• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS 2 discussion thread (provisional release date: Septemberish 2017)

danowat

Banned
I'm not sure what to read into that?

That the PS4 Pro will have HDR and nothing else?, I'd like to assume, considering the person who replied is a WMD2 member, and the fact that the development team haven't, a) corrected them, or, b) been shouting the Pro enhancements from the rooftops, that they are correct.

Now, the question is, because it has HDR, will that mean it's "pro enhanced" and boost mode won't work?

Both the Pro and the X1X are getting support. HDR is not enabled atm for the PS4 review, but will be available by the release date. Meaning reviews prior to launch on PS4/Pro won't have anything about HDR. The X1s WILL have HDR.

Cons:

None of the consoles will support 4K, nor is it locked at 60fps.

danowat

Banned
Both the Pro and the X1X are getting support. HDR is not enabled atm for the PS4 review, but will be available by the release date. Meaning reviews prior to launch on PS4/Pro won't have anything about HDR. The X1s WILL have HDR.

Cons:

So basically confirming that post on the PCar forum.

Any reports on it's performance, and if boost mode makes a difference?, I am hoping DF do a complete analysis.

So basically confirming that post on the PCar forum.

Any reports on it's performance, and if boost mode makes a difference?, I am hoping DF do a complete analysis.

Can't really say much, but not seeing any boost differences, and seeing a lot of dropped frames. I really wish it was locked ;( But LiveTrack 3.0 is consuming a lot of the consoles power.

If you want 4K *and beyond*, you'll have to get PC2 on PC.

danowat

Banned
Can't really say much, but not seeing any boost differences, and seeing a lot of dropped frames. I really wish it was locked ;( But LiveTrack 3.0 is consuming a lot of the consoles power.

If you want 4K *and beyond*, you'll have to get PC2 on PC.

Yeah, appreciate that.

Real shame about boost mode not making much difference, hopefully it's decent enough, with not too many frame or tearing issues.

Bobnob

Cons:

So the game will be shit dipping into 40s n 50s on pro n X1X??? btw dipping below 60fps on either is shit imo.

danowat

Banned
I wish I'd listened to all the temptresses years ago..!
Best move I ever made in my entire sim racing career.

I had many, many years doing sim racing on PC, I just don't have the inclination to return, for the amount of time I have available, it's just not worth it logistically.

Makki

So the game will be shit dipping into 40s n 50s on pro n X1X??? btw dipping below 60fps on either is shit imo.
Pretty disgusting. Having said that Im not cancelling the PS4 preorder, my wheel is itching for a racing game and GT Sport is still another month out.
Would be nice if other developers worked the Forza magic to hit 60 fps lock, but then you sacrifice looks unlike these guys

I think it sounds slightly worse than RaceRoom, looks better than GTS during gameplay, is more organic than AC, competitively is nowhere near as organised as iRacing and is far, far, far more diverse than Forza.

Disagree on the first two to be honest. RaceRoom is still ahead by a lot and it doesn't look no where near GTS. It still isn't at Forza 7's level either.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

I think that would be on the extreme end of the "not locked at 60 fps" spectrum... not locked doesn't have to mean lots of major drops, it could be unlocked because of infrequent minor dips too. Let's wait and see.

Ps4 footage looks pretty good so far btw

Mascot

Disagree on the first two to be honest. RaceRoom is still ahead by a lot and it doesn't look no where near GTS. It still isn't at Forza 7's level either.

Do either of those have accurate global illumination, correctly orientated for long/lat positioning and the time/day of the year, with a full 24hr day/night cycle, changing seasons and a dynamically progressive weather system? That context really needs to be applied when comparing the visuals. And that's if comparing the visuals is even considered to be a worthwhile exercise, such are the differences in how the games are rendered.

It's like saying the Hunchback of Notre Dame has more impressive back muscles than Arnold Schwarzenegger. Or not. Maybe.

I think that would be on the extreme end of the "not locked at 60 fps" spectrum... not locked doesn't have to mean lots of major drops, it could be unlocked because of infrequent minor dips too. Let's wait and see.

Ps4 footage looks pretty good so far btw

Aye, didn't people see the VVV video posted above? There were minor, occasional dips, not some slideshow fuckfest to invoke hyperventilating and pant-shitting.

People need to relax. The game looks and performs great from what I've seen.

danowat

Banned
Do either of those have accurate global illumination, correctly orientated for long/lat positioning and the time/day of the year, with a full 24hr day/night cycle and a dynamically progressive weather system? That context really needs to be applied when comparing the visuals. And that's if comparing the visuals is even considered to be a worthwhile exercise, such are the differences in how the games are rendered.

It's like saying the Hunchback of Notre Dame has more impressive back muscles than Arnold Schwarzenegger. Or not. Maybe.

You forgot seasons.

Do either of those have accurate global illumination, correctly orientated for long/lat positioning and the time/day of the year, with a full 24hr day/night cycle and a dynamically progressive weather system? That context really needs to be applied when comparing the visuals. And that's if comparing the visuals is even considered to be a worthwhile exercise, such are the differences in how the games are rendered.

Things like the actual lighting system, car models and track side detail are surely higher on the list when comparing visuals. PCARS 2 tech is more advanced in some areas but the sacrifices are apparent with a whole lot of graphical issues, pop in, etc.

Mascot

You forgot seasons.

I didn't want to over-egg the pudding.

:p

Things like the actual lighting system, car models and track side detail are surely higher on the list when comparing visuals. PCARS 2 tech is more advanced in some areas but the sacrifices are apparent with a whole lot of graphical issues, pop in, etc.

That totally depends where your priorities lie. The better tech in pCARS should lead to a better (ie more authentic) sim. If that means the visuals aren't quite as good as GTS or FM7, but are still bloody good by most metrics, then to me that's the right direction to take.

Echoing this. The car models and lighting are really impressive. The tracks, not so much but the cars, they did a fantastic job on them.

I didn't want to over-egg the pudding.

:p

That totally depends where your priorities lie. The better tech in pCARS should lead to a better (ie more authentic) sim. If that means the visuals aren't quite as good as GTS or FM7, but are still bloody good by most metrics, then to me that's the right direction to take.

Which is fair enough. I was replying to the it looks better than GTSport post which I think is not true at all.

fresquito

So many empty asumptions.

Echoing this. The car models and lighting are really impressive. The tracks, not so much but the cars, they did a fantastic job on them.
On the lighting front I think PC2 is significantly behind both GTS and Forza 7 from an aesthetic point of view.

In addition to the dynamic lighting, weather, and track conditions, PC2 has a significant advantage in terms of sheer content though (particularly with respect to tracks) that doesn't seem to be mentioned enough. The console graphics are an issue for me though (going by the latest VVV footage), I was really hoping for a lot more optimisation there.

On the lighting front I think PC2 is significantly behind both GTS and Forza 7 from an aesthetic point of view.

In addition to the dynamic lighting, weather, and track conditions, PC2 has a significant advantage in terms of sheer content though (particularly with respect to tracks) that doesn't seem to be mentioned enough. The console graphics are an issue for me though (going by the latest VVV footage), I was really hoping for a lot more optimisation there.

I'm going off the actual review code that I'm reviewing right now, it looks a bit more impressive. That said, I don't have GT Sport to compare it to.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Do either of those have accurate global illumination, correctly orientated for long/lat positioning and the time/day of the year, with a full 24hr day/night cycle, changing seasons and a dynamically progressive weather system? That context really needs to be applied when comparing the visuals. And that's if comparing the visuals is even considered to be a worthwhile exercise, such are the differences in how the games are rendered.

not to mention the size of the field of cars. taking all of this in i think pcars is VERY impressive on ps4. i expect pcars2 to amaze on x1x too

Project CARS 2 |OT| Not some slideshow fuckfest to invoke hyperventilating and pant-shitting

this has a nice ring to it

So, if multi-class races supposedly work really well by now, why not give the option to select every single car and livery on the grid like you can in AC?

Same with Forza and Gran Turismo? That can't be hard to implement and it's a fantastic feature in Assetto Corsa in my opinion.
You guys think if we make our voices heard on the forums post release, SMS might give us a the option in a later patch? FM6 patched in better car selection for free play races 3 months after release, changes like that are not unprecedented, right?

fresquito

So, if multi-class races supposedly work really well by now, why not give the option to select every single car and livery on the grid like you can in AC?

Same with Forza and Gran Turismo? That can't be hard to implement and it's a fantastic feature in Assetto Corsa in my opinion.
You guys think if we make our voices heard on the forums post release, SMS might give us a the option in a later patch? FM6 patched in better car selection for free play races 3 months after release, changes like that are not unprecedented, right?
I would not count on it.

sourc3d

This week's Famitsu review scores are in.
Everybody's Golf (PS4) – 8/8/8/9 [33/40]
The Girl and the Robot (PS4) – 6/7/7/7 [27/40]
The Girl and the Robot (Wii U) – 6/7/7/7 [27/40]
KonoSuba: God's Blessing on this Wonderful World! Judgment on this Greedy Game! (PS4) – 8/7/7/8 [30/40]
KonoSuba: God's Blessing on this Wonderful World! Judgment on this Greedy Game! (PS Vita) – 8/7/7/8 [30/40]
League of Evil (Switch) – 7/7/7/8 [29/40]
Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite (PS4) – 8/8/8/8 [32/40]
Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite (XBO) – 8/8/8/8 [32/40]
Nil Admirari no Tenbin: Kuroyuri En'youtan (PS Vita) – 8/8/8/8 [32/40]
Oekaki Puzzle: Pic-a-Pix (3DS) – 7/7/7/6 [27/40]
Project Cars 2 (PS4) – 9/8/9/8 [34/40]
Teikoku Kaleido: Kakumei no Rondo (PS Vita) – 6/6/6/7 [25/40]
Windjammers (PS4) – 8/7/7/9 [31/40]
Windjammers (PS Vita) – 8/7/7/9 [31/40]

Read more at https://gematsu.com/2017/09/famitsu-review-scores-issue-1502#eFkZKciwKJdmLJXg.99

Also a cool Japanese promo video linked from the famitsu site which seems new. https://www.famitsu.com/news/201709/12141603.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7EYB8mdpvU - Definitely cooler with a Japanese voiceover "Projecto Cars Tsu"

Klocker

Cons:

wait what?

not even xbox 1X?

edit
The X1s WILL have HDR.

well that's something at least, but man 1080p xbox X?

Grassy

wait what?

not even xbox 1X?

edit

well that's something at least, but man 1080p xbox X?

I'm pretty sure that's speculation on that poster's part. There's been nothing official announced yet as to whether it will run at native 4k, use checkerboarding or downsampling on X1X.

Native 4K/60fps is probably too much to ask of the X1X hardware. Given the amount of cars on track and dynamic weather/seasons/livetrack etc, I could see them using 1440p or a higher checkerboard resolution to maintain 60fps.

Klocker

I'm pretty sure that's speculation on that poster's part. There's been nothing official announced yet as to whether it will run at native 4k, use checkerboarding or downsampling on X1X.

Native 4K/60fps is probably too much to ask of the X1X hardware. Given the amount of cars on track and dynamic weather/seasons/livetrack etc, I could see them using 1440p or a higher checkerboard resolution to maintain 60fps.

good point, higher res would be nice, 1440p or checkerboard with HDR and a solid FR would be fine with as much that's going on

Mascot

Shadowhaxor has review code with the D1P though, so it's probably a little more than speculation.

I *think* all the console resolution/framerate/HDR variables were clarified in the Q&A on GTP recently (or in one of the other threads there). I didn't pay much attention though so can't really comment.

danowat

Banned
Shadowhaxor has review code with the D1P though, so it's probably a little more than speculation.

I *think* all the console resolution/framerate/HDR variables were clarified in the Q&A on GTP recently (or in one of the other threads there). I didn't pay much attention though so can't really comment.

I think he was talking specifically about what the X1X does, although, I'd be surprised if it does much more than the pro version does though?

Top Bottom