• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Scorpio supports FreeSync and next-gen HDMI

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Fucking game changer!
100% preordering the second this thing goes live.

I'm glad MS is future proofing this thing as much as possible.

Unfortunately, by the time any measure of TV's fully take advantage of this(or take advantage of it to begin with) the gen will almost be over :/

I wish TV manufacturers would get with the friggen times. Even HDR standards are not anywhere near simple or unified enough to be supported for consumers.

We've been on the HDMI 1.0 standard for so long you'd have thought these technologies would have been planned by companies to be supported in advance

Yea, realistically, I don't see it getting much use within Scorpio. Both due to TVs not adopting it and then games requiring an unlocked FPS option.

Next gen it should start getting some meaningful traction on consoles.

Bsigg12

With the Scorpio hitting in Holiday 2017, having the feature in place to support TVs dropping in 2018 is really nice. Will definitely be looking to upgrade my TV next year.

Yea, realistically, I don't see it getting much use within Scorpio. Both due to TVs not adopting it and then games requiring an unlocked FPS option.

Next gen it should start getting some meaningful traction on consoles.

Games that seemingly drop frames will also see an advantage there because it'll just send frames to the TV when they're available with say a cap at 60fps so it won't be so glaringly ​obvious that the game is struggling.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Wow was not expecting this, could have sworn some posters here said it had Hdmi 2.0, also freesync sounds amazing!

My TV would be a KS8000, does it support this?
Sadly no. You HDTV/Monitor needs to have HDMI 2.1 as well. Those TVs most likely won't be out this year. But this is excellent news!

Edit:
Any AV receiver would need to be replaced as well unfortunately.
Ooof, yeah good point since it's gonna be awhile before HDMI 2.1 is a standard sadly. :(
I wish we were there already.

Great news, one of the best features of the console, I was bummed when people said this wasn't happening, but fortunately now it is.

Nikodemos

Personally, I think this helps paint the picture that Microsoft considers Scorpio to be a half-step towards next gen.
Wasn't this always the case? Sony view the Pro as a deluxe version of the PS4, whereas MS have pretty much always hinted at Scorpio being Xbone 1.5.

shira

As I said in the Scorpio thread, this is huge.

Variable refresh support on a console is absolutely great. Now if only TV manufactures added variable refresh support in their products....

If Sony did this I could see them making one for PS4 but it'll probably end up being a Monitor company that makes gaming tv's or TV maker making Gamer branded TV's with a huge markup tax.

nynt9

Freesync specifically, no, but VRR is part of the HDMI 2.1 spec so TVs in the future will support the standard.

Considering most people use shitty post processing on TVs and most TV signals are at a fixed framerate, are TV manufacturers really interested in this? I can't see them implementing this as it would increase cost and very few customers would have a use for it.

MrBiggss

Banned
its so funny to all of a sudden see Xbox fanboys scream in joy and celebration for freesync. When possibly most of them did not even know what it was or cared for it 2 hours ago. Before any more celebration goes on people need to read the fine print in the article,

"to see the benefit, you'll need to have a PC monitor - a 4K one preferably, though 1080p screens will work - and it needs to support FreeSync over HDMI. This limits the amount of potential screens as it's more frequently run via DisplayPort, a video output that is not supported by Scorpio."

Its gonna be years before TV manufacturers implement this if ever. Plus there are very few 4k Monitors that do freesync tru HDMI since most do it thru displayport. Plus pc monitors as far as ive heard, do not do HDR. Everybody calm down.

Peltz

This is like... the most important feature of the entire hardware as far as I'm concerned. The fact that it's compatible with Xbox 360 titles is so huge.

I can't wait to play Vanquish without screen tearing. Once HDMI2.1 is ratified and in OLED displays, I will absolutely buy a Scorpio.

The only thing missing from this reveal is OG Xbox emulation. I sincerely hope they get that running some day.

nOoblet16

Such a great feature it really makes you feel like the Xbox 360 design philosophy that MS had is back for Scorpio after the enormous misfire that Xbox One was with its kinect and TV features.

If only Pro had this.
A mid gen refresh that doesn't really take advantage of any of the technologies that have become common since original console's launch is sort of disappointing when the only thing you get is upgrade in raw power.

