• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Scorpio supports FreeSync and next-gen HDMI

Justinh

I guess I'll get a second Freesync 4K monitor just to play console games on now. My PC monitor is GSYNC and only 1080p. Doesn't seem to be any with HDR though. Hopefully some will be out soon for not too extravagant prices.

d00d3n

This will be an epic feature when I play all those Xbox exclusives that I can't play with variable refresh on my PC!
Please don't ban me :(

gamz

Phil Spencer‏
Verified account
 @XboxP3 3m
Replying to @digitalfoundry

Have to work with TV companies to get support for VRR but the results of on gameplay feel great. We want VRR on TVs.

Cleve

Absolutely huge news, and a game changer

Except it's not supported by and TVs and freesync over HDMI isn't nearly as common as freesync over DP.

It's good news, and this is really the feature I'd love to see in tvs more than anything, but it's no game changer yet.

Hoo-doo

Banned
In other words, "how dare you get excited over the next Xbox, even though it is going to kick the shit out of any console ever released."

The Microsoft hate is so 2013. Get over it, fellas.

Nobody should be told to be less excited, obviously.

But it's not wrong to give some extra clarification on what it means for end users right now, or at launch. The impact of this feature at launch will be minimal, if any.
Maybe in 2018 we'll see some proper implementation of VRR in the latest TV models. Maybe it'll be early 2019, there's no consensus yet.
But Freesync is royalty-free and has zero licensing costs to implement, and HDMI 2.1 is just the natural evolution of things. That doesn't mean it won't have great potential in the future though.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
holy_shit_keegan_michael_key.gif

My only concern regarding FreeSync in general is I'm worried it won't have mass market TV adoption.

Not exactly an easy sell compared to the likes of 4K/HDR given that it's primarily a gaming feature.

RyudBoy

Big news. Glad to see it's confirmed.

My only gripe is that Scorpio won't have a display port and it won't be compatible with current FreeSync monitors that are available.

I wonder if it will still work with monitors that have an HDMI 2.0 input? I'm just talking about the refresh rate tech, don't care about 4K/HDR.

Justinh

I don't even know if a monitor with these specs exist:

- 3840x2160 resolution
- HDMI 2.0 with FreeSync
- HDR

There are monitors on Amazon but they don't have HDR. I'm tempted to get one anyways come payday because they're so cheap (<350 dollars for 4K Freesync HDMI 2)

I have to apologize to my PS4 Pro, but I'm not getting a 4k monitor until this shit all shakes out and I'm set for FreeSync on my Scorpio. Killer feature. I'm just kind of sad that neither console works well with my 1440p GSync PC monitor. But consoles work well enough on the side on a 1080p for now I guess.

My only concern regarding FreeSync in general is I'm worried it won't have mass market TV adoption.

Not exactly an easy sell compared to the likes of 4K/HDR given that it's primarily a gaming feature.

Your can rest easy, it won't be called freesync but it will be a mass market adoption for:

HDMI Game Mode VRR

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Phil Spencer&#8207;
Verified account
 @XboxP3 3m
Replying to @digitalfoundry

Have to work with TV companies to get support for VRR but the results of on gameplay feel great. We want VRR on TVs.
Bunch of damn snails I tell you, the lot of these TV manufacturers. God damnit.

Bought an OLED LG B6 a month ago as a middle-step fully aware that HDMI 2.1 is incoming and will need a couple of years to mature.
Easily the best route to go for now till this matures. B6 OLEDs stay winning.

Theonik

I remember some where saying early 2019 for TVs. Hope they will be proven wrong though cause fuck that long wait. I'm thinking by mid 2018 is when we'll see TVs with HDMI 2.1.
The EARLIEST you will see these displays is the 2018 line of displays the standard was not ready in time for this year and still hardware is still under development. If you look at the turnaround for HDMI 2.0 you will kinda appreciate the complexity of supporting the new standard. In practice I'd be sceptical about even 2018 displays supporting the complete set of HDMI 2.1 features much less well.

This will be an epic feature when I play all those Xbox exclusives that I can't play with variable refresh on my PC!
Please don't ban me :(
Joke's on you, W10 store exclusives!

mieumieu

Probably already been asked but

* is variable refresh rate a mandate in HDMI 2.1?
* Does that mean I should hold off buying a new TV?

Hopefully they could do it in a better state than 360, but for the games that worked best on that console, it was absolutely great and the games looked better than on Xbox OG by far

I honestly can't see how they could have made it better than the way they did on 360. The only caveat of their implementation is not having the entire library available at once, but honestly I'd trade that with the games feeling native and supporting the new features they put out.

It's probably why the feature still have high usage, because of how these games feel almost like regular xbone games.

Your can rest easy, it won't be called freesync but it will be a mass market adoption for:

HDMI Game Mode VRR

TV manufacturers can barely get their shit together for a software-based game mode and this will require additional hardware. I think we'll have to wait a while. Would like to be wrong.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Quick list of current Samsung monitors that support this (over HDMI), but will probably be much cheaper by the time it comes out...

Samsung 21.5" - $160

Samsung 24" - $199

27" Samsung 27" - $297

Samsung 34" - $820 (bit of a price jump, lol)

I'm sure their are others, like Acer and cheaper options...but I'm googled out. haha

Three of those are 1080p, and the last one is a 21:9 ultrawide 3440 x 1440. How does 1080p in 16:9 upscale on that screen?

Love the look of that last one though.

mcrommert

Banned
I thought HMDI monitors with freesync and 4K and HDMI wont exist either as the HDMI 2.1 is not out yet...

So would only work with a freesync 1080p monitor with HDMI ?

I think you are correct... So this is either a 1080p only thing for now... Or the HDmi port supports dual mode (will output dp signL)

Though I have only seen dual mode for dp (dp to dp or dp to hdmi)

molnizzle

Absolutely huge news, and a game changer

For real.

I'm actually considering going with Scorpio over upgrading my GPU.

Yes.

Yes, if you can. Just keep in mind that it'll be at least a year until HDMI 2.1 sets are actually available for purchase.

gamz

TV manufacturers can barely get their shit together for a software-based game mode and this will require additional hardware. I think we'll have to wait a while. Would like to be wrong.

But one of the manufactures will want to be the first. I bet when MS does reveal the Beast one of the big ones will announce a TV that supports it. Esp after Phil's tweet.

DavidDesu

Nice! More for me that this means PS5 absolutely must follow and that this Free Sync thing might and should become popular in future TVs. My new TV purchase gets pushed back yet again lol.

Ricker

I really need to get a HDR 4K set by the end of the year to go with the Pro and the Scorpio,this will also mean a new A/V Receiver as well and probably speakers lol...going to be expensive but hey...looking at the new 55 inch Sony's for October/November.(XBR-55X930E).

Neoxon

Nice! More for me that this means PS5 absolutely must follow and that this Free Sync thing might and should become popular in future TVs. My new TV purchase gets pushed back yet again lol.
The problem is that the PS5 may not be a thing for a while, especially with these mid-gem iterative systems.

shandy706

Three of those are 1080p, and the last one is a 21:9 ultrawide 3440 x 1440. How does 1080p in 16:9 upscale on that screen?

Love the look of that last one though.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure HDMI/4k/Freesync/HDR doesn't exist yet, haha. Should get great down-sampling on those 1080ps, :).

I'll wait.

Cleve

Quick list of current Samsung monitors that support this (over HDMI), but will probably be much cheaper by the time it comes out...

I'm sure their are others, like Acer and cheaper options...but I'm googled out. haha

None of those are 4k, or have hdr. That's the rub. Freesync is definitely a great thing, but I can't see it as appealing to anyone other than those who already have a freesync PC display they're looking to hook up to it. I hope it does put the idea of getting vrr in to more sets in the future though. I'd love for it to be a standard next cycle.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I honestly can't see how they could have made it better than the way they did on 360. The only caveat of their implementation is not having the entire library available at once, but honestly I'd trade that with the games feeling native and supporting the new features they put out.

It's probably why the feature still have high usage, because of how these games feel almost like regular xbone games.

360 had a tons of Xbox 1 games unsupported and many of those that were supported had bugs and slowdown. Can't even play Halo CE because it slows down to a uncomfortable level in every engagement. Especially silent cartographer, its unplayable

Theonik

* No, it's not
* It depends. You will always have something better coming out. When you buy a TV depends on your personal circumstances.

Oh good call, lol.

Guess I won't get this monitor then.
You will find that to be the case with most of these displays. It's not part of the standard so there was little value in adding it to displays especially since it adds cost.

ironcreed

Banned
Nobody should be told to be less excited, obviously.

But it's not wrong to give some extra clarification on what it means for end users right now, or at launch. The impact of this feature at launch will be minimal, if any.
Maybe in 2018 we'll see some proper implementation of VRR in the latest TV models. Maybe it'll be early 2019, there's no consensus yet.
But Freesync is royalty-free and has zero licensing costs to implement, and HDMI 2.1 is just the natural evolution of things. That doesn't mean it won't have great potential in the future though.

Obviously. But it's a great thing that they thought far enough ahead to include it, while also keeping everyone covered now. Even those of us on 1080p sets. I trust that they have their hand on the pulse of these things and planned accordingly. The folks who designed this system know their stuff.

sangreal

None of those are 4k, or have hdr. That's the rub. Freesync is definitely a great thing, but I can't see it as appealing to anyone other than those who already have a freesync display they're looking to hook up to it. I hope it does put the idea of getting vrr in to more sets in the future though. I'd love for it to be a standard next cycle.

HDR support was only added in freesync2 and I don't think any displays support it yet? It was just announced in January

(per the article, scorpio does though)

Kaako

Felium Defensor
The EARLIEST you will see these displays is the 2018 line of displays the standard was not ready in time for this year and still hardware is still under development. If you look at the turnaround for HDMI 2.0 you will kinda appreciate the complexity of supporting the new standard. In practice I'd be sceptical about even 2018 displays supporting the complete set of HDMI 2.1 features much less well.
I hear you on this. I hope they let em fully mature and bring full feature complete HDMI 2.1 HDTVs/monitors right off the bat. And let it be no later than mid 2018 please.

I really hope your right bro :)
Hammer the official xbox twitter/forum with this specific request. Get numbers behind you and hammer in drones. Asap.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Yeah, I'm pretty sure HDMI/4k/Freesync/HDR doesn't exist yet, haha. Should get great down-sampling on those 1080ps, :).

I'll wait.

I figure it's a bit of a waste to connect Scorpio to a 1080p screen just for freesync when it means you're losing out on HDR and 4K resolution in the process.

I think waiting until the end of the year is the best bet.

Top Bottom