• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 version of Black Ops III has scaling/dynamic resolution?

thelastword

Banned
Because without it, it would measurably dip even further.
Watch the video, the game tears and drops massive frames in every firefight, even last gen, I never saw such massive drops in a COD campaign. SO far this gen, no COD campaign have had such an abysmal framerate. Are you saying that this game would be a 20fps COD had it not been for dynamic resolution? The game is dropping to the 30's quite often here.

If it is that the campaign's performance is much worse without DR, what does this say about the developer, every other COD this gen has maintained a solid "Cod like 60fps", why is this one an outlier? Is it a generation ahead of AW relative to visuals? Many would disagree.

Watch the video, the game tears and drops massive frames in every firefight, even last gen, I never saw such massive drops in a COD campaign. SO far this gen, no COD campaign have had such an abysmal framerate. Are you saying that this game would be a 20fps COD had it not been for dynamic resolution? The game is dropping to the 30's quite often here.

If it is that the campaign's performance is much worse without DR, what does this say about the developer, every other COD this gen has maintained a solid "Cod like 60fps", why is this one an outlier? Is it a generation ahead of AW relative to visuals? Many would disagree.

Honestly, I hate to try and white knight a game dev. Give me a perfect game. This game is not perfect, ergo, do better.

That being said, there is no way a developer employs some type of dynamic res algorithm if it doesn't boost framerate. Just from a logical standpoint, its, well, totally illogical.

I was basing my opinion on the non-technical process of playing the game, not watching game feeds. Until someone can do that measurement consistently, its my opinion that the game holds true to its GOAL of trying to maintain 60fps. Not always successful but not a botched job either. I'm ok with being proven wrong but I feel folks like Digital Foundry will say something like "for the most part, COD does maintain a near 60fps experience with obvious exceptions in heavy firefights." not "for the most part, the game hovers at 30fps with the occasional spikes to 60fps when there is no action".

nOoblet16

The game might not look as good as AW aesthetically but it is more complex as it is doing a lot more with larger areas, more effects (no half assed SSR, more complex water, more shadow casting light sources, more particles etc), volumetric lights, a lot more enemies (with different variations this time around). The game is considerably busier and ambitious game than AW.

The game's SP framerate is in line with last gen COD games actually, apart from the 30FPS cutscenes that can drop the framerate in half for any duration from 2 seconds (pressing a button) to a minute or two (for set pieces).

hawk2025

The game might not look as good as AW aesthetically but it ismore complex as it is doing a lot more with larger areas, more effects, volumetric lights, more enemies (with different variations this time around). It's generally a lot busier and ambitious game than AW.

Can't say I've noticed it being busier or larger than AW on the first two missions, and it sure as hell was dropping frames way more than AW did during those.

leng jai

AW had dips but from memory it ran much better than this. I was expecting almost perfect performance from this game with the 3 year dev cycle.

Elandyll

Banned
Lol. Since when was resolution so important?

It's been going on for years, man

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-rr7-the-1080p-dream-blog-entry

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/halo_3/news/bungie_confirms_halo_3_is_not_720p.html

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/grand-theft-auto-iv-ps3-vs-xbox-360-special-article?page=2

http://insidethedigitalfoundry.blogspot.com/2008/09/wipeout-hds-1080p-sleight-of-hand.html

To be clear, as soon as output resolution wasn't mandated anymore (with the apparition of HD and upscaling) for consoles, it became a thing. Although you probably could find examples of internal resolution rendering controversies even before that.
On PC, it was pretty much always a thing but was mostly depending on hardware/ $$ spent generally (the fights between Graphic cards manufacturers fans were and still are very prevalent though).

Only played the campaign for a few missions so far, I did notice a bit of stutter when there are lots going on and big explosions but it didn't stop me enjoying it.

Maybe it will be patched again to sort this issue if gets really bad but multi-player feels rock solid though, not noticed any visible stutter at all and to most COD fans, that's the most important thing.

Will be interesting to see what Digital Foundry find and how the Xbox version performs, but I'm more than happy with the PS4 version so far.

slapnuts

AW had dips but from memory it ran much better than this. I was expecting almost perfect performance from this game with the 3 year dev cycle.

But these are from two different developers right, AW and BLOPS3? From my past experience...different developers produce difference results. To me....i didn't think BLOPS3 looked any better than AW...in fact there are times when i say AW looks better but that is all opinion.

thelastword

Banned
Honestly, I hate to try and white knight a game dev. Give me a perfect game. This game is not perfect, ergo, do better.

That being said, there is no way a developer employs some type of dynamic res algorithm if it doesn't boost framerate. Just from a logical standpoint, its, well, totally illogical.

I was basing my opinion on the non-technical process of playing the game, not watching game feeds. Until someone can do that measurement consistently, its my opinion that the game holds true to its GOAL of trying to maintain 60fps. Not always successful but not a botched job either. I'm ok with being proven wrong but I feel folks like Digital Foundry will say something like "for the most part, COD does maintain a near 60fps experience with obvious exceptions in heavy firefights." not "for the most part, the game hovers at 30fps with the occasional spikes to 60fps when there is no action".
Fair enough, but the goal is to hit 60fps much more consistently than it is doing now, especially if you consider the legacy of past titles. This is just the stats of a newfound comparison channel, but we can wait on the more seasoned channels, DF and Nxgamer to weigh in with more details. The first look just does not look that good, hopefully the day1 patch will sort many of these issues.

KillerAJD

Didn't notice any visual clarity drops, but playing with another friend, I noticed occasional framerate drops (on PS4). While lots of shit was popping off is when I noticed it most, but also during some of the cutscenes too (or at least, mid gameplay when they take control away). It was actually distracting when it would take control and the framerate felt like it was cut in half. MP seemed solid though, and we didn't try Zombies. Playing on a PC monitor a foot away from me, so I would assume I would notice huge drops in resolution, but I was moving around so much that it probably wouldn't make any difference anyways.

Top Bottom