• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"PS4 is like a 5 years old PC and it’s really holding developers back"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to guess the former.

AI, physics, novel gameplay schemes, etc.
I'd like to believe that, but then we get new consoles with more power and that's mostly put to new shiny. Which is why this kind of plea falls on deaf ears for me.

Show me what you're trying to do but can't do, and that actually advances gameplay and I'll sympathize.

RAIDEN1

Only a matter of time before they soon start to talk about the PS4 Pro on these terms, this is just the beginning! ....

Just finished reading the article and outside of the horrible writing, isn't this an age old complaint devs have.

Just develop for PC, it's why they're there

Nev

Banned
Who the hell doesn't know that the PS4 is a 5 years old PC?

People can live without new shiny graphics you know? No one is living in some bizarro alternate reality where they think the PS4 is a high end machine, it's just that people don't mind staying with the hardware they bought 3-4 years ago, especially when we can create good looking realistic games on top of very stilized, timeless artstyles (nah who cares about that, 4K textures lolll gritty). Not to mention dev times are increasing to the point where 2+ years is the bare minimum for AAA.

Why tf do you want a new generation? To have some cross-gen nightmare? To wait 3 more years for titles to start releasing?

Go vent your CBD on clothes or iPhones, stop asking for something that will not benefit anyone except for selfish people who just wanna buy new shiny plastic to shelve them and go on internet forums claiming that "I'm bored of my new shiny plastic".

Fredrik

There are multiple ways to interpret what he is saying. "Man, consoles suck, PC 4 life!" is one way but I don't think it's accurate. I think he is saying that he wishes consoles had better hardware.
Of course. If people don't get what he's saying then what's the talk about when PS5 will arrive all about? If nothing is holding games back on PS4 then why do we need PS5?

He's seriously 100% right and everybody here should know that by now, otherwise I don't get what 50% of the discussions at this place is all about. Graphics, framerates, details, physics, AI, world sizes, the amount of characters on screen, world and character/cloth destruction etc etc. Everything could get better with better hardware.

And, I mean, I actually thought he was kind of nice to say that PS4 is like a 5 year old PC. 4 years ago I bought my first gaming PC, with a 780ti GPU and i7 4Ghz CPU. I don't think I need to explain that PS4 didn't even come close to matching that.

KageMaru

Then let's compare Horizon ZD. Probably the best comparison. I think most people would say the Horizon ZD holds it's own. I play Witcher on the pc maxed out and Horizon amazes me with what how it looks and run on a $400 box. But it's ok to disagree on the subject. Maybe I am jaded but nothing on my pc really blows me away anymore.

My point was that such comparisons are pretty pointless when looking at the games as a whole. Witcher will some things better while Horizon will do other things better. I too think that Horizon looks great, but that speaks more about the resources and talent of the studio and not about the hardware itself.

The way I see it developers,are struggling to meet the staggering fidelity seen in current tech.

I feel the same way. And to some extent they're proving they may not even need it.

For me, this generation is the first where I'm feeling the diminishing returns of performance increases. Zelda is a great example. Aging hardware managed to give me one of the best open world game experiences I've had in a very long time.

I'm going to need to see a real showstopper on the PC that convinces me the aging PS4 is a roadblock to my gaming experiences.

This is effectively the entire argument of the #pcmasterrace folks, and you know what? They're right. Yet people still buy up consoles.

Ah, the imaginary world were consoles don't exist, and people are forced to play on PC's... Universally worse for the consumer and the industry.

Just look at the vast swathes of the world were console gaming isn't really a thing - we aren't getting inundated with endless quality titles from these promised lands. It's mostly just the odd MMORPG or pay to win crap not that dissimilar to mobile games.

Fact is consoles don't hold back gaming at all, if anything they bring it up and push it forward each generation by providing a really solid baseline. They bring in a larger player base, and much more money.

In theory yes. But they wouldn't be modern day PCs where your average person has no idea what any of those components are.

No because just making a simple UI doesn't mean you know how to upgrade the CPU or the RAM or the GPU in a super easy way. Its why plug and go devices are so huge, you plug it in and only have to worry about software updates. If someone is able to make a form factor where you can just plug in and un plug boxes for these things that connect to an internal mother board they will have figured it out.

Oh you mean further foolproofing the process. By say having risers on components on the main board allowing what would essentially be building block PC. Which it already largely is. But basically instead of putting a GPU into a PCI-E slot. You'd have a box that you snap off/snap in that would basically just have the GPU inside for instance. I mean I get it, it's just wildly unecessary considering how easy it is to replace PC parts nowadays. I mean it's basically the tiniest step off of that right now. When people liken it to a adult Lego's they really aren't joking. You can find a two minute YouTube video on swapping out any part of a computer and it's really simple.

I guess there could be something to be said for a more limited scope of upgrade paths, so when they snap in the consoles OS automatically is able to determine the card and find updates. But Nvidia Experience and AMD Catalyst already do that too. So once again it's finding a solution where there isn't a large problem.

Fredrik

My point was that such comparisons are pretty pointless when looking at the games as a whole. Witcher will some things better while Horizon will do other things better. I too think that Horizon looks great, but that speaks more about the resources and talent of the studio and not about the hardware itself.
Yeah Horizon ZD is an impressive game for sure, but put the same team with a 1080ti targeting 30fps and it'll obviously be a much more impressive game. When comparing console games with PC games people tend to forget that PC games usually run at least twice as fast. I'm running Forza Horizon 3 at three 1080p screens (6000x1080) at 60-70 fps. It runs at 30fps at 1080p (1920x1080) on XB1. If the devs targeted 30fps on PC too they could obviously make it look even better

Lister

Banned
Ah, the imaginary world were consoles don't exist, and people are forced to play on PC's... Universally worse for the consumer and the industry.

Just look at the vast swathes of the world were console gaming isn't really a thing - we aren't getting inundated with endless quality titles from these promised lands. It's mostly just the odd MMORPG or pay to win crap not that dissimilar to mobile games.

Fact is consoles don't hold back gaming at all, if anything they bring it up and push it forward each generation by providing a really solid baseline. They bring in a larger player base, and much more money.

This is just utterly ignorant.

Just finished reading the article and outside of the horrible writing, isn't this an age old complaint devs have.

Just develop for PC, it's why they're there

Sure but what it comes down to is the market and clout. Generally PC is very misunderstood by the general consumer, even maligned. GAF is a pretty good example of that. It always amazes me just how jaded people here are when they have little to no understanding of it, and don't seem to care to learn in any shape or form, because they grew up with something different. It's the irony of closemindedness in a community that prizes themselves on being open-minded.

Only being open minded when you feel like it, isn't being open minded at all.

-Amon-

Sure but what it comes down to is the market and clout. Generally PC is very misunderstood by the general consumer, even maligned. GAF is a pretty good example of that. It always amazes me just how jaded people here are when they have little to no understanding of it, and don't seem to care to learn in any shape or form, because they grew up with something different. It's like an ultimate irony of closemindedness in a community that prizes themselves on being open-minded.

This is interesting. Not sharing an opinion = closemindess.

You sound like a blonde aired king talking to paesants.

Where did I saw that before ?

Lister

Banned
Jaguar cpu is holding everything back.

A ha! Now're we're getting to the bototm fo this.

AMD's CPU is what's holding us back. And who own's AMD? A bunch of investors, many of whom are probably asian! And who are these asian investors? Probably just rich business people, but some might be puppets for the North Korean Regime!

Kim-Jong-Un is holding back gaming people! Open your eyes!

Jaguar cpu is holding everything back.

It's definitely holding back Framerates. The PS4 and XboneX GPU's are actually very solid. The CPU just completely hamstrings their capabilities. It's a shame considering an Intel G4560 at $60 or a dual core I3 (for cost effectiveness) or now the new Ryzen CPU's absolutely just blow it out of the water at a respectable price. They really brought these devices into the market a bit too early if they couldn't get the CPU situation sorted before hand. Maybe they were worried there would be just too large of a performance gap and not leave as much for the new generation of consoles later. I don't know.

bigjig

Yeah Horizon ZD is an impressive game for sure, but put the same team with a 1080ti targeting 30fps and it'll obviously be a much more impressive game. When comparing console games with PC games people tend to forget that PC games usually run at least twice as fast. I'm running Forza Horizon 3 at three 1080p screens (6000x1080) at 60-70 fps. It runs at 30fps at 1080p on XB1. If the devs targeted 30fps on PC too they could obviously make it look even better

But the game wouldn't exist at all in that alternate universe. You need to develop a console at a price point that most people can afford to build an install base large enough to justify the tens of millions of dollars it would have cost to develop Horizon.

It's nice to want things, but gamers with a 1080TI are a niche within a niche that is not nearly large enough to recover the costs of development. There's a reason why you don't really see any graphically intensive PC exclusive games with the exception of perhaps Star Citizen (and even then that's because it's crowd funded to an extreme degree and set in space).

If this developer really cared that much about performance by all means go ahead and make the most graphically intensive game for the PC only. Who is forcing him to hold the game back by putting it on PS4? But of course he won't because that would be financial suicide.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Well uh, no one is forcing anyone to develop for PS4. Any developer unwilling to be 'held back' by it can just develop the most powerful game ever for the PC if they want to.

JordanN

Banned
Lets pretend PS4 is holding back PC.

What changes? Games aren't going be made faster. Prices will likely remain the same. AAA Publishers continue to AAA. But you get marginally prettier visuals though, so yay?!?!

I trust the company that's been making consoles since 1994 and continues to enjoy overwhelming success because of it to know what's best for the industry.

This is interesting. Not sharing an opinion = closemindess.

You sound like a blonde aired king talking to paesants.

Where did I saw that before ?

Not sharing an opinion = closemindedness? I'm confused where I stated something like that.

It's the same if you're a PC exclusive game who refuses to touch or aknowledge the merits and potential of consoles. I'm just saying being close minded and refusing to approach or learn about new things is a bad attitude to have.

Lets pretend PS4 is holding back PC.

What changes? Games aren't going be made faster. Prices will likely remain the same. AAA Publishers continue to AAA. But you get marginally prettier visuals though, so yay?!?!

I trust the company that's been making consoles since 1995 and continues to enjoy overwhelming success because of it to know what's best for the industry.

Assumably for most people it's the move to better performance actually. Going to 60fps has been a big and great push for the industry. It won't be that long until our TV's are able to accept native 120hz signals too. Some higher end TV's already do. And with tihings like adaptive sync, the benefits for pushing frames continue. I think a lot of people may not care about getting more than 30fps. But Alot of enthusiasts do, and enthusiasts play a large part on promoting and shaping the future. They're the trend setters.

Lister

Banned
But the game wouldn't exist at all in that alternate universe. You need to develop a console at a price point that most people can afford to build an install base large enough to justify the tens of millions of dollars it would have cost to develop Horizon.

It's nice to want things, but gamers with a 1080TI are a niche within a niche that is not nearly large enough to recover the costs of development. There's a reason why you don't really see any graphically intensive PC exclusive games with the exception of perhaps Star Citizen (and even then that's because it's crowd funded to an extreme degree and set in space).

If this developer really cared that much about performance by all means go ahead and make the most graphically intensive game for the PC only. Who is forcing him to hold the game back by putting it on PS4? But of course he won't because that would be financial suicide.

Well, at the very least you could be freed from the terrible CPU limitaitons of consoles, you just need to build some level of GPU scalability in the game, like eveyr game ever on PC or that was meant to be put on multiple platforms.

You don't need to target the million or more 1080 owners out there. You could instead target a game to a 1070, have it scale well to a 1050ti (or equivalent) and scale up to a 1080ti. and cover a massive market place, larger than any single console.

Of course the question then becomes how to reach that market with your game, etc. as usual.

Wait, this $200 console that came out 3 years isn't as powerful as a 2017 PC?! Say it ain't so, Mr. Dev Guy! Oh well, back to being amazed by Horizon.

-Amon-

Not sharing an opinion = closemindedness? I'm confused where I stated something like that.

It's the same if you're a PC exclusive game who refuses to touch or aknowledge the merits and potential of consoles. I'm just saying being close minded and refusing to approach or learn about new things is a bad attitude to have.

It looks like I've read too much in your first post, and completely misunderstood it.

Apologies.

Nope. Theres exactly 1 pc game with tech better than the best console games, and that game may not ever even release

Well considering engines aren't typically written to be used on a single platform. I'm not sure what you're trying to say. There's some pretty big differences still in terms of potential and performance.

Ponn

Banned
I mean, you could pretty much say this about any 5+ year old console and it would apply..

They have been, for multiple generations now. You just have new generations of gamers with each cycle and the hardcore graphics gamers who can never let it go.

KingBroly

Banned
I'm simply not seeing a reason for anyone to move past PS4 anytime soon. Graphics are nice, sure, but I'm not seeing much in the way of 'why this can only be done on X or Y' right now.

hesido

The original Engadget article is talking about an OG PS4, not a Pro. No idea where techstunt inferred that from.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/11/the-passion-behind-the-prison-break-in-a-way-out/

Also, weird comment considering their game is also meant to come out on an even weaker OG Xbox 1 as well.

I do think console cpu's are very anemic, but they talk as if everybody with PC's upgrade their gear every two years or something. If there were no console business and people with similar budgets had to buy PC's (and consoles still provide a nice bang per buck), he'd still need to cater to pc's from 5 years if he wanted to sell games to a wider audience).

HeelPower

I feel the same way. And to some extent they're proving they may not even need it.

For me, this generation is the first where I'm feeling the diminishing returns of performance increases. Zelda is a great example. Aging hardware managed to give me one of the best open world game experiences I've had in a very long time.

I'm going to need to see a real showstopper on the PC that convinces me the aging PS4 is a roadblock to my gaming experiences.

I agree.

Even Persona 5 is one of the best looking and playing games out now ,and its built on PS3 tech.

It far exceeds FFXV,a game that boasted far more advanced tech in every aspect.

Lister

Banned
I do think console cpu's are very anemic, but they talk as if everybody with PC's upgrade their gear every two years or something. If there were no console business and people with similar budgets had to buy PC's (and consoles still provide a nice bang per buck), he'd still need to cater to pc's from 5 years if he wanted to sell games to a wider audience).

But in terms of CPU power even 5 year old PC's would compare favorably. That's the issue. You're right in terms of GPU's though.

I think one of the problems when you look at closely, is that a PC built five years ago, likely had a CPU that is still markedly better than the console CPU's which are just being released five years later. The only excuse really is keeping costs down, but considering how much it's holding the newest lines back I'm not sure it was a good choice at all. We also know for instance they held back HDR Blu-ray payers from PS4 because it would add $8 to manufacturing and they felt it wouldn't be worth it for consumers. So maybe a better CPU, like an I3 or G4560 for instance only would have cost them an extra say $20. But they decided for their consumers it was an unnecessary expense.

This guy is full of crap. PS4 isn't holding anything back.

It's not like PC exclusives don't exist and I haven't seen anything on the PC exclusive front to suggest PS4 is way behind and holding PC back. Sounds like PCMR bullshit and that's sad coming from a dev. I own a high-end rig and a PS4 Pro and I never feel like I'm going back in time when I play games on my Pro. The graphics on my PC are obviously better but other than that I feel like I'm still getting a quality experience on the PS4.

AmyS

Future PlayStation and Xbox consoles in 2020 (at the earliest) or 2021 (at the latest). I'd bank on it.

We need at least a 10x leap in overall performance from 2013 XBone, and close to that from base PS4.

Koyuga

If developers want to push past the limits of consoles, they can make a game for PC. It is way too early for new consoles, give it 2-3 more years at least.

NimbusD

Depends on what they mean. Are they talking about architecture and tools? That's a problem. Of its raw power... Nah dude, you're just uncreative and can't figure out how to work with what you've got. You're making games not interactive cinema.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom