• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS VITA TV announced (~$100, Vita set top box - as in it has no screen - for TVs)

Guymelef

PlayStation®4 (PS4™) remote play
As with PS Vita, PS Vita TV will also support PS4™ remote play and Wireless Controller
(DUALSHOCK®4) through future system software update*4
. This will allow users to
enjoy most of the PS4™ games on PS Vita TV as if they are playing it on the PS4™
system.

That's really really cool.

A micro console is smart as hell. I have been waiting for one of the big 3 to make one.

Cheap competitor to streaming boxes. Boosts sales of classic games. Might help vita software sale.

Wonder if they will have something to fix the lack of touch screens though.

Still its a smart move and a bit funny since I said a week ago Nintendo should do one for the Virtual console.

nampad

I knew it since House mentioned a living room Vita experience in February! Somehow I had a feeling it would be announced today, I should get a lottery ticket :)

Sony needed a cheaper TV box, this makes sense. Hope this means we will get better Vita support from streaming services and MKV support.

Strange that they include the DS3. It doesn't have any touch interface, how will they emulate the touchscreen and rear touch?

edit:

https://twitter.com/kobunheat/status/376980522318061568https://twitter.com/kobunheat/status/376980522318061568

"Press release says that not all PS Vita titles will be playable on PS Vita TV, because it doesn't have a touch screen etc."

Ugh...so stupid. Why do they have to half-ass this aagain? For sure, many games will be patched for PS Vita TV. Hope this doesn't mean we developers won't try to inclusde the Vita inputs anymore. I like the gimmicks and used in a clever way they can offer a new experience.

thuway

It's pretty much my new PS4 streamer. If it gets Gaikai and will allow me to play PS3 on ANY device, than I am SO in.

Zoe

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

Somebody pleeeeeeaaaaaaaase buy this day 1 and tell me whether Joysound Karaoke is IP blocked.

Dragon

Banned
Sony doesn't care how many vita's are sold. Hardware doesn't sell for a profit.

It is half the price of a Vita. Could do pretty good, considering it plays PSP, PSONE and Vita games.

It also basically doubles as a ps4 console because you can use remote play with it.

CamHostage

Repurposed from the main event thread...

Dat Vita TV...

So I'm surprised they're packing it with a DS3 controller. How is it gonna work with touchscreen stuff on Vita games? I'd have figured a DS4 would be a more sensible choice.

Price is the obvious answer, except that I don't know that I buy that, the DualShock 3 is still way costly (though the markup is always high, and with the death of on-the-couch multiplayer as well as the exclusion of third-party controller licensees there's been no call to drop the price) and there aren't a lot more components in DS4 far as I know that DS3 doesn't have (similar gyros, likely similar BT chip, added touchpad, probably same battery, mostly refinements after that.) They're saving a few bucks putting the old controller in the box, but not that much by my wholly-guessed calculations, and in the long run...

The Vita TV would have been a much more viable product with a controller that could handle the vast majority of titles made for it, now I'm worried that not only will Vita TV exclude some key Vita games, it could hold back new Vita games (not that everybody loves rubbing to uncover the map...) that try to use all the features of Vita but that need to be mindful of both platforms it'll be sold on.

satam55

Banned
Remember earlier in the year, the rumors of disk-less $99 Xbox360 that was suppose to compete with AppleTV & Roku? Sony just beat MS to it.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Nintendo: "Play console games on a screen in your hand instead of on your TV."

Sony: "Play handheld games on your TV instead of on a screen in your hand."

Alienous

It can play Uncharted, Killzone, Gravity Rush ...

and it really feels like the resuscitation the Vita platform needed.

Tons of games, ladies and gentlemen. Sony know exactly what they are doing. If they can advertise this, it will sell insane numbers.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Some places and people are reporting you still need a Vita to be able to use it? I don't really see the point if this is just an expensive pass-through box they are selling instead of a cable + system update.

This is the single smartest decision that Sony has made with the Vita. This is cheap and and allows Vita games to be played on TV, which is something that people have been asking for since it was released.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I'll be honest, I don't get it.
Needs more details.

It's basically a Vita console?
How do the touch/gyro/camera gimmicks work?
If they don't how do the games deal with it?
Can you just use it as a Vita, down to cartridges?
Can you connect a Vita to it and use it as a restreamer?
I just... it's so baffling.

I have to be wrong since it sounds insane but what I got from the video was that it basically allows you to play your PS4 on any TV (with an internet connection). o_O

Bsigg12

Why does it not come with a DS4? Maybe since its only confirmed for Japan for this year, they are bundling it with a DS3 but I guess they came up with an interface to mimicked the touch capabilities? I don't know what's going on anymore.

Prompto

Banned
Never considered getting a vita due to the price but I'll probably buy this if it is indeed around $100. Also being able to play PS4 on another tv is sweet as well.

satam55

Banned
Remember earlier in the year, the rumors of disk-less $99 Xbox360 that was suppose to compete with AppleTV & Roku? Sony just beat MS to it.

Top Bottom