• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project GAF Inn - $5,000 for a mark in Obsidian's Project Eternity [FUNDED!]

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Stuff like this is the direction this should head in. Cool suggestions directly from GAF that can be universally-appreciated will make it an appropriate-enough "GAF inn." Design the place as you might if you were designing a game for everyone.

I agree. I think some in-jokes are okay too, but they should also be subtle enough that they don't really seem out of place to someone who won't pick up on it.

But I don't think we've heard how much creative control Obsidian is going to give, so who knows how restricted things are going to be. Given the wording of the reward tier, I'm guessing it's going to be less open than some people are hoping for.

Do we have confirmation?

The best kinds of references are the ones were if they go over your head, are still good. Obviously that is damn hard to do so y'all fucked.

I think a dungeon of banished bar patrons (who've turned into monsters) under the tavern who you might be thrown into if you break a rule in the bar, is a simple but good reference to Neogaf.

Same with a long queue outside the bar, with hopeful patrons-to-be lamenting over how long they've had to wait to be granted entry to the place.

injurai

Banned
I think a dungeon of banished bar patrons (who've turned into monsters) under the tavern who you might be thrown into if you break a rule in the bar, is a simple but good reference to Neogaf.

Same with a long queue outside the bar, with hopeful patrons-to-be lamenting over how long they've had to wait to be granted entry to the place.

Brilliant, I love how this is shaping up.

dude

dude

Both excellent ideas. It would be cool if we could ask Obsidian to give the monsters name of famous banned gaffers.

Instro

Since rumors and "insider info" are often posted on GAF, it would be kind of neat if all the inn patrons had some tall tales to tell about other parts of the game world or stories about different important people and monsters, etc. Maybe some fake tips on defeating certain monsters?

Wallach

Both excellent ideas. It would be cool if we could ask Obsidian to give the monsters name of famous banned gaffers.

I'd prefer something more subtle. Maybe write some custom descriptions for the hover (I'm just assuming hover descriptions are in, I hope so) that people around here would get.

dude

dude
They could also talk of the Consuls Wars. Or Some could speak in some distinct slang where instead of yes you say "For!" and replace no with "Against!"

I'd prefer something more subtle. Maybe write some custom descriptions for the hover (I'm just assuming hover descriptions are in, I hope so) that people around here would get.

I didn't mean the actual nickname, that would be silly. Something like... The Crushed One. Something based on them.

Agyar

A lot of people have PM-ed me asking to pledge for this: I've decided to accept donations till the end of pledge. it'll help cover the currency conversion cost.

Click here to do so, and thank you all for being so enthusiastic!

Donated $10. I had planned to do this last week but have had a busy couple of days. If it helps out with the currency conversion and coverage of any other Paypal fees, that's great.

Thank you, Agyar! It certainly helps! :)

P.S. Does anyone has a visual example of inns or taverns in previous Obsidian titles? I would love to see what they can do or how creative we can go with it.

F!ReW!Re

P.S. Does anyone has a visual example of inns or taverns in previous Obsidian titles? I would love to see what they can do or how creative we can go with it.

I can look up some screenshots of the inside and outside of the inns from various of their games, but I think some others in this thread have already asked the same question;

We need to know how much freedom we are getting with the design of the inn:
- Is it located in a big city or in a small town or even out in the wilds (along a highway)
- Are we allowed to make up quests that are being given out by people/creature's in the inn?
- Can we have a dungeon/back area in the inn (like for example the copper coronet had in Bg2)
- Do we have the freedom to design the whole building? Exterior as well as interior?
- How close to the game lore do we need to keep it?
- How far can we go with references to Neogaf in the inn/design?

I mean I got a lot of great ideas myself, but I'll keep those until we make a new thread for the actual design/discussion of the inn :)

It might be cool if there was a little quest in the inn/bar where maybe two guys are arguing over which kind of ale is better, and you can basically troll them into fighting each other and getting them thrown into the dungeon below the bar.

Fail at the speech check or whatever and the bartender notices and you get thrown down there instead.

How close to the game lore do we need to keep it?
- How far can we go with references to Neogaf in the inn/design?

As close as possible, and as relatively subtle as possible would be the best way to go in my opinion - it would be doing both GAF and the game a disservice to just make a 'bubble' building full of blatant references and in-jokes. Though I'm sure Obsidian wouldn't let that fly anyhow.

The 'banished patrons' dungeon is indeed a great idea.

Do we know who the other two takers for the Inn tier are, btw? There's a certain competition factor here as well, we need to make damn sure that GAF Inn is Best Inn!

Keio

For a Finer World
As close as possible, and as relatively subtle as possible would be the best way to go in my opinion - it would be doing both GAF and the game a disservice to just make a 'bubble' building full of blatant references and in-jokes. Though I'm sure Obsidian wouldn't let that fly anyhow.

Do we know who the other two takers for the Inn tier are, btw? There's a certain competition factor here as well, we need to make damn sure that GAF Inn is Best Inn!
Agree 100% with this post: I think it's a service to the game and other gamers that we work with Obsidian to make something that fits perfectly into the game world. All the references that are put in should be things that don't throw off people who are "not in the know".

One option could be to go for a "gaming theme" that fits in the fantasy world. Make it a members only gamblers' paradise, with patrons arguing for and against the merits of different games of chance.

It would be great if Obsidian let us design a couple of guests: gaining entry to the Gamblinage tavern (through stealth, stealing an account, talking your way in, bribing someone...), taking part in some argument where you can choose sides & see the banhammer in action (and maybe get a chance to get an item like that) and finally joining the inner circle by getting rid of Junior title that everyone first calls you.

F!ReW!Re

Yep precisely what I was thinking!
I think a couple of subtle insider jokes might be good but the best would be if the inn did actually fit in the world/lore we/obsidian are placing it in..
Agree 100% with this post: I think it's a service to the game and other gamers that we work with Obsidian to make something that fits perfectly into the game world. All the references that are put in should be things that don't throw off people who are "not in the know".

One option could be to go for a "gaming theme" that fits in the fantasy world. Make it a members only gamblers' paradise, with patrons arguing for and against the merits of different games of chance.

It would be great if Obsidian let us design a couple of guests: gaining entry to the Gamblinage tavern (through stealth, stealing an account, talking your way in, bribing someone...), taking part in some argument where you can choose sides & see the banhammer in action (and maybe get a chance to get an item like that) and finally joining the inner circle by getting rid of Junior title that everyone first calls you.

I really dig the idea of gambling to be honest!
Maybe you can actually bet on some stuff as the protagonist as well :)
Also like your idea of that junior title, where everyone will call you junior/novice/kid/young one at the beginning..

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The Inn could be split into two parts. A gambling portion and a regular tavern portion for people to just talk regularly. "I came for the gambling, but stayed for the repartee".

Do we know how events will happen? Random or scripted? You enter the gambling section for the first time and some people are having an argument. Somebody in the inn yells out "It's a troll!", one of the guys in the argument suddenly turns into a Troll.

You could have the troll immediately beat up there or the bouncer could flip a trap door on the floor. You would then be informed about the dungeon underneath the inn. The troll would be the end boss of the dungeon below the inn. Beating him would drop the unique item we design.

I'm sure this is going to be a long dialogue with Obsidian. The game won't be out till 2014. We don't even know what each of the cities are going to look like or which one our Inn will go in.

Azih

They could also talk of the Consuls Wars. Or Some could speak in some distinct slang where instead of yes you say "For!" and replace no with "Against!"
I don't like the Consolus War idea but I do like the For/Against one, maybe just one patron who speaks like that. Keeps it subtle.

I don't like the Consolus War idea but I do like the For/Against one, maybe just one patron who speaks like that. Keeps it subtle.

Yeah, keep it as subtle as possible.
You can make great references to GAF without resorting to GAF fanfiction ("The Perseus Census, or "PC"-race, are the masters and lord over the lowly Consolus plebians!").

Having two patrons just quibble about something meaningless puts the point across just as well, or having an old, grumpy prophet go "Believe!" at random intervals.

The unique item on the otherhand should totally be a direct GAF reference :p
Like bishoptl's ban hammer, or a magic orb of +10 intelligence (-3 wisdom) in the shape of the NeoGAF logo (which wouldn't look that out of place).

Lace

The Inn could be split into two parts. A gambling portion and a regular tavern portion for people to just talk regularly. "I came for the gambling, but stayed for the repartee".
I like this idea.

Whatever the quest I would find it funny if the reward could be the equivalent of GAF Gold (title could be more subtle). Having it would grant you special access to a secret area of the tavern.

kottila

I like this idea.

Whatever the quest I would find it funny if the reward could be the equivalent of GAF Gold (title could be more subtle). Having it would grant you special access to a secret area of the tavern.

Which turns out to be a completely empty room? or just a door opening to a brickwall

Violet_0

Banned

very generic in all Obsidian games (in NWN2, they were using pre-made titles). The question is wether we (you) can influence the visual representation of the tavern (which would be awesome, Gaffers could post their design sketches and vote for their favorites) or just minor details (inn/npc names, custom weapon, maybe some of the dialogue options).

The unique item on the otherhand should totally be a direct GAF reference :p
Like bishoptl's ban hammer, or a magic orb of +10 intelligence (-3 wisdom) in the shape of the NeoGAF logo (which wouldn't look that out of place).

but make the custom weapon do something cool ('turns weapon wielder into a random creature', portal crossbow or whatever you can come up with), not just some boring stats bonus

Lace

Which turns out to be a completely empty room? or just a door opening to a brickwall

An empty room would work. Perhaps using the GAF gold outside of the tavern will teleport you to this room with a 30 minute cool down. Making the item useful for quick traveling.

very generic in all Obsidian games (in NWN2, they were using pre-made titles). The question is wether we (you) can influence the visual representation of the tavern (which would be awesome, Gaffers could post their design sketches and vote for their favorites) or just minor details (inn/npc names, custom weapon, maybe some of the dialogue options).

They did state that it's "Name and Design". I expect the look of the inn to come in design in some aspect.

Josh Sawyer's account has been approved (I think) so I expect direct communication here at GAF.

wrowa

A what now?

"Google Moderator is a Google service that uses crowdsourcing to rank user-submitted questions, suggestions and ideas. It was launched on September 25, 2008.[1] The service allows the management of feedback from a large number of people, who can vote for the top questions that they think should be posed and ask their own. The service aims to ensure that every question is considered, lets the audience see others' questions, and helps the moderator of a team or event address the questions that the audience most cares about.[2]"

Might be easier to just use this thread for ideas though.

The advantage of moderator would be that people can easily vote for or against an idea, that way it's easily recognizable which idea is actually preferred by the majority and not just by some vocal people.

Keasar

You know what would be ideal? An awesome new thread! :D

*wink wink*

8915d5687155704c1caf351dff85d530.jpg

Top Bottom