• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 firmware 4.50 add Boost Mode for PS4 Pro.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
That's not a negative thing at all, I'm just telling people how it is. I always unlock my framerates if they are going to go over the cap.

Except we don't know whether this will unlock the frame rate or use the specs to better adhere to the target.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Ooooh man please let this happen. Maybe I can finally enjoy Just Cause 3 without pouring drain cleaner on my eyes.

Also #bloodborne

Will be great for the upcoming FFXV 60 FPS patch. Let the fun begins!
Wat

The 60fps patch is Pro only, and that title would already have the console running at full clocks.

Until Dawn will benefit hugely from this - it has an unlocked frame rate hat frequently dips below 30.

antibolo

Banned
This is probably an option to force games that are not Pro-enhanced to run with the full Pro clock speeds.

Nobody should expect games to magically go from 30 to 60 FPS. But it may help games with framerate dips.

Expect what we saw from the Xbox One S. More stable 30s and 60s for unpatched games

Basically this.

5taquitos

PS4's extra grunt lies in the GPU - an opposite situation to N3DS's which was a CPU-heavy upgrade. Is that more or less prone to issues if Sony just switches on the other half of the PS4 Pro's GPU?
The Pro CPU is also clocked higher than the OG. Presumably Beast Mode will utilize the full Pro CPU but keep the GPU locked.

smuf

What is the release timeframe for this? I'm currently playing Bloodborne for the first time but might put it on hold for a while now.

FrankWza

Damn. Ps4 Pro with this exclusive lineup plus whats about to release. Has there ever been a time with multiple platforms where a console has been this much the clear cut leader in terms of power and games? Ps1 had games over n64 but n64 was supposed to be more powerful. Same with ps2 vs gc/xbox. Pretty ridiculous right now.

The Pro CPU is also clocked higher than the OG. Presumably Beast Mode will utilize the full Pro CPU but keep the GPU locked.

It's a pretty minor bump, yeah (N3DS was 3x CPU clock + 3 more cores + 2MB L2 cache) so it shouldn't break anything.

The PS4 Pro GPU saw a minor clock boost in addition to doubling compute units, each GCN compute unit now runs at 911MHz, up from 800MHz. Wonder if it'll just bump up the clocks too, Xbox One S style.

That would make the most sense for me in terms of maintaining compatibility as much as possible with older non-enhanced games.

bombshell

Cross posting from other thread:

uhhhhhhhh

Well shit, now I want a Pro again

Looks like Sony put in the testing and realised it wasn't impossible like they were BSly complaining

Regardless, this is freaking amazing so good work (finally)

You sold your Pro already??!

rpg_fan

It's not going to override hard coded framerate limits. Think Xbox 1s, with a bit more clock speed some old games performed better. This should be the same.

yyr

Is... is this possible?!

Of course it is. Xbox One S already does this, and I anticipate Scorpio will to a much greater extent.

I'm wondering why PS4 Pro didn't already do this.

Has there ever been a time with multiple platforms where a console has been this much the clear cut leader in terms of power and games?

I would say no. Different folks, different opinions. I admit to being an oddball sometimes, but most PS4 exclusives don't interest me atm. When Shenmue III comes out I might agree with you though...it's why I bought my PS4 in the first place.

I still don't understand why people think the number of CU's matter, GPU's are massively parallel, and tools and middleware isn't hard coded to a set number of CU's. The CPU clocks increasing are more likely to cause issues in games than adding double the number of CU's.

Arttemis

Fucking megaton if true!!!

I still don't understand why people think the number of CU's matter, GPU's are massively parallel, and tools and middleware isn't hard coded to a set number of CU's. The CPU clocks increasing are more likely to cause issues in games than adding double the number of CU's.
See below:
Of course it is. Xbox One S already does this, and I anticipate Scorpio will to a much greater extent.

I'm wondering why PS4 Pro didn't already do this.
There's already a precedent this generation for performance gains from CPU upclock hardware refreshes.

Wonder if that'll be PS4 games using 18 GCN compute units at the higher 911MHz (boosted over 800MHz) or whether it'll use all 36?

I can see this being the way it works, increase the clocks for the standard gpu half and ram rather than unlocking the whole 2nd half. Given how 'to the metal' some games are written I can see this giving the best chance of a speed boost without crashes.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
We're talking specifically Until Dawn, which has an unlocked framerate. It will not unlock software locked framerates.

oh ok, didn't know UD was unlocked, always thought it was just bad at keeping 30 lol.

