• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why didn't MS use a portion of GDDR5 RAM instead of eSRAM?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Anticipated cost/availability of gddr5, back when they were designing Durango, led them to place their bet behind ddr3 for 8gb. If we accept the leaked specs as accurate.

If you like, it was fortuitous for Sony that things emerged to allow them to use 8gb of gddr5. MS wasn't willing to bet on things working out, they knew they wanted 8gb from an early stage, and ddr3 was the reliable route...so they designed for that, and designed in features to try and mitigate its bandwidth deficiencies.

It's a shame, because that bet seems to have informed so much of the design, mostly for worse.

edit - sorry, was early, misread the question :p I guess the main reason for not doing that is they would not want to split main memory, and have only 2GB reasonably addressable by the GPU. Or, at least, that was probably their original thinking. Asides from original plans, it would be messy to make that change now.

From what I heard somewhere was that eSRAM has lower latency
Can someone explain how latency will benefit a GPU that will mostly perform vector accesses from L1 and L2 cache and not from esram directly? I don't understand how it will benefit the CPU much either as cache miss are fewer and fewer nowadays. Are gaming algorithm more prone to generate cache miss?

Anyway, if someone has a good explanation for that, I'm genuinely eager to read from it because this argument is getting championed and nobody seems to be able to back it up.

sleepykyo

Microsoft had the performance crown the past 2 gens, it's surprising to think they may not this time, especially if it ends up being as decisive of a loss as it looks now with the rumored specs.

It isn't like the specs have been officially announced. That being said, I imagine MS's configuration well best represent powerful hardware without pricing it out of mainstream tastes.

Perkel

Banned
I think many people forget that MS has rumored 1,2tf GPU. Going for GDDR5 with that GPU doesn't make any sence. Bandwidth only works if you have power to push things with that bandwidth.

Right now they don't need GDDR5 using it would be waste of resources. Instead they choose slower big pool of memory and because it is to slow for system they patched it with SRam to give them boost to bandwidth.

Why is the Xbox doing this? We don't know what their doing. Yeah but why are they doing it?

It's like everyone heard about gddr5 for the first time and decided that without a gddr5 memory solution a device is weak.

Are we gonna be talking about memory this whole generation?

There is better memory than gddr5 out there btw.

Your suggestion seems kind of against what microsofts designs have been about. They will not throq away a unified RAM pools (even if SRAM technically changes that up bit). It is just too nice for console development.

IMO... the most interesting thing about PS4 will be when devs have about 4 to 5 Gigs of RAM ffor VRAM usage. The variety of Assets in some games could be a healthy change!

SSM25

Why is the Xbox doing this? We don't know what their doing. Yeah but why are they doing it?

It's like everyone heard about gddr5 for the first time and decided that without a gddr5 memory solution a device is weak.

XDR2?

I think many people forget that MS has rumored 1,2tf GPU. Going for GDDR5 with that GPU doesn't make any sence. Bandwidth only works if you have power to push things with that bandwidth.

Right now they don't need GDDR5 using it would be waste of resources. Instead they choose slower big pool of memory and because it is to slow for system they patched it with SRam to give them boost to bandwidth.
I think those same people forget that the ps4 only has a confirmed 1.8tflop.

A very similar thing happened the last time around with XDR, and then when people started seeing both consoles' real-life results, it quickly died down.

Drek

Can someone explain how latency will benefit a GPU that will mostly perform vector accesses from L1 and L2 cache and not from esram directly? I don't understand how it will benefit the CPU much either as cache miss are fewer and fewer nowadays. Are gaming algorithm more prone to generate cache miss?

Anyway, if someone has a good explanation for that, I'm genuinely eager to read from it because this argument is getting championed and nobody seems to be able to back it up.

Latency isn't a big issue for GPU operations where you're generally working on larger quantities of data at a time, and that data demand can be predicted in advance. This is why high end graphics cards use GDDR5, it's high bandwidth is the big gain for graphics processing.

Latency is a big deal for general CPU operations where the CPU will demand a lot of small packets on short notice.

Imagine you ran a parts supply company with a wide array of products and had the choice between two delivery contractors.

Delivery contractor A can delivery 176 crates of various parts a day to your customers, but you need to supply those crates 2 days in advance so they can load the trucks correctly.

Delivery contractor B can deliver only 68 crates of various parts a day to your customers, but also only needs to receive the crates 1 day in advance from you.

If your customers know what they need long term and are looking to go through large quantities of your parts they'll be best serviced if you choose delivery contractor A. If your customers have a hard time predicting day to day usage and are making a wide array of demand based products they would be best serviced by contractor B, assuming contractor B can meet demand.

A GPU is the first kind of customer. It's easy to predict what resources it will demand next and therefore your biggest concern is just giving it enough to work with.

A CPU is the second kind of customer. What we as end users choose to do within the OS can change at the drop of a hat and the CPU needs to service that as much as possible. Being able to deliver 176 crates of parts in a day doesn't do much for your customer if those are the wrong parts. Being able to deliver data extremely fast to the CPU doesn't do the CPU much good if it isn't the right type of data.

