• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hardware Troubleshooting / Q&A Thread

on the official PS forums there's a thread with someone that talked to Customer Service, and they told him that an update is going to be released Tuesday, but made it seem like it was purely PSN issue related.

also: anyone having the clip recording issue that i'm having, try double-tapping the Share button to initiate a manual recording. then click it to end the recording and share that specific segment. i can't try now but will in a bit.

Jack_AG

Banned
Hey fellow PS4 owners!

My PS4 does not show the sub tabs on my UI anymore. So, when I go to "What's New", it doesn't load anything. On games, it doesn't let me load the menus for those anymore (like where it says Overview, Recent Activity, and Related Items). Do you guys know if this can actually be turned off or is it something that is just dead now?

Thanks guys!

No audio or video issues otherwise. I am using hdmi on a 42" tv.
My guess is that it's PSN related. All sub menus stopped working - something to note is that most of the info found is hanging on PSN. I'm assuming Sony disabled the feature from their end to smooth things out on PSN. It does not affect gaming, saves or broadcasting. Been broadcasting no problems to ustream most of the day.

I would assume until PSN servers stop getting hammered or Sony adds more to handle the load it will be re-enabled.

Jack_AG

Banned
How does the "play while downloading" work? I'm downloading Cod ghost but I still can't start it up and its on 45%
Developers have to enable it per game. There is no straight rule of thumb with this feature. A dev will have to front-load specific parts of a game to download first to let you start playing while the rest downloads. It will be different for every game depending on the requirements.

I dunno if this means anything, but I didn't see the HDMI link option on PS3 -- so I'm assuming this is a new option for PS4? It links your console to your TV, so if you turn on your PS4 it'll turn on the TV as well (and some other options) -- maybe that has something to do with it? Maybe the TV is not letting the PS4 work? You can disable the function in the TV menu and on the PS4.

I thought the official FAQ said external storage devices are not supported right now other than firmware stuff.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...tion-4-will-not-support-external-storage.aspx

Although this relates more to game stuff so not sure about videos/pics.

Sigh, it's what I thought as well. I'm just hoping it might work a little bit.

From the other topic I just posted.0

I was playing Killzone and the disc ejects while I'm playing. And it won't put the disc back in now. It's also making a ton of eject noises while it's on and I have to turn the unit off to get it to stop making eject noises.

I just spent six hundred bucks on this with some games and an extra dual shock 4. Seriously. What the hell. Also every store around me is now sold out around a near 200 mile radius.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Jack_AG

Banned
I dunno if this means anything, but I didn't see the HDMI link option on PS3 -- so I'm assuming this is a new option for PS4? It links your console to your TV, so if you turn on your PS4 it'll turn on the TV as well (and some other options) -- maybe that has something to do with it? Maybe the TV is not letting the PS4 work? You can disable the function in the TV menu and on the PS4.
PS3 has this also. Its just named differently. I dunno if it is an issue but my PS4 had this disabled by default.

I don't know if anyone came up with an actual cause or solution for PS4 wobble but here's what it is according to my observation.

There is a small rubber at the right end of PS4's floor. When the case was made, it wasn't made with rubber flooring in mind; at least it wasn't made with rubber flooring on only one end. Its a very small mistake that engineering overlooked.

The best way to permanently fix it is remove that rubber from the back of PS4. I may do it... may.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

I was playing Killzone and the disc ejects while I'm playing. And it won't put the disc back in now. It's also making a ton of eject noises while it's on and I have to turn the unit off to get it to stop making eject noises.

I just spent six hundred bucks on this with some games and an extra dual shock 4. Seriously. What the hell. Also every store around me is now sold out around a near 200 mile radius.

Unplug everything, wait 10 minutes, reconnect.

Schrade

If your system is having lockup issues or random crashes and whatnot, try doing the Initialize PS4 (Reinstall System Software) method.

This will wipe the current hard drive and reinstall the system software and also recreate the caching directory/partitions (no idea what they're using).

This will maximize your system to be the most stable with whatever hardware you have shipped.

WoolyNinja

Wipe the eject button make sure there's no gunk on it.

delta25

Banned
From the sounds of it, that the leading cause of all these problems is software related. So I think we can all take solace in knowing that the chances are high that are systems are fine and just in need of a firmware fix.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Well at the very least I'm glad I wasn't the only one the eject problem happened to.

I haven't been able to get any odd behavior today, so while it seems crazy some of the issues I had could be PSN related, I'm certainly going to try to use this thing as normal and see if things stay stable.

Does anyone else have a lump on the bottom of their system when it stands vertically? I bought the vertical stand and it will not fit flush because there is a smooth lump that prevents the little align posts from going in all the way on one side. I don't know if i should contact amazon for a replacement or sony.

Edit: nvm, with some work I got it to fit so I guess that's the way it is supposed to be! I was nervous for sure

Jack_AG

Banned
Does anyone else have a lump on the bottom of their system when it stands vertically? I bought the vertical stand and it will not fit flush because there is a smooth lump that prevents the little align posts from going in all the way on one side. I don't know if i should contact amazon for a replacement or sony.

Edit: nvm, with some work I got it to fit so I guess that's the way it is supposed to be! I was nervous for sure
There is a small protrusion towards the front side of the "bottom" of the console, yes.

Ricky_R

Hey guys... Has there been any discussion here about the loud fan or disc drive noise?

When I start any game (KZ or Knack in this case) the PS4 gets quite loud only after a few minutes of playtime. The console gets a bit hot too.

I have it placed in a standard TV set shelve where the breathing space is not too great, but it's not like it's too tight. Has anybody with a loud console placed in a similar shelve as mine tested it on top of the TV set to see if it doesn't get as loud?

I haven't been able to try and wanted to get some feedback.

Y2Kev

IF this is true (and I do not believe it), it would be a bad batch and not Amazon exclusive. There's no reason it would be exclusive to Amazon...and we've seen other stores have defective units.

The reality is there are 1 million PS4s out in the wild now. Amazon is one of the largest retailers in the US (and the world). They sold a shitton of PS4. They would therefore have the most defective PS4s.

Again, if this is true, the question becomes: a) Can Sony fix it? b) Has Sony already fixed it? c) How will Sony handle replacements?

Obviously there are lots of variables. If they handle it properly and quickly and painlessly replace units that need it, I think it will be ok. If this is a design problem that plagues the next 6 months of production batches, it's going to be incredibly damaging.

And that's my take on things.

yeah, i have a September unit from China like a bunch of other people, but all my HARDWARE seems fine. the SOFTWARE does not seem fine.

so i personally am just waiting for firmware updates and bug fixes, but as far as hardware concerned i don't think im a part of any specific 'bad batch'.

sony also says (on their forums) that the handshake problem has been fixed for some people by updating their TV firmware. so that's something that could possibly be fixed via a firmware update, but they'd obviously need to connect their PS4 to a TV that works so they can see the menu's etc.

Owzers

I've updated to firmware 1.5 and am online. I tried to launch Resogun after downloading it and it says:

Cannot start the application. PS4 is not connected to the internet and cannot verify the license for the application.

:O

Y2Kev

I've updated to firmware 1.5 and am online. I tried to launch Resogun after downloading it and it says:

Cannot start the application. PS4 is not connected to the internet and cannot verify the license for the application.

:O
You need to go to like preferences-> restore license.

delta25

Banned
Hey guys... Has there been any discussion here about the loud fan or disc drive noise?

When I start any game (KZ or Knack in this case) the PS4 gets quite loud only after a few minutes of playtime. The console gets a bit hot too.

I guess it all depends on what you consider loud, its by no means as quiet as the PS3 slim but its not anywhere near 360 noise levels.
As far as heat levels are concerned its perfectly normal for your system to get hot. The PS4 is rather small in size and having all the internal components all within close proximity of each other its bound to get hot.

Tried that now, but it only made my ps4 angrier.

edit: got it to work, i didn't have my system activated as my primary console.

thank you for posting this.

we need to add this to our GAF wiki. troubleshooting licenses should start with making PS4 your primary console, THEN using the restore licenses option.

note: when i initially setup my PS4, it asked me if i wanted to make it my primary PS4, and i said yes.

Pachinko

So out of my group of close friends, only 1 person bothered to snag a PS4 and hilariously it has a faulty disc drive right out of the box.

He's apparently got a shipping box on the way and sony gave him a 3 year extended warranty for his trouble.

I'm honestly kind of annoyed at the level of saltyness going around among owners of busted systems. Yes, you spent a bunch of money on a new gaming console but man, you people should realize by now that there will always be some level of failure with these things. The wii U had some bad units, the 3DS scratched its own screens, undoubtedly the xbox one will have a few duds. This shit just happens.

1 million systems shipped and "normal" failure rates for this stuff shouldn't exceed 2-5%. Hate to say it but even just 2% means at least 20,000 systems out there that aren't working right out of the box. We can all start worrying if people who have a working system right now suddenly get some hardware failures occurring in January. For now though, having systems with issues right out of the box , well sadly that's exactly how it's supposed to go with any device. It should either work or not work.

As with any device that has updatable firmware, you always run the risk of bricking your system if anything goes wrong in that process and with so many new owners all doing the same thing during the last 48 hours or so , there are bound to be a handful of duds created.

I fully understand it DOES suck for those who bought one already but unless you want to spend an extra 200$ on the console to allow for much more extensive testing on a per unit basis it just won't happen.

Ricky_R

I guess it all depends on what you consider loud, its by no means as quiet as the PS3 slim but its not anywhere near 360 noise levels.
As far as heat levels are concerned its perfectly normal for your system to get hot. The PS4 is rather small in size and having all the internal components all within close proximity of each other its bound to get hot.

Well, the noise is similar to the batch of PS3 slims (first slim version) that got pretty loud. Not as loud as the 360 drive though, as you said.

The problem is that I always read people saying that their slim was super quiet and mine got pretty loud. Like annoyingly loud at times.

I guess I will just have to try the slim again and then the PS4 soon after and compare. I will also pay more attention when I play for a longer period of time on the PS4 to see if it lowers its noise after a while.

zychi

Banned
Anyone know a way to turn off auto updating firmware, but still have the ps4 download updates for games? I feel like I'm overlooking the setting

delta25

Banned
Well, the noise is similar to the batch of PS3 slims (first slim version) that got pretty loud. Not as loud as the 360 drive though, as you said.

The problem is that I always read people saying that their slim was super quiet and mine got pretty loud. Like annoyingly loud at times.

I guess I will just have to try the slim again and then the PS4 soon after and compare. I will also pay more attention when I play for a longer period of time on the PS4 to see if it lowers its noise after a while.

at this point I wouldn't fret as long as the system doesn't sound like a jet airliner taken off I think you'll be fine.

Does anyone know how much power the PS4 draws in comparison to last gen systems?

Zee-Row

Banned
I have a weird problem with my PS4 that didn't happen until today. I'm playing the multiplayer on Killzone and my TV randomly switches to HDMI1 (PS4 is HDMI3). I played through the entire campaign the first 2 days with no problems and it just started doing it a few times today during my matches. I have a Samsung Smart TV.

Jedi2016

I guess it all depends on what you consider loud, its by no means as quiet as the PS3 slim.
Speak for yourself, mine's a LOT quieter than my Slim. The only noise it makes is the disc drive, and once that spins down, I can't hear it at all. The only way I know if the fan's spinning at all is to feel the warm air blowing out of the back of it.

I fully understand it DOES suck for those who bought one already but unless you want to spend an extra 200$ on the console to allow for much more extensive testing on a per unit basis it just won't happen.
The problem is the hype surrounding these particular types of devices. They're about the only kind of hardware that lots of people really look forward to having. I was thinking about this earlier, and the last piece of hardware I had fail quickly, and it took me a while to remember that it was actually the very last thing I bought... my new Blu-ray player. I got a new TV, and was upgrading from my old player to one that supported 3D playback. The one I bought had some issues after the first couple of days, so I took it back to the store and got another one. And, frankly, I didn't care one way or another about it, because it wasn't something that I'd been frantic to get my hands on for months and months, it was just another purchase. I was more upset at having to drive back to the store than I was over the fact that it was broken to begin with. But make it a game console that people have been biting their nails over for the better part of a year? Oh yeah... shit hits the fan when that thing don't work.

delta25

Banned
I have a weird problem with my PS4 that didn't happen until today. I'm playing the multiplayer on Killzone and my TV randomly switches to HDMI1 (PS4 is HDMI3). I played through the entire campaign the first 2 days with no problems and it just started doing it a few times today during my matches. I have a Samsung Smart TV.

sounds like you may have to update your TV

jaxpunk

I'm honestly kind of annoyed at the level of saltyness going around among owners of busted systems. Yes, you spent a bunch of money on a new gaming console but man, you people should realize by now that there will always be some level of failure with these things.

As with any device that has updatable firmware, you always run the risk of bricking your system if anything goes wrong in that process and with so many new owners all doing the same thing during the last 48 hours or so , there are bound to be a handful of duds created.

So what you saying is we should be happy Sony is gracious enough to sell us a faulty unit and shouldn't be annoyed by any issues?

The issues in my case being, the hdmi port wiggles enough that I question if it's even attached to anything inside. How much should I've paid for that to be tested?

Also let's talk about my two phone calls to get a coffin sent it. Saturday I waited on hold for 2 hours to hear someone clearly not speaking to me and then the line goes dead. Sunday I call and get someone after 1:30 on hold. Wasn't offered anything but a box in 3-5 days etc etc.

But I shouldn't be annoyed right, I mean Sony did give me the privilege of buying the PS4 after all?

delta25

Banned
Speak for yourself, mine's a LOT quieter than my Slim. The only noise it makes is the disc drive, and once that spins down, I can't hear it at all. The only way I know if the fan's spinning at all is to feel the warm air blowing out of the back of it.

what games have you played? When Playing Warframe the fan is so quiet I cant hear it from where I'm seated, but playing KZ:S after a few minutes it starts to rev up a bit, nothing distracting but you can defiantly hear it. Like I said it really depends on what we consider to be loud or quiet.

Owzers

resogun makes my ps4 fairly loud too, not terrible though, but enough to notice. My last straw would be netflix...streaming movies have to be quiest Xo

i'll try that tmw and see what happens

lucius

I should have asked this here:

I getting like 14 Mbps in my internet connection test with PS4 which is seems very low for wireless N since I get consistently around 40+ Mbps on my iPhone 5 on my wifi, I have Verizon Quantum. I reset the modem and tried other things, anyone else seeing similar speeds?

I am using WPA2 (AES) btw

jbartee

So out of my group of close friends, only 1 person bothered to snag a PS4 and hilariously it has a faulty disc drive right out of the box.

He's apparently got a shipping box on the way and sony gave him a 3 year extended warranty for his trouble.

I'm honestly kind of annoyed at the level of saltyness going around among owners of busted systems. Yes, you spent a bunch of money on a new gaming console but man, you people should realize by now that there will always be some level of failure with these things. The wii U had some bad units, the 3DS scratched its own screens, undoubtedly the xbox one will have a few duds. This shit just happens.

1 million systems shipped and "normal" failure rates for this stuff shouldn't exceed 2-5%. Hate to say it but even just 2% means at least 20,000 systems out there that aren't working right out of the box. We can all start worrying if people who have a working system right now suddenly get some hardware failures occurring in January. For now though, having systems with issues right out of the box , well sadly that's exactly how it's supposed to go with any device. It should either work or not work.

It's not the defective units that are the problem, it's the questionable manner in which customers are being dealt with.

Amazon selling new units in bundles before replacing the defective units of preorder customers is unacceptable.

Sony sending coffins at UPS ground speeds to replace or fix your console at their leisure (apparently several weeks to a month) is unacceptable.

People payed to have a system at launch. If we truly are looking at a small percentage of units (say, 1%) then it shouldn't be a huge problem to address in a timely manner. Servicing customers with DOA units should be the absolute first priority. At a minimum, Sony should overnight air people's dead consoles back to HQ. But really they should just immediately send out a replacement. The only valid excuse not to do this is if they really have no remaining stock, but come on: are we really supposed to believe that Sony doesn't have 10,000 units SOMEWHERE in the pipeline that they could redirect to replace failed consoles?

I had an issue where my controllers wouldn't sync to the Playstation 4 at all. Both the one that came with the system, and the one I purchased separately refused to ever sync up. I got a replacement at the Sony store, and now everything is working great.

Replacement system or controller?

delta25

Banned
At this point it almost seems like a good recommendation for anyone experiencing issues is to stop using the system and wait for a proper firmware fix.

Top Bottom