• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Scorpio supports FreeSync and next-gen HDMI

I don't forsee myself buying a Freesync compatible TV or monitor for a few years since I just bought a KS8000. Cool feature though.

I just bought a 144hz monitor with FreeSync, this certainly has my attention. Really happy to see a console manufacturer paying attention to this. Now give me my FreeSync enabled low input lag 4K OLED TV, please. :)

are TV's going to get support for this?

You need a TV supporting HDMI 2.1 (which includes Game Mode VRR), so 2018 is when to expect the first crop. In theory some existing TVs could be updated via firmware for some HDMI 2.1 features but I would chalk that up to wishful thinking. A "gamer" TV would be a great idea but nobody seems interested in marketing that yet.

All right, Microsoft...I'm listening. I'm getting lubed up for E3---all I need are some games, the main holdup with Xbox One. Don't let me down. My body is ready.

You need a TV supporting HDMI 2.1 (which includes Game Mode VRR), so 2018 is when to expect the first crop. In theory some existing TVs could be updated via firmware for some HDMI 2.1 features but I would chalk that up to wishful thinking. A "gamer" TV would be a great idea but nobody seems interested in marketing that yet.

Basically this. It's not going to be a very common occurrence on TVs, at least possibly, not for a good while. So if you wanted a more guaranteed way to take advantage of FreeSync, it's best to play on a PC monitor that has it.

Are there any TV's out there that support this?

TV's will probably adopt this by end of year or next year sets. Tho, I'm thinking the latter since most tv lineups were revealed during CES earlier this year (this was also when HDMI 2.1 spec was revealed).

So I think, people who game on monitors will reap the benefits first and people who purchase TVs next year will be set.

Not sure if any upcoming 2017 TV's will be able to have it upgraded via a firmware update.

madjoki

Hopefully this means Nvidia is forced to support Freesync too by TV/monitor manufactures choosing freesync over Gsync.

Hoo-doo

Banned
TV's will probably adopt this by end of year or next year sets. Tho, I'm thinking the latter since most tv lineups were revealed during CES earlier this year (this was also when HDMI 2.1 spec was revealed).

So I think, people who game on monitors will reap the benefits first and people who purchase TVs next year will be set.

Not sure if any upcoming 2017 TV's will be able to have it upgraded via a firmware update.

Yeah, that's what I thought. HDMI 2.1 in TV's likely won't be a thing until 2018 at the earliest.

And I don't think there's a huge audience out there with 4K + Freesync monitors that don't use it for a proper PC.
Still, it's good to see them futureproof this thing.

That's a 2560x1080 display though. I don't think the Scorpio will be able to support that resolution properly, but I might be wrong.

Worst case, you end up with black bars on the side and a 1920x1080p image.

Well this is definitely interesting! I'm glad to see that DF still has information to dole out, and this will make put me back to the drawing board in terms of what my next TV will be. I've got a good two to three years left before I plan to upgrade, so I'm hoping this is fairly widespread by then.

Scorpio looks better every gosh darn day,.

Ushay

Wow was not expecting this, could have sworn some posters here said it had Hdmi 2.0, also freesync sounds amazing!

My TV would be a KS8000, does it support this?

sangreal

Wow was not expecting this, could have sworn some posters here said it had Hdmi 2.0, also freesync sounds amazing!

I'm fairly certain the original eurogamer article said HDMI 2.0

I guess because 2.1 isn't ratified yet or because it doesn't support all 2.1 features

HeliosT10

There we go! The whole story now. Pretty awesome, right?

Dark10x and Rich with that beautiful Columbo moment :)

tumblrmb2xrwo5BO1qikcuzo1500.gif

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Unfortunately, by the time any measure of TV's fully take advantage of this(or take advantage of it to begin with) the gen will almost be over :/

I wish TV manufacturers would get with the friggen times. Even HDR standards are not anywhere near simple or unified enough to be supported for consumers.

We've been on the HDMI 1.0 standard for so long you'd have thought these technologies would have been planned by companies to be supported in advance

Zaph

This is the biggest news from Scorpio imo

I can't ever go back from Gsync, so I'm glad a major player has started the race to get similar tech into the living room.

Theorry

They really went full out with this thing it almost feels like a new gen.
If this is gonna be $399 that would be crazy.

nynt9

To my knowledge there are no TVs with current or planned freesync support, so if you want to utilize this you have to get s monitor.

They really went full out with this thing it almost feels like a new gen.
If this is gonna be $399 that would be crazy.

I think this is a bit of an overstatement, but whatever.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Hands down, this is easily THE most exciting/worthwhile Scorpio news and am glad you went back and confirmed with MS, John.
The inclusion of HDMI 2.1 and FreeSync is fucking fantastic! Xbox enthusiasts should be ecstatic cause this is a godsend for jittering/screen tearing.

Unfortunately, by the time any measure of TV's fully take advantage of this the gen will almost be over :/

I wish TV manufacturers would get with the friggen times. Even HDR standards are not anywhere near simple enough to be supported for consumers

Personally, I think this helps paint the picture that Microsoft considers Scorpio to be a half-step towards next gen.

This complicates my TV purchasing decisions. Probably won't be anything with 2.1 available until next year.

This is very good news indeed. When are HDMI 2.1 TVs expected to drop?

2018. So best case expect some product announcements later this year and then 2018 for purchaseable sets. I'd say the big danger with the 2018 line is that it's possible only the higher end ($$$) sets have 2.1. Ideally, you want the midrange to support it too, stuff like typical LCD as opposed to just OLED/QLED. It's really just a matter of how much is it going to cost the manufacturers to use HDMI 2.1 chipsets and be able to drive their displays properly for Game Mode VRR.

For example, one thing I think could happen (hopefully not) is maybe a set supports VRR but not HDR at the same time. Or latency is utter trash if both are on. As usual it's going to take reviews to find out what sets are best.

whats the biggest monitor that currently supports freesync?

The problem is you need Freesync over HDMI, not just any existing Freesync (which typically uses DisplayPort). So you'd have to look very carefully at existing Freesync monitors to find a supporting model.

It could have supported GSync though, no?

GSync requires a custom chipset provided by Nvidia themselves, and (probably) an Nvidia graphics card. And not HDMI. So no.

Top Bottom