• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Remote Play working on any (rooted) Android 4.4+ phone

truth411

I think this is an opportunity for Sony. Sony should push for remote play on all smartphone and tablet devices. It would be a huge boost for the PS4 and the PSN store since the PS4 is very indie friendly. The user base for game sales would skyrocket and might cause a snowball effect for the PS4 hardware and PS+ subscriptions.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Works great on my HTC One, now only need DS4 support and this will be the best portable remote play option.

I can't install the DS Manager... it says it found an error. :(

The new version works on any 2.2+ devices.

You're not supposed to install the DS Manager, you have to put the apk in your /system/app directory and change the permissions, both of which you can only do if you're rooted.

So. .as an iphone user will jailbreaking my phone ever allow me to do this? Or should I just resort to having a tablet

No unless you can somehow boot into Android on your iphone or Sony ports the app to iOS(no chance in hell that's gonna happen).

How safe is this?

Downloading a 3rd party software not from Play Store AND then signing in the psn account via the web whilst on this same device?

Krakn3Dfx

Any chance this will ever be available on PC?

Install it through BlueStacks Android emulator, that should work.

It's unfortunate that the DS4 won't pair with the FireTV Stick, since it works on the FireTV. The Stick version would be an amazingly portable Remote Play option.

Great.

So XDA are safe? Why is this?

(sorry new to Android, recently got a oneplusone)

Are all apk's from XDA safe?

edit: sorry meant to say thanks!

XDA is the go-to modding forum for most Android devices. It's pretty strictly moderated and generally is where small projects like this originate.

XDA is the go-to modding forum for most Android devices. It's pretty strictly moderated and generally is where small projects like this originate.

Superb! Remote Play here I come.

Might even put it on my phone (currently using a Tab 2 7.0).

Now to sort using DS4.

Thanks again.

Great.

So XDA are safe? Why is this?

(sorry new to Android, recently got a oneplusone)

Are all apk's from XDA safe?

edit: sorry meant to say thanks!

Been using XDA devs for over 10 years, really good community, very helpful and no ego's. As long as you stick to stuff from the main modders you'll be completely safe, even then they'll get rid of any rubbish pretty quick. They started out modding the old windows touchscreen phones, hence XDA-Devs. Then moved onto Android as it became more popular. I still remember the joy at getting Tomb Raider running on my old XDA II mini mainly through their help.

Been using XDA devs for over 10 years, really good community, very helpful and no ego's. As long as you stick to stuff from the main modders you'll be completely safe, even then they'll get rid of any rubbish pretty quick. They started out modding the old windows touchscreen phones, hence XDA-Devs. Then moved onto Android as it became more popular. I still remember the joy at getting Tomb Raider running on my old XDA II mini mainly through their help.

Fantastic.

All done and works really well.

Now I need a new router that will do 5gz and connect to an android device that supports it and it should be great.

:)

IMACOMPUTA

It is either this method or the alternative. The alternative is there is no alternative.

Well, unfortunately the alternative is using the vita instead of the ds4. Unless you rubber band one of the analog sticks to constantly be pressed.
I wish sony would just support ds4 with vita...

It's unfortunate that the DS4 won't pair with the FireTV Stick, since it works on the FireTV. The Stick version would be an amazingly portable Remote Play option.

No matter what I do, I cannot get the DS4 to pair with my FireTV. When I'm in pairing mode and select the DS4 on the FireTV, the DS4 light goes solid for 2 seconds and then turns off. I've tried it like 40 times.

That being said, I set everything up for remote play on my FireTV and it works great. Right now, my FireTV is close to my PS4 so I can use the second profile workaround for DS4 use.

When I put remote play on High quality mode, my framerate is noticeably lower than Normal quality.
Both my PS4 and FireTV are wired, so I'm guessing its a hardware issue with the FireTV...

GravyButt

Hmm my wife has an android based tablet she doesn't use anymore. I may have to look into this.

Shame you cant get ds4 to work with fire stick. Whats the options for that?

GravyButt

Holy shit. I installed this on my Fire TV Stick and it works.

Playing GTAV in the next room (with my DS4 connected directly to the PS4 of course).

About how far away are you? Wife is buying me a fire stick for xmas. Bedroom is semi close to living room.

whitehawk

Banned
Got it working on my Nexus 4 with 5.0 Lollipop. I'm not sure port forwarding has anything to do with it. Someone mentiond on XDA to restart your device and try again. Worked for me.

The connection is bad for some reason though and keeps disconnecting.

edit: connects every time now, but the video quality/lag ranges from bad to abysmal.

Valnen

Got it working on my Nexus 4 with 5.0 Lollipop. I'm not sure port forwarding has anything to do with it. Someone mentiond on XDA to restart your device and try again. Worked for me.

