• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 scores high on repairability.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/playstation-4-repair-guide-ps4-teardown-ifixit,25093.html

Sony's PS4 launched today, and the iFixit team has wasted no time in getting down to the nitty gritty. The site, as usual, was among the first in line for the PS4 just so it could tear it apart and assess how easy it is to repair. The answer? Pretty easy. iFixit reports that the new PlayStation console is easy-to-open and repair friendly, scoring an 8 out of 10 on its repairability scale. Not bad!

Notable finds include a user-replaceable hard drive, Security Torx screws, and tattle-tale anti-tamper stickers. It's worth noting that the user replaceable drive is stowed behind an easily removable cover, and you don't have to remove the case to replace the HDD. In other words, you don't need to worry about those 'warranty void if seal removed/damaged' stickers. They don't come into play until later in the game.

The chips inside include the eight-core 64-bit AMD Jaguar CPU and Radeon GPU we heard about previously. This is working alongside 16 x 512 MB of Samsung GDDR5 RAM (total is 8 GB), Samsung's K4B2G1646E-BCK0 2 Gb DDR3 SDRAM, and a secondary processor for network tasks.

Check the full list of chips below:

• SCEI CXD90026G SoC (includes AMD "Jaguar" CPU Cores and Radeon GPU)
• Samsung K4G41325FC-HC03 512 MB GDDR5 RAM (total of 16 x 512 MB = 8 GB)
• SCEI CXD90025G Secondary/Low Power Processor for Network Tasks
• Samsung K4B2G1646E-BCK0 2 Gb DDR3 SDRAM
• Macronix MX25L25635FMI 256 Mb Serial Flash Memory
• Marvell Wireless Avastar 88W8797 7 Integrated 2x2 WLAN/Bluetooth/FM Single-Chip SoC
• Panasonic MN86471A HDMI Communication LSI
• Marvell 88EC060-NN82 Ethernet Controller
• SCEI 1327KM44S
• Genesys Logic GL3520 USB 3.0 Hub Controller
• Samsung K4G41325FC-HC03 4 Gb (512 MB) GDDR5 RAM
• International Rectifier 35858 N326P IC2X
• Macronix 25L1006E CMOS Serial Flash Memory
• Renesas SCEI RJ832841FP1
• Microchip Technology 312 3536A

coldfoot

Banned
They missed the Fujitsu Sata2 to USB3 controller. Wonder if MS uses something similar or has it built in to their SOC

This is really good news for the simple fact that, the easier it is to repair, the easier and less costly it should be on both sides of the equation should anybody end up needing assistance with their console.

Raist

Banned
"Samsung K4B2G1646E-BCK0 2 Gb DDR3 SDRAM"

What is the 256 MB of DDR3 for? Standby functions? The secondary processor?

• SCEI CXD90025G Secondary/Low Power Processor for Network Tasks
• Samsung K4B2G1646E-BCK0 2 Gb DDR3 SDRAM
• Macronix MX25L25635FMI 256 Mb Serial Flash Memory

Goes togeher.

Perhaps they mean that you can try and do some basic repairs yourself, without voiding the warrenty? Not really sure.

A combination of things. Easier for users to do their own repairs, easier and less expensive for the manufacturer to assist the customer, particularly when you're outside of warranty, and being able to access and remove the hard drive as easily as that, while being able to use your own hard drive without voiding the warranty is pretty nice.

Pain

Banned
Good, because apparently it's going to need it.
It's a firmware issue, not a hardware issue.
"Sony has released a firmware update for the PlayStation 4 that is required for many features on the console. However, this update also results in stability issues while playing games on the system.

This affects all games on the PS4, including EA titles, causing crashing/freezing and non-responsive connections between the player's console and their TV Screen.

Lucent

My PS4 is working flawlessly, thankfully

Sucks for those who got a bad batch

Same. I updated mine in Safe Mode with a flash drive and am currently downloading Resogun, Contras, Warframe, Blacklight, and Sound Shapes.

The HDMI port was in perfect condition for me, too. Using some cheap $3 HDMI cables that have served me and the other consoles well instead of the one supplied by Sony just in case. lol.

One thing I'm upset about is that all the games download at once instead of focusing on one game to get it done faster. Dunno what's up with that.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
LOL. What I came to post. Been on hold with Sony for 10 minutes to find out what they can do about my $400 paper weight.

I'm sure Amazon or your retail store would be able to help you faster than Sony would... Literally, just exchange it at retail.

It's a firmware issue, not a hardware issue.

I don't get how it could be firmware since many of us are getting broken systems out of the box. Mine does nothing when turned on, won't even go into safe mode. I get no picture, no sound. It's totally fucked. Wouldn't everyone be affected if it were simply the original firmware? I mean, it's what every single system comes with.

I'm sure Amazon or your retail store would be able to help you faster than Sony would... Literally, just exchange it at retail.

Amazon. They can't (or wouldn't) because they have none in stock. I tried on the site and on the phone. The guy told me they could only do a refund, even after I insisted I wanted a replacement.

Maybe you have the same HDMI issue Kotaku had?

There is nothing visibly wrong with my HDMI port. I've compared it to my brother's unit that works fine, they look exactly the same.

I just got off the phone with Sony support, finally. They had me try to boot into safe mode, it wouldn't. At which point they told me to send it in. It will take 3-5 business days for the box to arrive, they didn't give an estimate on how long it'd take to get back. Guess I'll be enjoying PS4 next month.

Curufinwe

There is nothing visibly wrong with my HDMI port. I've compared it to my brother's unit that works fine, they look exactly the same.

I just got off the phone with Sony support, finally. They had me try to boot into safe mode, it wouldn't. At which point they told me to send it in. It will take 3-5 business days for the box to arrive, they didn't give an estimate on how long it'd take to get back. Guess I'll be enjoying PS4 next month.

That really sucks. I would be so sad if that had happened to me. I hope they give you a free month of PS+ or something for your trouble.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Amazon. They can't (or wouldn't) because they have none in stock. I tried on the site and on the phone. The guy told me they could only do a refund, even after I insisted I wanted a replacement.
You know what?
I'm sorry. I didn't think about my reply. That response literally would have been obvious if I thought about it for more than 5 seconds. Instead, I responded with snark... Yeah.

satam55

Banned

This should be pointed out, According to the FCC filing for both the PS4 Dev Kit (https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=435177&fcc_id=AK8DUTD1000) & the retail PS4 (https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=583848&fcc_id=AK8CUH100C1), the PS4 is supposed have Bluetooth 4.0 in addition to Bluetooth 2.1 +EDR. On both of those links, the info is in the last .pdf file called "FCC 15C Report". It should be on page 5.

Now that it's confirmed that the wireless radio in the PS4 is a "Marvell Wireless Avastar 88W8797", we can 100% confirm that the PS4 has Bluetooth 4.0. Here's a link for the .pdf file info on the Marvell Wireless Avastar 88W8797 SoC:
http://www.marvell.com/wireless/assets/marvell_avastar_88w8797.pdf

ohhh.png
I wonder why Sony doesn't list Bluetooth 4.0 as a tech spec feature on the PS4.

Top Bottom