• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 vs PS1/PS2/PS3 in sales so far

DBT85

For those who want it in graph form:

WLo7oZV.png

Excellent, thank you. We just need a bit more PS3 data in there to cover the last 12 months.

Would be nice if the thread could be updated when they announce new numbers but I realise that over the years it's going to get forgotten.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Excellent, thank you. We just need a bit more PS3 data in there to cover the last 12 months.

Would be nice if the thread could be updated when they announce new numbers but I realise that over the years it's going to get forgotten.

Yeah, if someone throws me some more numbers, I'll put them in there.

A lot of this speaks to the efficiency and capacity of industrial manufacturing these days.

Those factories in China can sure make a lot of stuff. To be able to put out that many boxes in so many territories at once is crazy. The numbers are a bit skewed from the ps2 days because of that though

Makes me wish they would have targeted a more powerful $500 machine. Specs bring hype, no doubt about it. Just look at the reaction to the 8GB GDDR5 announcement. Imagine if it were 2.5TFlops and 200+ GB/s of bandwidth on top of that. It would make the XB1 look even less appealing.

Makes me wish they would have targeted a more powerful $500 machine. Specs bring hype, no doubt about it. Just look at the reaction to the 8GB GDDR5 announcement. Imagine if it were 2.5TFlops and 200+ GB/s of bandwidth on top of that. It would make the XB1 look even less appealing.

I don't think they would have reached this amount of sales yet with a $100 higher price tag. That value point is a huge deal. Of course, it doesn't hurt that the console is still pretty powerful.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Nobody would have given a shit.

Ty4on

Pretty astonishing looking back at the PSOne and how long it took it to reach 10 million.

Yay graphs

It had a very slow start before the heavy hitters came around in 97-98. I remember someone posting an article about the N64 outselling it in the US and how it looked like the N64 would win the console war.

I think it will do quite well, but it's too early to tell how well it will do.

Momentary

Banned
They are bunching up sales from different territories. It was months before those other consoles reached the number of territories PS4 had released in.

I'm definitely not impressed if that's the total number of units they've sold so far. It actually looks pretty grim.

Radec

They are bunching up sales from different territories. It was months before those other consoles reached the number of territories PS4 had released in.

I'm definitely not impressed if that's the total number of units they've sold so far. It actually looks pretty grim.

What.

They are selling every unit they can produce. Especially in the US.

If they made 10million PS4's by the end of January, you'll be seeing 10million sold to consumers pretty soon.

Emitan

Sony has done so much exactly right with the handling of the ps4 it's almost scary.

Pay to play online
No backwards compatibility
No custom game soundtracks
No Japanese representation
No way to organize the home screen
Controller has a light on it that you cannot turn off for literally no reason

DBT85

Yeah, if someone throws me some more numbers, I'll put them in there.

All data from here
https://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdataps3_sale_e.html

PS3 launches in November, so the first Q (Q3) covers 2 months.

5 months = 3.5 - End of FY 2006 March 31st
8 months = 4.2 June 30th
11 months = 5.5 September 30th
14 months = 10.4 December 31st
17 months = 12.6 End of FY 2007 March 31st
20 months = 14.2 June 30th
23 months = 16.6 September 30th
26 months = 21.1 December 31st
29 months = 22.7 End of FY 2008 March 31st

I don't think they would have reached this amount of sales yet with a $100 higher price tag. That value point is a huge deal. Of course, it doesn't hurt that the console is still pretty powerful.

An extra $100 wouldn't have mattered. There's too much pent up demand from the last gen dragging on for too long. The only reason they might not have reached this many sales is because a more powerful system might be harder to produce.

Aesius

PS4 heralds my arrival back to Sony.

I had PS1, PS2, skipped PS3 in favor of Xbox 360 (no regrets). Now I'm back on the Sony bandwagon.

Long live Playstation.

Pay to play online
The only one of those that's a real issue is the pay for online and it's negated by the fact that everyone should have PS+ for the games anyways.

Edit: Ok Japan rep is a problem but it's not Sony's fault so much as the Japanese industry's fault.

joecanada

wow i forgot how slow ps1 started... also ps3 doesn't look as bad as i thought it would....
PS4 is going nuts but i think the slight flattening of the curve may mean it doesn't keep pace with ps2 eventually.... it's already a hit though.

Pay to play online

The quote isn't implying that they did everything right, just that they did a lot of things right. A hell of a lot more than they did with the PS3, and (more importantly) a lot more than XBone did.

cajunator

Banned
Pay to play online

I dont like the way everything is setup on Ps4 compared to Ps3 either. The Ps3 setup was pretty slick. Easy to find everything. now its all loaded down with huge space sucking pictures and things that make it look like a social website. Which is probably what they were looking for but Im not keen on it.

Ace001

So they are selling everything they can make and that's not good enough? Suggest where they can go from here and how they can make that number more impressive

Sublyminal

Neo Member

So them selling out every single unit they have managed to produce is grim? whut?

Deadstar

Not really a surprise. The third movie of a trilogy always brings in the most money. Also, everyone was thirsty for next gen. Though it is kind of sad that there are so many units out there but no games. I hope it turns into a ps2 situation where we get BLOODY ROAR and other awesome games. Where is the Bloody Roar announcement, where is the Soul Calibur announcement? Where is MK? Nothing is announced and it's killing me.

slapnuts

Pay to play online

A lot of your negatives in your negative list there does not mean much to the "Majority" of gamers ...just saying. Also some of your list will be fixed with firmware updates...for sure.

Yeah, the power difference would arguably matter less if PS4 was stronger but matched XBone's price tag. The big reason why it matters now is that PS4 is giving you more for less.

They're currently at the sweet spot where they're stronger enough to be noticeable to the people who care, but cheap enough (both relative to the 'bone and in an absolute sense) for those who don't.

Im so down for another PS2 era. If this console takes off in Japan than its very possible. One of the reasons why I think the home console market shrunk in Japan was due to the rough PS3 struggles and Japan just didn't care about the Xbox. Now in the last few years we have been seeing a good amount of Japanese PS3 support. Hopefully with the Japan line up things will go well since its a very Japanese friendly launch imo.

GhaleonEB

Two super obvious observations going off the graph.

The PS4's launch is way ahead of prior generations, to a degree I did not anticipate. We can attirbute the global nature of modern console launches, as compared to prior generations, to part of that. But certainly not all.

It also highlights how early in the generation we are. We'll be able to see when this pace flattens out pretty quickly.

I love my PS4, but let's not forget that there are more gamers now than ever before. And with the console priced at $400, that's cheaper than the launch price of the PS3 (also the PS2? I forget), and that's not even accounting for inflation.

slapnuts

Only the weak consoles are dying. Ain't nobody got time for 720p.

It seems a ton of gamers were so ready to move onto next gen and i can understand why being such a long strung out last generation..it was painful for a lot of us..especially us PC gamers that love console gaming just as much. I mean i would rarely play console games the last 2 years because i simply couldn't take it anymore..i just mostly gamed on PC for the most part..outside of a few PS3 exclusives that were marvels to behold.

Now that the new hardware is out...its just a bit of waiting until next gen heats up with spectacular looking/playing games. Great thing for me is that i have both my gaming PC and PS4 connected to my 55 inch plasma...it's a awesome combo for any gamer but getting back to my point..a lof of the people i know i could tell they were no longer being impressed with last gen games the last few years besides a few here, there, etc

I wanna see this 10 months out. Also, I'd like for someone to do an amalgamation of first years PS2 sales using all the territories the PS4 is available in - comparing first year PS2 in only japan to first year PS4 worldwide is a little unfair, especially if you see the huge jump PS2 got in it's second year (after wide release).

Two super obvious observations going off the graph.

The PS4's launch is way ahead of prior generations, to a degree I did not anticipate. We can attirbute the global nature of modern console launches, as compared to prior generations, to part of that. But certainly not all.

It also highlights how early in the generation we are. We'll be able to see when this pace flattens out pretty quickly.

What it really says is that Sony (and MS) ramped up early production significantly versus prior launches.

I think the most important thing about that graph is that, despite the PS3's horrible launch, and the perception that the PS2 was such a killer console at launch, that the gaming industry grew enough in those years that the PS3 actually outpaced the PS2 in early growth.

Also, Sony's shortage during the PS2 era was prolific. Took me a like 6 months on a waiting list to get a PS2.

Lettuce

Bit of a worthless comparison really, i mean you cant possible compare the sales of say the PS1 or even the PS2 to PS4 sales....gaming is soo much more mainstream in 2014 than it was in 1995 so of course sales will be up when comparing

Wii U had a really good start, but then completely collapsed.

Going by Jan NPD report and the fact that they are nearly 1m X1 console still on shelves, I expect the X1 to follow a similar path.

It had good start because Nintendo flooded the market with consoles (those are shipped numbers for WiiU). In retail it hasn't never done that well. Decent start in US and Japan and horrible in Europe.

slapnuts

Yeah, the power difference would arguably matter less if PS4 was stronger but matched XBone's price tag. The big reason why it matters now is that PS4 is giving you more for less.

They're currently at the sweet spot where they're stronger enough to be noticeable to the people who care, but cheap enough (both relative to the 'bone and in an absolute sense) for those who don't.
..yes along with instant social media/interaction like twitter, facebook, reddit,etc,etc with a huge rise in smartphone for instant info anywhere.. this time around unlike last gen launch has more people that are much more informed than ever before..so much more than last gen launch...so i truly believe a lot of "casual" gamers and consumers which make up the majority of console sales are so much more informed on power difference of the two consoles, plus and minus of each console,etc...

The economy is still pretty stagnated as well...the dollar is weak as hell so price really does matter...especially like you said..more for less being a HUGE factor.

Top Bottom