So separating the RAM would cause issues with what exactly? I thought the PS3 problem was that the CPU and GPU only could access half? What if the Durango CPU and GPU could access both the 2 GB pool and 6 GB pool of RAM? Would this be too difficult/expensive to create that same bandwidth channels since it would be 4 buses instead of 2?
What you are suggesting would result in either developers having to really muck around with how they address the two pools, or a lot of what amounts to double handling of data, wasting resources. More than likely a mix of the two. What I mean by double handling is that you would often see situations where the DDR3 pool would be used to pre-fetch data for the GDDR5 pool, making it a less effective solution.

Also, as Brad Grenz said in this thread, you start running into serious bus logistics that will start handicapping both pools. This is why ESRAM is beneficial.

Has anyone tried to predict what would the effective bandwidth of Durango be?
I thought that rumor (which site was it again?) sounded BS when the person leaking it just added the ESRAM and the DDR3's bandwidth numbers...
That depends WAY too much on MS' implementation of the two pools, both in a hardware handler (which we know it has) and how much of the access developers will have to customize flow between the two pools and to the silicon. It's an unknown at this point.

Krilekk

Banned
This is not a question of will they do this, but why didn't they do this.

So Durango is rumored to have 8 GB DDR3 with 32 MB eSRAM. I understand that MS cannot just swap the DDR3 RAM with GDDR5 in any efficient way without delaying the console. It sounds like 8 GB GDDR5 was too expensive to do to them, and eSRAM wasn't too expensive, even though eSRAM is pretty pricey too. But why didn't MS just use 6 GB DDR3 RAM, with 2 GB of GDDR5 RAM. Change the balance between GDDR5 and DDR3 as much as you need to make it price efficient. Even if they only did 512 MB of GDDR5, this sounds to make more sense to me, who doesn't know much. Here's why I think it makes more sense.

Their current setup allows a max bandwidth of 170GBps if they most efficiently use the eSRAM, with a minimum bandwidth of about 68GBps. They are limited by that 32 MB of RAM that is much faster.

My idea would remove the eSRAM, and replace it with 512MB - 2GB of GDDR3 RAM, and the remaining RAM to make it 8 GB be DDR3 RAM. Wouldn't this allow them to have a max bandwidth of 176 GBps, and a minimum bandwidth of 68 GBps, but they would now have the hyperfast RAM have a capacity between 512 MB - 2 GB.

Thoughts?

DDR3 stacked runs circles around GDDR5.

Drek

A very similar thing happened the last time around with XDR, and then when people started seeing both consoles' real-life results, it quickly died down.

What's your point to this post? Are you trying to say that the PS3 wasn't actually a more powerful system? Or do you not understand how pain in the ass design and a comparatively fat OS limited the hindered the PS3?

If we had been given the kinds of details we currently have for PS4 and rumored for X720 with last generation's systems the various bottlenecks and obstructions in the PS3 would have been spotted very quickly.

Perkel

Banned
I think those same people forget that the ps4 only has a confirmed 1.8tflop.

True but there is point when you need to get better ram.

GDDR5 was already put into 1,5tf cards before that point was GDDR3 and that was used mostly on cheaper cards that couldn't output high resolution with good framerate.

KidBeta

Latency isn't a big issue for GPU operations where you're generally working on larger quantities of data at a time, and that data demand can be predicted in advance. This is why high end graphics cards use GDDR5, it's high bandwidth is the big gain for graphics processing.

Latency is a big deal for general CPU operations where the CPU will demand a lot of small packets on short notice.

Imagine you ran a parts supply company with a wide array of products and had the choice between two delivery contractors.

Delivery contractor A can delivery 176 crates of various parts a day to your customers, but you need to supply those crates 2 days in advance so they can load the trucks correctly.

Delivery contractor B can deliver only 68 crates of various parts a day to your customers, but also only needs to receive the crates 1 day in advance from you.

If your customers know what they need long term and are looking to go through large quantities of your parts they'll be best serviced if you choose delivery contractor A. If your customers have a hard time predicting day to day usage and are making a wide array of demand based products they would be best serviced by contractor B, assuming contractor B can meet demand.

A GPU is the first kind of customer. It's easy to predict what resources it will demand next and therefore your biggest concern is just giving it enough to work with.

A CPU is the second kind of customer. What we as end users choose to do within the OS can change at the drop of a hat and the CPU needs to service that as much as possible. Being able to deliver 176 crates of parts in a day doesn't do much for your customer if those are the wrong parts. Being able to deliver data extremely fast to the CPU doesn't do the CPU much good if it isn't the right type of data.

What you are suggesting would result in either developers having to really muck around with how they address the two pools, or a lot of what amounts to double handling of data, wasting resources. More than likely a mix of the two. What I mean by double handling is that you would often see situations where the DDR3 pool would be used to pre-fetch data for the GDDR5 pool, making it a less effective solution.

Also, as Brad Grenz said in this thread, you start running into serious bus logistics that will start handicapping both pools. This is why ESRAM is beneficial.

That depends WAY too much on MS' implementation of the two pools, both in a hardware handler (which we know it has) and how much of the access developers will have to customize flow between the two pools and to the silicon. It's an unknown at this point.

As long as your hitting the cache on the CPU (and you will be often, the cache algos are insane) then you should be fine, it'll make a difference when you miss the cache but the difference will not be widely drastic it'll be smaller 20% probably.

I think the 8gb gddr5 is awesome and we will eventually see if it has the desired effect. I just think its funny how people are suddenly so interested in memory and memory bandwidth. It's like Sony knew gaf would freak out about it.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I think the 8gb gddr5 is awesome and we will eventually see if it has the desired effect. I just think its funny how people are suddenly so interested in memory and memory bandwidth. It's like Sony knew gaf would freak out about it.

It's the one thing developers have been clamoring about this entire fucking generation.
Sony not only delivered the goods in that department, they doubled down on it, making for happy developers that can look forward to working on a platform that isn't hideously constrained in every way possible.

True but there is point when you need to get better ram.

GDDR5 was already put into 1,5tf cards before that point was GDDR3 and that was used mostly on cheaper cards that couldn't output high resolution with good framerate.
Yes but we aren't talking 8gb on these cards. Ms might have gddr5 on its gpu.

Drek

DDR3 stacked runs circles around GDDR5.

It also costs a bunch too, and if MS was using a 3DS DDR3 setup they'd have no need for the ESRAM.

So unless MS is looking to ship a $600 box with useless features I don't think we much have to worry about them using 3DS DDR3. That or every rumor is completely wrong about the X720, which while possible seems unlikely as many of the publications that had the PS4 most accurately pegged are all saying the same things for X720.

It's the one thing developers have been clamoring about this entire fucking generation.
Sony not only delivered the goods in that department, they doubled down on it, making for happy developers that can look forward to working on a platform that isn't hideously constrained in every way possible.
I think it was a great decision. I think how the talk shifts is so funny though. People are setting themselves up to believe that the next Xbox is weak as hell unless it has at least 8gb gddr5. I just think its funny.

If we had been given the kinds of details we currently have for PS4 and rumored for X720 with last generation's systems the various bottlenecks and obstructions in the PS3 would have been spotted very quickly.

Um, we had very precise PS3 specs (with a slightly stronger RSX than what eventually shipped, and a lot of peripheral stuff that never made the cut) a year and a half in advance, since at least E3 2005. It didn't stop people from talking about things they didn't really understand and others following their words blindly. The history is repeating itself, as it so often does.

nib95

Banned

Not to just shoot down your post in such a lazy way, but latency becomes far less important as speed increases. The speed of the Vram with GDDR5 is what essentially compensates for the lesser latency. It's been that way each ram generation actually, with older models of ram having less latency, but newer models being faster and/or having more bandwidth.

I.e, DDR actually has less latency than DDR2, DDR2 less than DDR3, and DDR3 less than DDR4. But it matters little because the latter are much faster, and the added speed is far more useful.

kmag

I don't think you understand how the hardware works.

It's a logistical nightmare for developers if the RAM isn't unified. In your scenario, they would have to specifically code which RAM to use for which data.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but there would be issues connecting the different types of RAM to the same bus while maintaining a high throughput.

It's not at all if both pools are large enough. It's essentially what every PC game has, although the OS obfuscates it

Estocolmo

Why are people shitting the bed because Microsoft's console might not have exactly the same specs as Sony's?

I really don't see the point of trying to 2nd guess Microsoft before the product is even in anybody's hands to test in the first place. You don't even know how it will perform outside of the lab and you're already giving Microsoft shit about their design decisions? Are you an electrical engineering god with a crystal ball that allows you to divine how developers will fare on every platform?

Let's pretend that the PS4's memory implementation is better in every way, shape or form. Even then it is pointless to judge it in a vacuum devoid of pricing information, devoid of library considerations.

Ease down Ripley, ease down, you're just grinding the trans-axle.

Thats exactly what I was thinking about, especially reading the title of the thread "Why didn't MS use a portion of GDDR5 RAM instead of eSRAM?"

Why didnt MS use a portion? Why didnt? No information about the new Xbox has officially been release, yet some are already speaking about the next Xbox like it has been revealed!

Erethian

Not to just shoot down your post in such a lazy way, but latency becomes far less important as speed increases. The speed of the Vram with GDDR5 is what essentially compensates for the lesser latency. It's been that way each ram generation actually, with older models of ram having less latency, but newer models being faster and/or having more bandwidth.

I.e, DDR actually has less latency than DDR2, DDR2 less than DDR3, and DDR3 less than DDR4. But it matters little because the latter are much faster, and the added speed is far more useful.

Are you talking about CAS latency? Because that is just a measure of the number of clock cycles it takes, and memory running at a higher frequency has faster clock cycles. So DDR-667 running with a CAS latency of 3 has just as much latency as DDR-1333 running at a CAS latency of 6.

Top Bottom