m hoping that it sounds like RaceRoom, looks like GTS, drives like AC, competes like iRacing and it´s diverse like Forza.

Maybe it´s too much to ask for, but everything seems to be going right for this game. Hopefully they can deliver.

I just think Namco is being stupid by withholding DLC talk. I´ve already paid for the complete package, so i just want to know what i´ll be getting in the future.

Didn't play the first one. Probably should have on PC. I will probably get this for PC too but I am getting Forza 7 on PC and GT Sport on PS4Pro so I'm well stuffed for racing games. May not get PC2 and GTSport immediately but I will.

fresquito

Can´t believe it´s finally happening. I´m hoping that it sounds like RaceRoom, looks like GTS, drives like AC, competes like iRacing and it´s diverse like Forza.
I think it sounds slightly worse than RaceRoom, looks better than GTS during gameplay, is more organic than AC, competitively is nowhere near as organised as iRacing and is far, far, far more diverse than Forza.

Sebmugi

the optimization seems a little weak .. but it is the price to pay on console .. meanwhile the pro and one versions X

I smiled ;) spatialship effect

mduMQed.gif

Mascot

I think it sounds slightly worse than RaceRoom, looks better than GTS during gameplay, is more organic than AC, competitively is nowhere near as organised as iRacing and is far, far, far more diverse than Forza.

"Slightly worse than RaceRoom" is still very encouraging. I know one of the goals for pCARS 2 was to surpass RR's audio and it sounds like they got pretty damn close.

Project CARS 2 |OT| Slightly Worse Than RaceRoom

20cent

Banned
Since they made us believe that the first PCars was coming to the WiiU until the last minute, is this coming to Switch?

Mascot

VVV Mars VG

Graphically it's quite disappointing IMHO. Not bad, just not as good as the competition.

The trouble here is, the amount of data required for the Live Track 3.0, along with the improved car physics there so much going on that they've gone for a balance to keep the data flowing.

Since they made us believe that the first PCars was coming to the WiiU until the last minute, is this coming to Switch?

Can't see it myself, you'd have 30fps with graphics downgraded from the PS4 version, wouldn't be the same.

Mascot

The trouble here is, the amount of data required for the Live Track 3.0, along with the improved car physics there so much going on that they've gone for a balance to keep the data flowing.

It looks pretty good to me, especially for the vanilla PS4. I also thought the first game looked great on PS4, especially with low sun angles. I thought the dynamic lighting overall was bloody great, actually.

Klocker

Hoping they go all in on the x1x version though.

Better effects, HDR, 4k assets, even checkerboard 4k would be great if the ramp graphics up to 11

Top Bottom