• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hardware Troubleshooting / Q&A Thread

Jedi2016

Yantai/September 2013
Same here. But that wouldn't normally make me happy, since the Yantai factory seems to be the one that you hear about in the news more often than the others.

More importantly, can we get confirmation of where the broken ones were manufactured?

Mine's working fine so far, but the talk of disc drive problems has me worried since I haven't done much with the drive yet (AC4's been sitting in there quite comfortably since Friday night).

harSon

Banned
Anyone else having a controller issue where the sticks will seem to lose connection?

Most common point this happens is in Killzone or BF4 - and essentially the camera will become unresponsive or erratic.

I had an issue where my controllers wouldn't sync to the Playstation 4 at all. Both the one that came with the system, and the one I purchased separately refused to ever sync up. I got a replacement at the Sony store, and now everything is working great.

ViciousDS

Banned
what firmware?: 1.5

purchased from where?: gamestop

what is your A/V set up like?: hdmi to reciever, receiver to TV

what resolution do you want to output in? 1080p

were you able to get any video signal or none at all?
Yup video good

can you hear audio?
Works great in linear but using Dolby or DTS results in sound skipping. Is there a known issue with this? My reciever notices it just fine but anything but linear PCM has skipping issues with both optical and even hdmi.

Didn't want to start a new thread so hope I can get an answer in here.

What's the status on digital content purchased on the PS3? How is it being handled and is there the possibility of it carrying over at some point?

Your existing Avatar will carry over, even if it is a paid/dlc one.

You can't choose it through the PS4 though

Vaiim

It might be more convenient for it to be DOA but it potentially speaks to much larger quality issues than products that break a year after purchase from heavy use. Who is to say that even the 'good' units now won't face some sort of issue in the next year? We don't really know the nature of the problem yet.

That's the big fear yea. That this issue which isn't too widespread yet might affect more PS4s after they age a bit (whether it's days or years). I very much hope it's nothing serious, but only Sony will know, and sadly they can't really be trusted to tell the whole story.

Mine runs perfectly fine except it runs loud when playing Killzone (haven't tried another game). I keep hearing people say theirs is virtually silent, but I have nothing to compare to.

It will be loud when installing (it installs while you play the game also), but should quieten down after it's fully done. Not sure how long it takes to fully install, but if it's still loud after a couple of hours of Killzone you might have a problem :(

finalexit

Same here. But that wouldn't normally make me happy, since the Yantai factory seems to be the one that you hear about in the news more often than the others.

More importantly, can we get confirmation of where the broken ones were manufactured?

Mine's working fine so far, but the talk of disc drive problems has me worried since I haven't done much with the drive yet (AC4's been sitting in there quite comfortably since Friday night).

I haven't seen anyone with a console that wasn't manufactured at the Yantai factory.

K' Dash

I haven't seen anyone with a console that wasn't manufactured at the Yantai factory.

Yup, only Yantai PS4 until now, I'm from Costa Rica and I'm getting mine tomorrow, I'm curious about that info, I'll test the console before I leave the store, that's for sure.

ok. guess trading in ps3 isn't the best idea yet.

If you want to play ANY PS3 game, keep yours handy for a while, but I don't think they're ever going to add BC to PS4, there's still Gaikai I guess.

kurahadol

I know the Pulse Elite headset isn't supported, but I thought I read that it can still be hooked up to get stereo sound on it for the PS4. Is that true? If so, how do I go about hooking it up?

Jedi2016

So, for now anyway, the manufacturing location means nothing.

From what I've read, Yantai is Foxconn's more "advanced" plant, dedicated almost exclusively to high-end electronics (iPhones and Playstations and the like). That's probably one reason why it's in the news more than the others, so the media can sensationalize where your electronic gizmo is coming from, rather than a product that's not even sold in the U.S., produced in some other Foxconn factory elsewhere in China (they have three plants in China).

Sykotik

I decided to go to Gamestop to see if anyone was waiting outside. There isn't anyone there, right now. The store hours sign says they open at 11am on Sundays, and stay open 'til 6pm. The problem is, last night, they said they won't be selling them until 9pm today. I find it hard to believe that they are going to stay open 3 hours over-time just to possibly sell 3 left-over pre-orders.

I don't know what to do. Any insiders have any knowledge of what they should be doing?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So, for now anyway, the manufacturing location means nothing.

From what I've read, Yantai is Foxconn's more "advanced" plant, dedicated almost exclusively to high-end electronics (iPhones and Playstations and the like). That's probably one reason why it's in the news more than the others, so the media can sensationalize where your electronic gizmo is coming from, rather than a product that's not even sold in the U.S., produced in some other Foxconn factory elsewhere in China (they have three plants in China).

Is Yantai a place or a division of Foxconn? I'm not convinced this is one factory...

ViciousDS

Banned
Is there known issues with using Dolby or DTS bitstream? It has minor skips.....linear PCM is fine because it's still multichannel but I want my DTS lol

Well looks like my PS4 is a $450 paper weight. I didn't even get to play it. Right out of the box this error (not my photo):

Deep78K.jpg

Some people were reporting the hard drive cage screw missing but mine is there. I even replaced the hard drive with one I had sitting around that I know worked, no dice. I knew I should have bought a new GPU instead of a console.

Yup, only Yantai PS4 until now, I'm from Costa Rica and I'm getting mine tomorrow, I'm curious about that info, I'll test the console before I leave the store, that's for sure.

If you want to play ANY PS3 game, keep yours handy for a while, but I don't think they're ever going to add BC to PS4, there's still Gaikai I guess.

Yeah, I'm holding out hope for vouchers for Gaikai if that's the platform they decide to use past catalogs on. Probably not entirely feasible but still hoping.

Frillen

Well looks like my PS4 is a $450 paper weight. I didn't even get to play it. Right out of the box this error (not my photo):

Deep78K.jpg

Some people were reporting the hard drive cage screw missing but mine is there. I even replaced the hard drive with one I had sitting around that I know worked, no dice. I knew I should have bought a new GPU instead of a console.

I hope you don't have those lights on in the background when you play.

purchased from where?: amazon

INTERMITTENT ISSUES

I think I'm having an HDMI handshake problem. From a cold boot, my PS4 will turn on (blue pulsing light), but no video signal will be sent to receiver/tv. Restarting the PS4 by holding down the power button for 10+ seconds fixes the issue. Also, leaving the PS4 in standby appears (so far) to prevent the problem from occurring.

panty

INTERMITTENT ISSUES

I think I'm having an HDMI handshake problem. From a cold boot, my PS4 will turn on (blue pulsing light), but no video signal will be sent to receiver/tv. Restarting the PS4 by holding down the power button for 10+ seconds fixes the issue. Also, leaving the PS4 in standby appears (so far) to prevent the problem from occurring.
gs1ejM9.png

Not saying that's what's happening with your setup but just found this picture and decided to share.

K' Dash

INTERMITTENT ISSUES

gs1ejM9.png

Have you trie updating TV firmware?, some Gaffers did that and HDMI handshake problems were fixed.

Not saying that's what's happening with your setup but just found this picture and decided to share.

He sounds like an asshole.

Mr. Helios

Neo Member
That's the big fear yea. That this issue which isn't too widespread yet might affect more PS4s after they age a bit (whether it's days or years). I very much hope it's nothing serious, but only Sony will know, and sadly they can't really be trusted to tell the whole story.

It will be loud when installing (it installs while you play the game also), but should quieten down after it's fully done. Not sure how long it takes to fully install, but if it's still loud after a couple of hours of Killzone you might have a problem :(

I'm on Chapter 3 :(

gs1ejM9.png

I appreciate the help, but I don't think the tv is the problem. It's a Panasonic S60 plasma, purchased in March of this year. My receiver "shouldn't" be the issue either, but it's a Onkyo from 2006, so I don't know if it's more temperamental.

finalexit

I appreciate the help, but I don't think the tv is the problem. It's a Panasonic S60 plasma, purchased in March of this year. My receiver "shouldn't" be the issue either, but it's a Onkyo from 2006, so I don't know if it's more temperamental.

Have you tried connecting the console directly to your tv? I have an Onkyo from 2012 and before upgrading its firmware it had similar problems with the ps3.

My CC cost about 20 euro a year and the banks and card providers refund you if your card gets stolen or anything like that and used to pay for something and it is a lot safer than caring cash. It actually harder to use cash than CC here since some public transportation wont even let you pay in cash or the price is much larger. The reason behind it is to lower robbery by not having large sums of money in the cash registers.

All an all I don´t know anyone over the age of 18 that prefer cash over CC except my granny and seeing people pay in cash is actually very rare. Guess it is a cultural thing.
I hope you can do it some other way without using a CC like a code when you buy PS+ or in the manual to the PS4 otherwise I agree that would be stupid.

For the purpose of convenience, debit cards are much more popular in the rest of Europe. Usually there's no hidden fees or worries of exceeding your credit limit.

In some countries banks and ATM networks offer a free virtual CC service. This means the company issues a temporary CC number with a pre-defined transaction amount limit and a short expiration deadline. These are purposed specifically for on-line shopping.
Usually you only need a debit card to have access to the service, so people who are weary of using their real CC on-line should really get in touch with their banks.

sangreal

Onkyo is notorious for developing HDMI problems with age, fyi

Jedi2016

For the purpose of convenience, debit cards are much more popular in the rest of Europe. Usually there's no hidden fees or worries of exceeding your credit limit.
Check card from my credit union, best of both worlds. It's accepted everywhere, run like a credit card (swipe and go, no PIN number), but pulls its money directly from my account like a debit card. Still has all the same fraud protection and such.

Nibiru

Banned
Didn't want to start a new thread so hope I can get an answer in here.

What's the status on digital content purchased on the PS3? How is it being handled and is there the possibility of it carrying over at some point?

It depends on what they port but it seems when they port them if you bought them on ps3 then you will have em on ps4. It was like that with Flower. In other words I didn't have to repurchase it.

For those of you who are unable to download games in your library I found a work around:

Just go to your download list (Under your account name on the Playstation Store website)
Remotely downloading PS4 games to your library will work. If an install fails, delete the install and trigger the download from the store site. For some reason downloading warframe on the PS4 playstation store always corrupted doing this it worked fine.
I was also unable to download flower in my library without it crashing doing this also fixed that by triggering it remotely.

Enectic

Banned

INTERMITTENT ISSUES

I've ran into the same thing a few times. Mine is also from Amazon on 1.5. It's hooked up directly to my TV (LG).

Easy to test, hook up something else. Watch a Blu-ray movie through your PS3 or a dedicated player. If it works, it's not the TV.

Yep, works fine with my PS3 and 360. Literally never had an issue before. And the problem with the PS4 is very random...sometimes it works fine, sometimes I get a black screen. Not sure what to do.

Sykotik

I decided to go to Gamestop to see if anyone was waiting outside. There isn't anyone there, right now. The store hours sign says they open at 11am on Sundays, and stay open 'til 6pm. The problem is, last night, they said they won't be selling them until 9pm today. I find it hard to believe that they are going to stay open 3 hours over-time just to possibly sell 3 left-over pre-orders.

I don't know what to do. Any insiders have any knowledge of what they should be doing?

I'm glad I didn't listen to the idiot that told me 9pm. Got in there at 9:20, even though the sign clearly says 11am. They had one left, out of 3.

PLEASE DON'T BREAK.

Top Bottom