• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 firmware 4.50 add Boost Mode for PS4 Pro.

thatJohann

Digital foundry has got a lot of work ahead! Loving this update - boost mode, custom wallpapers and external HDD support. What else do we need?! Lol

Blobbers

Will this let me play Bloodborne at 60FPS?
Or will it only be useful for games that at times can't quite reach 30FPS or 60FPS?

https://twitter.com/ILikeLego/status/827516432753770500/photo/1

C3vtyy7WIAA6czA.jpg

newbong95

Boost mode - how is this possible ? Cerny mentioned that changing the cpu frequency broke the base ps4 games . Thats why they underclocked the cpu and turned off part of the gpu . Maybe they are unlocking the gpu but keeping the cpu clock rate at 1.6ghz ? Like microsoft did with xbone s keeping the cpu at 1.75 ghz and overclocking the gpu at 911mhz

Boost mode - how is this possible ? Cerny mentioned that changing the cpu frequency broke the base ps4 games . Thats why they underclocked the cpu and turned off part of the gpu . Maybe they are unlocking the gpu but keeping the cpu clock rate at 1.6ghz ?

Definitely not. It's the cpu unlocked.

mieumieu

Wonder what that means for games with dynamic resolutions such as Doom?

I don't get why it would break something, when there are frame rate caps in every game?

Theoretically, game programming should not rely on specific clock frequency or HDD speed, etc. to implement features. But sometimes programmers wrote code that are like that without knowing (or even intentionally: especially early console games, think PS2 and before). Especially in multi-threaded situations too.

So occasionally you see games broken because of that. We once fixed an I/O crash bug when the game runs on a new PS3 model (the super slim). It is very rare but it does happen.

Or will it only be useful for games that at times can't quite reach 30FPS or 60FPS?

The latter.

Bloodborne and almost every PS4 game locks the framerate at it's desired framerate.

This will help when you're getting 24-29 FPS and increasing it to 30FPS.

onQ123

I'm still waiting for that list of Xbox One games that got a noticeable boost from being played on Xbox One S.

boost mode for PS4 Pro
higher frame rate for old game which dont have Pro patch

JSE23dx.gif

BRUH! PLEASE!!!

If this means I can play destiny at 60 frames, I swear to fucking god I will go out and buy a PS PRO next fucking month!!!!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Boost mode - how is this possible ? Cerny mentioned that changing the cpu frequency broke the base ps4 games . Thats why they underclocked the cpu and turned off part of the gpu . Maybe they are unlocking the gpu but keeping the cpu clock rate at 1.6ghz ?

It could break, depending on how the game's using the hardware. But it might not. They're now giving you the option now to try it, without a guarantee the game will run stably. If it doesn't you can turn it off. If it does, it should run better.

th4tguy

Boost mode - how is this possible ? Cerny mentioned that changing the cpu frequency broke the base ps4 games . Thats why they underclocked the cpu and turned off part of the gpu . Maybe they are unlocking the gpu but keeping the cpu clock rate at 1.6ghz ? Like microsoft did with xbone s keeping the cpu at 1.75 ghz and overclocking the gpu at 911mhz

It doesn't break all games. It's why it's a toggle. You can disable it when it is causing problems. I think having the option is the best solution.

Hasney

Wonder what that means for games with dynamic resolutions such as Doom?

I don't get why it would break something, when there are frame rate caps in every game?

Yeah, Doom should hold res for longer I would assume since the power will be available.

Not every game is capped and some games can occasionaly be programmed to the exact frequency of the CPU for a shortcut. The translation Tweet does show there's a warning too.

C3vtyy7WIAA6czA.jpg

Theoretically it should work like this

For games with dynamic resolution - they should be 1080p all the time

For games with framerate cap

if they were limited by gpu then it should be hitting cap all the time
if they were limited by cpu there should be much less drop below their cap

Top Bottom