StereoVsn

Well, damn, this is actually quite good. It's certainly forward lookong and depending on implementation may help older games as well. All this newer tech though is starting to make me think that $449 or $499 may be the price and not $399.

I really hope Sony is taking notes for PS5.

Glad I waited to upgrade

Al-Pacino-LaughSmoking.gif

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Hopefully with the console push for HDMI 2.1, maybe TV manufacturers might be "forced" to bring this to market earlier? Who am I kidding, probably not since it's not a quick cash grab like 3D! Ugh...I want this asap.

Peltz

Considering most people use shitty post processing on TVs and most TV signals are at a fixed framerate, are TV manufacturers really interested in this? I can't see them implementing this as it would increase cost and very few customers would have a use for it.

You think they'd implement HDMI 2.1 but not include this feature?

By the way, I really have to hand it to Microsoft. The Xbox brand wasn't appealing to me this generation, but they really stepped it up with a forward-thinking upgrade. This reminds me of how forward thinking OG Xbox and Xbox 360 were for their time. They lost that cutting-edge feel that they were known for when they released the Xbox One, but the Scorpio feels like return to form.

ironcreed

Banned
This console is made to last. It downsamples to 1080p for those of us who are comfortable there and the system will automatically become even better if and when we decide to upgrade to a 4k TV with all of these extra features down the road. Can't ask for more than that.

Theonik

Brilliant.

I'd love for widespread freesync TVs.
A correction. Freesync is just AMD's brand name for their certification of Adaptive Sync displays (and certification for working with their implementation)

If TVs decide to adopt VRR next year which is still up in the air they will probably go with their own implementations of it and not bother to have AMD's certification. Ironically AMD made Freesync to try and prevent precisely this situation.

Adaptive sync is really hard especially with audio being brought into the mix. Also contrary to popular belief an HDMI user does not need to implement the whole of the spec,
and there is huge leeway on the manner some parts are implemented.

gamz

its so funny to all of a sudden see Xbox fanboys scream in joy and celebration for freesync. When possibly most of them did not even know what it was or cared for it 2 hours ago. Before any more celebration goes on people need to read the fine print in the article,

"to see the benefit, you'll need to have a PC monitor - a 4K one preferably, though 1080p screens will work - and it needs to support FreeSync over HDMI. This limits the amount of potential screens as it's more frequently run via DisplayPort, a video output that is not supported by Scorpio."

Its gonna be years before TV manufacturers implement this if ever. Plus there are very few 4k Monitors that do freesync tru HDMI since most do it thru displayport. Plus pc monitors as far as ive heard, do not do HDR. Everybody calm down.

Consoles pushing tech is always good. Why not get excited?

Must be one of the first HDMI 2.1 devices then? 4K 120hz output an option if the game chosoes to offer it?

No, HDMI is still 2.0 but some features of 2.1 can be added to 2.0 via firmware like GAME MODE VRR.

HDMI 2.1 has 48G bandwidth

HDMI 2.0 has 18G bandwidth

Scorpio and PS4 Pro are HDMI 2.0 obviously

If only Pro had this.
A mid gen refresh that doesn't really take advantage of any of the technologies that have become common since original console's launch is sort of disappointing when the only thing you get is upgrade in raw power.

The HDMI spec that would include Freesync hadn't even been revealed when the Pro came out, let alone when they were designing it.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Personally, I think this helps paint the picture that Microsoft considers Scorpio to be a half-step towards next gen.

Pro is as well, they are both 'half steps'. MS just has their eye a bit more on the future. They definitely have the superior half step box, for those into that sort of thing.

The good news is, the PS5 and other 'next gen' boxes proper should have more of a handle on these technologies, being in a more mature state by then

Hoo-doo

Banned
I love the futureproofing aspect of the inclusion. It's super smart.

But how do people rationalize this as an actual gamechanger? People will barely be able to see the benefits of this inclusion until we are deep into 2018. Not to mention that it actually requires buying a brand new TV.
And something tells me that owners of 4K / Freesync monitors don't really own them to hook up consoles for the most part, seeing as they are mostly sold to the enthusiast PC gaming crowd.

