• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Heatsink and Fan Comparison with PS4 & PS4 Pro's

Md Ray

The goal of this thread is to give a bit of perspective of what Sony has created with PS5 in terms of its cooling solution compared to its outgoing PS4 and PS4 Pro's cooling solution.

Fan Comparison

Launch PS4 Fan (85mm):
RFpuLLV.png

Launch PS4 Pro Fan (95mm):
tXooG9J.png

Launch PS5 Fan (120mm):
15jN346.png

Heatsink Comparison

Launch PS4 Heatsink:
uImxpUl.png

ncUEpyi.png

Launch PS4 Pro Heatsink:
ek0GU10.png

1LJeqAC.png

Launch PS5 Heatsink:
h9JYhbd.png

QEYO8Fp.png

eX4ndnU.png

CMwxJat.png

6 heat pipes?

That's a pretty substantial upgrade, especially the heatsink. It's enormous compared to PS4 and PS4 Pro's tiny heatsinks with 2-3 heat pipes. On top of this, liquid metal is being used as thermal interface material between the PS5's heatsink and the main SoC. It's a serious business. Sony is definitely not messing around this time.

From Sony's blog post:
We felt it was inevitable to make a generational leap in terms of performance in order to deliver a new, next-generation gaming experience. However, to do so, we had to balance every aspect of the system, from focusing on reducing the noise level to enhancing the cooling capacity, more than ever before.

We’ve also highlighted the mechanism in the video below that we’ve incorporated into the PS5 console to make the operating sounds even quieter.
After an extensive and complex trial and error process, we were pleased with the end result and I can not wait for our fans to get their hands on the PS5 console and “hear” it for themselves.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
That's cool. Though I wouldn't trust Sony's marketing talk at all. Their claim of PS4 being "balanced" system must not have included the jet-engine attached to the cooler.
I'm all for not trusting gaming companies all the time... but they designed the entire PS5 around cooling lol, it's pretty clear Cerny took comments about the loud PS4/Pro to heart.

Ellery

Awesome. Exactly how I like it (judging from the pictures) and I hope it turns out that it will operate at much lower noise levels [than the PS4] when this console will be brought to it's limits by the talented Playstation first party studios bringing us the best looking and graphically most impressive games next generation.

GHG

That's cool. Though I wouldn't trust Sony's marketing talk at all. Their claim of PS4 being "balanced" system must not have included the jet-engine attached to the cooler.

The main problem with the PS4's was the inconsistency between various units.

I had a silent launch ps4 but then my pro unit is loud. It's an unfortunate case of YMMV for whatever reason and they need to sort that out for the PS5. The manufacturing process and QA needs to be looked at.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I had a silent launch ps4 but then my pro unit is loud. It's an unfortunate case of YMMV for whatever reason and they need to sort that out for the PS5. The manufacturing process and QA needs to be looked at.

Pretty much this, my launch PS4 is still quiet as well.

evanft

I think it's probably a combination of silicon lottery and thermal paste application variability.

Soodanim

Trust should never be freely given to console developers (I went through 2 PS2s and PS3s, no one gets a pass), but Sony get points for trying here. Actions speak louder than words, and they clearly put a lot of fucking effort into keeping temps (and hopefully noise) down this time round. You have to appreciate that as a consumer if it works as intended. I certainly would/will.

Last edited:

tryDEATH

That heat sink is impressive, but my god are you going to need to keep that huge thing from accumulating dust and dirt. No wonder they're recommend you vacuum your PS5 on a regular basis.

I know on PC those sort of CPU heat sinks don't get cleaned with vacuums, but with compressed air not sure you will be able to do that on the Playstation 5. Hope this doesn't become a issue, for people that don't do the required maintenance.

Yoboman

Yeah I remember Sony saying that

“Sony’s doing things in their hardware to make it best that they can. We’re doing things to our hardware to make it the best that we can. I don’t believe the difference between these systems will be as significant as comparing individual components. How is it that a 400 HP Porsche can be faster than a 700 HP Corvette?” — Overall it’s balance and trade offs and it’ll come down to the games,” he said in a video interview with Rev3games.

He also said that when he looks at the games on both platforms he doesn’t see much difference.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
So it’s the same basic design upgraded. Interesting. I guess that’s why the console is so large.

FrankWza

That heat sink is impressive, but my god are you going to need to keep that huge thing from accumulating dust and dirt. No wonder they're recommend you vacuum your PS5 on a regular basis.

I know on PC those sort of CPU heat sinks don't get cleaned with vacuums, but with compressed air not sure you will be able to do that on the Playstation 5. Hope this doesn't become a issue, for people that don't do the required maintenance.

It has dust collection spots to vacuum.

-Dust catching ports that have been built to withstand vacuuming.

bender

What time is it?
That's a really slick cooling solution. I imagine the console will be much more quiet than the PS4 Pro.

I still think the OG PS3 after years of usage was my loudest Playstation (PS4 Pro is the most ridiculous out of the box.) . It's pretty great that the side panels are end user removable and you can preform maintenance on the console (vacuum the dust catches) which will hopefully keep the system more quiet over time.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I am waiting for the thread about the ps5 screw quality.
This is actually a valid point.

The guy had 5 screwdrivers on the table of various sizes.

Better hope you got that head and the screw quality is solid. All it takes are shitty screws and it's stripped. Did that to my Pandora 5 as I needed to look into it as something was loose. Stripped. Had to drill out the bad screw. The screws used were really weird and small black screws which I couldn't even find matching ones at Home Depot. So I just left it with a missing one.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Yeah, same.

I just can't trust em with their history of sound pollution even after seeing this.

Completely fair and I'm with you. What gives me hope is they've mentioned noise reduction several times so at the very least, they seem confident with their solution.

nordique

My #1 hope for both of these consoles was for them to be quiet

Extremely happy with this. I get its big but whatever, give me a silent console over a small but noisy one any day

Ps4 pro was annoyingly loud

What a mess !
Letting the customers using screwdrivers opening the covers
Sony will run in to the truble with warranties

The hec?

People actually asked for this stuff. Removable faceplates without voiding warranty. In order to buy the plates from after market vendors with custom designs. It's good stuff.

Unless /s.

Last edited:

Arian71

Banned
The hec?

People actually asked for this stuff. Removable faceplates without voiding warranty. In order to buy the plates from after market vendors with custom designs. It's good stuff.
Is not just the covers, they look very fragile flexible, the stupid plate ,full exposure of the inside the console, people will venture in to trying to go further/unscrew things for a deep cleaning...
Really a gamble with a mass consumer product

Is not just the covers, they look very fragile flexible, the stupid plate ,full exposure of the inside the console, people will venture in to trying to go further/unscrew things for a deep cleaning...
Really a gamble with a mass consumer product

I think for that a screw hiding under a warranty void sticker must be removed first. What that does is remove the plastic cover. It can only be opened from one side (seems the left side plate).

But I understand the concern - some dummies will try to extend their luck with curiosity. Then complain online that Sony didn't honor warranty, and claim they "good boys" and "didn't do nothing". I guess that's bound to happen, even to Microsoft with the XSX. Humans will do what humans do.

Last edited:

Tomeru

This is actually a valid point.

The guy had 5 screwdrivers on the table of various sizes.

Better hope you got that head and the screw quality is solid. All it takes are shitty screws and it's stripped. Did that to my Pandora 5 as I needed to look into it as something was loose. Stripped. Had to drill out the bad screw. The screws used were really weird and small black screws which I couldn't even find matching ones at Home Depot. So I just left it with a missing one.

These are probably the same screws they use with ps4. Some torx screws with some philips screws. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

HoodWinked

the design is a mess. the heatsink looks exactly how they described it. oh wait that wasn't enough? add more heat pipes and heatsinks, still not enough? okay increase the dimensions of the console by another 10cm and stick on some more heatsinks. the fin stacks are not very well thought-out you can see it in the cutouts which increase the price of production and on the left side they put 4 heat pipes on that small satellite heatsink, and strangely the corner of that silver block which the SoC is under for some reason does not have any fins on it. it really doesn't look like a Sony/Japanese engineered piece of electronics there isn't that holistic approach to its design.

eX4ndnU.png

Last edited:

Venom Snake

the design is a mess. the heatsink looks exactly how they described it. oh wait that wasn't enough? add more heat pipes and heatsinks, still not enough? okay increase the dimensions of the console by another 10cm and stick on some more heatsinks. the fin stacks are not very well thought-out you can see it in the cutouts which increase the price of production and on the left side they put 4 heat pipes on that small satellite heatsink, and strangely the corner of that silver block which the SoC is under for some reason does not have any fins on it. it really doesn't look like a Sony/Japanese engineered piece of electronics there isn't that holistic approach to its design.

eX4ndnU.png
How would you design that heatsink?

Amaranty

I think it's probably a combination of silicon lottery and thermal paste application variability.
I have applied thermal paste twice for my PS4 Pro. Each time it remained quiet for about 2 weeks and then went back to its old jet engine levels of noise. I also used quality thermal paste.

My brother let a PC repair shop clean and apply new thermal paste for its OG PS4 and he had the same case. Quiet for about 2 weeks and then back to noisy again.

eX4ndnU.png

Well the Series X Vapor Chamber with the heatsink will definitely be cheaper.
But this isn't as bad as you make it sound. If you have the space, use it. Even if it looks like 3 heatsinks put together.
But yes, the manufacturing of this isn't that simple. It will require many steps.

Also they have a secondary heatsink:
tNPaS5l.png

v8hPFJw.png

Top Bottom