• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 passes 63.3 million shipped (as of June 30)

dracula_x

Music

IFhNrYn.png

Physical and Streaming are up, Download - down

QT0ZxwJ.png

btw, related to physical releases – https://thevinylfactory.com/news/sony-pressing-records-japan/

Sony Music will resume pressing records for the first time in almost thirty years, when it opens a new plant in Japan's Shizuoka Prefecture in March 2018.

also:

u2jBMNF.png

------

Unit sales of key products

y34c2En.png

jayu26

It is good to see an electronics/entertainment company making money from electronics and entertainment and not rely on financial sector. Now if Kaz can get Pictures division on track everything will be in black. Not bad for Kaz, not bad at all.

yurinka

Not a chance. It won't even pass Wii
There are exactly 0 zero reasons to think it won't surpass Wii.

I bet it will outsell Wii less than a year away (maybe at March 2020) of the PS5 launch, and like all previous PlayStations did after the launch of their successor, it will continue selling some years more after that.

And this prediction would be ifafter shipping 18 consoles this FY they only would manage to ship 25M more the next two FY, even considering that during this period Spiderman, TLOU 2, God of War, Kindom Hears, Kojima's new IP, RDR 2, GTA 6, Shenmue III or FFVIIR would be released, its price would be cut and a slimmer PS4 Pro would be released.

And I think it makes sense to think they will ship more than 25M consoles between March 2018 and March 2020.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
No.

Wii was at 73.97 million at this point in its life.

The PS4 forecast for this year (18m units) would only get PS4 about 3m units toward closing the 10m unit gap vs. Wii's FY3/2011 sales (15.08m sales). I'm more curious what the drop will be like next year if we maintain Sony's expectations that PS4 peaked last year.

I fully expect Sony to remain behind Wii until the point in Wii's life that Wii U was introduced. How far it goes after that depends entirely on how long the software support continues/when a hypothetical PS5 comes out. Wii's worthwhile software pipeline was basically done two years before Wii U launched, so PS4 is going to be working from an inherent positional advantage due to the inevitability of sustained third-party support.

so, Wii is still nº1.

Loris146

As i said before if we are talking about sold through numbers this is the best year for PS4 (from Jan to June). Holiday season will be interesting , as usual.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
No.

Wii was at 73.97 million at this point in its life.

The PS4 forecast for this year (18m units) would only get PS4 about 3m units toward closing the 10m unit gap vs. Wii's FY3/2011 sales (15.08m sales). I'm more curious what the drop will be like next year if we maintain Sony's expectations that PS4 peaked last year.

I fully expect Sony to remain behind Wii until the point in Wii's life that Wii U was introduced. How far it goes after that depends entirely on how long the software support continues/when a hypothetical PS5 comes out. Wii's worthwhile software pipeline was basically done two years before Wii U launched, so PS4 is going to be working from an inherent positional advantage due to the inevitability of sustained third-party support.

Even with this, look at 2012, 2013 for 1st party PS3 games. Just first party alone I expect Sony to support the PS4 better than Nintendo did the Wii.

yurinka

so, Wii is still nº1.
At this point of their lifetime yes, but Wii had an stunning start during its first years but peaked and was discontinued faster compared to all the PlayStation consoles, who always have a way longer lifetime than Nintendo home consoles.

Looking at LTD numbers Wii is the 3rd best selling home console, PS1 and PS2 outsold it.

it's hard to say how it will finish since the lifespan of consoles is potentially not what it was 15 years ago. Will be interesting to see how the PS4's tail years behave. PS1 and PS2 moved a ton of hardware in that time frame.

Even with this, look at 2012, 2013 for 1st party PS3 games. Just first party alone I expect Sony to support the PS4 better than Nintendo did the Wii.

Yes, absolutely. But it'll pass Wii thanks to being supported for longer and by more publishers, not because it's a cultural phenomenon that's growing the market.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
At this point of their lifetime yes, but Wii had an stunning start during its first years but peaked and was discontinued faster compared to all the PlayStation consoles, who always have a way longer lifetime than Nintendo home consoles.

Looking at LTD numbers Wii is the 3rd best selling home console, PS1 and PS2 outsold it.

yeah, but i think PS4 will not have enough gas like other PSs because of the more outdated hardware for its time. i bet PS5 (with backwards compatibility) will almost kill PS4 on arrival...

yurinka

yeah, but i think PS4 will not have enough gas like other PSs because of the more outdated hardware for its time. i bet PS5 (with backwards compatibility) will almost kill PS4 on arrival...
There are many generations where the best selling console wasn't the most powerful one, and all PS consoles had good sales and game releases after releasing the previous consoles.

As PS4 Pro sales also prove, to have a new, more powerful console only drive sales for some of the most tech savvy hardcore players who traditionally are early adopters.

I think console players mostly decide to buy a console or not if their favorite IPs are there or not, and if the console has an appealing price. Mostly 1st party in case of Nintendo, and mostly 3rd party in case of the others. And after that, if their friend have this console or the one from the competition.

Dev cycles become more and more expensive and long every generation, to the point that many AAA teams will be only able to release a couple of games this gen. Some of them will need extra time to release this second and maybe a third game with their engine and resources in order to be able to get the invested needed to jump to this gen back.

The tiny minority of the gaming market who wants the highest end graphics already have a PC and are a minority even between Steam players (not counting here the big social and casual games market outside Steam) as we see in Steam statitstics. During the 2nd half of a console cycle, when they are able to lower its price enough (with PS4 they will be able to go under $200, something they couldn't with PS3), they focus more the family market instead of the most hardcore one they focus during the first half. This also allows Sony to focus certain markets like some Latin American countries where before this points consoles are too expensive for them.

it's hard to say how it will finish since the lifespan of consoles is potentially not what it was 15 years ago. Will be interesting to see how the PS4's tail years behave. PS1 and PS2 moved a ton of hardware in that time frame.
Don't need to go back to 15 years ago. Just look at the lifespan of PS3, still alive after 11 years in the market. Lifespan of all PlayStation home consoles is 10+ years old. This means PS4 would be in the market at least until 2023.

Behlel

If this is a key factor why the ps4 pro isn't outselling the slim? People don't give a shit about the power, what matter is the software and the price.

killatopak

Gold Member
I think as an x86 system, it'll be easy to get support a few years more down the line. However, I think only yearly games such as NBA, Fifa and possibly COD would get support as most would jump ship tp the next system. I don't think it's such a far fetched theory as even the PS3 is still getting those kind of games. Only time will tell if that will help it reach PS2 levels but odds are against it unless they can make bargain bin level price.

Somewhere in America in a random cafe, Don Matrick and Yusuf Mehdi are seated at a table, sipping their respective lattes and, repeating the word "TV" to each other over, and over, and over again...

Great job Sony. You deserve the market share because you gave your customers what they wanted.

Regardless of the hardware spec, the PS4 is the market leader so the devs will continue to support it until Sony is ready to move on, which isn't any time soon. There are still so much the devs can do on the PS4's "outdated" hardware. I mean, we're getting to the point of playing game with "Toy Story" graphics now.

thelastword

Banned
China growth y/y is big*, and justifies the huge amount of attention Sony as a whole are putting on it.

*Smaller base, but it's already larger than 'other areas' and out of AP I think it should be near South Korea

aiAJTeI.png
Are you Michael Pachter? the name caught me.....

Unknown?

How does this compare to how many Xboxs were shipped that quarter? Or do MS not even provide shipment info at all, even in financial briefings?

noobie

Banned
I Think current quarter June - September is quite interesting. With dragon Quest releasing in Japan and destiny 2 in West, we can expect another strong quarter. Last year Sony did 3.9 million during that quarter of they can pull more than 3.6 million this time than they may revise up their forecast for year end.

But With PlayStation VR not getting much success and low probability of price drop I think matching 20 million will not be possible.

Regardless of the hardware spec, the PS4 is the market leader so the devs will continue to support it until Sony is ready to move on, which isn't any time soon. There are still so much the devs can do on the PS4's "outdated" hardware. I mean, we're getting to the point of playing game with "Toy Story" graphics now.
He keeps saying outdated as if he trying to prove a point. All this shit is outdated.

ch4fx_

How does this compare to how many Xboxs were shipped that quarter? Or do MS not even provide shipment info at all, even in financial briefings?

MS only releases relevant information such as monthly active users, hours streamed, & how many miles were driven in Forza.

Actual console sales are a thing of the past.

Fangdangle

Neo Member
Somewhere in America in a random cafe, Don Matrick and Yusuf Mehdi are seated at a table, sipping their respective lattes and, repeating the word "TV" to each other over, and over, and over again...

Great job Sony. You deserve the market share because you gave your customers what they wanted.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not here, but the tv part was the least of the Xbox1 problems, especially in mainland Europe where Microsoft treats customers like second class citizens plus the NSA Kinect spy camera put a lot of Germans off Xbox for good.

Kolx

Another notes about those results :

- Sony Corporation made an operating income of 157,6 billion yen (1,42 billion dollars) during april-june 2017, that's the new record of the company for any Q1.

- Sony Corporation is targeting an operating income of 500 billion yen (4,53 billion dollars) for the fiscal year. If it succeeds, this would be the second biggest operating income of its history since the 520 billion yen (4,71 billion dollars) in 1998, the year of Gran Turismo and Men in Black (the movie).

Why is there a focus on operating income instead of net income?

They are close to what the PS3 and the X36 achieved before their end cycle. It's mighty impressive. I wonder how will this affect Sony's plans for their next gen console. In term of power, developers have not been complaining about current consoles like last gen. There is ample amount of RAM and the GPUs were not that underpowered relatively speaking. The PS4 pro improves things significantly so does the XOX when it releases. The industry is heading into uncharted territory. One thing that is true is that the old concept of what a console generation is supposed to be is blurring for better or worse.

Gxgear

If we're just past the halfway point of this console cycle (maybe), I can see PS4 crank out another 30-40mil.

Shin-Ra

Uncharted's probably SIE's strongest WW IP for merchandise so the impact on the year-ago quarter was even greater.

slightly more info about Sony Pictures division:

FZYRwAr.png
saulgoodman.png
My man ^

I subbed to Netflix for a couple of months (plus a freebie month) just for Better Call Saul.

Loved the ps4 since day 1, I was one of those that was all 360 last gen, But they made it impossible to get aboard the X1 before release so i switched, Now have the PS4pro and the PSVR.

Gurish

Looking at their track record, usually around at least 3-4 years post-new console. They only just stopped manufacturing PS3's earlier this year.

Yup, that's why it's ridiculous that some (very few though) still seems to think PS4 won't surpass the Wii, it's got so many more selling cycles and price cuts to go through, it will get eventually if I needed to make an estimation to around 125-130 (in 2022-3) when all is said and done. XB1 will get to around 50. Overall around 160M just like PS3+360 only this time Sony will obviously make up for most of that number.

Dynomutt

It fascinates me how many people are still buying PS4's. Anecdotal but was in Gamestop this past weekend and while I was there 1 person wanted a Pro and a PSVR, and a few came in to trade Xbox One for a PS4. I felt like everyone who owns a PS4 already does but their is still so many people who can buy one.

When Sony hit $199 instant buy price they have a chance to move even more units. Bring on CTR as well.

bombshell

We only got some numbers from MS in the very beginning of this gen, but as soon as they saw how much PS4 was beating the Xbox One they stopped giving any hardware numbers.

We did get a juicy NPD leak recently, with US console sales numbers for all of 2016 and first six months of 2017, linked below.

2016 (12 months)
2017 (6 months)

From the 2017 numbers we get this last quarter's US sales.

PS4
Apr-Jun '17: 774,625

XB1
Apr-Jun '17: 372,469

This is of course sold through to consumers, so not directly relevant to the PS4 shipped number in this thread, and it's in Xbox One's by far most competitive market. Xbox had a very bad June.

Just imagine how bad it looks in EU when it looks like this in US...

We only got some numbers from MS in the very beginning of this gen, but as soon as they saw how much PS4 was beating the Xbox One they stopped giving any hardware numbers.

We did get a juicy NPD leak recently, with US console sales numbers for all of 2016 and first six months of 2017, linked below.

2016 (12 months)
2017 (6 months)

From the 2017 numbers we get this last quarter's US sales.

PS4
Apr-Jun '17: 774,625

XB1
Apr-Jun '17: 372,469

This is of course sold through to consumers, so not directly relevant to the PS4 shipped number in this thread, and it's in Xbox One's by far most competitive market. Xbox had a very bad June.

Just imagine how bad it looks in EU when it looks like this in US...

Is the US still accounting for about 60% of the XO's sales? Because if so, fuck me that's way lower than I'd assumed!

bombshell

Is the US still accounting for about 60% of the XO's sales? Because if so, fuck me that's way lower than I'd assumed!

I'm not up to date with the NPD PS4 and Xbox One LTD's and without any Xbox One numbers from MS it makes it difficult.

But yeah, I think the consensus is still pretty much that US accounts for roughly 60% of Xbox and only roughly 30% of PS4, which puts the above US numbers even more into perspective.

Bigger reason for longevity of successful Sony consoles is their reach in developing markets.

Yeah, that's another really big reason.

They still do pretty well at sustaining sales late in life in their primary markets, though, and that's all up to basically letting third-party publishers drive their software business.

jdmonmou

Pro was still needed for the 4K push.

4K is whats hot right now, and they would have looked like idiots pedaling 1080p and lower while MS would be doing native 4K. I know I would switch my main console if one of them was last gen as fuck while the other was actually supporting my TV's res.

I still think the Pro was unnecessary because 4K TVs aren't being adopted by the mass market just yet. A lot of people think that PS5 in 2018 is too soon because of the Pro was just released last year. People wouldn't think PS5 in 2018 is crazy if it weren't for the Pro.
While game sales have increased the money Sony makes off console sales is declining and the Pro at $400 isn't helping much since most people would rather buy the cheaper Slim model or used. Sony should've just released their 4K console as the PS5 in holiday 2018 that would've been more powerful than Xbox One X.

Do you plan on switching your main console to Xbox One X since that will be the most powerful console for some time?

mejin

I still think the Pro was unnecessary because 4K TVs aren't being adopted by the mass market just yet. A lot of people think that PS5 in 2018 is too soon because of the Pro was just released last year. People wouldn't think PS5 in 2018 is crazy if it weren't for the Pro.
While game sales have increased the money Sony makes off console sales is declining and the Pro at $400 isn't helping much since most people would rather buy the cheaper Slim model or used. Sony should've just released their 4K console as the PS5 in holiday 2018 that would've been more powerful than Xbox One X.

Do you plan on switching your main console to Xbox One X since that will be the most powerful console for some time?

I can't say if you are serious or just trolling. You're disconnected from reality.

I just saw Sony Pictures is going full anime with the acquisition of Funimation for 150M$. We don't have this in Europe, does that work like Crunchyroll of is it only a distributor of DVD/Blu-ray ?

Top Bottom