• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 can't play MP3, Music Unlimited needed for background music [Up:Yoshida responds]

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was all planned, wait for an update that will allow MP3 for free, go ahead and hold your breath. Whats the point in Sony having their own Music store when you can just put your own shit on there, kind of makes their stuff useless. You wanna jam then pay that man.

Yeah, I don't think this will be patched in anytime soon.

Oersted

I have not once played MP3 (Really, MP3 2013?!) on my launch PS3. I have tried the DLNA feature but I don't use it since I have an HTPC that always will be a lot better for media.

I didn't think people used MP3 anymore. There's really no use to since proper streaming arrived.

If I do play music files it's flac since that's the only possible improvement over streaming.

I love how we start attacking each other for the sake of a company.

satam55

Banned
So the PS4 controller can be used with Android, TVs, Blu-ray players and Vita but the XB1 controller can't be use with anything but a XB1?

I'm not up on Microsoft but that seems stupid.
I know the Xbox 360 controller was supported with proprietary radio and standards but I thought with direct WiFi that would change.

So likely using the same WiFi radio but not the same standard.

Yeah, I've mentioned that before on the forum. The Dualshock 4 controller should work natively on ANY OS or device that supports USB or Bluetooth HID devices. While the Xbox1 controller will only work on Microsoft platforms.

DieH@rd

Banned
Yeah, I've mentioned that before on the forum. The Dualshock 4 controller should work natively on ANY OS or device that supports USB or Bluetooth HID devices. While the Xbox1 controller will only work on Microsoft platforms.

Well... this time Xbone controller also has USB port.

http://ps4daily.com/2013/10/playstation-4-might-support-4k-tv-after-all/ said:
We’ve previously heard rumors that the PlayStation 4 might support 4K Ultra HD TVs, and Sony didn’t actually deny those rumors. Apparently, that’s their official position, as Sony’s Andrew House said that the company “hasn’t ruled out the possibility of 4K television” on the PlayStation 4, and added that it all depends on broadcasters and whether they will start streaming 4K soon.

4K OTA broadcasting requires ATSC 3.0 which is not available. 4K streaming can be plain internet IPTV or via Cable TV and RVU. New cable boxes to support RVU have chipsets that can generate a 4K UI and support h.265 streaming for 4K media. 4K IPTV using h.265 would require 2X the bandwidth of 1080P using h.264.

What about the media....right now a 4K stream could contain 4 1080P views of an event like a Football game with the user able to choose a camera view and multi-view REW-Play each view if he wants. 1080P TVs can display this and 20 million game consoles plus how many Cable TV STBs that can support this with 1080P TVs?

Which would come first, 4K content for 4K TVs or 4K multi-streams ment for 1080P TVs? Sony in 2010 was talking multi-stream video supported by new codecs and how to use them on 1080P TVs.

Which comes first 4K multi-stream supported by IPTV or RVU. You don't need 4K multi-stream with IPTV, you just choose the view and it's streamed by the server..... Only Cable TV RVU makes sense for 4K multi-view supporting 1080P TVs.

satam55

Banned
4K OTA broadcasting requires ATSC 3.0 which is not available. 4K streaming can be plain internet IPTV or via Cable TV and RVU. New cable boxes to support RVU have chipsets that can generate a 4K UI and support h.265 streaming for 4K media. 4K IPTV using h.265 would require 2X the bandwidth of 1080P using h.264.

What about the media....right now a 4K stream could contain 4 1080P views of an event like a Football game with the user able to choose a camera view and multi-view REW-Play each view if he wants. 1080P TVs can display this and 20 million game consoles plus how many Cable TV STBs that can support this with 1080P TVs?

Which would come first, 4K content for 4K TVs or 4K multi-streams ment for 1080P TVs? Sony in 2010 was talking multi-stream video supported by new codecs and how to use them on 1080P TVs.

Jeff, you didn't answer my 2 previous questions on the previous page.

1. So RVU makes HDMI-input in the Xbox1 & GoogleTV boxes obsolete/irrelevant, correct? That could explain why Google is rumored to be abandoning GoogleTV: http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/10/4825580/google-tv-reportedly-being-phased-out

2. Why couldn't the 2.4 GHz-only WiFi in the launch PS4 be upgraded to dual-band (2.4GHz & 5Ghz) WiFi in a PS4 hardware revision? That seems like something that would be easy to add.

lynux3

This was all planned, wait for an update that will allow MP3 for free, go ahead and hold your breath. Whats the point in Sony having their own Music store when you can just put your own shit on there, kind of makes their stuff useless. You wanna jam then pay that man.

Unfortunate. Sony should just let us buy music from them like they used to with Connect. I am not very fond of subscribing to their service and once it goes up all of my music is inaccessible.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Which comes first 4K multi-stream supported by IPTV or RVU. You don't need 4K multi-stream with IPTV, you just choose the view and it's streamed by the server..... Only Cable TV RVU makes sense for 4K multi-view supporting 1080P TVs.

getting OT here, but don't many satellite broadcasters still use MPEG2 for their HD channels? the timing of H264 wasn't ideal when they were launching HD so they stuck with older formats

Assuming 4k will need new set top boxes anyway, it would be good timing to switch direct from MPEG2 to h265 - bandwidth requirements could remain static but with an increase from 1080i to 4k

SystemsGo

Banned
I have not once played MP3 (Really, MP3 2013?!) on my launch PS3. I have tried the DLNA feature but I don't use it since I have an HTPC that always will be a lot better for media.

I didn't think people used MP3 anymore. There's really no use to since proper streaming arrived.

GohUKLw.jpg

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

If I do play music files it's flac since that's the only possible improvement over streaming.

You can't seriously think this right?

Jeff, you didn't answer my 2 previous questions on the previous page.

1. So RVU makes HDMI-input in the Xbox1 & GoogleTV boxes obsolete/irrelevant, correct? That could explain why Google is rumored to be abandoning GoogleTV: http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/10/4825580/google-tv-reportedly-being-phased-out
Yup, good find. HDMI in will not be needed and Any Google Android platform that supports DLNA-RVU can view the TV served by the cable TV Gateway DLNA server. TV guides also served via RVU (remote view) from the cable box.

2. Why couldn't the 2.4 GHz-only WiFi in the launch PS4 be upgraded to dual-band (2.4GHz & 5Ghz) WiFi in a PS4 hardware revision? That seems like something that would be easy to add.
I mentioned this already, it would be three radios vs two listening.

Ps3 has this store too and so does Vita

getting OT here, but don't many satellite broadcasters still use MPEG2 for their HD channels? the timing of H264 wasn't ideal when they were launching HD so they stuck with older formats.
ATSC 2.0 is an extension to ATSC 1.0 where the OTA Main channel for example, 13-1 will use the Mpeg2 (DVD) codec and sub channels like 13-2 and larger can use Mpeg 2 or h.264 (blu-ray codec). With h.264 the sub channel can support 1080P and S3D. In addition the FCC has created standards for: 1) NRT (Non Realtime Transmission) that can be contained in the video stream or on sub channels to support guides and Movies in a DVR fashion as well as 2) XTV where Java and Javascript programs including addresses to websites are included in the video stream.

Problem is most TVs can't support this and we also want our tablets and phones to also display TV. The FCC with RVU mandated for the cable companies and the CE industry has decided that DLNA-RVU SERVER Gateway devices like Sony's Nanse ($200) should be used with OTA and cable. This requires a 1080P DLNA-RVU player STB at the TV connected to the home network. Cable companies will rent you one for $6 a month or you can buy a $49 Google TV from China or use a upgraded Apple TV, Google TV, PS3, PS4 or XB1. This is where the TV talk comes from in the leaked Xbox 720 Powerpoint. Microsoft could have included tuners in the XB1 and it perform as both a Gateway device DLNA-RVU server and STB player for the TV it's connected to. Since TV standards are different internationally this would require multiple SKUs.

Assuming 4k will need new set top boxes anyway, it would be good timing to switch direct from MPEG2 to h265 - bandwidth requirements could remain static but with an increase from 1080i to 4k
That would work for Cable TV with Cable TV STBs but what about two generations of Android and Apple tablets and phones. They don't have a hardware decoder for the h.265 codec and ARM neon likely won't be powerful enough unless you are talking 2013 and later hardware. This makes the PS4 and XB1 the 4K multi-stream players for Olympics and sporting events and explains Microsoft locking in APPs for sporting events.

White paper describing DLNA - RVU

rvoalliance_3.jpg

GAMEPROFF

Banned

No, just you and a small tech-affine community preffer streaming over MP3.
There are still a lot of people who use iTunes, Amazon, etc for music, even there are some folks, who buy CDs.

tokkun

Why are people still doubting? Maybe this thread has finally run its course.

People are doubting because of the public statements made by Sony employees. I understand that people are saying it is being worked on off-the-record, but if that was enough to consider it a done deal, then why isn't Sony willing to say anything publicly that commits itself to bringing those features? They are willing to commit themselves to other features like Suspend, but not to MP3 or DLNA. Why shouldn't this be seen as an indication that they are less than 100% committed to those features coming out in the future?

It concerns me that these back-channel rumors about Sony's future plans are being used to damp criticism against the publicly-stated policy. If the consumer criticism dies out quickly, prior to any sort of public promise of these features arriving in a future update, Sony may view that as an indication that consumer demand for those features was not actually as strong as it initially appeared, but rather that this was more of a flavor-of-the-week complaint. Then they could subsequently deprioritize or even cancel the development of these features.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Supporting music from a stream is not the same as playing .mp3 from a folder of files, there's a whole bunch of file i/o stuff that the latter has to deal with whereas the former doesn't.

I'm not suggesting its hard to implement, however what it does do is open up a whole set of contingencies to maintain platform security. Playback isn't the issue, its everything around it that'll be keeping the OS-team thinking.

Playback of video files is the same, but with the added complication of pressure from media companies to include DRM functionality. PS3 video playback supports Cinavia for instance, a technology that no doubt will have been pushed on them as a neccessity by Sony's own media arm, and will be an additional licensing cost to be factored in.

How many consumers do you think have moved their music collections over from MP3 to FLAC I wonder...

You my friend, live in a bubble.

"I tried tennis once in high school and it wasn't for me. Is that even a sport any more?"

"I don't know any Koreans. Not one. Do they even exist?"

etc.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

LOL

People are doubting because of the public statements made by Sony employees. I understand that people are saying it is being worked on off-the-record, but if that was enough to consider it a done deal, then why isn't Sony willing to say anything publicly that commits itself to bringing those features? They are willing to commit themselves to other features like Suspend, but not to MP3 or DLNA. Why shouldn't this be seen as an indication that they are less than 100% committed to those features coming out in the future?

It concerns me that these back-channel rumors about Sony's future plans are being used to damp criticism against the publicly-stated policy. If the consumer criticism dies out quickly, prior to any sort of public promise of these features arriving in a future update, Sony may view that as an indication that consumer demand for those features was not actually as strong as it initially appeared, but rather that this was more of a flavor-of-the-week complaint. Then they could subsequently deprioritize or even cancel the development of these features.
Even with several mods chiming in this is still a solid point.

The best official word we've gotten is that Sony is "exploring options". Thats nowhere near the definite stance the mods are signaling.

Jomjom

Banned
Still no update from MS on whether the Xbone will play mp3s?

Depends. If it's bad news, don't hold your breath. Like everything else, it'll probably have to be revealed by some outside party because MS doesn't give any update unless its positive.

Best we can hope for is Penello coming in saying he's heard music on the Xbox One and it's f'n awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom