• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro devkits arrive at third-party studios, Sony expects Pro specs to leak

bender

What time is it?
It would be funny if the Pro actually does exist, but Sony decided since Nintendo delayed the Switch 2 to 2025 they don't need to release the Pro until 2025 also

With the recent news that Sony isn't planning on releasing any major title this year, it's not hard to imagine that they'd delay the launch of the Pro until they have a game that can showcase it.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
With the recent news that Sony isn't planning on releasing any major title this year, it's not hard to imagine that they'd delay the launch of the Pro until they have a game that can showcase it.
Why can’t they show of the console with a 3rd party title?

tmlDan

no major existing franchise, they will still have amazing looking new games that can show it off

Perrott

Remember the Horizon: Zero Dawn remake that got leaked through an XDEV document that was circulating online? I bet not only they could have that ready for this holiday, but that it'd make for a great showcase of PS5 Pro's capabilities as I'd imagine it to be running on the Forbidden West build of the engine but with RT features on top of it.

I know that's not something major in the way a Ghost of Tsushima 2 would be, but they're not going to delay the hardware waiting for that big first-party game because, per Hiroki Totoki's statement, DS2 isn't coming until after March 2025, at the earliest. Also, let's not pretend that last time around they launched the PS4 Pro with anything major, like, the original Horizon: Zero Dawn didn't come out until nearly four months after Pro's release.

And let's not forget that third-party games will be doing a lot of the heavy lifting, such as Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed Codename Red which is going to be huge and is expected to arrive this holiday.

JMZ555

Soon as i complete FF7 rebirth i will be looking to sell my PS5, nothing due out this year that i don't mind waiting on untill PS5 pro.

My only concern is if the Pro is digital only and you got to buy the disc drive separate, that would be lame.

Surly they wont do two Skus for the Pro?

saintjules

Soon as i complete FF7 rebirth i will be looking to sell my PS5, nothing due out this year that i don't mind waiting on untill PS5 pro.

My only concern is if the Pro is digital only and you got to buy the disc drive separate, that would be lame.

Surly they wont do two Skus for the Pro?

I think if anything with the Pro, if they even try a 2 SKU version it would be like what we have now. PS5 new base model and a detachable version that would be sold separately.

I'm expecting a Pro, but why not wait until an official announcement before selling the PS5? Would suck if in the rare case that it doesn't exist...

IDWhite

PS5 pro needs more than 16GB of RAM and at least a original Ps5+50% bandwidth if they pretend to feed a bigger GPU with new RT hardware and the tempest engine. Otherwise the console is going to underperform heavily.

Audiophile

Yup... the simple answer is cost.

In an ideal world, the PS5pro APU can be software-locked to perform like a base PS5. One would think that this would be a perfect way to make use of slightly defective chips, basically, chips that are defective enough not to be a PS5pro but still performant enough to be a PS5 which short of making two versions of the chip (still), is the only way this makes sense. But the problem is the cost. The issue becomes that, no matter what, no matter how you spin it, a PS5pro chip, will ALWAYs cost more than a PS5 chip.

Anyway, they go about achieving what you are suggesting, which would just end up costing them more. They are either making just one chip, then software tweaking it to have it act as either a PS5pro or PS5 APU, which would be ridiculous cost-wise, you are basically taking a $130+ APU and making it act like a sub $80 APU. Or they are making two versions of the APU, basically a PS5pro ($130+) and PS5 ($80) version, in which case the question becomes why go through all that and do even more R&D to get the vase PS5 variant of that chip when they already have a perfectly fine PS5 APU?
The only way I see them using the Pro APU in a base system would be to save up the defective chips, then then near the end of the generation as the base console is approaching end of life, tally them up and figure out how long of a production period they'd cover. If say they have enough to cover the last 9 months of production of the base PS5, then they could just stop production of the base system chips 7-8 months early and then use the surplus defective Pro chips to produce the final run of systems, with the chips hardware-limited or locked to "base mode" in the bios; and perhaps a minor modification to the thermal interface.

Audiophile

PS5 pro needs more than 16GB of RAM and at least a original Ps5+50% bandwidth if they pretend to feed a bigger GPU with new RT hardware and the tempest engine. Otherwise the console is going to underperform heavily.
I expect we'll probably see 16GB / 256-Bit again, but the chips will be bumped from 14Gbps to 18Gbps taking us from 448GB/s to 576GB/s..

Paired likely with a doubling in CPU cache and a considerable bump in GPU cache to further ease the load on RAM.

The SSD+I/O side will likely remain as is, as it's already more than capable of feeding the system.

In addition, they could add some LPDDR ram to offload non-Game functions. Making the full 16GB of GDDR6 available to games vs the current ~13.5GB. If they went for 4GB LPDDR5X on a 64-Bit interface they could offload all non-game functions and still have 1+GB left over to either make system functions more performant, add additional features, they could even expose it to devs to use as a small overflow or scratchpad, perhaps for low latency operations. Though if they took this route I'd expect they to go for the bare minimum approach and do something like 2GB LPDDR4 and give 15.5GB GDDR6 to devs.

As for what I'd like to see..... Just a straightforward 20GB GDDR6 (320-Bit 16-18Gbps) @ 640-720GB/s, paired with Zen 4C (2x the PS5 Zen 2 implementation's Cache) & 3D V-Cache on the GPU.

But yeah, real-world I expect 16GB @ 576GB/s (256-Bit 18Gbps), 2GB LPDDR4 & a CPU/GPU cache bump.

Looking ahead to PS6 I'd expect 32GB GDDR7 @ 1.0-1.2TB/s, considerable higher caches and the SSD will see a 2x bump just by way of a going to PCIe Gen5; paired with the I/O and Decompression being adjusted to match.

Last edited:

Audiophile

Regarding release/s for Pro. I'd hope to see them go ball-to-the-wall with upgrades for 3-4 existing first party PS5 games and a couple third party titles too; showcasing them in a keynote like House/Cerny did for the PS4 Pro. Release the hardware between Sept-Nov this year, then maybe a Star Wars: Outlaws Bundle end of year, followed by a Death Stranding 2 bundle and GTAVI bundle upon their respective release in 2025.

If they can wrangle 60fps out of GTAVI on the Pro then it should say in big writing on the box "The Only Place To Play GTAVI @ 60fps".

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
NXGamer confirms the PS5 Pro will lean heavily into ray-tracing and have an AI accelerated solution like DLSS.

The Rock Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Hunnybun

Seems great for the actual visuals, but I guess this means that games will need patches to take proper advantage. My hope was that all the games with dynamic res would get an automatic boost, but seems like that'll be quite minimal if the raw tflop increase is only 40-50%.

Mr.Phoenix

Not if they are keeping the same PS5 visual settings and just running at higher framerates. To accomplish that what they need is more bandwidth, not more RAM. If they are doubling or quadrupling texture quality, increasing rez from 4K to 8K, doubling geometry assets...etc, then yeah, they would need more RAM.

They aren't though.

winjer

Gold Member
Not if they are keeping the same PS5 visual settings and just running at higher framerates. To accomplish that what they need is more bandwidth, not more RAM. If they are doubling or quadrupling texture quality, increasing rez from 4K to 8K, doubling geometry assets...etc, then yeah, they would need more RAM.

They aren't though.

But doing things in higher resolution, means using a bit more memory.
So imagine a buffer at 1440p: 2560x1440x32= 115.2MB
But at 2160p= 3840x2160= 259.2MB
And games use several buffers, so this can increase quickly.
A PS5 Pro won't need to double vram, but it will need a bit more. Maybe 20GB, on a 320 bit bus.
That would give more bandwidth and more memory.

IDWhite

This is going to make the price jump considerably

I know. But if they don't add more RAM, bandwidth and cache making a bigger GPU whit focus in RT is a non sense. The use of the tempest engine on the current Ps5 is very limited due to bandwidth constraints, and they know it but the space and money needed to include it on the SoC is much more affordable than making a bigger and complex GPU.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

But doing things in higher resolution, means using a bit more memory.
So imagine a buffer at 1440p: 2560x1440x32= 115.2MB
But at 2160p= 3840x2160= 259.2MB
And games use several buffers, so this can increase quickly.
A PS5 Pro won't need to double vram, but it will need a bit more. Maybe 20GB, on a 320 bit bus.
That would give more bandwidth and more memory.
That's not what I think the PS5pro is designed to do. I don't believe they are even trying to uprez current PS5 games. As I keep saying, I believe their intention is to maintain the majority of the current settings, and just run them at higher framerates. So games that are already doing 4K@30fps or 1440p@30fps in their quality mode, will be doing the same at 60fps. You don't need more RAM for that, what you need is more bandwidth. Hence why they seem to be doing just that.

And mem PHY controllers take up a lot of die space too, so anyway they can avoid that, they would.

King Dazzar

That's not what I think the PS5pro is designed to do. I don't believe they are even trying to uprez current PS5 games. As I keep saying, I believe their intention is to maintain the majority of the current settings, and just run them at higher framerates. So games that are already doing 4K@30fps or 1440p@30fps in their quality mode, will be doing the same at 60fps. You don't need more RAM for that, what you need is more bandwidth. Hence why they seem to be doing just that.

And mem PHY controllers take up a lot of die space too, so anyway they can avoid that, they would.
You'd hope at a minimum its going to push higher resolutions on games running DSR and keep them at the maximum resolution.

Anyway, cant we have some corruption in the Sony camp please and have some specs properly leaked/confirmed? I'm sure there must be someone willing to breach an NDA for a tenner lol? There must be someone, surely? A photo at least?

SonGoku

, you are basically taking a $130+ APU and making it act like a sub $80 APU. Or they are making two versions of the APU, basically a PS5pro ($130+) and PS5 ($80) version, in which case the question becomes why go through all that and do even more R&D to get the vase PS5 variant of that chip when they already have a perfectly fine PS5 APU?
Thats exactly what im asking, cant they "recycle" the Pro APU R&D for the Slim APU? if its almost the exact same APU with just GPU bits halved so to speak with just less CUs. Texture Units, ROPs, Cache etc
This way both APUs share the R&D cost making it cheaper than designing two APUs independently

Last edited:

paolo11

So ff7 remake/rebirth/part 3 and ff16 can do quality 60fps on ps5 pro??

Mr.Phoenix

You'd hope at a minimum its going to push higher resolutions on games running DSR and keep them at the maximum resolution.

Anyway, cant we have some corruption in the Sony camp please and have some specs properly leaked/confirmed? I'm sure there must be someone willing to breach an NDA for a tenner lol? There must be someone, surely? A photo at least?
Thats inherently how DRS works. They set a framerate target, and adjust the resolution dynamically to maintain that framerate. So I don't see any reason why not.
Thats exactly what im asking, cant they "recycle" the Pro APU R&D for the Slim APU? if its almost the exact same APU with just GPU bits halved so to speak with just less CUs. Texture Units, ROPs, Cache etc
This way both APUs share the R&D cost making it cheaper than designing two APUs independently
They can, but it just doesn't make any practical sense. Because its not needed. The base PS5 APU, has already had its R&D done and dusted. Since 2019/2020 to be exact. Node shrinks on an existing architecture require very little extra R&D. So why complicate the PS5pro R&D just to accommodate something that's not even needed?

And more importantly, don't get carried away by our oversimplification of what a PS5pro is vs a PS5 APU. While on here we can say things like "they just add 20CU more, more cache, same CPU"...etc. In truth, there are a lot more granular differences between them. Eg. the schedulers would be completely different. The graphics command processor would be different too, and if its based on RDNA3 and up, even the CUs themselves are different.
So ff7 remake/rebirth/part 3 and ff16 can do quality 60fps on ps5 pro??
That my belief yes. or not what's the point of the PS5pro?

Loxus

That can make sense if they're using 60CUs with 6 disabled for yields.

PS5 Pro - 3 Shader Engines, 2 CUs or 1 WGP disabled per Shader Engine. For a total of 54 CUs enabled.

PS5 - Same chip but 1 Shader Engine disabled along with 2 CUs or 1 WGP disabled for each of the remaining 2 Shader Engines.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member

My expectation is that the PS5 Pro will be an higher res PS5. Similar to what the PS4 Pro was to the PS4.
Since we don't have any real specs at the moment, there is nothing we can truly determine.

On the other hand, We also don't know how much vram current PS5 games are using.
Maybe they are already using the whole vram of the console. Or maybe they still have some room left, so the pro won't even need extra ram.
As usual, we are just speculating.

My expectation is that the PS5 Pro will be an higher res PS5. Similar to what the PS4 Pro was to the PS4.
Since we don't have any real specs at the moment, there is nothing we can truly determine.

On the other hand, We also don't know how much vram current PS5 games are using.
Maybe they are already using the whole vram of the console. Or maybe they still have some room left, so the pro won't even need extra ram.

The PS4 Pro couldn't target higher framerates because they were using the same trashy Jaguar CPU, I'm guessing they were tied down to it for BC and silicon reasons.

As for the PS5 Pro, there's less of a CPU bottleneck across the major titles, and I think Sony are targeting both framerate and resolution increases - but of course it will be up to the developer on how they want to push the metal on their title.

Also, let's not pretend that last time around they launched the PS4 Pro with anything major, like, the original Horizon: Zero Dawn didn't come out until nearly four months after Pro's release.
I'm not really disagreeing with you, but I bought my PS4Pro to play The Last Guardian.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

I would sooner expect some sort of AI hardware in the APU than expect them to be doing anything like this natively. Starting from the PS4pro, I think the industry has clearly shifted away from chasing resolutions. There is nothing to really uprez anymore in the traditional sense. We have temporal reconstructors, both AI and non-AI, dynamic resolution scaling, variable rate shading....etc. These are all things that confirm we are moving away from that rez-focused era. And no way sony is making hardware to focus on that instead of everything else they could be focusing on.
I think 12.5 - 13.5GB. I know it read it somewhere just can't remember exactly what it was.
I feel people probably don't get exactly what the RAM is used for in these consoles lol. But think of it this way, they were taking the PS4 games from 1080p to 4K CBR on the PS4pro. That was basically increasing their pixel budget from 2M to 4M. And even then they didn't need a RAM bump (per se).

Now, they are not taking anything up any resolutions the game isnt already running. So why would they need more RAM?

Eg. Lets take FF16 as an example. In its 30fps quality mode, its runs internally at a range of 1080p to 1440p, then uses spatial upscaling (basically FSR1) to take it up to 4K. Then its performance mode does the same, but its internal render range is 720p-1080p, and FSR'ed to 1440p. What would a PS5pro do here? The PS5pro, can take that quality mode, and not just lock it to 1440p internally, but also allow it to go to 60fps. And instead of using FSR1, it could then use the more costly, but better IQ FSR2. It can even allow for FSR3 frame gen in a special "smooth" mode that takes that 60fps quality mode to say 80-90fps with VRR. And all this applies to the performance mode respectively, which would then be locked to 1080p internally, and FSR'ed 2 to 4K with an unlocked framerate that allows it to range from 90-120fps.

With everything I just mentioned, you end up with a game that would look noticeably better than the current version, all the while maintaining higher framerates. And another benefit to this, is that this makes PS5pro support really easy, for current in-dev games and even for patching already released stuff. Because you are not really making a separate build of the game for the PS54pro.

Yeah sure make It slimer and even more noisy. The smaller version is already crap compared to the day one version in terms of build quality and noise levels.
I don't get, are you sitting like 3 feet from the console?

And I prefer my slim to my OG in every imaginable way.

Last edited:

shamoomoo

The PS4 Pro couldn't target higher framerates because they were using the same trashy Jaguar CPU, I'm guessing they were tied down to it for BC and silicon reasons.

As for the PS5 Pro, there's less of a CPU bottleneck across the major titles, and I think Sony are targeting both framerate and resolution increases - but of course it will be up to the developer on how they want to push the metal on their title.
That isn't entirely true, sometimes the Pro had a more stable frame rate even if the game didn't run at 60 fps.

Well, of course there is silence, Sony wants to sell the current PS5 and will wait until there are a couple of months left to announce the PS5 pro, and cancel it at this point with the SoC finished and the kits distributed... well, I see it as almost impossible, it will come out .

Just by being able to play the basic PS5 games at the maximum resolution and framerate available, the PS5 pro will be a good purchase, playing a TLOU2 at 4K 60fps, an FF7 Rebirth at native 4K and 60fps, etc...
Assuming the games are unlocked to 120 instead of just 60 it would be more like 4k 90fps (since they already do 45-50 on base)

Top Bottom