• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 "cannot download" glitch?

jwk94

So for the past one or two months, my PS4 has been telling me it "cannot download" most items (games and updates). I know other people have been having the same issue, but I don't see a solution for it. It says I don't have enough free space, despite having 30GB of free space and I already went through safe mode and did that thing where it checks your PS4's HDD for malfunctions. Is this happening to anybody else?

This just happened to me when I bought GTA V this weekend. I initially didnt have enough space (was really close with 138 MB or so needed), I cleared a bunch of space, still got the same error, then cleared about 50GB of additional space and it finally downloaded.

jwk94

This just happened to me when I bought GTA V this weekend. I initially didnt have enough space (was really close with 138 MB or so needed), I cleared a bunch of space, still got the same error, then cleared about 50GB of additional space and it finally downloaded.

That's a lot of clearing! That's the last thing I want to do right now.

I may be wrong but I thought you had to have the space to download the game + space for the entire install.

In other words if I have a gaming PC with 30 GBs left and download a game with a 28 GB download it only had 2 GBs left to unpack what's probably 10s of GBs of compressed files.

It checks prior too downloading at times; though I could be wrong maybe this is the issue.

jwk94

I may be wrong but I thought you had to have the space to download the game + space for the entire install.

In other words if I have a gaming PC with 30 GBs left and download a game with a 28 GB download it only had 2 GBs left to unpack what's probably 10s of GBs of compressed files.

It checks prior too downloading at times; though I could be wrong maybe this is the issue.

I was trying to download Journey and it wouldn't let me lol.

Persona7

Banned
I had this issue starting the same day P.T. was removed and I fixed it by doing the restore license thing or whatever it is called.

Ants

i know it seems like common sense that not being able to download great games, especially demos, would be a glitch or a bug, but as it turns out, konami are just assholes

hiex_

Banned
I've been getting the same, can't go below 38gb of storage space. It says I need to free up 133mb or something, every time I try and download something.

Had this issue a lot recently starting just after installing The Witcher 3, although I doubt that was the cause.

If something is downloading it keeps resetting the "preparing to download" to 0% and then just gives up, and when installing disc games it just dies midway through.

Kind of really pissing annoying.

I found that it happens when you don't have double the space a game is. Say a game is 50GB, you will need 100GB or it will give you an error with it.

Gusto

I tried to re-download PT just to see what would happen and now every time I turn on my ps4 I get a notification giving me an error and I can't clear it out.

Maybe it's part of PT's genius?

Darrenf

I got this issue yesterday when trying to download a patch for Shadow of Mordor. It's telling me I need 138mb to download it. I have 20GB space left. The download will start, but it will cancel around 30%. Really fucking annoying.

Apparently you have to delete stuff from the downloaded list. It won't delete the actual game, just the notification on the list. I guess there's a limit to how many things are on there.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I've got an issue where it won't stop telling me that I can't download P.T. every time I start the system up. It's a constant, brutal reminder. I don't know if there's a way to cancel the download attempt, but I haven't found one so far.

I tried to re-download PT just to see what would happen and now every time I turn on my ps4 I get a notification giving me an error and I can't clear it out.

Maybe it's part of PT's genius?

Ah, so I'm not alone. I didn't ask to be haunted like this.

breakfuss

lolololol man this has been happening to me for a while. Thought it was just me. Couldn't download the Arkham Knight update when I owned it and STILL can't download the DRIVECLUB update. GTAV update wouldn't work for a while either but I finally got it to install l somehow. PT "can't install" keeps popping up as well. Rebuilt database, deleted a bunch of stuff...no luck with this. I'm just ignoring it for now. Sucks.

Marceles

Sometimes it comes from there being a limit to how many notifications you can have in your download list, not just space. Same thing with the "can't upload" prompts, things won't upload to PS Plus because you have too many notifications. Hopefully Sony makes a "delete all" option soon, but for now you have to go individually to each downloaded or uploaded thing and delete them.

jsnepo

Anyone has a workaround for this? I just need to update Black Ops III and the update is just about 1.5GB. I have 22GB free on my PS4 yet the console is telling me to free up space. This is getting ridiculous. WTF Sony!? I already did a rebuild of the database. It didn't help.

MMaRsu

Banned
Anyone has a workaround for this? I just need to update Black Ops III and the update is just about 1.5GB. I have 22GB free on my PS4 yet the console is telling me to free up space. This is getting ridiculous. WTF Sony!? I already did a rebuild of the database. It didn't help.

You need to have a certain amount of free space or it wont install anything. Just delete something

SomTervo

It might be that it tots that 1.5GB update on the total update size, which might be 12GB+.

If it's 12GB+, the OS will demand 24GB of space (2x 12GB: the download version and the install version).

So make sure you delete some older games whenever you go to install stuff

univbee

It's kind of annoying but you pretty much need to always have at least 50ish gigs free, which gets tricky to manage with some larger games. With some games with their DLC and post-release patches you're looking at 70 gigs required, meaning you need 120 gigs free or so when you start to have a trouble-free install.

I think it was something they implemented in an OS update a little while ago because it wasn't always this way. They need to implement some sort of system where that 50 gig buffer you need is just not counted in your remaining free space, which I think is what the Xbox One does (part of why the "500 gig" drive only actually has 362 gigs usable).

rezn0r

Yep it's definitely gotten worse. I have 1TB in mine and was getting errors for a supposed 1.2GB patch for Destiny the other day when I had 22GB free (see SomTervo's note above which I believe is right) and then errors with Paragon & Overwatch when I freed up way more space. I need to just stop immediately installing games that I grab on sale that I'm not going to play yet

I usually have this error when I have less than 80GB of space.. is annoying, but I don't know if it checks how much the actual game requires, or if you have less than 100GB free -__-, try removing a huge game and try again.

terrible

Banned
I need like 100GB+ of free space when my digital games need updates, specifically the larger ones like Black Ops III (double the space of the entire game+update). It's pretty difficult considering I only have a 500GB hard drive and have multiple games I like to have ready to play at any given time.

munroe

You need to have a certain amount of free space or it wont install anything. Just delete something

If you have the space showing as available you shouldn't have to delete something. Sony could implement a better space management system

Yes, this is definitely a glitch. It seems that once we have less than ~50GB free, you can't download anything unless you free up space to have 50GB or more free again. I've seen many other people who are also having this issue.

Whenever my PS4 has less than 50GB free, I can't even download a small indie game.

I'm surprised they haven't figured out a way to fix this in one of the updates.

This is just one more reason why they really need to allow external storage game installs.

I've been having this issue for fucking months. It's so maddening. I have to have at least 90gb free on my hdd to download ANYTHING. I can't download a 200mb game if I don't have 90 gigs. I'm constantly having to delete shit and it's super frustrating. I looked all over the Internet and saw a few solutions that worked for some folks but none of it has worked for me.

You could try going into notifications and deleting everything from the download and upload list there. A lot of people with problem have said that worked.

pronk420

I thought this was just me and my ps4's hard disc was getting corrupted.. it refuses to download things unless i have a lot more free space than would seem necessary.

I wonder if it is something wrong with how it is reporting how much free space you have?

Zomba13

I still get this issue. I have 273.7GB free right not and it won't let me download a small, 5GB game. This problem has just been getting worst and worst, I'm just losing more and more space on the HDD. It's fucking insane!

Ahasverus

I still get this issue. I have 273.7GB free right not and it won't let me download a small, 5GB game. This problem has just been getting worst and worst, I'm just losing more and more space on the HDD. It's fucking insane!
That's the threesold for when it stops downlaoding new stuff, for some reason.

Not sure if this will help anyone, but I had a problem with "data corrupt" error in PS4 which wouldn't let me download anything. I managed to solve that by using Google's public DNS.

krumble

I get this all the time for months now off and on depending on the game and the size of the update
Found that deleting games either side of it actually allows it to download but don't really consider this a fix, it's fucking annoying to be honest

Anung

Un Rama
Happened to me a few times over the last few days. I guessed it might have been due to me having to downloaded loads of games, DLC and patches onto my new 4tb harddrive.

data

Downloaded RE0, said it was ready to be used... then it said it couldn't download. I'm pretty sure it doesn't mean anything. I had plenty of space left. (I could still launch the game)

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
Mine "cannot upload" my data to the cloud, for weeks now and it's a pretty annoying message.

8byte

Banned
I've had this happen, and basically just got to the point where I keep ~50GB free and I stopped having issues.

Still, sucks quite a bit to "lose" 50GB of space.

Top Bottom