• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Remote Play working on any (rooted) Android 4.4+ phone

Stimpack

Somehow I missed the part about the DS4. I guess I was just too excited to check it out! Seemed to work alright. Maybe my Ouya will finally find its purpose.

Very cool, will look into getting this up and running on my T-Mobile LG G3 this weekend. Does this have any kind of controller support or do you have to use on screen controls?

Ramza

Banned
Very cool, will look into getting this up and running on my T-Mobile LG G3 this weekend. Does this have any kind of controller support or do you have to use on screen controls?

Touch screen controls at the moment, but the devs seem to be working pretty hard on it. Hopefully it's not too dependent on the Xperia framework. And it looks AMAZING on that 1440p screen the G3 has.

mtodavk

Interesting...now that only question is do I root my nexus 5 or wait for soony to release it on the app store?

Ramza

Banned
Interesting...now that only question is do I root my nexus 5 or wait for soony to release it on the app store?

I wouldn't hold my breath on it releasing for non Xperia phones. Besides, you have an N5. Ridiculously easy to root.

I hope they get DS4 working soon
It's actually surprisingly lag-free. I could sort of actually play Trials on my phone.

a.wd

Awesome, but that might put a crimp on my WiiU purchase, I have been telling the wife that is would mean less fighting over the tv (or more time for TV stuff for her)

Mesoian

Awesome, but that might put a crimp on my WiiU purchase, I have been telling the wife that is would mean less fighting over the tv (or more time for TV stuff for her)

I mean, a second TV is probably the better solution for that problem.

Ramza

Banned
It is 4.4. I installed all the files but in the play store search, I can't find the PS4 remote play app. Any ideas why its not showing me in my search? How can I force download and install?

Its part of the PlayStation App now. Go to the PS4 link part

plainr_

As a temporary solution, you could use your DS3 mapped to the touchscreen buttons with the Sixaxis Controller app.

plainr_

Very nice! No noticeable lag to it?

Not that I know of. It should be just as responsive as the onscreen controls.

BTW, here are some pics of the setup process for configuring the Sixaxis Controller app with Remote Play:

b81YCZR.jpg

Load up a snapshot as a template, add buttons, and save.

So how is the remote play quality with this? Has anyone tried any games? Is it laggy or good enough to play on local network.

nowai

Thanks. Some of that stuff is kinda new to me.

Not a problem. It can be a little overwhelming.

You're flashing a custom recovery so when you eventually run the playstation app, it thinks it's a supported device.

I've got it connected and running just fine, but the lack of built in DS4 support is a bummer. Only a matter of time though!

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Not a problem. It can be a little overwhelming.

You're flashing a custom recovery so when you eventually run the playstation app, it thinks it's a supported device.

I've got it connected and running just fine, but the lack of built in DS4 support is a bummer. Only a matter of time though!
I figured it had something to do with changing your device id to something compatible! Thanks for the info.

thuway

I'm definetely gonna love this feature with AMOLED on my soon to be Nexus 6. The only issue I've ever had with Xperia phones is the LCD.

Blanquito

So, I tried all of this on the Android L preview, and I can get the app to open and search for the PS4 but it never finds anything.

Has anyone else tried this on the preview?

plainr_

So, I tried all of this on the Android L preview, and I can get the app to open and search for the PS4 but it never finds anything.

Did you try the skip button? My phone could not detect my PS4 automatically. I had to manually enter some digits to get it to work.

mtodavk

I wouldn't hold my breath on it releasing for non Xperia phones. Besides, you have an N5. Ridiculously easy to root.

Good point. Actually just finished rooting and installing the app. Doing some testing with TLOU:R as we speak!

Ramza

Banned

Wouldn't surprise me if it won't work on ART (which the L preview is based off of)

Blanquito

Did you trying the skip button? My phone could not detect my PS4 automatically. I had to manually enter some digits to get it to work.

Yeah, I did the skip method and entered the numbers manually from my PS4. Still couldn't pair. [Edit] At least after a couple of minutes of waiting. Do I need to wait longer or should it be pretty quick? [/Edit]

Wouldn't surprise me if it won't work on ART (which the L preview is based off of)

It could be ART or the enhanced SEL security in lollipop... that's the price I pay for being on the edge, eh? Hopefully the full lollipop release comes soon and Sony has to ensure compatibility with it :)

[Edit2] Speak of the devil Sony shows off early AOSP build of lollipop for Z series phones

Delt31

What do I do once I download this file? There appears to be mult folders within that zip with mult apks. Do I move it to the SD card and open what?

molnizzle

Excellent, I'm glad this is happening so quickly. I was just gonna buy a Z3 tablet compact until I saw that the price was $499. Same price as an iPad Air 2, get real Sony.

I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for a cheap Android device to use solely for remote play. Just waiting for the DS4 nut to be cracked before I throw down my cash.

Delt31

Got this to work but having trouble getting my nvidia shield to map the onscreen buttons to the controller. I won't even try playing it via the screen buttons considering I don't even see a button for r stick.

EDIT _ created game mapper controls which now work but not sure about joysticks (left snd right) also would like to remove the onscreen icons - how do I do this? Seems like the onscreen buttons don't even have the joysticks represented.....weird

plainr_

Yeah, I did the skip method and entered the numbers manually from my PS4. Still couldn't pair. [Edit] At least after a couple of minutes of waiting. Do I need to wait longer or should it be pretty quick?[/URL]

Pairing should be quick. Maybe 10 seconds tops.

I'm guessing it's a network issue or you don't have Remote Play enabled on the PS4. Make sure to have your PS4 and smartphone connected on the same network at least for the initial pairing.

EDIT _ created game mapper controls which now work but not sure about joysticks (left snd right) also would like to remove the onscreen icons - how do I do this? Seems like the onscreen buttons don't even have the joysticks represented.....weird

Eliminating the onscreen buttons is impossible right now hence the reason why we are waiting for the official DS4 pairing tool to work.

Also, the virtual joysticks are there just invisible. Check my DS3 setup pics in my earlier post to see where I placed the virtual sticks.

Delt31

Pairing should be quick. Maybe 10 seconds tops.

I'm guessing it's a network issue. Make sure to have your PS4 and smartphone connected on the same network at least for the initial pairing.

Eliminating the onscreen buttons is impossible right now hence the reason why we are waiting for the official DS4 pairing tool to work.

Also, the virtual joysticks are there just invisible. Check my DS3 setup pics in my earlier post to see where I placed the virtual sticks.

thanks seems like you have a six axis app to do that? Question is do I need to download something else to add buttons or can I do this natively on my shield?

plainr_

thanks seems like you have a six axis app to do that? Question is do I need to download something else to add buttons or can I do this natively on my shield?

Everything you need for button mapping is built into the Shield. Create a new profile with Gamepad Mapper and drag and drop the buttons to match the Remote Play app button layout. For LS and RS stick placement, just use my pics above as reference.

Top Bottom