• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro patches won't cost users money, like duh

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would be the incentive as a developer to make a patch for the pro if they're going to be charged for it? Anyone have a Russian translation?

UrbanRats

Wait if this is indeed for publishers, why do they mention Sony interactive having to pay for patches? And why would it change from title to title?

Droog

I'm pretty sure patches these days are free. (I know Nintendo 3rd party patches are 100% free). Pretty sure Xbox One/PS4 got rid of that dumb system of paying for submitting patches.

Wow, that's generous if so. Certification used to cost quite a lot and I'm sure the platform holders used to make a fair bit of cash that way. I guess they recoup costs in other areas these days...

xion4360

They present it as "dlc" on the PSN Store.

Infamous Second Son Pro DLC

This content enables you to play the game at 60fps and adds HDR mode.

$19.99 ADD TO CART

Please note: This content is only for PS4 Pro

Then that would be DLC not a Patch. There is no way that any game would have the pro mode patched in any way that would require payment outside of you buying a ps4 pro. the ps4 pro is not allowed to give you features not available to all ps4 users outside of visual enhancements and that is just not something you pay for.

oti

Banned
This thread will be going places because of a communication mistake
and it will be glorious

Arttemis

This sounds like he's referring to the cost to the DEVELOPERS, not the PLAYERS. That said, I thought Sony removed the cost for developer updates/patches in some situations?

I remember, years ago, there was a damning article about MS where smaller devs couldn't afford to patch their own game after an unforeseen glitch passed certification. I think after that, a game's first patch was complimentary on MS systems.

Charging players for taking advantage of a hardware boost they already paid for is atrocious. If there's no patch on a certain game, allow people to specify what clock speed to run it on, instead of forcing stock-PS4 specs (if the downclocking thing is confirmed).

Hip Hop

This seems like a mistranslation..
Pretty sure he's talking about charging the dev for the patch or I'll eat my hat.
Is it?
Why would it vary that they will charge internal first party studios? It is their studios.

Makes no sense.

It makes more sense that it seems they will ask for a fee from players depending on the title.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I wasn't aware of this. Any links, so I can include this in the OP for future posters.
Of course this is more recent so it needs to be clarified anyway.

There's this:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...ion-4k-neo-and-the-original-ps4-will-co-exist

The bit about "no extra costs associated in running titles on a different console."

Of course we could now hyper analyse that and start splitting hairs over whether that means 'just running' or 'running with enhancements also'.

In any event, patches are only relevant to legacy games, pre-Oct. Any new games are not being patched for Pro, and cannot be patched with a Pro-mode after the fact, so even if patches were chargeable, it wouldn't be something that affects games going forward. But I really don't think it is intended to allow charges on patches for older games...

NewDust

What would be the incentive as a developer to make a patch for the pro if they're going to be charged for it? Anyone have a Russian translation?

Patches cost money anyway (cost of labour). The added fee is for certification, and slightly as a deterrent to release broken games. Developers would either patch games in hope to get more revenue of a released title, get experience with new technical solutions or create goodwill for upcoming titles.

OCD Guy

People saying that we don't understand. Look at the question and answer again.

For the 4K HDR patch for existing titles, will it cost money? Or will it be free?

Ito: It will be different for each title. I believe it will depend on the thinking of each licensee

The response from Ito insinuates that a fee will be down to the discretion of the licensee. I.E the developerpublisher

If there was a set fee for developers, then it wouldn't change "just because".

hemo memo

Gold Member
Lol at people actually thinking this is talking about gamers this is obviously talking about the developers and costing them money

Cost money to publishers/developers, then publishers/developers try to find a way to make the end user pay. Just like always.

This sounds like he's referring to the cost to the DEVELOPERS, not the PLAYERS. That said, I thought Sony removed the cost for developer updates/patches in some situations?

Then why is he talking about some games having a fee and some not when referring to Sony Interactive games? They wouldn't be charging themselves for patches.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
So I this talked to a friend and he said
GGruRMN.gif

KAL2006

Banned
All Pro update performance certification patches should be free for debs until atleast a certain date. To encourage more games to do it.

The interview makes even less sense if it was about costs to the devs. It's definitely not that.

That say it depends on the thinking of the licensee (the dev) and some SIE games will cost and some wont. Makes no sense at all

How long will it take Sony to clarify on this ?

Yeah, we got horse armour, then buy this to be more powerful in the game, but I really think he means developers/publishers..

All Pro update performance certification patches should be free for debs until atleast a certain date. To encourage more games to do it.

Yeah, I agree on that.

There's definitely some miscommunication here, there is no way Sony would think to charge for that sort of thing. The messaging around the Pro is Xbox One pre-launch-tier anyways and has put people off, this sort of news would be a killing blow.

I just don't see this happening, fortunately.

OCD Guy

The interview makes even less sense if it was about costs to the devs. It's definitely not that.

That say it depends on the thinking of the licensee (the dev) and some SIE games will cost and some wont. Makes no sense at all

Of course it's not about developers. In that context why would they ask if Sony charges themselves to patch their games lol.

And people on this thread have the audacity to say some of us aren't reading the first post correctly lol.

The fact Ito explicitly says it's to the dsicretion of the Licensee says it all. If it was a question with regards to the cost developers face then that would be a fixed cost and apply to everyone.

Because it's your game. Improving it via visuals and or performance makes your title more appealing. Gives people a reason to play it again. Maybe then buy DLC. Gives incentive for people to go out and buy a game to see how (let's say) AC Unity looks on 4k.

It gives life back to your game / franchise. Which translates into exposure, which translates into revenue. That's why.

Talk about self-destruct.

This whole PS4 Pro console is an absolute mess. Totally unnecessary. Should have waited to push the PS5 in a few years.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
There's this:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...ion-4k-neo-and-the-original-ps4-will-co-exist

The bit about "no extra costs associated in running titles on a different console."

Of course we could now hyper analyse that and start splitting hairs over whether that means 'just running' or 'running with enhancements also'.

In any event, patches are only relevant to legacy games, pre-Oct. Any new games are not being patched for Pro, and cannot be patched with a Pro-mode after the fact, so even if patches were chargeable, it wouldn't be something that affects games going forward. But I really don't think it is intended to allow charges on patches for older games...
I've updated the OP to make clear that in the suggested situation it's only for games released before October.

Could Ito mean it would cost the developer - not the customer - to implement the patch?

It would be a mistake to charge the customer a patch for 4K and HDR.
Yes. But why have SIE charge SIE to implement a patch? And then have that vary from title by title.

jdmonmou

Could Ito mean it would cost the developer - not the customer - to implement the patch?

It would be a mistake to charge the customer a patch for 4K and HDR.

Because it's your game. Improving it via visuals and or performance makes your title more appealing. Gives people a reason to play it again. Maybe then buy DLC. Gives incentive for people to go out and buy a game to see how (let's say) AC Unity looks on 4k.

It gives life back to your game / franchise. Which translates into exposure, which translates into revenue. That's why.
which already means revenue for Sony as well, as they get a cut from everything. They don't need to charge them extra for it and disincentivise devs

rockx4

Can totally see a charge for "pro dlc"... I mean, people have voted with their wallets, they're willing to pay for remasters. If they're gonna spend time\resources to release a pro patch, the I'm sure they're gonna try to charge for it if they can. Whether sony actually blocks it is another thing.

Kill3r7

Sony is doing some MS level messaging about the Pro. Absolutely terrible.

To be fair, these new consoles are tricky to sell/define. They have no way to show off their amazing new features via a YouTube/twitch stream. They don't want to alienate their current userbase as well as 1080p owners. They simply don't know which developers will provide patches for their old games. Hard to get the messaging right when there are so many moving parts. Both Sony and MS should take a hint from Apple on how to convey the power difference. The internet hype train will take care of the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom