• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 can't play MP3, Music Unlimited needed for background music [Up:Yoshida responds]

Status
Not open for further replies.

satam55

Banned
I believe the hardware is unable to read CDs, although again I'm not sure that's been confirmed. That's just my take from all of the info that's been released.

No, the hardware can definitely read CDs. Have you ever heard of a Blu-ray or DVD player/drive that can't read CDs?

Lucent

ku-xlarge.jpg

Saw this on Kotaku. Dunno if it ever got posted. Made me laugh though.

androvsky

No, the hardware can definitely read CDs. Have you ever heard of a Blu-ray or DVD player/drive that can't read CDs?
It's a fair question, actually. Around the February reveal, some Sony execs mentioned audio CDs not working or the PS4 can't play music CD and it wasn't clear if it was a drive limitation or not. All Blu-ray drives that I'm aware of can read CDs, but that's because they all have a CD frequency read laser on the head (adds very little to the cost). Sony's more than capable of making their own blu-ray drive that doesn't have a CD read laser, though I think it'd cost them more in the end over just being able to source multiple vendor's drives, or at least drive heads. Sony made the PS3's drive, and the encrypted drive firmware really saved their bacon in terms of preventing casual modding for piracy. Also, the official PS4 specifications don't mention anything about CD reading capability, only DVD and Blu-ray.

This is the only solid bit of information I've seen that says the PS4 will be able to read CDs, and it was added as a correction after the interview with Mark Cerny.
PS4 will read CDs, but will not play back audio CD music.

satam55

Banned
It's a fair question, actually. Around the February reveal, some Sony execs mentioned audio CDs not working or the PS4 can't play music CD and it wasn't clear if it was a drive limitation or not. All Blu-ray drives that I'm aware of can read CDs, but that's because they all have a CD frequency read laser on the head (adds very little to the cost). Sony's more than capable of making their own blu-ray drive that doesn't have a CD read laser, though I think it'd cost them more in the end over just being able to source multiple vendor's drives, or at least drive heads. Sony made the PS3's drive, and the encrypted drive firmware really saved their bacon in terms of preventing casual modding for piracy. Also, the official PS4 specifications don't mention anything about CD reading capability, only DVD and Blu-ray.

This is the only solid bit of information I've seen that says the PS4 will be able to read CDs, and it was added as a correction after the interview with Mark Cerny.

Yes, Audio CD playback can be patched in.

satam55

Banned
MP3 Support, DLNA and more features to follow on 2nd PS4 update

PS4_Default.png

Though there have been a few missteps on Sony’s behalf from the recent FAQ post riddled with mistakes of no MP3 support, No DLNA support, and a few other features that are not available at launch. We were able to speak to a Sony rep today about if any of these features could be implemented in the near future and much to our surprise we have received a “Yes“. The future update that is in process to be rolled out shortly after the PS4′s launch(November 15th) will include the following detailed features listed below:

1. Legacy headset support
2. Mp3 support for not only in-game but non gaming as well.
3. Suspend and resume play feature

All of these features are set to hit PS4′s consoles by late 2013- to early 2014. Which we hope Sony will deliver sooner upon. From what we know these features are being packed in the 2nd forth coming PS4 firmware update. Also these details were hinted today when Shuhei Yoshida made a post on twitter stating that he had a discussion with other PlayStation 4 development team members about received feedback. With this news being provided Those these features are a definite step in the right direction. We were still unable to confirm future external hard drive support for media or game data would be supported later on. lastly we’re still waiting to hear if there will be future YouTube support for video sharing. What do you think of this good news do you think Sony still needs more features to claim the living room in this next gen console war? comment below let us know.

http://couchjockeyz.com/mp3-support-dlna-and-more-features-to-follow-on-2nd-ps4-update/
rejoice.png

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe we should have more 70 pages of this kind of things for this kind of thing! Even if some posts are filled with anger.

Never heard of them but that news sounds great. Thats quicker than I expected, but you'd imagine they'd want suspend/resume in asap and they give themselves until early 2014 so there's a fudge factor. Makes sense and seems to be in line with hints here.

UNCMark

Banned
Come on man. You can rent movies with Video Unlimited, and you can also choose to rent movies on Vudu, Amazon Instant Video, and CinemaNow. All from PS3.

Not the same thing. Those are all one-off purchases or rentals. Music Unlimited and Xbox Music carry monthly service fees. I don't blame them for not allowing Spotify on their box. Or Google Music.

DigiMish

Never heard of the site, seems like they're just speculating for clicks.

We were able to speak to a Sony rep today about if any of these features could be implemented in the near future and much to our surprise we have received a “Yes“. The future update that is in process to be rolled out shortly after the PS4′s launch(November 15th) will include the following detailed features listed below...

I don't see how they went from "could" to "will".

satam55

Banned
Not the same thing. Those are all one-off purchases or rentals. Music Unlimited and Xbox Music carry monthly service fees. I don't blame them for not allowing Spotify on their box. Or Google Music.

This is why I speculate that Sony didn't integrate GoogleTV into the PS4. Sony wants us using Sony's services & not Google Play services. But I think we'll still see a PS4 with an HDMI-input (Without GoogleTV) in a future PS4 hardware revision.

DeltaJay

Banned
Huh he wont confirmed anything like that so soon.

All of these features are set to hit PS4′s consoles by late 2013- to early 2014. Which we hope Sony will deliver sooner upon. From what we know these features are being packed in the 2nd forth coming PS4 firmware update.

Sounds took good to be true. It would be nice since this is around the time I will be picking up my PS4. 2nd Qtr meaning.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Never heard of the site, seems like they're just speculating for clicks.

I don't see how they went from "could" to "will".

Isn't it obvious? The author asked if the features could be implemented at a later date and the response was that they will be.

Edit: Beaten.

Koyuga

Its so weird seeing user feedback on Twitter being taken seriously and having it shape the upcoming products. This is gonna be a very interesting generation.

Update 2: Shuhei also added on this topic, “We did not remove features, [they were] never implemented.”

Update: When someone on Twitter accused Sony of doing this as a business decision and “an anti-consumer choice meant to funnel people to your paid services,” Shuhei cleared this up by saying, “Not true.” Like a boss.

All the confirmation you need.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Update 2: Shuhei also added on this topic, “We did not remove features, [they were] never implemented.”

Update: When someone on Twitter accused Sony of doing this as a business decision and “an anti-consumer choice meant to funnel people to your paid services,” Shuhei cleared this up by saying, “Not true.” Like a boss.

And by "cleared this up," you mean "lied"

There is no other reason for why the only audio playback would be their paid service, or why they would try to pitch it as a feature and not an insult.

And by "cleared this up," you mean "lied"

There is no other reason for why the only audio playback would be their paid service, or why they would try to pitch it as a feature and not an insult.

You know, just because it wasn't there at launch, doesn't mean it's something malicious.

SnakeEyes

Banned
Dunno if anyone's seen this update to the FAQ yet?

Will I be able to play MP3s on PS4?
No*.
*We appreciate your feedback and are exploring possibilities.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Dunno if anyone's seen this update to the FAQ yet?

Will I be able to play MP3s on PS4?
No*.
*We appreciate your feedback and are exploring possibilities.
This is either the most unneeded lip service ever or the closest thing we are going to get to a confirmation.

I'm picking confirmation.

UNCMark

Banned

Confirmation of what? That Yosh tells fibs? Of course it was a business decision. It's not a coincidence that the one method of listening to music on the PS4 at launch is the one that generates money for Sony. As long as they add the methods that should have been there at launch soon, no one will ever remember this.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

Lol cleared it up like a boss? What the hell else was it? I keep hearing they didn't have the time to implement MP3 bedcaues the focus was games games games, but they had time to implement Sony MU support? On top of this, right where they mention .Mp3 isn't supported they suggest to you their service and link you right to the damn thing.

Finally pushing all of that aside, if you honestly believe they somehow forgot or didn't mean to leave out mp3 or it would've taken too much time, you are absolutely out of your mind. MP3 is a standard format on just about every electronic device released these days including most if not all consoles, phones (smart or not), e readers, computers, clocks, etc. etc. etc. It is ridiculous to suggest it would've taken any significant time or money to just put it on the damn console. They left it out on purpose in order to try to get people talking about their service and trying it out. It blew up in their face and hopefully they fix it quick.

Confirmation of what? That Yosh tells fibs? Of course it was a business decision. It's not a coincidence that the one method of listening to music on the PS4 at launch is the one that generates money for Sony. As long as they add the methods that should have been there at launch soon, no one will ever remember this.

Both consoles are coming in hot, so it could be something that was low on their priority list to be implemented later should enough people actually speak up.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Both consoles are coming in hot, so it could be something that was low on their priority list to be implemented later should enough people actually speak up.

.mp3, one of the most universally used and basic file types, versus implementing an entire program in their pay to use service..... hmmm yeah definitely.

UNCMark

Banned

That doesn't change the fact that they went with the harder of the two methods to implement first. It's a business decision. I can respect that.

Metfanant

What's quite comical about the mp3 situation...is that Cerny specifically uses mp3 every time he talks about the PS4's dedicated audio hardware...

He talks up how many different mp3 streams it can decode at once...and then the OS goes and leaves out mp3 playback? LoLz for dayzzz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom