• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 System Software Update 4.50 Features Detailed

But wait, there's more (to come)...

"This is just a taste of the features included in system software 4.50, so make sure to keep an eye out for more information, including launch timing, in the upcoming weeks."

ethomaz

Banned
That is a great update.

I prefer a big HDD on the system but a External HDD is really well come to some situations and it is cheaper than 2.5" fast HDD.

JP

I'll be honest, I never thought this would happen. I always had the feeling that this was something they really didn't want to happen for some reason. Fantastic news though.
External HDD support

Struggling to find space for all the games you want to play? Well worry no more; you can now connect a USB 3.0 external HDD and download, save and install games, apps and add-ons directly onto your removable HDD. You can also move any games and apps you’ve already saved onto it to help you stay organised.

When you connect the external HDD, everything will be accessible from your PS4 Home Screen as normal. What’s more, your PS4 will support an external HDD up to 8TB in size, giving you a huge amount of space to play with.
Will it support full USB 3.0 speed though? Am I correct in remembering that internal SATA drives are slower they should be for a SATA bus?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
blog.us.playstation.com/2017/02/03/ps4-system-software-update-4-50-features-detailed/

Omg external hdd support megaton.

External HDD Support
Upto 8tb

Custom Wallpapers

Quick Menu Refresh

Simplified Notification List

Post on PlayStation Network Activity Feeds

3D Blu-rays on PlayStation VR

Dont play with my heart....

Now all they need to announce is B/C. lol Naw, this is great, great news.

I don't get it... External DD Support ? For what ? Game installation ?

But the external HDD is plugged in USB ? So performance for games would be disastreous ?

Wow, surprised to see custom wallpapers come back after they came out with static themes.

But the external HDD is plugged in USB ? So performance for games would be disastreous ?

Performance shouldn't be an issue if you use USB 3 drives.

jennetics

yesjacknicholson.gif

Fucking yyeesssssss

Assanova

I finally won't have to choose which games to keep on my hard drive. This was keeping me from making purchases on these PSN store. Looks like I have almost no reason to buy a PS4 Pro now.

KaoteK

Hell fucking yeah, was just about to post this same news, but there is ashtrays someone quicker on GAF :)

Awesome news.

ethomaz

Banned
this is fake for sure, there is no mention to stability
Major updates doesn't have stability... 2.00, 2.50, 3.00, 3.50, 4.00...

Wait the 4.51, 4.52, 4.53... with stability enough.

USB 3.0 can handle even faster than internal 5400RPM PS4 HDD.

You will see performance improvement (with faster 3.5" HDDs) unless you have a SSHD or SSD internally on PS4.

danowat

Banned

Nope, doesn't affect the XBO at all, can't see why it would be an issue with the PS4.

As for drives, anyone know if its possible to use USB powered, rather than mains powered, drives.

Caayn

For games indeed. The internal drive is also connected through USB for some strange reason.

External USB drive won't perform "disastrous" as USB 3.0 has a bandwidth cap of 5Gbps. Which is higher than SATA2 and almost as good as SATA3. No mechanical drive will be limited by USB 3.0.

Rymuth

But wait, there's more (to come)...

"This is just a taste of the features included in system software 4.50, so make sure to keep an eye out for more information, including launch timing, in the upcoming weeks."
Still hoping this is the PS1 classics update. Couldn't care less about external HDD

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, surprised to see custom wallpapers come back after they came out with static themes.

Well, the catch is that it sounds like it'll only let you use screenshots, since there's no way to currently transfer images to the PS4. It sounds that way from the blog post too.
I'd really rather have the ability to select multiple themes and have it cycle through them.

Carn82

I think the issues are the speeds of USB 2.0 not being enough to run the game from External HDD.

yeah I thought as much. Oh well. I put in a 2Tb unit thats not full yet so I`ll manage, hehe.
I wonder if the usb3 bandwith beats the internal SATA bandwith

Varth

Well, the catch is that it sounds like it'll only let you use screenshots, since there's no way to currently transfer images to the PS4. It sounds that way from the blog post too.
I'd really rather have the ability to select multiple themes and have it cycle through them.

Upload stuff, take a screen from the browser, done.

Top Bottom