• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro patches won't cost users money, like duh

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm honestly not inclined to believe that user would have to pay for the Pro patch because that would mean publishers would charge more for the games in the first place because there's going to be a PS4 Pro Mode and a regular PS4 mode.

It wouldn't make any sense. It'd be close to charging people for patches that fix broken quests and make things run smoother.

S1kkZ

every game releasing after mid october has to support pspro out of the box.
so if they really charge money (which i dont think will happen), it will be for older titles.

Torokil

PS4 pro, more like PS4 poo, because the whole thing stinks!

Sony isn't going to do this, Microsoft would definitely pounce on that

III-V

Well it is no news that devs have to pay for patches. So I assumed that they were planning to pass the buck to consumers.

GulAtiCa

Submitting patches on consoles is generally not free as they need testing by the platform holder, etc before they can go live on PSN/Xbox Live. (The first patch for a title is usually free - unless things have changed in recent years?)
I'm pretty sure patches these days are free. (I know Nintendo 3rd party patches are 100% free). Pretty sure Xbox One/PS4 got rid of that dumb system of paying for submitting patches.

Understandable. If devs are going back and doing significant work, it has to be worth their while.

Still, I doubt too many old games will be getting any Neo updates.

FFMafia

When I upgrade a pc component, I don't need to pay for a patch for better graphics. This idea can't be true. Probably miscommunication. Maybe Ito thought the fee question was assuming the developers have to pay to certify or something

I can vaguely picture a scenario where third parties have the right to ask a fee for a Pro patch if they think the amount of work deserve to be paid. But Infamous, Uncharted 4 and The Last Guardian asking for a price to run on Pro ? I'll believe it when I see it.

There's not a chance in hell that a developer charges for "Pro mode" features. Sony (or anyone else) would be out of their mind to even allow it.

What fee do developers pay?

I seem to remember reading somewhere there was a game on either PS or Xbox and the devs came forward and said something like they wouldn't be patching the game because it costs $20k or something like that for them to upload it to PSN/XBL.

Someone please find this thread/game, I'm sure I am not imagining this.

ItsDorf

Banned
Surely this refers to a fee for developers not users?

Even if this is the case it's stupid as hell. So developers will say hope not going to update those titles and cost us money without getting something in return.

Sony loses because consumers don't feel there is enough games work investing in buying.

Patches should never be charged for! This is the cost of doing business. Sony already makes a profit on the game sales from developers. I understand how certification works but something there is off anyway when games like 7 days and more constantly release patches that break more than they fix.

I'm really confused by what this means. Does it mean we have to pay for patches? Or does it mean that the companies have to pay (like normal) to put out a new patch? I'm pretty sure its the latter but now I'm confused.

spwolf

Even in the case of charging pubs, in this special case this should be waived as this forward compatibility stuff is in their own interest as well.

likely difference between free or not for developers, would be if patch contains other things or just PS4 Pro stuff.

That would be my thinking.

Of course, we are talking about developers and them paying Sony for releasing a patch (Testing).

NewDust

Even in the case of charging pubs, in this special case this should be waived as this forward compatibility stuff is in their own interest as well.

Your not wrong, but Ito stating that it depends on the licensing agreement makes me feel they just don't want to give out a "blanket free patch" to every game. If dev's have the idea to create a ps4pro patch, surely they can work something out with Sony.

KorrZ

I'm assuming this just refers to developers having to pay for certification to release the patch, as they already have to do...correct?

Z3M0G

Doesn't article simply say it is up to the developer/publisher, and that is only fair?

Sony is not at fault here.

Edit: Read it again. I misunderstood some things. I'm still not worried though. Sony may charge publishers for the cost of certification and such, that is probably what we are talking about here.

Read again.

Why would Sony charge publishers fhough?
Sony charges publishers for certification of patches on bigger games, though I can see they might waive this on certain titles in order to make the Pro more appealing. I cannot see them ever charging consumers for patches, they don't even have the infrastructure to do that at the moment. The closest I can think is we might see some expanded rereleases like Dead or Alive 5 Last Round or Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, where the new version has full Pro support while the old one does not.

Vashetti

Banned
Everything thinking the cost is to us, are you dense?

The mentioned potential cost is for devs/pubs to submit patches.

RK9039

I seem to remember reading somewhere there was a game on either PS or Xbox and the devs came forward and said something like they wouldn't be patching the game because it costs $20k or something like that for them to upload it to PSN/XBL.

Someone please find this thread/game, I'm sure I am not imagining this.

Yeah I remember that too, but I thought MS and Sony dropped those fees ages ago.

OCD Guy

how would you even pay for a patch? this isnt in proper context.

They present it as "dlc" on the PSN Store.

Infamous Second Son Pro DLC

This content enables you to play the game at 60fps and adds HDR mode.

$19.99 ADD TO CART

Please note: This content is only for PS4 Pro

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Charging publishers/developers? Good luck getting them to agree to upgrade their game. There is no reason for them to go the extra mile once the game is already out.

This is a bad idea, period.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Everything thinking the cost is to us, are you dense?

The mentioned potential cost is for devs/pubs to submit patches.
So Sony itself pays to itself and that is somehow surfaced to potential buyers in an interview?

What's Ito's cost center number?

Occam

Sound like publishers, not end users. And in this specific case, I think it would be a good idea to waive the fee, to encourage old games being patched.

smurfx

get some go again
you would think sony would wave all fees for the patch for developers since they would be doing sony a huge favor by updating old games. that gives people incentive to buy the ps4 pro.

Wiped89

The Last Of Us (PS3): A graphical powerhouse, a must buy!
The Last of Us Remastered (PS4): That old PS3 version looks terrible. Buy literally the same game again with better graphics.
The Last of Us Remastered 4K Mode (PS4 Pro): That old 1080p version looks terrible. Buy this patch for better graphics in 4K.

In 3 years time:
The Last Of Us: Ultimate Remaster (PS5): That old upscaled 4K version looks terrible. Buy it again, now in Native 4K!

..and so on. Forever.

Hey, it works for home video releases!

SenkiDala

Why people are angry? English is not my mother language but it seems to me that they're saying that if someone pay, it'll be the publisher, no? It doesn't sounds like it's the consumer who's gonna pay. Am I wrong?

Rodin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom