• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Remote Play working on any (rooted) Android 4.4+ phone

pixxxelz

Wow I use to have a bit of lag on my old nexus 5, but I just tried it on the OnePlus and is so silky smooth! Sony needs to market this shit

mh not really stupid I think. Because yeah, isn't this kinda like accessing PSN from a hacked PS3?

Except, it's not. You're not hacking anything or using any sort of workaround, you're just installing the .apk onto a phone that supports it, but through a choice Sony has made, doesn't choose to support phones outside of their own range. I didn't have to hack anything to get the software to run and I was able to use my own log in details.

Foshy

mh not really stupid I think. Because yeah, isn't this kinda like accessing PSN from a hacked PS3?
I doubt we have any official word on it either way but personally I think the risk is low.
really not the same thing. you're just installing the remote play app on a device that would normally be locked out.

I meant it more in the corporate language, accessing their PSN servers (by logging in & finding the PS4) using an unauthorized device (but... actually anything with a browser can so I guess that's a mute point).
As I said, I doubt it, but I would feel better knowing it's not something they would go against.

Considering all the app lets you do is use your own PS4, I think the more ridiculous thing is that it's not supported on more devices, especially when they plan to support PSNow on other TVs.

Foshy

I meant it more in the corporate language, accessing their PSN servers (by logging in & finding the PS4) using an unauthorized device (but... actually anything with a browser can so I guess that's a mute point).
As I said, I doubt it, but I would feel better knowing it's not something they would go against.
You're not accessing the PSN servers with your phone when doing remote play, only connecting directly to your PS4.

You're not accessing the PSN servers with your phone when doing remote play, only connecting directly to your PS4.

Mh ok, I just thought it would do that because you need the account data in the app as well as finding the PS4 if you connect from outside your home.

rambis

Banned
Considering all the app lets you do is use your own PS4, I think the more ridiculous thing is that it's not supported on more devices, especially when they plan to support PSNow on other TVs.
Locking it to xperia provides more incentive to buy an xperia. Its artificial I know but still...

wilflare

just one thing though - is the touchpad not working?
I couldn't press the touchpad to reset track in DriveClub

is it me or do I have to press the PS Button to bring up the lower menu before the Start and Option keys are pressable on my DS4?

Saro

Quick question I have a moto g (2014) with lollipop installed. remote play works fine at home but for some reason I can't remote play on my data or any other wifi connection(outside of my house) like with my vita. Is there any solution?

Quick question I have a moto g (2014) with lollipop installed. remote play works fine at home but for some reason I can't remote play on my data or any other wifi connection(outside of my house) like with my vita. Is there any solution?

You should be able to remote play over WiFi, previously on KitKat you could run an exposed module that allowed you to trick the phone in to thinking data was WiFi as well. Not sure this is possible on Lollipop yet though.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
here's the new one

Open it with ES File Explorer or something else and find the remote play.apk and install it. Don't worry about the dualshock manager.

Thanks. I've got it installed but I can't get it to mirror the screen. It seems to want to be the companion app. Any ideas.

sun-drop

so they have full DS4 support on non sony devices yet? .... i mean real support, not the workaround BS that requires you to be on the same LAN

we are all waiting for that - it's like the final piece of the puzzle

that's not even in the puzzle. devices need to either have support for the DS4 already built in, like some Sony devices, or have root access as without root, there isn't enough access to be able to properly add support for the DS4 on the device.

Anyone had any luck getting this to work with a FireTV? Got it working great on my Note 4, but when sideloaded onto my FireTV it gave an error message about not using a browser? Admittedly I only tried this then once, but was wondering if anyone else had success as it would save me buying a PS TV ;-)

wilflare

that's not even in the puzzle. devices need to either have support for the DS4 already built in, like some Sony devices, or have root access as without root, there isn't enough access to be able to properly add support for the DS4 on the device.

:( bleh. I hope they come up with a decent root solution.
I saw the two workarounds. the SixAxis app method isn't very good :/

Anyone had any luck getting this to work with a FireTV? Got it working great on my Note 4, but when sideloaded onto my FireTV it gave an error message about not using a browser? Admittedly I only tried this then once, but was wondering if anyone else had success as it would save me buying a PS TV ;-)

you need to sideload a browser for it to work
the RemotePlay app uses a browser to login your account (yeap... T_T)

TomShoe

Banned
Finally got it working, but the connection is pretty unreliable. There's lots of slowdown and lag until the connection finally drops altogether. The connection should be much better once I wire up my PS4 and forward the ports.

oRuin

Got remote play working on my rooted M8. Sadley the axis pairtool will not run on my win8.1 machine, just an error.

majik13

So what is the cheapest/best device to get for purpses of just doing this?

I have a vita, and just got it all setup to RP with the DS4 and mounted it and all. Using this elusive binder clip mod. But with the metal arms removed.
2015-01-19-1_zps429c2327.jpg

But the whole no multi account or direct DS4 support is a real downer. It looks like before too long they will have full DS4 support working on android devices
I hope
, would be nice to just have a device I can take on the road that supports DS4. Because looks like Sony isnt going to do it.

So what is the cheapest/best device to get for purpses of just doing this?

I have a vita, and just got it all setup to RP with the DS4 and mounted it and all. Using this elusive binder clip mod. But with the metal arms removed.

But the whole no multi account or direct DS4 support is a real downer. It looks like before too long they will have full DS4 support working, would be nice to just have a device I can take on the road that supports DS4. Because looks like Sony isnt going to do it.

Can we start a campaign asking boyes and shu?

majik13

I am a bit new to this, so what is the purpose of this then? Is this not trying to support DS4?

Can we start a campaign asking boyes and shu?

probabaly in poor humor, but...
I'm thinking we find someone or get someone terminally ill, and then they use the Make a Wish foundation. and their wish would be to add direct DS4 and multi account support to Vita....and then everyone wins?

I downloaded the remote play app but can't use the controller unless I root my device and install Dualshock Manager. Towelroot doesn't work any more and I don't want to go the Odin method. What can I do So I can use my DS4, or a controller

Edit: using a Galaxy S5

Double edit: I guess I have to use the second account method judging by some posts here

I downloaded the remote play app but can't use the controller unless I root my device and install Dualshock Manager. Towelroot doesn't work any more and I don't want to go the Odin method. What can I do So I can use my DS4, or a controller

Edit: using a Galaxy S5

Double edit: I guess I have to use the second account method judging by some posts here

The second account method is the only way I have been able to play. The good thing is it's not a pain like it was with the Vita. For the Vita, I had to wipe all my account info off the Vita and start from scratch which sucked.

On the phone, just log into your secondary account and go from there. It actually works pretty well and the Dual Shock 4 can be used pretty far from the PS4 itself which surprised me. It was working pretty well, but I would get bursts of lag about every 3 or 4 minutes which makes me wonder if I have a process on my phone checking for something which causes the spike.

grmlin

So I tried this on my S4 yesterday and now I'm looking for a phone clip/holder. The Nyko is unavailable here in Germany, and 50$ to import this thing is way too much.

Anyone tried the Sony GCM10 with a Nexus 6? I don't have one yet, but this will probably be the device I will use remote play with in the future.

Top Bottom