• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 slim leaked?

Razgreez

A slimmer PS4 is without doubt in development and probably has been since the day the current version launched however, I seriously doubt this is it

Fliesen

wow thats crazy

maybe you don't have a HD anymore and you have to attach your own

that could reduce the size

so glad i have not bought my second one yet

thanks op

I rather have a sleek console that's a bit bigger than a tiny one with an external HDD, an external power brick and ugly cords that go along with that.
No way they're EVER going to release a PS4 that doesn't come with built in storage. I don't think they'd go the "Xbox 360 arcade" route of only including a minimal amount of flash storage, as this would cripple digital sales as well as the game recording functionality.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Kinda weird to do this so soon, no?

Don't you usually do this to spur sales?

It's done to lower cost as much as increase sales. Still seems too early to release a new model though.

That said, it would be nice. I'm holding out for a price drop+revision (along with games I want actually coming out).

Genio88

That's not possible, it's definitely a fake, it can't be that small, it would have place just for the blu ray driver, but where is the hard disk, where is the fan that should cool the components?
Actual PS4 is already louder and hotter than Xbone due to its small dimension, that would burn if real.
That said, it's a fake, but a console like that with the power of a PS4 would be awesome, maybe it'll be possible in 3/4 years from now, seeing how tablet like surface and iPad air 2 are getting pretty powerful in always smaller cases

Nephtes

That side loading disc slot would ensure I never put discs in it.

There's no space in my entertainment center where the PS4 slim could sit that I could access the disc drive...

LordOfChaos

Seems early, assuming they'd want to wait for a process shrink to bother redesigning it. They're on 28nm now, and production of smaller fabs still doesn't seem ramped up to console levels yet.

Funny enough, the one that probably won't see a slim version (based off the Wii and GC and N64 etc) is the Wii U, while it's internals are ripe for shrinking at most likely 40nm and 45nm for the CPU and GPU (digital foundry is insisting on 55nm, but Chipworks said 45nm - chipworks is the more technical though). Those are some old ass processes, and while I think the GPU may be limited by the eDRAM, the CPU can definitely hit smaller nodes because IBM already has taken their eDRAM to smaller nodes.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Just reading through this thread now,

It took 250 replies before someone posted Senator Vreenak????

I'm disgusted with you GAF, that shoulda been the first reply.

inki

If its true it could be cool. I see no reason to change anything up though (not buying a new ps4 I mean). Could just sport the new thinner chip.

Even if fake, I love the design, but i don't need to upgrade as the PS4 sits out of my living room hidden in an AV cabinet anyway.

I'm not sure whether the images are real or not, but I'm confused by the 'it says confidential so must be fake argument'.

Every formal document where I work has to have an information security classification, which is on the front page and every footer. More often than not it's 'confidential'.

Yeah, work I do requires I often have to type 'attorney/client privileged' haphazardly into even .txt notes I take. I'm positive we have files with similar verbiage in the file names.

If there's one reason it's fake its the absurdly small size. It looks like it would be more expensive for Sony to manufacture than the current design as it would require SSD. Isn't the point of redesign to lower production costs?

Loptous

Am I the only one who thinks the perspective is pretty bad on the first pic too?
Could be a trick of the eye, but it looks really messed up.

Anyway, it's an obvious fake.

i-Jest

I don't envision the thing having sufficient ventilation. Could be fake though. I don't know. I'm not an engineer.

Green Yoshi

Halving the number of RAM chips isn't magically going to lead to a ~50% reduction in the size of the console. Especially since they're in clamshell configuration in the PS4 already.

That's true, but perhaps AMD found a way to shrink the APU. And they could replace the HDD with a SSD. But that would increase the price and would only make sense if they sell both PS4 versions.

daveo42

Banned
Not expecting any major console redesign until 2016 at its earliest.

No way it's that small. Would be a thermal nightmare.

Yup, no intake vents anywhere on that thing, at least based on that "mock" up. It looks like someone chopped off the bottom of the PS4 and shrunk it a bit to make this image.

EatMyFace

Banned
wow thats crazy

maybe you don't have a HD anymore and you have to attach your own

that could reduce the size

so glad i have not bought my second one yet

thanks op
lol no chance

LoJArC9.jpg

If this is real and it really is that small, it just makes the Xbox One looks even more ridiculous by comparison.

The same people that make jokes about Obama in company mails. ;-)
Sony Pictures =/= Sony Computer Entertainment

good lord!!
That is tiny!!

Is it a media only version of Playstation possibly??
....It just seems too good to be true...like smaller than Wii U!!

Krakn3Dfx

Unpossible.

Even if they moved the PSU externally, I don't think they could pull off this kind of downsize so soon.

Also, if they moved the PSU externally, that would piss me off.

Make it $100 cheaper and i still probably won't buy it.

PS4 haez no gaemz!

Top Bottom