Still, interesting stuff and very forward-thinking.

nynt9

Yeah. The hardware to implement variable refresh is an extra component and that is added cost. Freesync versions of monitors are more expensive than normal versions.

Your concern has been noted.

sangreal

:rolleyes

Its gonna be years before TV manufacturers implement this if ever.

It won't be years, and Scorpio isn't out until the end of this year either so pointing out that no TVs today support it is a bit redundant

leeh

I for one will be using this feature and I knew what it was.

It's a console for the next couple of years, even if TV's don't come out with it until next year, it's a feature which is largely benefitial.

Why all concern trolling at good things.

The HDMI spec that would include Freesync hadn't even been revealed when the Pro came out, let alone when they were designing it.

Exactly, HDMI Game Mode VRR can be added to PS4 Pro with a firmware upgrade...

But until there are TVs that support this, what's the point?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Well, damn, this is actually quite good. It's certainly forward lookong and depending on implementation may help older games as well. All this newer tech though is starting to make me think that $449 or $499 may be the price and not $399.

I really hope Sony is taking notes for PS5.

Pro obviously could not have had this since Scorpio is not even out yet and it was just revealed 2 months ago. But again, that is what MS got for waiting a year longer. Its apart of the HDMI standard by default in the roadmap.

So people trying to say they are disappointed because MS waited a year are getting these technologies because of that. So they should not be disappointed, even if its pointless right now, it won't be in 2 or 3 years, that's what futureproofing is

Bsigg12

So who's alt is this?

We'll start seeing FreeSync compatible TVs as early as January next year since the HDMI 2.1 spec test will be released in the next couple months (Q2 2017).

I'm curious if Microsoft will include a 48G cable with the Scorpio since that is a requirement of the 2.1 spec.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Such a great feature it really makes you feel like the Xbox 360 design philosophy that MS had is back for Scorpio after the enormous misfire that Xbox One was with its kinect and TV features.

If only Pro had this.
It's nice to want things but it would be impossible for the Pro to have this given the timeframe of how/when the standard was finalized.

Also, next gen is when you are gonna see the actual big push for VRR hopefully since TVs and more monitors with HDMI2.1 will be out by then.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

Why tell people to calm down? Including a feature to future proof a console for years after launch is a great thing and we, as consumers, should be encouraging that behavior.

This is a move that MS didn't really need to do but they did to provide an experience that will persist through the next TV hardware generation.

Trago

I love the futureproofing aspect of the inclusion. It's super smart.

But how do people rationalize this as an actual gamechanger? People will barely be able to see the benefits of this inclusion until we are deep into 2018. Not to mention that it actually requires buying a brand new TV.
And something tells me that owners of 4K / Freesync monitors don't really own them to hook up consoles for the most part, seeing as they are mostly sold to the enthusiast PC gaming crowd.

Still, interesting stuff and very forward-thinking.

Considering that this box is being pitched to enthusiasts in the console space, nothing would stop them from buying a PC monitor to take advantage of the feature right now.

That being said, lack of support in TV's is a huge bummer. Once console players get woke to variable refresh and how it dramatically improves the gaming experience, it'll be considered a game changer.

bp.gif

Baleoce

If someone wants to correct my understanding then feel free, and apologies if this isn't very coherent. But say you have a scorpio and a freesync enabled screen, is there potential here to forego a hard-capped fps? I know that essentially freesync means that the gpu tells the screen when to refresh so it all lines up with minimal input latency and no tearing, but would the games still have a hard-cap on what the max frame rate can be, or would that simply be redundant?

Or perhaps it's more difficult for the developers to implement as they have to consider conditions where people won't have freesync support? I guess I'm just trying to think of the difference in practicality between doing this on a PC compared to Scorpio, or if it actually matters at all.

scoobs

Imagine a world where TV's actually had freesync/gsync support. Its not one we live in currently, but that would be dope.

Why tell people to calm down? Including a feature to future proof a console for years after launch is a great thing and we, as consumers, should be encouraging that behavior.

This is a move that MS didn't really need to do but they did to provide an experience that will persist through the next TV hardware generation.

I would argue that that's not really true. This isn't them doing us a favor, this is them releasing a product compatible with the most recent spec of HDMI.

Top Bottom