• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 has sold 10 million consoles

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Veronica Rogers, SVP, Global Head of Business Operations
We are thrilled to announce that as of July 18th, 2021, we have sold more than 10 million PlayStation 5 consoles globally. This makes PS5 the fastest-selling console in the history of Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) and we couldn’t be more excited about the amazing response of our fans.
Pushing through supply challenges and a global pandemic, we’re proud to have delivered a transformational gaming experience that is captivating players around the world. Everyone at SIE put their all into making the PlayStation experience better than ever. I’d like to call out a couple of teams who made especially important contributions.
Our Product Development team delivered amazing innovations including lightning-fast SSD, immersive 3D audio, and the dynamic DualSense controller with haptic feedback and adaptive triggers. Their talent, perseverance, and creativity laid the foundation for the entire PS5 ecosystem.
Since the console launched in November, PlayStation Studios has accelerated the momentum of incredibly successful titles that showcase the capabilities of PS5. Looking ahead, the lineup of exclusive games coming from PlayStation Studios includes a new God of War from Santa Monica Studios, Gran Turismo™ 7 from Polyphony Digital, and Horizon Forbidden West from Guerrilla Games. Some of the highly anticipated games from SIE’s partners include Battlefield 2042 from Electronic Arts, DEATHLOOP from Bethesda, Far Cry® 6 From Ubisoft, and Kena: Bridge of Spirits from Ember Lab.
Additionally, our Hardware Engineering and Operations team was vital in providing the resources to build the physical PS5 units and partnered with our global Business Operations teams to deliver PlayStation 5 from its origin point to markets and customers around the world. Both of these teams, and their tireless efforts, were absolutely critical in delivering 10M units during this historic year.
We are incredibly grateful to our fans for the terrific reception of PS5 and our growing portfolio of gaming entertainment. Without your support and confidence, this early success would not have been possible. We are making steady progress with available global supply and can’t wait for the day when everyone who wants a PS5 can easily get one.
Our commitment to supporting PlayStation’s entire community, across all platforms and services, has never been stronger. So, wherever gamers are on their journey with us, we are committed to making sure that PlayStation is the best place to play.
Thank you!

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
Where? I don’t have mine yet and I still can’t go to a local Best Buy or a local Walmart at 9pm to pick one up….sorry but I refuse to believe it only because of how hard it has become to get a PS5. Shit I was lucky to get a Series X and I didn’t even want that to be honest. Also online stores have still have not come up with a way to fight the bots and people going out of their way to buy more than one. I wish Sony would talk about how they plan on fixing that.

Last edited:

Yoboman

10 MILLION CONSOLES !!!
Meme Streaming GIF

Derktron

Banned
Follow some of the restock bots on Discord and just hope you are ready when they go live
I don't have time for that crap, that is stupid how we still have to follow some moron on Twitter or some bot on Discord just to tell us the PS5 will be out of stock by the moment you even attempt to try and get one. Like I said when I can go to Walmart at 12 AM and pick up a PS5 then I would say. Wow, the PS5 is selling so much because I got one

MrA

First to 10 million.
Is that quick?

faster than anything else to that point, needs to sell 4 million more by the end of October to pull ahead of the switches first year, it will be tight, the next 2 months are usually pretty bad for game sales but you know everything is squirrelly right now so maybe it will sell over the switch, maybe.
It will probably take back fastest selling console again after this holiday season regardless of the end of the first year
, then will jockey with the switch for fastest-selling till the 4th year when the switch will probably pull ahead substantially (2020 was nuts for the switch) then the tail will decide wether or not it pulls ahead again
to clarify I'm talking about units sold until that point in the consols life, switch sold 14 million in 12 months but the switch has the holiday sales period late vs the ps5 launching during the holiday sales season

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Where? I don’t have mine yet and I still can’t go to a local Best Buy or a local Walmart at 9pm to pick one up….sorry but I refuse to believe it only because of how hard it has become to get a PS5. Shit I was lucky to get a Series X and I didn’t even want that to be honest. Also online stores have still have not come up with a way to fight the bots and people going out of their way to buy more than one. I wish Sony would talk about how they plan on fixing that.
they can't lie to their investors. Covid19 is the reason why they aren't doing retail store sales.

Bestbuy is finally doing rtx 3000 series sales in stores and you have to lineup 10 hours before the store opens to get the card you want. Would you be willing to do that? Not me.

Now, that we know relative numbers of sold consoles this year - though the release window ends in October or November? - will be interesting to compare it the next year. Though Xbox won't be able to outsell PS due to PC releases and Game Pass, but even without exclusive games it stayed strong these 8 months.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I don't have time for that crap, that is stupid how we still have to follow some moron on Twitter or some bot on Discord just to tell us the PS5 will be out of stock by the moment you even attempt to try and get one. Like I said when I can go to Walmart at 12 AM and pick up a PS5 then I would say. Wow, the PS5 is selling so much because I got one
Yeah I get it I was just trying to help though

T-Cake

This is just totally bizarre. It feels like there only 2-3 million users but 10 million and you still can't frickin' get one?! Mind boggles.

Evilms

Banned
giphy.gif

For the first 3 quarters:

-PS5: + 10.2 million
-PS4 : 10.2 million
-Wii : 9.27 million
-Switch : 7.63 million
-3DS : 6.68 million
-Xbox Series X+S : 6.5 million
-Xbox One : 5.7 million
-Xbox 360 : 5 millions
-PS3 : 4.32 million
-Wii U : 3.61 million

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
Impressive for Sony, though when demand catches up to supply I still don't think it will ever reach Switch levels.

Switch sold 28.8 million last fiscal year and PS4 sold 20 in it's best year.

Switch was also sold out for years before demand was met, but less were made as Nintendo did not come close to anticipating it's success and supply chains were initially weak.

Last edited:
Top Bottom