• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 firmware 4.50 add Boost Mode for PS4 Pro.

S1kkZ

can someone test the following?

saints row 4 (constant jumps between 30 and 60 fps causing massive judder)
mirrors edge catalyst (framedrops and tearing)

they have room for a lot of improvement.

Bustanen

Right, I've had a mess around with boost mode for a few hours running games I've got that I know can be problematic. Non of this is science, just guess work!!!

Project Cars - Better, much better. Still frame rate issues in wet racing with lots on screen but its considerably better than before.

Bioshock Infinite - Pretty much a solid locked 60fps from the part I played. Could be different in other areas though maybe.

Darksiders 2 - Now locked 30FPS and screen tearing is gone

Lords Of The Fallen - Almost now a locked 30fps, screen tearing pretty much gone.

Tomb Raider - Now a pretty much solid 60FPS lock (not ROTTR here, the original reboot)

Sleeping Dogs - Still a bit rough when driving around, but much better and smoother on foot.

Evil Within - Great! Miles better than before!

COD Ghosts - Yes I know no one plays this anymore, but in multiplayer areas, game is now pretty much locked to 60FPS where it wasn't before on some maps. First 10 minutes of campaign mode is also pretty much a lock.

Dead Island - Seems the same as before, Frame pacing issues and not FPS problems perhaps?

Everybodys Gone To The Rapture - Smoother, still not perfect, but must now be a very close 30FPS lock

Oddworld New And Tasty - Now seemingly locked to 30FPS

Resident Evil 5 - No more frame drops that I can see where there used to be minor ones throughout.

I'll submit more if anyone is interested
raw

BB is still going to have frame pacing issues so even if it's improved, the difference is going to be marginal compared to titles that have severe drops but no frame pacing issues (e.g. Until Dawn).

kevin1025

Banned
Right, I've had a mess around with boost mode for a few hours running games I've got that I know can be problematic. Non of this is science, just guess work!!!

Project Cars - Better, much better. Still frame rate issues in wet racing with lots on screen but its considerably better than before.

Bioshock Infinite - Pretty much a solid locked 60fps from the part I played. Could be different in other areas though maybe.

Lords Of The Fallen - Almost now a locked 30fps, screen tearing pretty much gone.

Tomb Raider - Now a pretty much solid 60FPS lock (not ROTTR here, the original reboot)

Sleeping Dogs - Still a bit rough when driving around, but much better and smoother on foot.

COD Ghosts - Yes I know no one plays this anymore, but in multiplayer areas, game is now pretty much locked to 60FPS where it wasn't before on some maps. First 10 minutes of campaign mode is also pretty much a lock.

Dead Island - Seems the same as before, Frame pacing issues and not FPS problems perhaps?

Everybodys Gone To The Rapture - Smoother, still not perfect, but must now be a very close 30FPS lock

Resident Evil 5 - No more frame drops that I can see where there used to be minor ones throughout.

Awesome list of test games, thanks!

S1kkZ

finally, i can play lords of the fallen without getting sick (tearing was intrusive).

Yes. YES. This is the kind of thing I was wanting to see from the Pro. Can't wait to pick one up now

From my quick tests, Bloodborne isn't improved at all but Yakuza 0 now rarely drops frames at all

FROM Software are the most disappointing developer. Please Sony get Japan Studios to patch this fucking game.

I don't get why Sony don't force their studios to patch all first party titles. It's their own hardware ffs, why would third parties go back to patch older games if Sony themselves don't give a fuck.

Is screen tearing still present in Sleeping Dogs?

Oddworld New and Tasty is a 60fps game.

DieH@rd

Banned
Really curious about Bloodborne's boost mode loading times and Until Dawn's performance

After few minutes of testing, it runs better, but since I was never bothered by the framepacing in that game,I can't say if it is eliminated. DF/NXGamer will have to give us definite proof of that.

ViciousDS

Banned
Damn this is really making me want to pick up a Pro. Unity's Paris is so beautiful but it's the only game I own where the performance was so abysmal that I couldn't keep playing.

oh damn.....forgot about how amazing Unity was engine wise. Too ambitious vision wise. I
really want to know how it runs now.....especially since codes can be had for like $5 now

bennibop

OK bloodborne plays better imo, still frame pacing issues though and that's from softwares problem to resolve. Definitely feels smoother.

geordiemp

People that think this means 60FPS versions of games are mental.

enjoy your 3-5fps boost.

At least this will now deflect the hatred for Sony on to the individual developers of the games with locked 30fps.

30 % clock faster, loving the salt.

It means any older ps4 game that drops frame rate will now run nicely...sweet

Top Bottom