• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS VITA TV announced (~$100, Vita set top box - as in it has no screen - for TVs)

RedAssedApe

Banned
It has to have Dualshock 4 support, right?

I mean, how the fuck is it going to remote play PS4 games?

Well DS3 because this thing is out in Japan before PS4 is out. I'm assuming DS4 compatibility will be coming. Did they announce release for other regions?

AniHawk

the price is great, but tearaway would be impossible to play on this thing.

from sony's standpoint, this is kinda like a psp go, i imagine: an experiment to see if this will be worth pursuing in the next generation (meaning not-ps4/vita).

Dang0

As a critic of how Sony's been handling Vita, I have to admit this isn't a bad move. Only thing I'm worried about is how you handle touchscreen functions, lots of Vita games seem to have touchscreen functions as integral features.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think it's a great idea.

They turned an outmoded device into a modern one.

They're going to see a lot of competition in this space with Amazon and Google entering, but in that arena they do have a lot of content already in comparison.

~~Hasan~~

this is an awesome device. the idea to stream ps4 games to another TV is really nice thing " assuming there is no lag"

but it made me wonder about the ability to play ps vita games, i mean what is the point of owning a vita right now aside from its portablity ?

duckroll

This is a huge, huge game changer. Sony single-handedly saved the Vita's future while also providing consumers with an affordable alternative to getting the games on Vita in the way people seem to prefer it. Really impressive surprise announcement.

Vita is PSP backwards compatible right?

Vita TV supports any PS1 and PSP game which the Vita can already play on PSN.

Edgeward

Fixed the URL for you. :p

Also, for reals, the Vita TV needs to be bundled with a Dual Shock 4. At least then we could use the touchpad for kinda-sorta-good-enough touch screen functionality. :-\

Whoops got hasty in hitting my paste macro key there. Fixed it. Thanks.

Doesn't matter if it takes away any Vita sales, as long as the install base just increases so we get more games. And more localised games as well.

What resolution does the second tv show though? If it allows you to play PS4 games on a second TV but at the PSP resolution that could be a issue.

megalowho

First impression is the design is super hot. Sleek and compact. I don't think I need this, but seems like a neat device. Sony not giving up on Vita without a fight.

If this thing is successful and sells a lot (which seems possible), I guess a lot of stuff will get developed for the Vita.

Feels good to own a Vita right now...

Thank you, based Sony...

starmud

if you needed anymore proof that the dedicated video game market is a mess, no one really has any clue where to go with any device or delivery.

build and try every model possible. which is a stark contrast to nintey, who is lost between two divided houses; and MS, who has a fairly singular/narrow vision.

Should be on OP that it also works as a PS4 extender. Leave PS4 in the living room, take the Vita box to your bedroom and play PS4 from there.

ckohler

The fact that I can take this over to a friend's house, plug it into their TV and play my PS4 there, is pretty boss.

This is a huge, huge game changer. Sony single-handedly saved the Vita's future while also providing consumers with an affordable alternative to getting the games on Vita in the way people seem to prefer it. Really impressive surprise announcement.

There are two PSVitaTV threads growing at once, could you please lock one to funnel people into a single thread? Or maybe a merge.. thanks.

Thoraxes

I am going to buy one of these.

Great for all my current Vita games, great for when I wanna bring a PS4 to a friend's house, just really awesome device all around.

Top Bottom