• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Protests happening in Minneapolis and Baton Rouge right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because MLK said it doesn't make it gospel. He wasn't infallible.

I completely disagree with shutting down roadways. As both a parent and sufferer of an anxiety disorder, I would have a very difficult time sitting idle in my car if I was attempting to reach my child. It's not just about medical emergencies.

We're not talking about forcing people to hear and see you. We're talking about restricting someone's movement. And I think that's wrong. And I think it's counter productive as it primarily angers people when you restrict their movement, and then you become the focus of their anger. It's antagonistic. Not smart. Not how you get people to hear you.

Talk to your legislators about changing the laws around police brutality then. Or join your local BLM chapter to give your input on changing up the strategy. People aren't out there to annoy you, they're out there because they have to spend everyday afraid for the lives of themselves and their kids. People have been playing ball for decades and they continue to play ball even while the streets are full. Meeting with the right people, shaking the right hands and voting. Yet parents still have to teach their kids not to put their complete trust in officers lest they lose their lives. It might sound unfeeling but that's the clash between two people worried about their own children and their own mental health.

People will just vote to make blocking roadways a more serious crime.

And people will continue to get on the streets and yell for justice. That's not gonna stop a race who's been down this exact same road before.

Boke1879

I see we are at that point of the thread where people discuss if blocking roadways is "good" for the protest.

Well it's a damn shame that we still even NEED to protest something that has been going on for decades. A protest isn't supposed to be comfortable to anyone. It's for visibility. If you are more concerned with a roadway being blocked that'll most likely be cleared out over the course of several hours.

At the end of the day is a minor inconvenience. What's been happening to unarmed black men for decades is a national tragedy. If you're tired of these protest. Call you local and state governments and ask them to do something about the policing.

Vice

I completely disagree with shutting down roadways. As both a parent and sufferer of an anxiety disorder, I would have a very difficult time sitting idle in my car if I was attempting to reach my child. It's not just about medical emergencies.

We're not talking about forcing people to hear and see you. We're talking about restricting someone's movement. And I think that's wrong. And I think it's counter productive as it primarily angers people when you restrict their movement, and then you become the focus of their anger. It's antagonistic. Not smart. Not how you get people to hear you.
Protesting the "right" way won't get any attention. Making some people worry and panic to get attention to your families getting killed is worth it. Philip Castile and Alton Sterling had families too, too bad no one did something about police brutality before they ran into them.

Are you really hoping people in a cop murder thread will convince black people to stop doing this because you can't get to your child? That's the persuasive argument you want to present?

Mr. X

Getting shot by the police restricts movement, just saying. Can't get to your child when you're dead because the cop thought you were pulling a gun you didn't have when he asked you for your license.

Daft Punk

Banned
Protests also happening in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. Protesters shutting down streets and stuff. This is getting big now. Hopefully change comes about.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Mike ‏@thedecider99

Louisiana has no money for schools and children's services but #BatonRouge has a small army.

uU7taGK.jpg

hokahey

Protesting the "right" way won't get any attention. Making some people worry and panic to get attention to your families getting killed is worth it. Philip Castile and Alton Sterling had families too, too bad no one did something about police brutality before they ran into them.

This is poor logic. Making people experience something unpleasant because you're angry someone else had to experience something (far more) unpleasant is not an appropriate/effective way to raise awareness and enlist the support of moderates, whose support is necessary.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
This is poor logic. Making people experience something unpleasant because you're angry someone else had to experience something (far more) unpleasant is not an appropriate/effective way to raise awareness and enlist the support of moderates, whose support is necessary.

Actually it is. As the Civil Rights movement showed.

Plumbob

Getting shot by the police restricts movement, just saying. Can't get to your child when you're dead because the cop thought you were pulling a gun you didn't have when he asked you for your license.

Two wrongs?

Does blocking a highway create empathy or discord?

Vice

It seems to have worked for Ghandi, MLK, the Native American movement, the UFW and countless other though.

