• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS VITA TV announced (~$100, Vita set top box - as in it has no screen - for TVs)

Some more interviews coming out:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/11/47...caps-the-ps-vita-tv-and-why-the-ps4-is-coming

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20130912/302940/

This thing is tiny:

1.jpg

Also, pretty interesting:

From the second article, "The company is planning to sell the PS Vita TV in China, South Korea, etc, but not in the US and European market at this point."

ad-huge-mistake.jpg

$h@d0w

From the second article, "The company is planning to sell the PS Vita TV in China, South Korea, etc, but not in the US and European market at this point."

Yeah, the PS Vita TV seems like a big play for the Chinese market where Android devices and Smart TVs are doing well at the moment. I'm not sure if they can pierce that market because they are really price conscious there.

Nikodemos

They'd rather have people buy the PS4 first and a Vita TV later, rather than the other way around (which is likely to happen since the Vita TV is cheaper).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Someone tweet yoshida for comment. Maybe they plan to emphasise the remote play part more rather than the vita part if they bring it to the US/Europe? Maybe a rebrand? Maybe waiting until after the PS4 launch window before talking about it? I'd hoped we'd get it by spring next year though.

Damn, I'm guessing it won't work with a US account, then? Now I'm reconsidering whether or not to get one now.

Edit-

They said during the announcement we would be getting it at a later date.

Hmm, guess I might wait before getting one, then.

If they pushed ps2 classic support way more that would run on this, this would be amazing. PS1, PS2, PSP, and Via games on your tv in 1 $100 box and the games could also play on another vita on the go?! Sony don't mess this up.

Nikodemos

If they pushed ps2 classic support way more that would run on this, this would be amazing. PS1, PS2, PSP, and Via games on your tv in 1 $100 box and the games could also play on another vita on the go?! Sony don't mess this up.
Aren't PS2 games terrifyingly difficult to port? i remember reading something about the extremely custom architecture...

DBT85

Did they say North America or Europe explicitly, or did they say rest of the world/other regions, by which they could be referring to the rest of Asia?

The only reason I can see them not brining this to the west is if Remote play and Gaikai are both shit.

The only reason I can see them not brining this to the west is if Remote play and Gaikai are both shit.
I'm looking at it as: they have other offerings for the US market for their ecosystem that will generate them more money. We should hear about them by June 2014.

Just out of curiousity, but how does the Vita stack up against the Wii U spec wise? Because if the Vita is just as powerful, or of similar spec, does that not mean that Sony have not only taken aim at Ouya/Gamestick, but also at Nintendo Wii U?

If everything goes "according to plan", Sony can ultimately come out of this with a double whammy - in that the Vita can really do some serious damage to the 3DS, whilst the Vita TV will end up doing some serious damage to Wii U. And since the Vita and Vita TV aim at different sectors of the market - but use the same PSN marketplace - it can only mean that the Vita market extends itself (via the Slim and the TV) to get even more games that cater for all audiences - to eventually get the kind of library that IOS and Steam enjoy now. The Vita TV can also go up against Apple TV if streaming is to be considered.

I honestly think Sony are pulling out all the stops, and are doing no wrong. I can't think of a single occasion when a company was doing so much right, and had so much going for it in the process. Nintendo had that zen moment during the SNES era, but ever since then, every company has succeeded and failed in different measures.

Sony, for all their faults only a few years ago, are definitely having a winning streak at the moment.

Lesiroth

Just out of curiousity, but how does the Vita stack up against the Wii U spec wise? Because if the Vita is just as powerful, or of similar spec, does that not mean that Sony have not only taken aim at Ouya/Gamestick, but also at Nintendo Wii U?

If everything goes "according to plan", Sony can ultimately come out of this with a double whammy - in that the Vita can really do some serious damage to the 3DS, whilst the Vita TV will end up doing some serious damage to Wii U. And since the Vita and Vita TV aim at different sectors of the market - but use the same PSN marketplace - it can only mean that the Vita market extends itself (via the Slim and the TV) to get even more games that cater for all audiences - to eventually get the kind of library that IOS and Steam enjoy now. The Vita TV can also go up against Apple TV if streaming is to be considered.

I honestly think Sony are pulling out all the stops, and are doing no wrong. I can't think of a single occasion when a company was doing so much right, and had so much going for it in the process. Nintendo had that zen moment during the SNES era, but ever since then, every company has succeeded and failed in different measures.

Sony, for all their faults only a few years ago, are definitely having a winning streak at the moment.

I don't think it's comparable to the Wii U power-wise, as far as I heard the Vita is a PS 2.75 in comparison to the PS3. That and the Wii U doesn't really need anyone killing it at the moment, it's having trouble surviving as it is.

Eusis

maybe they are afraid of market confusion/cannibalization with the PS4.
This really could be it, wouldn't be surprised if this came February just as PS4 lands in Japan.

They have to be planning to bring this to NA/EU eventually unless they scrapped plans literally at the last second though, why would you have a trailer with a bunch of Caucasian people in it, implying a target market, only to not sell in NA/EU at all? Nevermind how we're seeing the likes of Ouya, MadCatz, and seemingly Amazon's android consoles. You'd easily be combining the indie library with more high profile Vita titles if handled right.

Shouta

It's kind of looking that way right now. Gonna feel stupid paying potentially double for it, lol.

I'm hoping Ami-Ami will have it in stock. Definitely want to get it from them because they don't mark stuff up like other importers.

Edit: They're sold out. FUUUU

It should have an english setting should it not?

It should. It's been pretty standard practice to provide region settings on consoles since the PS3 era. Even the PS2 era had it a bit as I recall.

Mako_Drug

well, that's worrisome.

i can't believe they won't release it in USA though.

If they release it without support for streaming services like Amazon Prime, Hulu etc they will get blasted by tech websites and everybody will wholesale disregard the device. They probably need to wait for apps to be developed and for PS4 to have breathing room.

$h@d0w

If they release it without support for streaming services like Amazon Prime, Hulu etc they will get blasted by tech websites and everybody will wholesale disregard the device. They probably need to wait for apps to be developed and for PS4 to have breathing room.

It supports hulu in Japan and Amazon appeared on their E3 services slide:

joOjkNBhqqP0K.jpg

vivftp

A bit OT, but it looks like Sony will launch a new dongle device with Google TV functionality this Sunday. Apparently it not only includes Google TV app access, but also apps found on Bravia TVs. I wonder if this direction they're going will be similar to what they do for Vita TV by integrating apps and services from their TVs and maybe PS3.

sony_bravia_smart_stick_remote.jpg

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/13/4728426/sony-bravia-smart-stick-google-tv

It might be interesting if they could integrate the two devices and offer that VERY sweet remote, but of course that'd make it quite a bit more expensive :(

Tom_Cody

Random blathering:

This $100 price point makes abundantly clear that Smart TVs are going to hit a tipping point very soon. I mean, why not just include the $100 device in their next line of TVs?

It is simply a given that TV will come equipped with well implemented Roku-like features but better-than-Ouya android/iOS implementation for games and apps as well. It just seems like an inevitability that the living-room is going to look like this 2-3 years. TV manufacturers will dictate this even if consumers don't.

I'm only now actually understanding why the XBone is what it is. The future of the living-room is abundantly clear and they are betting that they can sacrifice processing power and price-point-advantage in order to get their foot in the door.

All of this makes me so curious about what Nintendo's next console is going to be. No one has the attitude that Nintendo needs to sell you a console and[/] a TV. As processors become ubiquitous in TVs, why will anyone need to buy the processor from Nintendo? Will they just become an app on these devices like Netflix or Hulu? This evolution is so interesting.

/random blathering

Maxim726X

It'll make it's way over to the US... I wouldn't worry about that. Only question is when.

Random blathering:

This $100 price point makes abundantly clear that Smart TVs are going to hit a tipping point very soon. I mean, why not just include the $100 device in their next line of TVs?

It is simply a given that TV will come equipped with well implemented Roku-like features but better-than-Ouya android/iOS implementation for games and apps as well. It just seems like an inevitability that the living-room is going to look like this 2-3 years. TV manufacturers will dictate this even if consumers don't.

I'm only now actually understanding why the XBone is what it is. The future of the living-room is abundantly clear and they are betting that they can sacrifice processing power and price-point-advantage in order to get their foot in the door.

All of this makes me so curious about what Nintendo's next console is going to be. No one has the attitude that Nintendo needs to sell you a console and[/] a TV. As processors become ubiquitous in TVs, why will anyone need to buy the processor from Nintendo? Will they just become an app on these devices like Netflix or Hulu? This evolution is so interesting.

/random blathering

Actually, that's a fair point. Have to wonder if Sony will just integrate the feature set into future televisions, and make it compatible with the DS3.

It would apply to a niche part of the market, but anything that could differentiate Sony TVs from the rest would be an advantage, no matter how small.

Could you imagine having access to PSN and Gaikai through your TV? I know it would certainly make my next television purchase a lot less stressful.

kvothe

Does anyone have any idea whether this would be possible:
Games that would have split-screen multiplayer only streaming out one of the screens to the Vita TV. So each player can have their own television.

Does anyone have any idea whether this would be possible:
Games that would have split-screen multiplayer only streaming out one of the screens to the Vita TV. So each player can have their own television.

That's a cool use case and while it's gotta be techincally possible, it's never going to happen

Game Guru

Random blathering:

/random blathering

While it might be cheap enough to be included in TVs, that does not mean people would prefer buying new TVs every 2-3 years over buying set top boxes. It would probably be more akin to putting DVD or Blu-Ray Players into televisions, basically more of being just another option to access media. Unlike smartphones and tablets, the television screen does not need to be designed with portability in mind so devices can be plugged into it without worry of needing to unplug to move the screen later.

conman

Sony is playing to their strengths in different markets. Makes sense to me. They don't have an unlimited marketing or production budget, so they have to make some big decisions about what gets launched where and when.

At the end of 2013, the US and Europe get the PS4 and Asia gets the PS Vita TV. Then in 2014, depending on the success of each, they'll start shifting priorities.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sorry, but does this finally confirm that Sony really does not understand handheld gaming?

Yes. The same way it confirmed Nintendo never understood handheld gaming by introducing the Super Game Boy, and then again, years later, with the Game Boy Player.

Except that GB and GBA were successful platforms at the time their TV counterparts were released, and said TV counterparts were compatible with ~99.9 percent of the software for the original platforms.

Meia

So all the import talk has me confused.

If you were to import this, could you play US region games and use memory cards and stuff on it? Cause I kind of don't want to wait for this. Well, I will til it comes back in stock, but you know what I mean...

If you were to import this, could you play US region games and use memory cards and stuff on it? Cause I kind of don't want to wait for this. Well, I will til it comes back in stock, but you know what I mean...

lots of stuff we don't know yet, Sony release a compatibility list, but does that mean that's all the game that can run on Vita TV? I think it's unlikely, that list is probably games that Sony guaranteed will work and playable from start to finish without Vita's touchpad, but if you try running game that's not on the list, my gut feeling is that it will still work, but you'll probbaly have problem playing it due to touch pad function.

also, my guess is Vita will have it's own PSN store that will only show games that are 'compatible' with Vita, to prevent you buying games from VitaTV that you couldn't finish due to needing a touch screen.

now if Vita TV supposed to have it's own VitaTV store, than VitaTV store for US and other region may not be ready, so even if you import Vita TV, you may not be able to go to PSN store from VitaTV. retail Vita game cartridge may still work, and if you already have PSVita, you can probably use the memory card that are already filled with psn games on VitaTV.

again, just my guess. I think you should wait till launch, no doubt people will try login with US region account, and news about games compatibility etc.

gwarm01

I believe the Vita is region free, so you can use all of your US based stuff on it.

Where can I import this baby anyway?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
My hesitation to import is mainly because I'd be stuck with those media services that I might not have access to from the US.

Shouta

Yes. You can unless the game maker puts on some special region locking. Otherwise, if you pick up the physical game, it'll work fine.

However, if you do DD from Japan, you'll need to have an account in that region and a card formatted for it, just like a Vita. I assume that'll be the case anyway.

Top Bottom