• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4s Alleged Overheating Problems: Developers Say they Don’t Exist

Vooduu

wdt0nQD.jpg

studyguy

This proves anyone can start a rumor.

I'm not going to say who, but I've heard from a friend of a cousin of an uncle who QAs for Sony that the PS4 in fact overcools. Getting so cold that the system drops your ambient room temperature a few degrees. I heard someone got sick from this. #psFLU

protonion

Cerny back in July said that PS4 consumes less power than ps3 slim. So less heat at the same size with a more advanced cooling system.

In what way could it overheat except for fan failure or bad placement?

I went to the Swedish game show Gamex yesterday and had the chance to try out some games on a PS4. The console was inside a quite small plastic encasement underneath the TV. There was a palm sized hole cut out in the plastic, leaving me free to touch the console through. The PS4 was quite hot, like my PS3 slim inside my TV bench after some hours of gaming. Nothing alarming though.

Oh, and Octodad got bumped to the top of my most anticipated games list. Knack felt a bit simple, Killzone will be my opening FPS for the PS4 and Resogun exploded everywhere.

Damaniel

Banned
I seriously doubt that either the PS4 or Xbox One are going to have overheating problems. The power consumption of both systems is so low that you'd have to pretty much run the console for hours upon hours in a solid, unvented box to get it to overheat....

...oh, wait.

(Seriously, I doubt there's anything to this rumor. Both consoles may have their share of limitations and issues, but overheating isn't going to be one of them.)

DR3AM

When a xbone rumor is started, OMG fuck you ms (cboat, slow ui)

When a ps4 rumor is started, OMG lock the thread (annoyed gamer, overheating)

If and when developers or other insiders start backing up this rumour, then you can bitch about 'The SonyGAF'. Right now, it's only one person.

FranXico

No they weren't. They were backed by "insiders" who referenced unnamed developers. I'm not talking about resolution rumors. I am referring to the "snap crashing" and "broken OS" rumors.

Well, I was talking about the resolution rumors, not "snap crashing" or broken XBL.
Those last rumors have not been backed by anyone, and therefore died away.

Corto

But if you have a high enough podium to increase your reach even better. Critical damage!

As any rumor you have to be discerning. How many are saying the same thing or similar? What's their track record? Is it plausible? And even then only reality can corroborate them in a definitive way. So, take them all with a pinch of salt. Even Cboat.

Well, I was talking about the resolution rumors, not "snap crashing" or broken XBL.
Those last rumors have not been backed by anyone, and therefore died away.

Died away? After maybe a week of "outrage" demanding MS show a video of snap working ASAP because unless it was proven otherwise, snap was clearly broken (according to insiders). It only died away once non-MS videos starting showing up demonstrating things working properly.

Lokbob

Just out of curiosity, is marcus beer actually writing or reviewing like anything?
Or is all hes contributing as a 'journalist' just his little show?

Ploid 3.0

It would be awkward if the standby color ends up being red. Standby is probably no light, is there a light on the front by the buttons?

Owzers

But if you have a high enough podium to increase your reach even better. Critical damage!

As any rumor you have to be discerning. How many are saying the same thing or similar? What's their track record? Is it plausible? And even then only reality can corroborate them in a definitive way. So, take them all with a pinch of salt. Even Cboat.

Not to mention that Marcus seemed to use this "rumor" as retaliation for Sony not allowing earlier ps4 access. It was thrown out so casually with no intent to follow up on something that gamers would actually care about if true.

I'm not going to say who, but I've heard from a friend of a cousin of an uncle who QAs for Sony that the PS4 in fact overcools. Getting so cold that the system drops your ambient room temperature a few degrees. I heard someone got sick from this. #psFLU

Oh, this may make summers in Japan bearable!

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

The most fascinating thing is when A creates a rumors, B picks it up without mentioning that A is the source, and A then uses B as "source" for the confirmation of the rumor.

McLovin

Some desperate ass fanboy started this. I guess all the negative X1 news drove him/her over the edge. Kind of sad really.

Zutroy

This is so cool that I wish it was true. Can we spread it anyway?

OMG GAIZ I HERD FROM RELIABEL SAUCEZ THAT THE XBONE PULLS OUT A GUN AND SHOOTS YOU IN THE HEAD WHILE YOU ARE AZLEEP. MICROSOFT NEEDS TO QUASH DIS RUMOUR!!!!!!

Seriously, this guy is a joke, just trying to spread FUD before the consoles come out. And he retreats to the "I preordered already" defense when he gets called out by people with actual sources.

Blackage

Hey guys, was this video the reason Marcus thought it had overheating issues?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDRQKGNktiI

Just google search PS4 + Overheating or Playstation 4 + Overheating before Saturday.

It was rather thin, but it's not like the rumor came out of thin-air. I think Marcus was the first person to drag it into the forefront.

Jedi2016

A real thing, yes, but the second part of the equation is that when they opened up the sealed enclosure it was in, the system promptly cooled off and returned to full functionality with no other intervention. It certainly didn't "kill" the system. Unlike other overheating systems, this one is apparently smart enough to turn itself off before any real damage is done. Imagine that.

Replicant

A real thing, yes, but the second part of the equation is that when they opened up the sealed enclosure it was in, the system promptly cooled off and returned to full functionality with no other intervention. It certainly didn't "kill" the system. Unlike other overheating systems, this one is apparently smart enough to turn itself off before any real damage is done. Imagine that.

Nah, it's a photoshop and a hack job too. Instead of using Hue/Saturation or Color Balance to change the color from blue to red, whoever did it just use brush tool and paint red over the blue.

Amateur.

Top Bottom