• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Paddle Keys: Triangle, Square, Circle, and Perp-Lines

I remember my first thought when I played a Playstation was "How stupid why aren't there letters how am I supposed to know what button to press?"

And the button is cross button.

Didn't take me long to get used to the buttons either direction and I can usually switch between them fairly easily.

And it will forever be X...who says cross? :p

Eggbok

"gif", with a hard g.

You know, the right way.

Raven-Smirk-GIF.gif

I say X as in the letter but I figure it's meant to be cross because that's what the Japanese would say. One of the first Playstation games I ever played had QTEs (I held out until about 2011 or so) and I found it very frustrating. I always got circle and square mixed up.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
When PC games ask me to press buttons according to the ABXY or whatever it is system, I have NO idea what it's talking about. The only way I have it kinda down now is that yellow is up, red is right, green is left, and blue is down I think? I don't even know.

Ask me about triangle, square, ecks, and circle though? Know them by heart, know their colors by heart too.

popyea

Press ecks sound nicer to me then Press cross.

I don't think people are getting angry enough though. Obviously there can be only one way.

MormaPope

Banned
It is a cross, but you need god in your life if you say to other people "Yeah, jump is the cross button." Adjusting to controllers is easy peasy, but Sony's controllers using shapes instead of letters screams of being different for the sake of being different. I imagine during the PS1 days the controller designers said "fuck it, everybody does those random ass letters, lets use shapes motherfuckers."

Bsigg12

When PC games ask me to press buttons according to the ABXY or whatever it is system, I have NO idea what it's talking about. The only way I have it kinda down now is that yellow is up, red is right, green is left, and blue is down I think? I don't even know.

Ask me about triangle, square, ecks, and circle though? Know them by heart, know their colors by heart too.

A is green (down) b is red (right) x is blue (left) and y is yellow (up).

I don't remember ever having a hard time with PS controls.

The Wii remote + Nunchuck combo is the only one that ever gave me trouble, and it took me a long time for it to become second nature for me.

N64 was easy, Xbox is easy, Gamecube is easy except for the Z button at first.

Playstation face buttons were easy to learn and master even as a kid, it all kind of just made sense and it's been the same layout for every system.

Oreoleo

Yeah it's funny. Since Nintendo and MS can't seem to agree on where ABXY should be, I find myself referring to the buttons as square/circle/r1 etc even when not using or referring to a PS controller just to erase any confusion.

PS you got green and blue reversed ;)

Dugna

Best thing to do with any controller with any game is to not give any craps what the controller says, just experiment and find out how to play the game without looking at it. Then you have no problems.

Also every single game tutorial says "ecks" for X on playstation platforms.

Abylim

I've always called it X, but I can see how some would say cross.

Also, always pronounced gif with a hard G, didnt know there was a different way!

lol, do people actually call it "cross?" Never, in any game, has the game told the player to press the "cross" button. In any and all interviews I've ever seen, I have yet to ever hear anyone from Sony or any developer refer to it as the "cross" button either.

Its eks, not cross.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
I've never had a problem honestly. And I'll forever associate those things with videogames. It's so iconic. That was genius from sony.

MormaPope

Banned

A, B, X, and Y has been around since the SNES era. The genesis controller used letters, every controller uses letters or numbers besides Sony controllers.

Step

I still hate the fact that X is on the big 3 controllers but it is not in the same place for any of them, every time playing local with someone and they ask me how to do something it always ends up: "It's easy just press X , I mean on that side, no wait is it A here? oh no wait this is this console it is there, just let me get over there and press it with my finger".

CLBridges

Cross-Men are my favourite superheroes, they were formed by Professor Crossavier.

It was easier getting adjusted to colour coded shapes than just the lettering of the SNES before it. Parappa being one of the first games I had on the console certainly helped ingrain positioning.

This made me laugh harder than I probably should. But, yes, I call it the X button. Never heard anyone say the Cross button.

McLovin

hmm I say X, not cross. I think its better because its shorter. but now I'm confused about the circle. Should i say circle, or O like the letter... what about zero?! o.o

Imru’ al-Qays;118111460 said:
It was and still is an America-specific phenomenon. In Japan O still represents OK and X represents cancel.

So was there a reason in America, they said.. "wait a minute, X should be OK now"

i mean.. why? up until that point, even nintendo had the button on the right as the OK button.

BouncyFrag

I got a ps3 earlier this year as my first ever foray with the ps brand and jumped in head first with God of War 2 HD. I went in realizing that there could be some QTE inspired rage, and there was. I just kept mumbling 'x is on the bottom, x is on the bottom, etc.' since I've been playing on xbox for years. I actually beat GoW Ascension last night and handled the QTEs like a boss but I do think they weren't as challenging as earlier games in the series.

mantrakid

It's GIF, not JIF.

Just because the inventor said it's pronounced JIF doesn't mean it's correct. You wouldn't pronounce GIRL; JIRL.
or
GUY;
JUY

Ridiculous.

It's like if Microsoft came out and said "It's actually Zzzbox".

germ
gem
germinate
giant
ginger
generate
gist
gentle
gigantic
ginseng
giraffe

regardless, yeah fuck the creator it definitely is GIF with a hard G. it's him and the 10 people who say JIF vs everyone else.

Top Bottom