Boke1879

This is false and the Civil Rights movement showed this.

You're pretty much saying you're ok with a protest as long as it isn't disruptive and doesn't disturb the status quo. Protests in this country by nature are disruptive and pretty much the main way anyone has been "heard".

hokahey

Are you really hoping people in a cop murder thread will convince black people to stop doing this because you can't get to your child? That's the persuasive argument you want to present?

Stop black people? Excuse me sir, but all races are part of this movement and protest. Including myself to some degree. I don't hit the streets, but I spend a lot of time engaged in dialogue with people doing what I can to educate and enlighten. Scoff if you will, but I believe it's an important part of this.

And yes, preventing me from ensuring my child is safe does nothing to further enlighten or enlist me or anyone else. It simply frustrates and angers. Not effective.

If you're shutting down a Trump rally or KKK meeting, yes. But restricting the movement of the larger public is wrong.

Two wrongs?

Does blocking a highway create empathy or discord?

The goal isn't to get empathy. The goal is to make people in power recognize that until they fix this shit, we're gonna make shit difficult because we're tired of waiting. If you get angry at the protesters for this by all means, do what you want. If you're gonna leave the cause, they now have zero reason to care about you anyway.

Actually it is, as history has shown multiple times.

If you weren't already supporting them for such an obvious goal, why would you be worth the effort now? And if this is what makes you rescind your support, were you ever actually on their side in the first place? Their eyes aren't just set on citizens but on politicians, reporters and the world at large. This is a demonstration not just some plea for help. And even so, they still get people to come to them despite their road blocking so it's not like they're hemorrhaging members. People know the name Black Lives Matter. Awareness is already built and continues to build. Any quieter and they could easily be silenced.

marrec

Banned
"You know guys, I was on the fence about black equality and justice for extrajudicial killings of black men and women across our nation... until they blocked a road!"

Stop black people? Excuse me sir, but all races are part of this movement and protest. Including myself to some degree. I don't hit the streets, but I spend a lot of time engaged in dialogue with people doing what I can to educate and enlighten. Scoff if you will, but I believe it's an important part of this.

And yes, preventing me from ensuring my child is safe does nothing to further enlighten or enlist me or anyone else. It simply frustrates and angers. Not effective.

If you're shutting down a Trump rally or KKK meeting, yes. But restricting the movement of the larger public is wrong.
I said we'd talk to black people because you're expressing your complaint here rather than contacting the people in charge of the protest that inconvenienced you, so I assume you're hoping we'll do it.

hokahey

Actually it is. As the Civil Rights movement showed.

The civil rights movement wasn't strictly or even primarily about this type of protesting. Shutting down a highway or burning people's businesses is not the same as refusing to give up a bus seat. Those were different times, and it was very simple acts of civil disobedience that brought about the movement, and it was the unification of all brothers and sisters in the movement for equality that brought about real change.

The civil rights movement wasn't strictly or even primarily about this type of protesting. Shutting down a highway or burning people's businesses is not the same as refusing to give up a bus seat. Those were different times, and it was very simple acts of civil disobedience that brought about the movement, and it was the unification of all brothers and sisters in the movement for equality that brought about real change.
What acts are you referencing?

Vice

The bus boycotts worked because they caused finacial damge to the city. Sit-ins distrupted business. Like it wasn't as peaceful, quiet or non-invasive as it's typically shown.

hokahey

I said we'd talk to black people because you're expressing your complaint here rather than contacting the people in charge of the protest that inconvenienced you, so I assume you're hoping we'll do it.

I'm just engaging in conversation here and expressing an opinion. You're not being very rational.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds

giving up a bus seat was not the only protest.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The civil rights movement wasn't strictly or even primarily about this type of protesting. Shutting down a highway or burning people's businesses is not the same as refusing to give up a bus seat.

Read a history book lol.

marrec

Banned
giving up a bus seat was not the only protest.

It's an acceptable form of protest in 2016 because overt racism is seen as distasteful now, while institutional and insidious racism is seen as the norm. There are no busses to occupy in this new system of widespread silent injustice.

You mean unlike the march from Selma to Montgomery? Or restaurant sit ins? I assume those owners had children to pick up as well. And BLM isn't singly about highway blocking. There's a lot of aspects to BLM that too many people are blind to just because of hang ups on road blocking.

I'm just engaging in conversation here and expressing an opinion. You're not being very rational.
Guy, you came in here to say MLK isn't infallible, that black people could possibly make you late to pick up your child, and they should stop because the protests they did long ago were more palatable to you.

It was exactly this type. You know the bus was stopped and police had to come and arrest Parks right? Bus boycott put people out of jobs. Sit ins disputed businesses, marches shut down roads etc etc.

hokahey

The bus boycotts worked because they caused finacial damge to the city. Sit-ins distrupted business. Like it wasn't as peaceful, quiet or non-invasive as it's typically shown.

Sure, but they also weren't frequently standing in the middle of highways. As you mentioned, the bus boycott was effective.

Sit-ins disrupted discriminatory businesses.

Indiscriminately restricting the movement of large swaths of potentially sympathetic individuals seems obviously counter productive to me.

Ms.Galaxy

The history of the civil rights movement is not your strong front, is it. Sit ins, marches, riots, and these types of protests were all big parts of the civil rights movement and I can assure that they caused a lot of disruptions to the economy and infrastructures. It worked, and as we see now, they continue to work.

that first one... "riot in memphis" = people calmly walking down the street? smh

What in the fuck. This is horrifying. Baton Rouge is a fucking mess.

Glad to see these protests happening, and I hope they continue to grow. And I really hope there's a serious investigation into BR PD/Louisiana state police, because seriously what. the. fuck.

hokahey

Guy, you came in here to say MLK isn't infallible, that black people could possibly make you late to pick up your child, and they should stop because the protests they did long ago were more palatable to you.

Pal, you're reading what you want to read and being angry at anything that may not sound exactly like what you want to hear. You're the type that hurts movements because you can't engage in conversation, recognize sympathetic souls, and shout down anyone that disagrees with your methods. You're also putting words in my mouth.

Vice

Sure, but they also weren't frequently standing in the middle of highways. As you mentioned, the bus boycott was effective.

Sit-ins disrupted discriminatory businesses.

Indiscriminately restricting the movement of large swaths of potentially sympathetic individuals seems obviously counter productive to me.
The boycotts ruined the livelihoods of many people in the city directly. Indirecty it ruined peoples ability to get to work and pick up their kids.
Sit-in made thing bad for innocent customers who just wanted a meal.

And marches shutdown whole roads and towns all the time in the Civil Rights movement.

You have to be willing to agitate decent people to get attention.the disruptive nature is the very reason it worked so well.

Pal, you're reading what you want to read and being angry at anything that may not sound exactly like what you want to hear. You're the type that hurts movements because you can't engage in conversation, recognize sympathetic souls, and shout down anyone that disagrees with your methods. You're also putting words in my mouth.

Lol. I don't think anyone has issue with opposing viewpoints but you're literally white washing civil rights.

5 cops are dead and these losers still haven't had their fill? Disgusting.

Did BLM kill those cops or not? Are they killing cops now or not? You should be asking when the law enforcement and legislators will have their fill of killing black people and getting away with it because if it's a numbers game you plan to play, you've already lost

I haven't got to watch my local news today, but I thought state police was handling the protests not BRPD, or not strictly BRPD.

Ms.Galaxy

5 cops are dead and these losers still haven't had their fill? Disgusting.

Thousands of innocent black lives are dead because of cops and institutionalized racism, and many more are being killed every day.

Seriously, those five cops' deaths continue to show me the reality of America. Hundreds of innocent black lives taken by the cops, no one bats an eye, 5 white cops, BLM are disgusting/terrorists/a disgrace.

Also, if I recall, the shooter wasn't part of BLM, I believe he hated the peaceful way they're doing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom