• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Heatsink and Fan Comparison with PS4 & PS4 Pro's

The main problem with the PS4's was the inconsistency between various units.

I had a silent launch ps4 but then my pro unit is loud. It's an unfortunate case of YMMV for whatever reason and they need to sort that out for the PS5. The manufacturing process and QA needs to be looked at.

I think the PS4's main problem was the heatsink wasn't clamped on directly. That is fixed on PS5.

Last edited:
the design is a mess. the heatsink looks exactly how they described it. oh wait that wasn't enough? add more heat pipes and heatsinks, still not enough? okay increase the dimensions of the console by another 10cm and stick on some more heatsinks. the fin stacks are not very well thought-out you can see it in the cutouts which increase the price of production and on the left side they put 4 heat pipes on that small satellite heatsink, and strangely the corner of that silver block which the SoC is under for some reason does not have any fins on it. it really doesn't look like a Sony/Japanese engineered piece of electronics there isn't that holistic approach to its design.

Ever think the people who have been working on PS5 for years actually know what they are doing - and you don't have a clue what you are talking about?

A wild concept, I know :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Do you get a kick out of posting something negative in every PS5 related topic? Every topic man...its large....its big....its large..
Just don't buy it and be done with the anguish you cause yourself.
I was simply making an observation. Maybe you have size envy?

SilentUser

Interesting thread Md Ray Md Ray ! The heatsink is truly giant haha. Too bad the thread it is already flooded with people that only hate the console and brings absolutely nothing to the topic.

Md Ray

That is a beast of a heat sink.
Indeed, the console itself is a beast. I'm very excited to see how devs leverage those Zen 2 cores on both consoles.
Well the Series X Vapor Chamber with the heatsink will definitely be cheaper.
But this isn't as bad as you make it sound. If you have the space, use it. Even if it looks like 3 heatsinks put together.
But yes, the manufacturing of this isn't that simple. It will require many steps.

Also they have a secondary heatsink:
tNPaS5l.png

v8hPFJw.png
Interesting. What's being cooled under that secondary heatsink, SSD? 🤔 Unable to watch the vid again as I'm away atm.
Interesting thread Md Ray Md Ray ! The heatsink is truly giant haha. Too bad the thread it is already flooded with people that only hate the console and brings absolutely nothing to the topic.
Thanks, RafaOrix. 🙂 They're definitely serious about the system's cooling this time. Mark Cerny wasn't lying when he said we'll be quite happy with the cooling solution of PS5. Of course, it remains to be seen until we get our hands on the console and "hear" it ourselves. But I'm convinced that PS5 will be a very quiet machine, in comparison.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Pretty much this, my launch PS4 is still quiet as well.

I think you're maybe just used to it, those things are not quiet at all. When I boot my slim PS3 it's like something is wrong because it's actually whisper quiet I'm like what the fuck is this thing on lol?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think you're maybe just used to it, those things are not quiet at all. When I boot my slim PS3 it's like something is wrong because it's actually whisper quiet I'm like what the fuck is this thing on lol?

Mine is quiet, out in the open on a shelf. Not a "jet engine" like others go on about. I have to get pretty close and put my ear up to it to hear it at all when it kicks up, an I play RDR2 every single day. When it starts to get a noticeable audible at a distance usually after about 2 years, I pop the top and dust off the fan, and it goes quiet again. But even then, no "jet engine," just a little noticeable at a distance with low volume on the sound system.

PS3SS that I have makes ZERO noise, that one is quite remarkable. The PS3Phat BC I still have, now that ramps up to a legit hairdryer, even after a reflow, thus I picked up a PS3SS in 2018 to complete DS for the plat.

Quite impressed with the size and no noise from the PS3SS in contrast. Great for a BR player as well.

Last edited:

Dodkrake

Banned
the design is a mess. the heatsink looks exactly how they described it. oh wait that wasn't enough? add more heat pipes and heatsinks, still not enough? okay increase the dimensions of the console by another 10cm and stick on some more heatsinks. the fin stacks are not very well thought-out you can see it in the cutouts which increase the price of production and on the left side they put 4 heat pipes on that small satellite heatsink, and strangely the corner of that silver block which the SoC is under for some reason does not have any fins on it. it really doesn't look like a Sony/Japanese engineered piece of electronics there isn't that holistic approach to its design.

eX4ndnU.png

Please send your CV to Sony, I'm sure they need experts like you to determine how good their cooling solution is.

Tomeru

eX4ndnU.png

That satellite part is nearest to the fan, so it gets lots of cool air.

Tomeru

i mean they were forced to clock extremely high so they could say 10.2 tflops on paper. it was horrible planning that forced them to have to even do all this.

the result is an underpowered and ginormous console that costs the same

Its a blessing that we can't smell posts online.

Ps5ProFoSho

i mean they were forced to clock extremely high so they could say 10.2 tflops on paper. it was horrible planning that forced them to have to even do all this.

the result is an underpowered and ginormous console that costs the same
Idiots. Should have just skipped this gen. They have no idea what they're doing🙄

Top Bottom