Well .. based on the sheer CPU/GPU upgrade, I'm honestly expecting a lot more than just a XB1S style 3~ FPS upgrade. If XB1S can do 3~ FPS on 30 and 6, 7~ FPS on 60 unlocked/60 FPS games with just it's meager upgrade, this should THEORETICALLY do much much better.

I already upgraded the stock HDD to a 2TB FireCuda two weeks ago though... I could always use the leftover HDD but I already feel like I have too much space!

That and I planned to use that HDD for the Switch.

I can see this being the way it works, increase the clocks for the standard gpu half and ram rather than unlocking the whole 2nd half. Given how 'to the metal' some games are written I can see this giving the best chance of a speed boost without crashes.

You honestly think games these days are still written 'to the metal' with how massive game development is now.

Vamp

I will wait for reviwes, if there is significant performance boost i might get pro and sell the og ps4.

Regarding frame pacing issues, will it be fixed or that doesn't have anything to do with this boost mode?

foxbeldin

Now i get the fw codename
giphy.gif

antibolo

Banned
I wonder if it's going to break any games. I mean the general assumption as to why the Pro downclocked non-enhanced games was to make sure no existing games would break.

Maybe they'll keep a blacklist of games that are known to break, so the boost mode will not apply to them. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the Xbox One S already does this.

Hasney

oh ok, didn't know UD was unlocked, always thought it was just bad at keeping 30 lol.

Well .. based on the sheer CPU/GPU upgrade, I'm honestly expecting a lot more than just a XB1S style 3~ FPS upgrade. If XB1S can do 3~ FPS on 30 and 6, 7~ FPS on 60 unlocked/60 FPS games with just it's meager upgrade, this should THEORETICALLY do much much better.

Totally. The CPU isn't a big bump at all, so if the bottleneck is there, you might be looking at only a small boost. If the GPU is bottlenecking, then it should be more noticeable.

That said, I can't wait for DF to dig into this to see what it does. It may only be the GPU power that gets turned up as CPU can be more risky. Hopefully it's both though!

foxbeldin

I wonder if it's going to break any games. I mean the assumption as to why the Pro downclocked non-enhanced games was to make sure no existing games would break.

It appears (i don't speak japanese but it's the translation we've been given) that the feature explicitely states you need to turn it off it your game does things it's not supposed to.
So yeah, a few games will break, hopefully not too many.

Izuna

Banned
You sold your Pro already??!

I returned it and got this £60 PS4 that works 100% except for discs need to be entered like twice before working (but i don't use discs)

I just starting building my PS4 library too and I'm eyeing the Pro. I guess I should wait and see what kind of updates we get, after all prior to Pro third-parties I all have on Xbox anyways...

I don't really need the slight IQ update... I want FPS updates... and that's the biggest benefit of something like this.

Maybe later on there will be a good exchange deal and I ask if the PS4 I have is aight for it

farisr

Oh wow, didn't think Sony would actually do it. Knew it should've been possible but didn't expect them to, and as a result of that I actually a few days ago talked about having an optional feature like this for the Scorpio.

Where by default, for compatibility reasons (like the Pro) it limits/runs in OG mode for unpatched games, but the user does have the option to allow unpatched games access to that power at their own risk. Could lead to game's breaking and what not, but it is an optional feature after all that could benefit certain games still.

Awesome!

antibolo

Banned
It appears (i don't speak japanese but it's the translation we've been given) that the feature explicitely states you need to turn it off it your game does things it's not supposed to.
So yeah, a few games will break, hopefully not too many.

Huh. Now I'm not convinced this is going to be a feature that's going to be included in the final release of the firmware.

Sweep14

It could be more significant than the XB1S boost: PS4 has a 1.6 ghz cpu clock and 800 mhz gpu clock. Games developed for vanilla PS4 could now deal with a 2.13 ghz cpu and 911 mhz gpu clock. So 30% gain for cpu and 20% for gpu. That's more than the 7% increase of XB1S over XB1.

Izuna

Banned
That would work if the S and Pro were targeting the same thing. It's like comparing the PS4 slim to Scorpio when it's released.

Context for me is S vs. Pro in terms of games AND how they treat them

No Scalebound is still affecting me poorly. MS would have to bring it hard af at E3

Oh well, I was lucky to try NiOh during its last chance beta so I guess I got what I wanted in 2017 afterall

Top Bottom