The connection is bad for some reason though and keeps disconnecting.

edit: connects every time now, but the video quality/lag ranges from bad to abysmal.

Is rooting the Nexus 4 difficult if you already have 5.0 installed? I want to try this out.

twisted89

I like to clear this up fo everyone.
Remote Play will not work on Android emulators, there are no x86 libraries (only arm) so it won't even run without an arm translator. If you have one installed it still won't work (at least on all the ones I've tried) due to networking issues with the emulators and NAT routing. It'll run but you'll never successfully connect to a PS4.
Then again, I'd very much like to be proved wrong so if anyone does work this out let me know.

spwolf

Does the Sony Z3 clip thing for the DS4 work for other smartphones? Don't know whether it is specifically designed for the Z3 or is more generic.

there are bunch of them on ebay from china that should work on many phones, for cheapo.

Drac

Holy ####, just launched it on my Z1Compact, seemed to work great out of the box (not rooted), will try to play something on lunch break :D

Anarion07

Does the Sony Z3 clip thing for the DS4 work for other smartphones? Don't know whether it is specifically designed for the Z3 or is more generic.

Since it's vacuum-suction based, it should work fine with any phone/tablet that has a flat back.
Works fine with my old S3 for example

plainr_

Hmm my wife has an android based tablet she doesn't use anymore. I may have to look into this.

Shame you cant get ds4 to work with fire stick. Whats the options for that?

For now, we can only wait for root access for the Fire TV Stick. With root, you can connect a DS3 controller then map the physical buttons to the touch screen buttons. Another alternative solution that might work without root is the official Amazon Fire TV controller to use with the Tincore app.

About how far away are you? Wife is buying me a fire stick for xmas. Bedroom is semi close to living room.

Probably 20 feet. I'll do another test tomorrow but this time a bit further and on different floors. The PS4's bluetooth range is surprisingly long.

whitehawk

Banned
AFAIK The only way to use a DS3/4 non-local is to map the buttons to the touchscreen with seperate software which isn't the best solution.

This is notging more than party tricks till they fix the ds4 connection issue :(

Wonder whats taking so long.

Maybe the xperia phones have a security chip in them -_-

Works pretty flawlessly though.
Download&install, sign in (didn't even have to enter anything as it just pulls the info from the ps app) and connect via router.

I had to travel to France today so used the university wireless there and worked as well without needing to set stuff up first.

Just my upload at home is way too bad for it to work. Well I still have time to upgrade until they figure out DS4 support. My dream is to plug my phone into some hotel room tv and play my PS4 from there haha
I guess i could just buy a PS TV but my phone i will always have with me.

Btw thread title should be changed to "any stock android device" or something.

chualie

Got it working on my Note 4 unrooted. There's a bit of latency but it definitely is not bad.

Using the touchscreen to play Madden was a chore. Makes me want to rebuy a vita. Forgot how well remote play worked.

for those on lollipop you need to open ports. but on 4.2 at 1st there was a lag/latency, little but noticeable but after it is almost smooth :D

can anyone compare the experience to the Z3?

Got it working on my Note 4 unrooted. There's a bit of latency but it definitely is not bad.

Using the touchscreen to play Madden was a chore. Makes me want to rebuy a vita. Forgot how well remote play worked.

you know you can use the DS4?

1. Create a Secondary PSN Account on your PS4 and log in.
  2. Sing in to the Remote Play App with the Secondary PSN Account.
  3. In the Remote Play App go to Settings > Change PS4 to Connect To.
  4. When Connecting via the Internet click on Skip and use the code in PS4 > Remote Play Connection Setting > Add Device(Still on you Secondary PSN Account)
  5. Once connected, disconnect.
  6. Now in your PS4 sing out of your Secondary PSN Account and sing into your Primary PSN Account.
  7. Go back to the Remote Play App and sing out of your Secondary PSN Account and sign in to your Primary PSN Account.
  8. In the Main Remote Play App Screen tap on Next to connect.
  9. Done!!! Have fun!!!

chualie

you know you can use the DS4?

1. Create a Secondary PSN Account on your PS4 and log in.
  2. Sing in to the Remote Play App with the Secondary PSN Account.
  3. In the Remote Play App go to Settings > Change PS4 to Connect To.
  4. When Connecting via the Internet click on Skip and use the code in PS4 > Remote Play Connection Setting > Add Device(Still on you Secondary PSN Account)
  5. Once connected, disconnect.
  6. Now in your PS4 sing out of your Secondary PSN Account and sing into your Primary PSN Account.
  7. Go back to the Remote Play App and sing out of your Secondary PSN Account and sign in to your Primary PSN Account.
  8. In the Main Remote Play App Screen tap on Next to connect.
  9. Done!!! Have fun!!!

I thought this only worked locally. Might have to invest in a grip to attach my phone to my controller. thanks.

Top Bottom