• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Classics Emulator Hacked - Plays any PS2 game on any CFW PS3

fallagin

My word, they've been holding out on us!! Sheeeit, they'll probably do the same thing for ps4...

Edit: I wonder if the pcsx2 crew can gleen some useful info out of this to make pcsx2 even better.

This makes me sad. I don't even know where my PS2 has gone too. I know my Laptop runs pcsx2 terrible-- atleast for my standards. But then again the only ps2 games I want to play are FF12 and Kingdom Hearts but square enix is coming out with an HD version of KH.

Hmm I don't know what to do, I'll probably just wait.

They haven't got all BC. Some games are successfully working 100% (so far) in the emulator. Others are not. So don't be pissed they didn't give you something that isn't up to standards.

M$ still offered some BC for users even if it wasn't 100% compatible. Why shouldn't Sony do the same?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
M$ still offered some BC for users even if it wasn't 100% compatible. Why shouldn't Sony do the same?

Because at the time MS actually cared about Xbox 1 BC with updates, Sony was selling a full-BC PS3!

The only difference is that the old software BC carries forward to all new 360s, but the hardware BC does not carry forward to all new PS3s.

Obviously now they could support the disc version of games they are selling on the PSN store. Maybe that is shitty that they don't. But, to be honest, I kind of get it. They developed the emulator so that they could re-sell you Odin Sphere, so if they let you play the disc version of Odin Sphere, they don't recoup the costs on developing the emulator and re-licensing the game.

Speevy

Banned
The number of people who don't grasp how all the fat systems were time bombs is baffling.

No, it has to be Sony reselling La Pucelle Tactics to the 12 PSN users interested.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The number of people who don't grasp how all the fat systems were time bombs is baffling.

They aren't time bombs. They have a defect rate like any machine ever. Tons of them in the wild now, and tons of them will be in the wild years down the line.

While this reeks of bullshit, I'll wait until there is more proof that the emulation is acceptable without modification to be pissed.

While this reeks of bullshit, I'll wait until there is more proof that the emulation is acceptable without modification to be pissed.

It's not BS it's real and April Fools is more than a week away. The emulator really isn't a big deal because most games people still play on the PS2 got HD remasters

VinLAURiA

Banned
Whoa, which models can play PS2? I haven't cared about BC, but I'm curious since this emulator for PS3 seems like a big deal.
The original launch PS3 had an Emotion Engine chip (PS2 processor) in it, so it had full hardware BC with all PS2 games as well as PS1 games. Later systems removed the EE, meaning that while PS1 discs still worked, PS2 discs were useless. Sony claims to have done it to cut costs.

For the Slim and Super-Slim models (and even later "fat" PS3s), PS2 games would have to be ported on a case-by-case basis to a Virtual Console-esque emulator on PSN where you would have to rebuy and download them. Apparently this discovery could possibly mean that the emulator can replace to EE to work with PS2 discs instead of players having to rebuy all their PS2 games. Software BC instead of hardware BC, but it's still BC that Sony had people convinced for years wasn't possible anymore. If we can prove that, this could be a controversy on the level of the PSN fiasco.

baphomet

Petty enough to use "M$", but then asks why Sony would rather sell you the game again other than Microsoft giving you bc. They're different companies. Just because one does something, doesn't mean the other should do the same.

Tizoc

Sorry for asking this again, but do the Fatty, Slim and Grill PS3s all have the ability to run PS2 discs, but they are 'locked' from doing so?

Sony had people convinced for years wasn't possible anymore. If we can prove that, this could be a controversy on the level of the PSN fiasco.

Oh for the love of Christ. Stop being dramatic. Sony's PS3 PS2 software emulation has always been limited and buggy. It's ALL ways worked with a small number of PS2 games. This changes nothing.

VinLAURiA

Banned
Oh for the love of Christ. Stop being dramatic. Sony's PS3 PS2 software emulation has always been limited and buggy. It's ALL ways worked with a small number of PS2 games. This changes nothing.
Bullroar. 360 also needs an emulator to run original Xbox games, but it still let you use the original discs. No reason Sony couldn't have done the same instead of making players re-buy, outside of greed.

Eusis

Because at the time MS actually cared about Xbox 1 BC with updates, Sony was selling a full-BC PS3!

The only difference is that the old software BC carries forward to all new 360s, but the hardware BC does not carry forward to all new PS3s.

Obviously now they could support the disc version of games they are selling on the PSN store. Maybe that is shitty that they don't. But, to be honest, I kind of get it. They developed the emulator so that they could re-sell you Odin Sphere, so if they let you play the disc version of Odin Sphere, they don't recoup the costs on developing the emulator and re-licensing the game.
On the other hand that assume two things:

1. That everyone who wanted Odin Sphere bought it and kept it.

2. That those people who bought it DON'T want a digital version if they can play their physical game on the system.

So it comes off as very cynical, and on my end it doesn't make much of a difference: If I care enough to get digitally I will, and if I don't then I'm not bothering anyway. Would be nice to at least have a list of approved games ala the Xbox and just run the games natively, though I might go to PS2 anyway for 100% reliability.

EDIT: Actually, I do wonder if they'd approach it differently if that IS the intent... yet they were somehow able to keep selling physical copies in stores. At this point they profit regardless, so why not leave disc BC there?

Bullroar. 360 also needs an emulator to run original Xbox games, but it still let you use the original discs.

So what? If Sony has an emulator that barely runs a couple dozen games out of the 1000s of PS2 library why in the every loving fuck would they make it available?

Do you have any ideal the man hours it would take you build a compatability list for their buggy ass emulator?

Sony decided that their resources were better spent elsewhere. And I agree with them.

VinLAURiA

Banned
So what? If Sony has an emulator that barely runs a couple dozen games out of the 1000s of PS2 library why in the every loving fuck would they make it available?

Do you have any ideal the man hours it would take you build a compatability list for their buggy ass emulator?

Sony decided that their resources were better spent elsewhere. And I agree with them.
Because that's just it: it's not just a couple dozen games. If I'm reading the original post correctly with phrases like "any ISO" and "pretty high compatibility", it's possible that we're talking about a larger pool of working PS2 games than you think. If Sony's been holding out on that functionality, that's a colossal prick move.

BasilZero

I only bought games I never got like God Hard. I bought HD collections because they dont look like shit on my tv and have trophies. Its still pretty sleazy if Sony hade a perfect emulator and did not release it.

Yeah I had a feeling they had something like this (along with the fact that you cant transfer PSN games to PS4 in the future or at least for now) and the fact that you would play the game as if it was on a PS2 (non-hd same resolution), which is why I never even bothered to get any games from PSN.

HD collections are a plus though.

Eusis

Because that's just it: it's not just a couple dozen games. If I'm reading the original post correctly with phrases like "any ISO" and "pretty high compatibility", it's possible that we're talking about a larger pool of working PS2 games than you think. If Sony's been holding out on that functionality, that's a colossal prick move.
Yeah, pretty much. It seems likely to me it has almost perfect compatibility with at least half the library, acceptable for most of the rest, and possibly Xbox emulator quality on the small chunk remaining. That absolutely would've been worth it, just give a list of problem games and start selling as many digitally as you can to fund the emulator.

They probably don't want to test every game available for the system to make sure there's no crashing/bricking/major problems. That requires a lot of man power and money with very few positives. By doing only select titles they can make money back and can say they're doing something regarding PS2 BC rather than nothing. Although I do think they should whitelist the PS2 titles already on PSN so people can play their PS2 discs if they own them, assuming there isn't any patches, coding changes, etc applied to the PSN versions to make them work on the PS3 (and not just a generic PS2 emulator running them).

This... is too true.

Also, if you have tekken tag, please try it OP. With my Yurope inferior race BC console it ran like UTTER crap.

Bittercup

Sorry for asking this again, but do the Fatty, Slim and Grill PS3s all have the ability to run PS2 discs, but they are 'locked' from doing so?
I wouldn't say "locked". By itself they are not capable of playing PS2 games but Sony created a software solution for BC but hasn't given access to it. But yes, all those models are capable of running the emulation software.

Reread the OP and take a look at that compatibility list. Is 99% PS2 classics and they list games that have glitches as "playable".

Reread the OP and take a look at that compatibility list. Is 99% PS2 classics and they list games that have glitches as "playable".

That still does not explain why you can't pop your original games in though. Ps2 classic were presumed (or at least i thought so) of having fixes done to be playable.

Eusis

Being newly discovered it'll take awhile to compile a long compatibility list, but no, look at the fucking Xbox emulator. Games there have slowdown, severe audio glitches, and at times can make you wonder how they even got approved, and that's with OFFICIAL support. The PS3's PS2 emulator judging by officially released titles is miles ahead of that, and could work well enough at least with a whitelist, or at least a whitelist of games that WON'T warn you about potential issues.

Pretty disgraceful on Sony's part. You should definitely be able to play PS2 games that are available digitally via disc. I can maybe understand games that have a lot of glitches or whatever, but no excuse for fully functional games.

Erasus

That's all nice and all, but not everyone has an emulation ready PC. People in this thread keep saying "Who cares! Just play PS2 on PCSX2!" and seem to be underestimating the hardware required.

I'm pretty peeved that Sony has the resources to give us all BC, but intentionally chooses not to.

Well, if people are trying it on laptops then yea, its going to suck. Of course. :p

But any desktop with even a dual core and a low end gpu can emulate PS2 games. If you got a desktop in the last 4 years (Core2Quad, Athlon X3, Phenom 2 X4, i3, i5) then you can run it. Though atleast 3 cores is recommended as it uses 3 cores!

Yes I am mad too, I would love to play FFXII/Okami/etc again on the TV but unless this also gets me native 1080p or at least some AA options then eh I dunno.

And I really hope sites will cover this, it is pretty huge to hide a whole, working emulator in the system. AND it seems to work really well with demanding titles like Persona 4 and FFXII. I wish they would release it with a huge compatability warning and they could unlock with fw update or a small file on the psn store.

BTW did they remove it with the latest fw update?

NekoFever

Kinda off topic, but I've always been curious as to whether or not it is possible to take save games that you have on a ps2 memory card, and somehow transfer them onto your PC so that they can be read by the pcsx2 emulator. I'm guessing it's either not possible or a major hassle, but I figured I'd ask anyway.
Very easy if you've got a modded PS2 because you can use an FTP program to copy them directly from the memory card to your computer. Also some models of GameShark allow you to copy saves to and from a computer or USB device. It can be done via the PS3 but is a bit more convoluted and requires the memory card adaptor, which I haven't seen around for years.

N.A

Banned

Of the 58 games not released on PS2 classics that have so far been tested 47 are playable with no noticeable issues, 8 have minor or major issues and 3 are unplayable/crash. (I'm still adding these to the list)

I think it's safe to say over 70% of the PS2 library will be playable without any annoying issues.

Veezy

que?
That's all nice and all, but not everyone has an emulation ready PC. People in this thread keep saying "Who cares! Just play PS2 on PCSX2!" and seem to be underestimating the hardware required.

I'm pretty peeved that Sony has the resources to give us all BC, but intentionally chooses not to.

Because modding a PS3 is an easier process than:

A. Buying a PS2 or
B. Using PCSX2 (which, BTW despite some clamorings stating otherwise, runs fine in action games (that video, note, is from 2009. The emulator has been drasticly improved since then and has daily upgrades constantly in the developer download channel)?

I don't anybody is saying "you dumb if you use your PS3 to emulate". What I'm saying is that it's just easier to get the cash and get a PS2, or download and try out PCSX2, than it is to mod a PS3 and use this.

As to the Sony comment, I'm withholding judgement until more testing is done. If the current emulator can play (from beginning to end, not just run) as many games as the old Sony emulator could, without its existence taking away from any system resources required to run more recent games (don't know if it being there does anything in the back ground, I know UI updates made more RAM available for development), then yeah Sony pulled a dick move.

Then again, Nintendo pulled GC support from Wii. The Xbox emulator on the 360 has some problems with it. The PS3 can still play PS1 games. So, I'm not exactly sure any vitriol should be really aimed in their direction.

Because modding a PS3 is an easier process than:

A. Buying a PS2 or
B. Using PCSX2 (which, BTW despite some clamorings stating otherwise, runs fine in action games (that video, note, is from 2009. The emulator has been drasticly improved since then and has daily upgrades constantly in the developer download channel)?

I don't anybody is saying "you dumb if you use your PS3 to emulate". What I'm saying is that it's just easier to get the cash and get a PS2, or download and try out PCSX2, than it is to mod a PS3 and use this.

I have had a PS2, but its an older phat model that can't even read movie disks or PS1 games anymore. Now that we can't buy new PS2s if ours breaks, BC would be perfect. I've already tried to run games like FFXII, KH1, SH2, on PCSX2 and I can't get them to run stable at all. The fact of the matter is that Sony offered BC when the PS3 launched, which was a very useful feature, and dumped it for no good reason.

If I could play my PS2 games with a wireless controller, HDMI Connection, Smoothing, Infinite Memory Card Storage, and Wifi Online I would be so happy.

I don't understand this; If Capcom has a feature of the game locked away on the disk, everyone complains. But Sony has locked away a feature of their console, and everyone is so quick to defend them.

Grand Prix Challenge: framerate yoyos 15 - 60 fps with a full grid of 22 cars. Playable in time trial mode with the occasional dip.

Onimusha 2: no issues

WRC Rally Evolved: Black screen

WRC 4: Unplayable, the car bounces around at the start of a stage and destroys itself.

All the 60 fps games I've tried so far have had problems.

Veezy

que?
I have had a PS2, but its an older phat model that can't even read movie disks or PS1 games anymore. Now that we can't buy new PS2s if ours breaks, BC would be perfect. I've already tried to run games like FFXII, KH1, SH2, on PCSX2 and I can't get them to run stable at all. The fact of the matter is that Sony offered BC when the PS3 launched, which was a very useful feature, and dumped it for no good reason.

If I could play my PS2 games with a wireless controller, HDMI Connection, Smoothing, Infinite Memory Card Storage, and Wifi Online I would be so happy.

I don't understand this; If Capcom has a feature of the game locked away on the disk, everyone complains. But Sony has locked away a feature of their console, and everyone is so quick to defend them.

The Capcom situation is the Sony situations are two different arguments. One is a company removing a feature from the future design of a console, discontinuing adverting said feature, giving an alternative (albeit a shitty one) to still being able to play those older games on the newer console design, while dropping the price of their console. Capcom created a game with all the content on a disk, charged to access some of that content, while selling the exact same product on a different console with the primarily desired feature (the other characters) unlocked. It's not comparable.

Consoles die. It's inevitable. Finding a working NEOGEO to play your NEOGEO games isn't an easy feat so people with those titles are up shit creek. Removing backwards compatibility is, yes, shitty. Was it possibly inspired by the release of downloadable titles and HD remakes? Sure. However, when the feature was pulled you could still buy PS2s, for quite a while actually. Nobody raises pitchforks at Nintendo because I can't play by N64 games anymore, people move on or re-buy them. Just because the disk fits into the slot doesn't mean you can play your game on the newer system. It's not good or consumer friendly, that's just how it is. PS2 bucked the trend of BC compatibility, that idea didn't exist in the past (save Atari) (okay, well, unless you consider the GameBoy on SNES in that catagory but OH LOOK YOU MEAN I HAVE TO BUY A DS TO PLAY DS GAMES AND I CAN'T JUST USE MY WII, WHAT ABOUT THE CONSUMER NINTENDO?!?!?!)

Backwards compatibility isn't guaranteed for anything except PC, and even then that's not a promise with how advanced modern day systems are compared to PCs of old. There are many MANY things to bitch at the game industry about. However, Sony removing BC from systems, not via a patch but just not having the option on the console, isn't that huge of a deal.

Now, the Linux thing, that was fucked up. Complete consumer disrespect.

Consoles die. It's inevitable. Finding a working NEOGEO to play your NEOGEO games isn't an easy feat so people with those titles are up shit creek. Removing backwards compatibility is, yes, shitty. Was it possibly inspired by the release of downloadable titles and HD remakes? Sure. However, when the feature was pulled you could still buy PS2s, for quite a while actually. Nobody raises pitchforks at Nintendo because I can't play by N64 games anymore, people move on or re-buy them. Just because the disk fits into the slot doesn't mean you can play your game on the newer system. It's not good or consumer friendly, that's just how it is. PS2 bucked the trend of BC compatibility, that idea didn't exist in the past (save Atari) (okay, well, unless you consider the GameBoy on SNES in that catagory but OH LOOK YOU MEAN I HAVE TO BUY A DS TO PLAY DS GAMES AND I CAN'T JUST USE MY WII, WHAT ABOUT THE CONSUMER NINTENDO?!?!?!)

Uh, the reason nothing else was BC was because they were using a different medium: Cartridges, and they dumped an obsolete format for a new one. DS on Wii isn't even comparable. The situation with PS is different, because every PS has used the disk format, and wouldn't need a new format included to bulk up the console (like say, UMDs on Vita). You shouldn't be able to stick PS1 disks in a PS2 and not play them. Sony believed this then, not so much now.

Its obviously something consumers like too; the best selling consoles, the PS2, Wii, and DS are a testament to this. Plus, I guarantee that many PS3 sells were actually lost with the removal, either because they didn't want to buy it if not BC, or because they ended up buying a used PS3 to have BC.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Forgive my ignorance, what is a CFW PS3, and how I I figure out if I have one (Pretty sure I have one of the first or second slim models).

xero273

Forgive my ignorance, what is a CFW PS3, and how I I figure out if I have one (Pretty sure I have one of the first or second slim models).

Last time I checked if you are above a certain FW (i think 3.55), you are SOL unless you do a mod. They sell flasher or whatever to solve that problem.

Erasus

CFW = Costum Firmware

Its not a model, its software loaded onto the PS3. Modified Sony firmware.
Like PSP CFW.

Your PS3 need to be below a certain firmware to install it

Basically, Sony approached its downloadable PS2 games like Nintendo did with WiiWare.

Very scummy that it had to be found this way.

Sony removed BC for PS3 and then made the only way to play old games was through its own store or re-releases.

How is GAF not enraged?

why should i be enraged? never played a ps1 game on my ps2, never played a ps2 game on my ps3, never played a gamecube game on my wii. i've always ended up just buying the game, ripping the iso and emulating it on pc for all the extra stuff those emulators can do that the official ones don't. i'll just let people who care about this stuff actually worry about it.

Its obviously something consumers like too; the best selling consoles, the PS2, Wii, and DS are a testament to this. Plus, I guarantee that many PS3 sells were actually lost with the removal, either because they didn't want to buy it if not BC, or because they ended up buying a used PS3 to have BC.

oh i see, so that's why the ps3 started selling a lot more when they got rid of BC...

Top Bottom