• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hardware Troubleshooting / Q&A Thread

Macattk15

Is it my imagination or does the extreme focus on always connected to PSN for so many basic functions seem like a form of DRM? Yes I get you can do singleplayer and it's nowhere near the clusterfuck the original XBone plan was geared towards, but it seems like many people are needing PSN to do much of anything at this point.

My girlfriend has been playing Knack for over an hour .... You had to figure PSN would have problems handling traffic on launch day ..

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Are you saying "Yes" that they're tied to a specific user?

If I wasn't clear, I was only asking if installing games w/o being logged into PSN would be okay to do (wouldn't create problems when I log on, etc.)

Well I just got in, so it's just being hammered for some people.

fallingdove

I still can't believe that the HDMI cable would brick the PS4.

When I first got it hooked up I booted it and I wasn't getting any video. So i unplugged the HDMI and replugged it. The second boot worked, it gave me the PS logo and everything and then it got to the screen where it tells you to connect your DS4 to the USB. As I was getting the USB out of the packaging the screen with blank and my console light was white. I held down the power button reboot it and i've never got to the boot logo again. Stupid flashing blue light of death.
It's not bricking the console it is just preventing video out.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Crappy pic, but you can see raised metal in the bottom of my HDMI port:

Any tips on how to push it back down in place, or should I even bother? I'm sort of afraid that even if I fix it myself this will pop up again in the future.

Does your console light turn white or does it stay blue after booting?

*Sigh* I just wish it would start working ._. even if it was for 30 mins i'd be content...I just wanted to experience BF4 on PS4.

K' Dash

Any tips on how to push it back down in place, or should I even bother? I'm sort of afraid that even if I fix it myself this will pop up again in the future.

would anyone point out what is wrong with a defective HDMI so I can look for it when I go pick up mine, please?

Blowdrum

Neo Member
The light on my PS4 is white, and I don't know why.

Everything is functioning perfectly. I can turn the thing on, the HMDI is working, and I'm connected to the internet. Anyone have any ideas as to why this may be happening?

Sean

Banned
Does your console light turn white or does it stay blue after booting?

It just pulses blue, I've never been able to get it to display an image and the light has never turned white once.

Tried getting into safe mode but it doesn't seem to work, never does the second beep. Only thing I haven't tried so far is removing the hard drive, gonna try that later.

Alright so, I have the Pulsing Blue light and if I hold the power button to try and get it into Safe Mode I get the second beep and nothing happens. This pretty much means I am totally boned right?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

Everything is functioning perfectly. I can turn the thing on, the HMDI is working, and I'm connected to the internet. Anyone have any ideas as to why this may be happening?

That means it is working, haha.

It just pulses blue, I've never been able to get it to display an image and the light has never turned white once.

Tried getting into safe mode but it doesn't seem to work, never does the second beep. Only thing I haven't tried so far is removing the hard drive, gonna try that later.

Pulsing blue means dead. Gotta send it in/return it/repair it.

Alright so, I have the Pulsing Blue light and if I hold the power button to try and get it into Safe Mode I get the second beep and nothing happens. This pretty much means I am totally boned right?

boned.

Isn't it supposed to be white? Mine is also.

Edit: Beaten

Hold up before you start pushing anything.

Isn't this what it's supposed to look like? I don't see either pin being raised higher than the other or are you talking about the thing in the middle? Because that isn't whats causing the problem according to most other posters.

KH0nq3e.jpg

That looks like a 100% normal HDMI port. Those prongs are so the cable stays in place.

Mashing

Does anyone know what a normal operating PS4 is supposed to do?

Mine doesn't even seem to kick on the fan until 1-2 minutes of trying to find video signal. Does the fan kick on immediately or only when the white light comes on (video initialized)?

____

Here's the kicker:

Paid w/ Amazon "Giftcard" so there wouldn't be any payment issues, and now I'm being told that they can't refund to my debit card (that paid for the giftcard on the same account/e-mail), only back as an Amazon giftcard. I rarely shop on Amazon. LOL this can't get any worse.

Tik-Tok

I seem to be experiencing Audio delays at random times.
While playing multiple different games (Killzone, NBA 2k14 several others) the audio is often desync'd from the lips.

Normally I'd assume it's just poor lip syncing and leave it at that, except other times the lip syncing seems perfect. This will happen during the same session.

Also, I'm fairly certain, that while playing Resogun, sometimes the audio coming from the speakers on my surround sound is desync'd from the audio that comes from the controller, again other times it's sync'd perfectly.

I'm running FW 1.5, hooked in to my Onkyo Receiver, audio is set to Linear PCM.

I haven't experienced anything like this with any of my other systems running through the receiver.

I'm not using the HDMI cable that came with the console but I doubt that's the issue.

yami4ct

UPS just delivered my PS4. Is there anything I could do to try avoid these problems beforehand. I will use my own hdmi cable.
If it's broken, it's broken. You could try a different HDMI cable to be sure the one in the box isn't the problem, but there isn't really any prevention.

jbartee

welp, since mine won't even go into safe mode I'm accepting my fate and concluding there's nothing wrong with the HDMI, therefore not worth risking the warranty by opening it up to poke around. BLOD = back to Amazon it goes. Much sadness.

BCydtZz.png

Only tears now.

RPG

Came in to post that I also have a BLOD from my Amazon order. On the 3rd boot attempt, I briefly got the PS logo to show up and then it flickered and went away. I left it on that black screen for 10 minutes and nothing happened. Attempted to cycle power and it has never come back up. Won't go into Safe Mode either.

Also, my Amazon shipment came in a 4x box with a ream of air pillows 'on top' of the PS4 box, but nothing underneath it...

RaikuHebi

Banned
welp, since mine won't even go into safe mode I'm accepting my fate and concluding there's nothing wrong with the HDMI, therefore not worth risking the warranty by opening it up to poke around. BLOD = back to Amazon it goes. Much sadness.

BCydtZz.png

Only tears now.
Try different cables, ports, TVs, take out the HDD.

sajj316

Came in to post that I also have a BLOD from my Amazon order. On the 3rd boot attempt, I briefly got the PS logo to show up and then it flickered and went away. I left it on that black screen for 10 minutes and nothing happened. Attempted to cycle power and it has never come back up. Won't go into Safe Mode either.

Also, my Amazon shipment came in a 4x box with a ream of air pillows 'on top' of the PS4 box, but nothing underneath it...

This is how mine came as well. Really shitty of them. What the hell is the point of air pillows if not used on both sides???

KillGore

I seem to be experiencing Audio delays at random times.
While playing multiple different games (Killzone, NBA 2k14 several others) the audio is often desync'd from the lips.

Normally I'd assume it's just poor lip syncing and leave it at that, except other times the lip syncing seems perfect. This will happen during the same session.

Also, I'm fairly certain, that while playing Resogun, sometimes the audio coming from the speakers on my surround sound is desync'd from the audio that comes from the controller, again other times it's sync'd perfectly.

I'm running FW 1.5, hooked in to my Onkyo Receiver, audio is set to Linear PCM.

I haven't experienced anything like this with any of my other systems running through the receiver.

I'm not using the HDMI cable that came with the console but I doubt that's the issue.

Exactly the same thing. It happened on killzone which is weird.

HORRORSHØW

I'm not getting any audio from my PS4 now. I had background music during my initial install, but after I turned it off and on, I get zero sound, either in the UI or in-game.

Firmware 1.5
From Amazon

It's from Amazon. Maybe they would send me a replacement since it's not a whole console and they should have plenty of DS4s in stock. I'll email them. Still, I will buy a new one tomorrow at Best Buy anyway because I don't want to wait to play. I'd eventually end up getting extras anyway.

Does your controller work for a bit and then stop? If so then Sony says it is the system itself that is broken and a new controller won't help. It is something to do with the Bluetooth connector. http://community.us.playstation.com...lease-Help/m-p/42138613/highlight/false#M1182

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
UPS just delivered my PS4. Is there anything I could do to try avoid these problems beforehand. I will use my own hdmi cable.

I am not sure, but I read somewhere that that the issues might be connected to people using their own HDMI cables? Somebody's unit worked after he used the packed cable. Does this pattern apply to the people in this thread?

jbartee

Try different cables, ports, TVs, take out the HDD.

Thanks, but I already tried all this. Many hours of slowly dying hopes and dreams. My PS4 is truly bricked. Appreciate the help though; just talking it out on GAF makes it a little less bitter.

McHuj

What color is the light supposed to be? It's blue when it boots up and then stays white. Is that what it's supposed to be?

Top Bottom